Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 16th November 2009, 10:22   #331
Senior - BHPian

You have excellent pictures of those tea estates there. The greenery is just astounding. It reminds me of my native place kerala. This is going to be one long travelogue!
longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 11:21   #332
BHPian

Thumbs up

Chevy_Lover,

One word to describe this thread: Marvelous. Great photographs. I must appreciate your patience to post so many photographs to make this thread such an interesting one. The photo of the eucalyptus trees and the road is superb and the pictures of fog. Reminds me of the stills from the movie called Gitanjali.

Thanks..
Indian Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 16:28   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Ranger View Post
Chevy_Lover,

One word to describe this thread: Marvelous. Great photographs. I must appreciate your patience to post so many photographs to make this thread such an interesting one. The photo of the eucalyptus trees and the road is superb and the pictures of fog. Reminds me of the stills from the movie called Gitanjali.

Thanks..
Thanks a lot for your comments, Indian Ranger. I feel that selecting the right photos for each post and part of the story is more time consuming! I am happy that readers are enjoying my story and pics.

@Longhorn, tea estates in Kerala, my homestate too, is simply out of this world. I had the good fortune of spending some days in Wallardie Estate near Kumily, many years back. It was heavenly! I still remember that stay of mine fondly. The drive to Chenkara from Wallardie is amazing!!!
Chevy_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 19:51   #334
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Our return journey starts….

Day 18 – Day for rest and recuperation

We woke up on day 18 of our trip by 9 am. We had decided to spend the whole day relaxing and doing nothing. We had a grueling three day drive ahead of us and we wanted to take it easy that day! We had a heavy breakfast of Uthappas from Saravanas in Commercial Street. We loved their coffee. It was strong and the same time, very tasty!

We spent the rest of the morning loitering around Charring Cross. We stocked up on chocolates and fudges from King’s Bakery. We also tried the famous Ooty apples. Their prices had gone up astoundingly! I still remembered buying 15 apples for Rs. 10 when I visited Ooty in 1993. The inflation in prices somehow seemed irrational! But I must say that the apples were so juicy and just melted in our mouths!!

We returned to our Inn by evening and had an early dinner and retired for the night by 9 pm.

Day 19 – Our return journey starts….

We decided to start our journey leisurely. We woke up by 10 am and had a nice breakfast from the Inn. We finished the little packing that was remaining in no time and loaded our luggage in our Chevy. We also packed enough mineral water and chocolates for the day. I checked Chevy thoroughly and was completely satisfied. Finally, we were good to go.

We hit the road at 12 pm sharp and passed Charring Cross and joined the Mysore highway in no time. We were a bit sad to leave Ooty. The beauty of the Nilgiris was captivating and had left a lasting impression in our minds. We felt so close to nature when we were there. We bid adieu to Ooty for one final time, with a promise to return soon!

Though we had traversed the Mysore highway innumerable times, the natural beauty of the place never ceased to amaze me.

Name:  a Highway to Mysore.JPG
Views: 4541
Size:  275.6 KB
Name:  b Highway to Mysore.JPG
Views: 3125
Size:  292.1 KB
Name:  c Highway to Mysore.JPG
Views: 2914
Size:  191.2 KB
Name:  d Highway to Mysore_farmers on their tractor.JPG
Views: 2957
Size:  219.1 KB
Name:  e Highway to Mysore_beautiful.JPG
Views: 2882
Size:  203.3 KB
Name:  f Highway to Mysore_beautiful trees.JPG
Views: 2820
Size:  281.1 KB
Name:  g Highway to Mysore_beware of cows.JPG
Views: 2622
Size:  315.6 KB
Name:  h Highway to Mysore.JPG
Views: 2455
Size:  291.1 KB
Name:  i Highway to Mysore.JPG
Views: 2414
Size:  303.2 KB
Name:  j Highway to Mysore_an empty tourist spot_9th mile.JPG
Views: 4336
Size:  143.6 KB
Name:  k Highway to Mysore.JPG
Views: 2312
Size:  302.7 KB
Name:  l Highway to Mysore.JPG
Views: 2344
Size:  301.2 KB
Name:  m Highway to Mysore_carrot sellers.JPG
Views: 2243
Size:  242.5 KB
Name:  n Highway to Mysore_step cultivation.JPG
Views: 2671
Size:  265.4 KB

