Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 6th November 2009, 09:54   #286
BHPian

Hey CL, nice that you had found some sort of enjoyment even when you didnt have the opportunity to travel in the train. looking for the days installment!
Majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 12:35   #287
Team-BHP Support

Very nice photos of the train. At least when I went around on the Darjeeling train, there were hardly any takers. I had almost the whole compartment for myself !
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 14:48   #288
BHPian

CL, Good afternoon. This is the 9th time I am logging in to thid thread to check if you have posted the days dosage. I am eagerly waiting for your update CL.
ElantraGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 15:32   #289
BHPian

Hello! Where are you? No updates,F5
Majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 00:23   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
CL, Good afternoon. This is the 9th time I am logging in to thid thread to check if you have posted the days dosage. I am eagerly waiting for your update CL.
I am so sorry Elantra and Majic. I was very busy today. I will make it up to you guys. Two posts coming up!
Chevy_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 02:29   #291
Senior - BHPian

Talking An encounter with Mr. Kandasamy!!!

We got down near the town and hired an auto and went back to our hotel. We were really tired and did not feel like doing anything. We ordered a bottle of mineral water and decided to rest for some time. One fact I realized was that I can drive my Chevy for 14 to 18 hours a day, without suffering even a slight discomfort, but the continuous bus rides really messed up my back!

Soon the nomad in me woke up and was raring to go to some unexplored territory. Wifey agreed grudgingly and got ready. Our next point was the Shrine of Mother Mary, en-route to Coonoor. I had seen the Church during our journey by bus and wanted to visit it badly.

We left for the shrine soon and reached there after a 20 minute drive. We liked the place a lot and spent quite a bit of time there. It was very serene there!

Name:  a Shrine enroute to Coonoor.JPG
Views: 2113
Size:  185.3 KB
Name:  b Wifey in the shrine.JPG
Views: 2033
Size:  178.8 KB

We started our journey back to Ooty later that afternoon and as always, enjoyed the drive thoroughly. There was very little traffic! We enjoyed the scenery and drove swiftly towards Ooty.

Name:  c Highway to Ooty.JPG
Views: 3127
Size:  190.3 KB
Name:  d Highway to Ooty.JPG
Views: 2004
Size:  172.7 KB
Name:  e Highway to Ooty.JPG
Views: 1992
Size:  185.9 KB
Name:  f Highway to Ooty.JPG
Views: 2375
Size:  125.7 KB

Our desire to cover good distance and reaching Ooty as fast as possible, went for a toss, as a torrential downpour started soon and we were forced to cut down on speed.

Name:  g Torrential downpour.JPG
Views: 1949
Size:  179.5 KB
Name:  h Downpour_woman trying in vain to escape.JPG
Views: 1870
Size:  170.2 KB

We also encountered a minor traffic jam and lost some time, when we neared Ooty town.

Name:  j Heavy traffic.JPG
Views: 1916
Size:  186.6 KB

The rain was really heavy and it caused a lot of water logging in the town. We had nothing much to do, so we drove around the city for some time, enjoying the rain and splashing water all around!

Name:  k Adams Fountain.JPG
Views: 2172
Size:  212.3 KB
Name:  l Way to Garden.JPG
Views: 1978
Size:  193.0 KB
Name:  m shops near Garden.JPG
Views: 2010
Size:  178.6 KB
Name:  n Water logging everywhere.JPG
Views: 1754
Size:  183.3 KB
Name:  o Adams Fountain.JPG
Views: 1725
Size:  184.0 KB
Name:  p Fountain.JPG
Views: 1696
Size:  181.6 KB
Name:  q Adams Fountain.JPG
Views: 1729
Size:  163.5 KB

We spotted the Nano for the second time!

Name:  i Here comes the Nano The first one in Ooty.JPG
Views: 1741
Size:  170.7 KB

Soon we parked our Chevy near Commercial Street and had a superb lunch! Needless to say, it was also a five course meal!!!

We went back to our hotel after lunch. We were happy with the way we spent our day and wanted to take it easy in the evening! So we decided to see a movie. We made enquiries at the Inn’s reception and decided to go for Mr. Kandasamy, starring Vikram. The other option we had was Kaminey. But I was disgusted after seeing its trailers and did not want to spoil my mood seeing such a movie. So we stuck to Mr. Vikram’s, Mr. Kandasamy!

