Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 23rd November 2009, 14:15   #361
BHPian

Nice travelogue chevy lover. That orange colour building on the right hand side just after bandipur is the usual stop for Cigarettes
rabnawaz_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009, 14:41   #362
Senior - BHPian

Thank you everyone for the comments.

Team, I went on a road trip to Kerala in 2008 Aug. I have tons of photos of that trip. I did not write a travelogue then, as I had already posted one about our journey in 2007. I did not want to post two travelogues on the same subject.

My question is whether anyone will be interested in reading about a Pune - Trivandrum road trip of '08? The pics are wonderful, so should I post them? I will re-open my old travelogue, only if I get a positive answer from my esteemed readers!
Chevy_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009, 15:01   #363
BHPian

Talking

CL, there is no doubt that a travelogue from you is absolutely thrilling to read. So count me in. Just let me know how soon you can start that thread

Last edited by ElantraGT : 23rd November 2009 at 15:07.
ElantraGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009, 15:03   #364
BHPian

I am game for another travelogue
Old 23rd November 2009, 16:21   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
My question is whether anyone will be interested in reading about a Pune - Trivandrum road trip of '08? The pics are wonderful, so should I post them?
When are you starting? We all know the wonderful pics you have already posted in this travelogue and you are asking "Should I" ?

Last edited by longhorn : 23rd November 2009 at 16:23.
longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009, 17:33   #366
BHPian

CL, if you do have the time, please post your '08 travelogue. You will find a number of readers following the travelogue. Waiting eagerly
himavanth_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009, 21:35   #367
Senior - BHPian

Angry Drive to Channarayapatna.....

It started raining heavily as soon as we entered Mysore city. The city was full of speed breakers. I call it the ‘Bumpy City’! We had a torrid time negotiating all those bumps. The fact that it was raining heavily and all the auto drivers were on a suicide mission, to reach their destination first, made matters worse for us. I could rarely keep up speeds of above 30 kmph.

We somehow dodged all the auto missiles and reached Srirangapatnam at 6pm. We then took the road to KR Pet. The road condition was very bad. There were unmarked bumps after each and every kilometre and we really got frustrated. The village road was very narrow and we wondered how it qualified as a state highway.

Soon the sun disappeared in the horizon for his siesta and the whole area was engulfed by darkness. There were no street lights anywhere and there was very little traffic on the road. I could not see any lights inside the roadside houses too. I switched on my projectors and thanked my lucky stars that I had the intellect to install extra lights.

There were not many local buses on the road and the villagers depended predominantly on private jeeps to fulfill their transportation needs. Most of the jeeps had extra lights/ projectors and those ignominious buggers had aimed it straight at the approaching vehicle’s driver’s eyes.

I had a nasty experience when a jeep driver came straight at me, with his projector lights on. Probably he was trying to scare me! I did not budge an inch and blasted my horns, switched on my second set of projectors and went straight, keeping my lane as there was no way I could go further to the left on that narrow road. That inglorious retard had to apply sudden brakes and stop right in the middle of the road as he was completely blinded by my 660W lights. I am sure that he will never try this with anyone in the near future. Let me add that I had his vehicle in sight all the time and I was in complete control and was ready to take evasive action, incase of any untoward incident.

After compromising thousands of speed breakers and rumbling strips, we reached KR Pet at 7.15 pm. I thought of staying in KR Pet for the night. But I changed my mind almost immediately as I saw the standard of the village. We decided to push on further till we reached Channarayapatna. We were a bit nervous, but I knew there was chance that we might run into a good hotel at CR patna. The name ‘Patna’ gave a glimmer of hope that the town might have a good hotel. We saw a big statue of Mother Mary as soon as we left the village. That sight was enough to calm our nerves and we knew God was with us always on our way.

We were back on the desolate highway in no time. I wanted to bang my head on my steering wheel when I drove on that highway. There were innumerable speed breakers on the road and we lost a tremendous amount of time as we had to slow down all the time. I decided then and there that I would rather drive 200 km extra to Bangalore, but I would never return to that highway, if I could. The bumps were probably designed as a back breaker. But I must say that there would be a sharp increase in the number of accidents in that route, if the bumps were removed. The jeep drivers were stupid maniacs. And the less said about the bus drivers, the better!!!