I decided to drive through Gudalur and avoid taking the Masinagudi route. The last thing I wanted was any unforeseen delay! My decision paid rich dividends, as we were able to cover good distance without encountering any hurdles!

We came across a beautiful pond en-route. The scenery around it was breathtaking! It was picture perfect!

Name:  o Highway to Mysore_Beautiful pond.JPG
Views: 2560
Size:  167.8 KB
Name:  p Highway to Mysore_superb vista.JPG
Views: 2097
Size:  162.3 KB
Name:  q Highway to Mysore_beautiful vista.JPG
Views: 2110
Size:  146.5 KB
Name:  r Highway to Mysore_so beautiful.JPG
Views: 2478
Size:  183.5 KB
Name:  s Highway to Mysore_how much grass can the cow eat.JPG
Views: 2293
Size:  182.1 KB
Name:  t Highway to Mysore_eucaluptus trees.JPG
Views: 3676
Size:  349.4 KB

We passed a small waterfall en-route and reached Gudalur by 2:30 pm, covering a distance of 52.6 kilometres.

Name:  u Highway to Mysore_a small waterfall.JPG
Views: 2293
Size:  281.6 KB
Name:  v Highway to Mysore_waterfall.JPG
Views: 2101
Size:  283.6 KB
Name:  w Highway to Mysore_beautiful landscape.JPG
Views: 2156
Size:  182.3 KB
Name:  x Highway to Mysore_dangerous roads.JPG
Views: 2051
Size:  193.2 KB
Name:  y Highway.JPG
Views: 1931
Size:  217.7 KB
Name:  z Highway_so peaceful to drive.JPG
Views: 9271
Size:  296.8 KB
Name:  z1 Beautiful mountain.JPG
Views: 2578
Size:  253.7 KB

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 17th November 2009 at 20:07.
Old 18th November 2009, 10:35   #335
Senior - BHPian

All I can say is vow! You really have a skill to take beautiful photographs. It make us feel as if we are right there in the middle.
longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 14:36   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
All I can say is vow! You really have a skill to take beautiful photographs. It make us feel as if we are right there in the middle.
Thanks Longhorn. Most of these pics were taken by my wifey. She took a crash course on the finer points of digital photography from me and she tried and tried till she got the perfect shot! Thanks to her perseverence, we got some amazing pics of the vista! I admire her never-say-die attitude!
Old 18th November 2009, 16:41   #337
BHPian

Fantastic, i am back after 4 days of no broad band connection and i aldready see the thread is ending, please keep the narration going on , splendid, really did missing this thread.
Majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 20:08   #338
BHPian

Chevy lover, looks like you have taken the long route back to Mudumalai/Bandipur.
Any reason you didnt take the Kalhatty ghats route (Famous 32 hair pin bends). Thats more scenic too..
rabnawaz_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 23:36   #339
BHPian

Chevy_lover,
Excellent travelogue ! I am a silent fan for this thread till now. Everyday I check for this thread as soon as I start my pc . Recent times, I guess due to your health you are not able to update the travelogue frequently. But that is fine. Health is most important. Waiting for the rest of the journey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabnawaz_b View Post
Chevy lover, looks like you have taken the long route back to Mudumalai/Bandipur.
Any reason you didnt take the Kalhatty ghats route (Famous 32 hair pin bends). Thats more scenic too..
rabnawaz_b,

If you check eariler posts, chevy lover tried the 32 hair pin bend but ended up returning back to Ooty on account of heavy fog. Now inorder not to encounter such surprises ( fog etc...), he might have choosen this route as the travel will now be till pune .
sriswe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 23:39   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabnawaz_b View Post
Hi Rabnawaz, I took the longer Gudalur route. I had gone to Kalhatty ghat two days prior to our journey and almost got stuck in heavy fog. We had to turn back midway.