Name:  o Film theatre_vikram starrer film.JPG
Views: 1967
Size:  270.2 KB

We went for the evening show at Alankar. The theatre was very poorly maintained. With great difficulty, we managed to find two unbroken seats. As soon as we sat on our chairs, a swarm of mosquitoes attacked us! I really wished that we had seatbelts! They were trying to fly us out of the theatre!!!

We somehow watched the whole movie. Well, I do not want to comment on the film! Let’s leave it to the critics!!!

We had a late dinner and called it a day by 11 pm. We were delighted that we made use of all the time we had! A day well spent, indeed!
Old 7th November 2009, 14:59   #292
BHPian

Owwwww you were uploading the picture at 2 in the morning is it? I can understand the pain that you guys went through by watching Kandasamy. It would have been hilarious to see your face when you came out of the theater. Ha ha ha.
Old 8th November 2009, 00:14   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Owwwww you were uploading the picture at 2 in the morning is it? I can understand the pain that you guys went through by watching Kandasamy. It would have been hilarious to see your face when you came out of the theater. Ha ha ha.
Yes Elantra, I was up posting some pics for you guys!

Well, I am not saying anything about Mr. Kandasamy! I do not want to create any controversies! If I begin to say something, all the suppressed emotions might come out!!!

To tell you the truth, our eyes were moist when we came out of the theatre! We were so sad that we wasted four hours of our precious lives!

The hangover of the film lasted for two days! My appetite totally vanished! I stopped eating chicken!!!

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 8th November 2009 at 00:25.
Old 8th November 2009, 07:58   #294
BHPian

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
To tell you the truth, our eyes were moist when we came out of the theatre! We were so sad that we wasted four hours of our precious lives!

The hangover of the film lasted for two days! My appetite totally vanished! I stopped eating chicken!!!
I understand your situation my friend. Its hilarious to know you stopped eating chicken for 2 days . I really laughed to my hearts conent as soon as I saw this message.You can be adventurous while visiting new places but not when watching tamil movies. You need to be well informed my friend. Next time you ake a trip to the south, buzz me i might be able to give you some good inputs.
Old 8th November 2009, 12:19   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I understand your situation my friend. Its hilarious to know you stopped eating chicken for 2 days . I really laughed to my hearts conent as soon as I saw this message.You can be adventurous while visiting new places but not when watching tamil movies. You need to be well informed my friend. Next time you ake a trip to the south, buzz me i might be able to give you some good inputs.
Hi Elantra, thank you friend! Believe me, we weren't trying to be adventurous, when we thought of watching that wretched movie! What we wanted to be a fun filled evening, turned out to be one of the most nauseating experiences of the whole trip!

Team, I tried till 4am today, to post the next set of pics, but they simply refused to get attached! So my next post will be coming up shortly! We're going to Pykara!
Old 8th November 2009, 14:15   #296
Senior - BHPian

Default Day 16 – Pykara Lake

Day 16 – Pykara Lake

We were eagerly looking forward to the 16th day of our journey, because we wanted to make it special. We planned to go to Pykara Lake for boating that day.

We woke up by 8 am that day. We both still had a slight headache and a hangover after watching that wretched movie, the previous evening! We were able to cheer up only after drinking three to four cups of coffee!

We left our Inn by 9 am and straightaway went to a nearby restaurant and had masala dosas for breakfast! We desisted from talking about our miserable experience the previous night! The last thing we wanted was a relapse of the hangover!!!

We started our expedition by 10:15 am and straightaway went to Charring Cross and took the highway to Mysore. Soon we were out of the town limits. To say that the highway was superb is an understatement! It was excellent!!!

Name:  k Beautiful roads.JPG
Views: 1711
Size:  307.5 KB
Name:  l Beautiful roads.JPG
Views: 1715
Size:  274.8 KB

Even though there were innumerable twists and turns, I could maintain a steady speed of 70-80 km/hr. The highway was flanked by dense forests on both sides and the scenery was breathtaking!

Name:  a Highway to Mysore.JPG
Views: 1747
Size:  300.4 KB
Name:  d Highway.JPG
Views: 1563
Size:  279.3 KB
Name:  e Highway.JPG
Views: 1587
Size:  281.2 KB
Name:  f Dense forests.JPG
Views: 1646
Size:  303.0 KB
Name:  g Sharp turns everywhere.JPG
Views: 1543
Size:  248.2 KB
Name:  h Dense forests.JPG
Views: 1541
Size:  220.4 KB
Name:  i Mist covered forest.JPG
Views: 2386
Size:  192.4 KB
Name:  j Tall trees everywhere.JPG
Views: 1731
Size:  264.4 KB

The highway was a bit dark, because of the trees! They seemed to completely block out the sun’s rays at some places. Therefore, to be on the safer side, I switched on my headlights. Most of the oncoming vehicles did not follow this simple safety precaution. It is much easier to see a vehicle when it has its lights on, in such dark conditions!