The road was completely dark. We even had trouble seeing each other inside our Chevy. I had to drive the rest of the way with all my projectors and I switched it off only for oncoming vehicles.

During the drive, I started coughing wildly inexplicably. We were driving with AC on at all times, even in Ooty, and were completely protected from the elements of nature and all the smoke and grime. We simply could not understand how I could contract a heavy cough out of the blue. We had not even got out of our car, except to have lunch.

We reached CR Patna at 8.30 pm. The approach road to the town was a total mess. We steered over those craters and reached the ‘city centre’. With the help of an elderly cop, we finally reached Hotel Kruthika. They had AC rooms, which was just ok for one night’s sleep.

We checked into the hotel and straightaway went to a medical store near by and bought some medicines for my throat. I had never had such a terrible cough and my throat was ablaze. Some halls and an expectorant helped in dousing the fire a bit, but I was completely drained after the severe bout of cough. We bought some fruits and had them for our dinner and retired for the night by 10 pm. I had trouble sleeping and had a dozen or more lozenges before I could doze off!

We had covered 257 kms from Ooty to reach CR Patna. We were surprised to see that we had travelled 3021.4 kilometres after we left our home in Pune.
Old 23rd November 2009, 21:53   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
Thank you everyone for the comments.

Team, I went on a road trip to Kerala in 2008 Aug. I have tons of photos of that trip. I did not write a travelogue then, as I had already posted one about our journey in 2007. I did not want to post two travelogues on the same subject.

My question is whether anyone will be interested in reading about a Pune - Trivandrum road trip of '08? The pics are wonderful, so should I post them? I will re-open my old travelogue, only if I get a positive answer from my esteemed readers!
Hi Chevy_ Lover : I have been on tbhp for over 4years but rarely post, except to answer questions or queries on Coorg. I must say that your travelogue is awesome. It transported me from my room to all the places that you toured and brought me back. I think we would all love to read anything written by you, especially since it is written so well that it just captivates the mind.
princezahed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 15:53   #369
BHPian

I have always hated the Bangalore - Mysore Highway. Its the worst highway I have seen with sudden speed breakers.
Old 24th November 2009, 16:42   #370
BHPian

Mmmm, hi cl,sorry couldnt follow your thread, busy with the travel to Madurai and then starting of on the travelogue. I am in for your next travelogue also, please let it come, Pune -trivandrum. WOW
Majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 18:06   #371
Senior - BHPian

Default Day 20 – Drive towards civilization….

Day 20 – Drive towards civilization….

We woke up on day 20 of our journey at 7 am. I was still feeling very tired after the severe bout of cough the previous day. I had a sip of the expectorant and some halls too. We went to the restaurant in the hotel and had Idlis. The restaurant was way below city standards. They did not have even mineral water in stock. We somehow finished the food and went to a store nearby and stocked up on water and chocolates.

We started our journey from CR Patna at 9.45 am. The road leading to Hassan was far better than what we had encountered earlier. It was quite well maintained and there was not too much traffic, just the Lorries and small Mahindra trucks transporting goods.

We reached Hassan at 10.30 am. The road turned into a mud trail almost immediately. We decided to fill up before tackling the stretch. We went to an HP pump and filled 27.23 litres @ Rs. 36.73. I was very happy to see that my Chevy’s mileage was 15.76 after filling up from Ooty and even after all the low speed ghat driving in 3rd and 4th gear!

We hit the roads again after refilling. The less said about that road, the better. It was a complete mess and we drove at 30 km/hr in 2nd gear most of the time. We stopped en-route to buy some more vicks tabs for my throat. The drive was so boring and some of the potholes were so big that my Chevy’s crash guard base hit the ground.

Wifey was really frustrated after being thrown around in our Chevy. We were in no mood to take photos, but still managed to click two.

Name:  A terrible roads.jpg
Views: 1510
Size:  80.4 KB
Name:  b What a mess no road.jpg
Views: 1689
Size:  81.6 KB

We reached Asikere town by 12.10 pm and continued our drive after a small drink break. We reached Kadur by 12.50 pm. The road condition was really bad in stretches. It was one of the worst roads I had ever come across!

We reached the outskirts of Shimoga at 2.25 pm after covering 446 kms from Ooty. We captured a beautiful photo of the sky there!