I did not want to take any chances on the day of our journey. Moreover, the Gudalur route is much more smoother and well maintained. Kalhatty was just a jungle trail.

After surviving two tyre bursts earlier, I did not want to take any more chances. As I mentioned earlier in my travelogue, I felt that my luck was really excellent and working overtime! I simply did not want to tempt fate again!

I may sound paranoid. But when everything goes wrong during the first day of a drive, and one loses two new tyres in a week, one tends to play safe!!
Old 19th November 2009, 09:46   #341
BHPian

Hey CL, i appreciate the fact that you didnt want to tempt you luck and played safe, i think one can still enjoy the Gudalur route too, Wise decision, Where is todays post?
Old 19th November 2009, 22:53   #342
BHPian

I did read that you were back half way from Kalhatty. But was curious because on the way back you left Ooty by 12 noon.
Yeah.. somtime luck over rules.
Go on. waiting for pics way back.
rabnawaz_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 03:13   #343
Senior - BHPian

Talking Mudumalai Tiger Reserve.....Tuskers!!!!

We entered Gudalur town and it was crowded as always. There was heavy traffic on the road and a slight drizzle had also started then. We kept up a steady speed of 50 km/hr and followed a Qualis at a safe distance. The jungle trail towards Mudumalai Tiger Reserve was very scenic and we had a fabulous experience driving through it. The road was superb!!

Soon we entered a small bamboo forest en-route to Mudumalai. The sight of the dense bamboo foliage was breathtaking. There were huge bamboo trees on either side of the narrow road and it bent towards the road. There was so much greenery around us! We were so carried away by the beauty of the place and it was a difficult job keeping my eyes on the road. The scene was simply out of this world and it cheered us up!

Name:  a Bamboo Forest_Mudumalai.JPG
Views: 2207
Size:  254.3 KB
Name:  b Bamboo Forest_Mudumalai.JPG
Views: 1857
Size:  224.6 KB
Name:  c Bamboo Forest_Mudumalai.JPG
Views: 1966
Size:  275.2 KB
Name:  d Bamboo Forest_Mudumalai.JPG
Views: 1909
Size:  234.8 KB
Name:  e Bamboo Forest_Mudumalai.JPG
Views: 1806
Size:  240.8 KB
Name:  f Bamboo Forest_Mudumalai.JPG
Views: 2415
Size:  246.2 KB

We passed the bamboo forest and drove further and further into the forest. The road was brilliant and we drove on without any worries. There were lots of speed breakers all over the road, to regulate the speed of vehicles.

Name:  g Mudumalai Forest.JPG
Views: 9684
Size:  235.0 KB
Name:  h Tiger Reserve.JPG
Views: 2611
Size:  203.3 KB
Name:  i Mudumalai Forest_great roads.JPG
Views: 3806
Size:  269.5 KB

We came across numerous sign boards asking visitors not to trouble wildlife and not to go close to them to photograph.

Name:  zz Do not photograph wildlife.JPG
Views: 1980
Size:  276.8 KB

Little did we know that some jokers never read these sign boards! We had no inkling as to what we were about to witness!!! It was the perfect example of the stupidity and false bravado displayed by city dwellers!!! There was no way we could comprehend how educated people could leave their brains back at home, or in their cars and do something so astoundingly foolish! Here comes that story!

We spotted a tusker near a creek inside the forest. He was a huge domesticated pachyderm and we were wonderstruck when we saw him standing there with all his grandeur! He was busy drinking water from the brook and looked very relaxed. We were so happy that we were finally able see a tusker in his natural surroundings. We took some pics of the pachyderm from the safety of our car.