We continued our drive and soon reached the Ninth Mile. It is a tourist spot and countless films were shot there. We decided to give that point a miss!

Name:  b Ninth Mile Point.JPG
Views: 2374
Size:  219.4 KB
Name:  c Ninth Mile.JPG
Views: 3196
Size:  131.1 KB

Our next point of interest was the dam. Photography is prohibited there, but wifey managed to capture the dam expertly! She had turned into a very good shutterbug!

Name:  m Bridge towards Pykara.JPG
Views: 1994
Size:  276.7 KB
Name:  n Dam_photography prohibited_wifey managed to sneak in one shot.JPG
Views: 1579
Size:  177.5 KB

The scenery was awesome!

Name:  o Beautiful scenery.JPG
Views: 3112
Size:  166.0 KB
Name:  p dense forest.JPG
Views: 1569
Size:  206.3 KB
Old 8th November 2009, 16:47   #297
Senior - BHPian

We covered 22 kilometres of silken highway and took the left turn and entered the jungle trail, which lead to Pykara, which is the largest river in the Nilgiris. We were taken aback to see that the trail was not at all in a good condition. There were deep potholes everywhere.

Name:  a Trail to Pykara.JPG
Views: 1490
Size:  287.3 KB
Name:  b Trail to Pykara.JPG
Views: 1482
Size:  261.4 KB
Name:  c Trail to Pykara.JPG
Views: 1559
Size:  283.9 KB
Name:  d Dense forests.JPG
Views: 1602
Size:  251.4 KB
Name:  e Huge potholes_trail to Pykara.JPG
Views: 1893
Size:  228.0 KB
Name:  f Craters.JPG
Views: 1445
Size:  232.2 KB
Name:  g Finally_good road.JPG
Views: 1691
Size:  261.5 KB

We dodged some craters and drove through the rest and reached the lake.

The first sight we saw, when we neared the parking area, was two monkeys sitting on top of a car. We were shocked to see them biting and twisting a car’s antenna!

Name:  h Monkey business_tearing and chewing the antenna.JPG
Views: 1788
Size:  238.8 KB

Sadly the owner was nowhere to be seen! I hoped that he wouldn’t faint when he saw the damage done to his car!

We parked our Chevy in the main parking lot, further inside the premises and walked towards the TTDC boat club. The scenery was awesome!

Name:  i Pykara.JPG
Views: 1551
Size:  200.5 KB
Name:  j Pykara.JPG
Views: 1446
Size:  186.1 KB
Name:  k Pykara.JPG
Views: 1452
Size:  159.0 KB
Name:  l Parking.JPG
Views: 1544
Size:  251.9 KB
Name:  q Pykara.JPG
Views: 1428
Size:  166.7 KB
Name:  r Beautiful clouds.JPG
Size:  145.1 KB
Name:  s Boat club entrance.JPG
Views: 1825
Size:  233.0 KB
Name:  t Pykara Lake.JPG
Views: 1478
Size:  142.2 KB
Name:  u Wharf_Boats.JPG
Views: 1441
Size:  216.4 KB

I saw the monkeys still sitting on the car. I picked up a twig and chased them away! Then I noticed why the monkeys were attracted to that particular spot. I was very angry to see some ignorant drivers feeding the monkeys! I think this is precisely the reason why the monkeys do not have any respect towards humans! The best example of how the monkeys have changed for the worse was witnessed at Moir’s Point, in Kodai. We had seen monkeys chasing a child for his corn! If the boy hadn’t thrown the corn away, the monkeys definitely would have bitten him! It was a horrifying scene! I have only one advice, do not feed the monkeys! And always be careful, they will attack you, if they see food in your possession!

We took some beautiful pics of the lake and went to the boat house. They had motor boats of different sizes and capacities, but none to fit just the two of us! I was not keen on pedal boats, so we waited for some time to go in a shared boat.