Name:  j A lone Elephant.JPG
Views: 2205
Size:  354.6 KB
Name:  k Elephant_Lone tusker.JPG
Views: 1775
Size:  358.5 KB
Name:  l Beautiful creek inside the forest.JPG
Views: 1929
Size:  321.4 KB
Name:  m Creek inside Mudumalai.JPG
Views: 1985
Size:  300.7 KB
Name:  n Tusker.JPG
Views: 1673
Size:  317.3 KB

Then suddenly my wifey let out a cry of bewilderment! Two boys from a Qualis alighted from the vehicle and walked down the jungle path and went near the creek. They began photographing the tusker and one guy even started his video camera. One guy was so busy clicking the tusker, that he did not notice that he was using flash on his point and shoot camera, which was definitely irritating the tusker. We shouted at them to go back to the safety of their car. Those geniuses were so busy with their tomfoolery that they did not pay us any attention.

Name:  o Some morons going near the Tusker.JPG
Views: 1708
Size:  282.3 KB
Name:  p Morons near the Tusker.JPG
Views: 1777
Size:  276.2 KB
Name:  q The Tusker getting angry.JPG
Views: 1684
Size:  237.8 KB
Name:  r Tusker retreating inside the forest.JPG
Views: 1901
Size:  264.2 KB

I don’t think they realized that they were playing with a two ton dynamite! Tuskers are known to have very volatile tempers and WILL attack an unknown human just to protect their territory! I had read earlier that a French woman was mauled by a lone tusker, when she went too close to him, to get a perfect shot! I couldn’t resist thinking how happy she must be now taking photographs of Angels (or Devils!!!)

By this time, our shouts had alerted the female brigade in the Qualis. They also started shouting at the boys. The result of all this was a very annoyed tusker!!! He stopped drinking from the creek and slowly meandered back towards the jungle. We were stunned by the turn of events and were looking at each other, at a loss for words. We had in fact underestimated those boys! They turned out to be even bigger fools than we thought and shocked us with their next masterstroke. They started making noises and tried to grab the attention of the tusker!!!

He just stopped, trumpeted and turned back!

Name:  s Tusker_changed his mind and heading back to the creek.JPG
Views: 1669
Size:  252.9 KB

By this time, we were almost certain that we might witness the mauling of those guys! We quickly shifted into escape mode and started our Chevy.

The tusker started walking back swiftly to the creek.

Name:  t The Majestic Tusker.JPG
Views: 1712
Size:  268.2 KB
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-u-huge-tusker.jpg

This time, the boys were so petrified that they literally galloped back to their car! We were left wondering, where did all the bravery go, guys??? I think I remember seeing one guy taking a potty break soon after!!!

We had a hearty laugh at the expense of the boys and slowly continued our journey. We spotted another lone tusker soon after.

Name:  v Another Tusker.JPG
Views: 1648
Size:  282.3 KB
Name:  w Another tusker.JPG
Views: 1669
Size:  327.7 KB

That time, the boys did not even stop their car!!

We also saw some spotted deer in the forest. They were so very beautiful and so gentle!

Name:  x Some spotted deer.JPG
Views: 1691
Size:  360.8 KB
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-y-deer.jpg
Name:  z Deer.JPG
Views: 1626
Size:  404.4 KB
Old 20th November 2009, 09:28   #344
BHPian

Wow, nice photos of the tusker and the deers and interesting note on the brain drained photographers, i am sure they wouldnt travel thorugh Mudumalai range again.
Please continue
Old 20th November 2009, 10:27   #345
BHPian

Great Sighting there C_L. And yeah this stupidity displayed by the boys is very common. Its a good thing they managed to escape. The elephant is very deceptive in its speed and before you know they will be upon you. Morons!!

Awesome Greenery man!!
KRRaj is offline   Reply With Quote