Name:  l Pykara Lake.JPG
Views: 1463
Size:  210.8 KB
Name:  m Boat club.JPG
Views: 2323
Size:  257.3 KB
Name:  n Effects of Autmn_beautiful tree.JPG
Views: 1390
Size:  254.1 KB
Name:  o Pykara Lake.JPG
Views: 1528
Size:  149.0 KB

I was happy to note that the boats were converted to run on LPG. Though the system did not seem very safe and looked primitive, it was helping the environment! I had heard how diesel and oil used to pollute the lake! We waited for some time and finally hired a six-seater motor boat. We shared the boat with a family of three from Trichy. There was no rule about wearing life jackets!

Name:  p Motor boat_runs with gas.JPG
Views: 1554
Size:  221.3 KB

Soon we were cruising in the lake! The view was awesome! The weather was really good and we enjoyed every minute we spent cruising in the lake!

Name:  v View from the boat.JPG
Views: 1424
Size:  253.9 KB
Name:  w Lake.JPG
Views: 1372
Size:  211.3 KB
Name:  x Lake.JPG
Views: 1358
Size:  162.8 KB
Name:  y Lake.JPG
Views: 1347
Size:  166.9 KB
Name:  z Lake_view from our boat.JPG
Views: 1377
Size:  241.5 KB
Name:  z1 Lake.JPG
Views: 1327
Size:  158.4 KB
Name:  z2 Lake shore_some animals drinking water.JPG
Views: 1530
Size:  253.3 KB
Name:  z3 Boat in the lake.JPG
Views: 1395
Size:  199.9 KB

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 8th November 2009 at 16:50.
Old 8th November 2009, 21:03   #298
BHPian

I have to hand it out to you my friend, these are the best shots of pykara that I have seen. They are awesome and I Wish I could travel to Ooty right now.
Old 9th November 2009, 09:32   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have to hand it out to you my friend, these are the best shots of pykara that I have seen. They are awesome and I Wish I could travel to Ooty right now.
Hey Elantra, thanks for appreciating my photos. I am posting only selected ones from the 3500 odd snaps we clicked! More on Pykara coming up shortly!
Old 9th November 2009, 15:05   #300
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Boating in Pykara....

We had opted for a half hour cruise in the lake. Our co-passengers in the boat were very friendly and we stuck up a conversation in no time. The gentleman was a professional photographer and he owned a studio in Trichy. His son was a school student and the mother was a housewife.

Name:  k Our copassengers.JPG
Views: 1372
Size:  164.0 KB

That gentleman asked me why I chose Sony as my first DSLR. I explained the reasons and he just smiled knowingly. He offered to click our snap and did a very good job!

Name:  c Chevy Couple.JPG
Views: 1359
Size:  214.0 KB

We went very far into the lake and were mesmerized by the view all around us!

Name:  a Pykara Lake.JPG
Views: 1390
Size:  209.7 KB
Name:  b Boating in Pykara.JPG
Views: 1660
Size:  283.8 KB
Name:  d Pykara_mountains in the background.JPG
Views: 1530
Size:  172.7 KB
Name:  e Dense forests_Pykara.JPG
Views: 1322
Size:  159.1 KB
Name:  f Pykara Lake.JPG
Views: 1310
Size:  206.1 KB
Name:  g Pykara Lake.JPG
Views: 1356
Size:  139.7 KB
Name:  h Pykara_huge mountains.JPG
Views: 1294
Size:  169.9 KB
Name:  i Boating.JPG
Views: 1306
Size:  275.1 KB
Name:  j Beautiful mountain.JPG
Size:  167.3 KB
Name:  l Pykara.JPG
Views: 1281
Size:  199.5 KB
Name:  m Water is sooooo green.JPG
Views: 1246
Size:  271.8 KB
Name:  n Boating.JPG
Views: 1224
Size:  236.1 KB
Name:  o Boat running on LPG.JPG
Views: 1220
Size:  287.3 KB
Name:  p Boating in Pykara.JPG
Views: 1204
Size:  269.5 KB
Name:  q Boat_jetty.JPG
Views: 1213
Size:  313.0 KB
Name:  r Boat Jetty.JPG
Views: 1209
Size:  291.6 KB

We returned to solid ground totally invigorated, after the exhilarating cruise.

Name:  s Boat Jetty.JPG
Views: 1195
Size:  228.9 KB
Name:  t Wifey on the Wharf.JPG
Views: 1217
Size:  178.2 KB
Name:  u The wharf_Chevy Lover.JPG
Views: 1193
Size:  182.0 KB
Name:  v Beautiful clouds.JPG
Views: 1162
Size:  137.0 KB