Name:  c Sky near Shimoga.jpg
Views: 1484
Size:  76.0 KB
Name:  d Sky near Shimoga.jpg
Views: 2112
Size:  73.2 KB

We were exhausted and wanted to rest and have our lunch. So we went inside Shimoga city and found a good family restaurant with separate AC hall. It’s name was Pankara. We had Biriyanis for lunch. My cough had subsided a bit by then.

We started our journey at 3 pm. The next town en-route was Honnali and we passed it by 4.45 pm. The road was very narrow with lots of unmarked speed-breakers and there were lots of potholes.

We finally reached Harihar by 5.25 pm and took a left turn and entered our favourite NH4. We immediately started our drive to Hubli. We decided to stop for the night at Hubli. As soon as we entered the highway, wifey captured a beautiful sunset.

Name:  e Sunset near Ranebennur.jpg
Views: 1787
Size:  64.7 KB
Name:  f Sunset_Ranebennur.jpg
Views: 1445
Size:  58.9 KB
Name:  g Sunset.jpg
Views: 1375
Size:  57.1 KB
Name:  h Sunset.jpg
Views: 1347
Size:  69.4 KB

We negotiated the terrible roads in Ranebennur and continued our drive. It started to rain very heavily soon. We had some Lorries for company and everyone drove in a convoy. It was the most sensible thing to do. Even with six lights, we were having trouble seeing more than 10 feet ahead. It rained for almost an hour and we drove at 40 - 50 km/hr. The whole area was pitch dark. It was so very scary!

Name:  i Heavy rain ahead.jpg
Views: 1412
Size:  57.8 KB
Name:  j Pitch dark_rain approaching.jpg
Views: 1404
Size:  40.7 KB
Name:  k Pitch dark.jpg
Views: 1353
Size:  45.4 KB
Name:  l What an area So scary.jpg
Views: 1436
Size:  63.1 KB

We reached Bankapur toll plaza by 7pm. The rain stopped as soon as we crossed that area. The rest of the drive was very smooth and we reached Hubli at 7.50 pm. We drove around the city for some time checking out different hotels. We finally checked into Hotel Swathi by 9 pm. We straightaway had dinner from their restaurant. Their room was very spacious and we retired for the night by 10.30 pm.
Old 26th November 2009, 10:05   #372
BHPian

Good going, i think the cough must be a manifestation of the different climatic changes that you had been through! Good going, please continue!
Majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 10:22   #373
Senior - BHPian

So the travelogue is nearing completion. Only the last leg Hubli - Belgaum - Kolhapur- Pune remaining !
longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 11:24   #374
BHPian

chevy lover - you are amazing. keep writing. this is the first log i read on this site & is what made me glue to this site.
srikanthpotluri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 17:53   #375
Senior - BHPian

Talking Day 21 – The incredible road trip of a lifetime comes to an end!

Day 21 – The incredible road trip of a lifetime comes to an end!

We decided to take ample rest before starting the final part of our journey. We woke up only by 9 am and had our breakfast of Idlis and Uthappas from the hotel’s high class vegetarian restaurant. The food was ok.

My cough had subsided a bit in the morning. Wifey was very concerned about my health and asked me whether we should stay back in Hubli for one more day, for me to recuperate and then start our drive to Pune. It was a generous gesture from her part, but I was not at all ready to spend another day in the middle of nowhere, doing nothing. I wanted to reach home as soon as possible and start my antibiotics, as I was pretty sure by then that I had an infection.

We packed our bags and checked out of the hotel by 11 am. Loading and unloading our suitcases in our Chevy was always time consuming and we finally bid goodbye to the hotel and hit the road at 11.25 am. We straightaway went to a Shell pump and filled up Chevy. Diesel was a shade costly @ Rs. 38/litre and Chevy drank 31.71 litres. Approximate mileage from Hassan was 12.66. I wasn’t too worried as we had driven close to 50 kilometres in second gear, the previous day. The road condition was atrocious after Hassan.

We drove through the city after replenishing our stock of chocolates, water and snacks. I also bought a dozen lozenges and an expectorant. I was wary of guzzling the expectorant, as it was written on the bottle that the medicine could lead to drowsiness. But all my fears were laid to rest, when wifey started chatting with me. I could see that she was in such a cheerful mood and there was no way she would allow me to doze off!!!

With that faith re-affirmed, we hit the road again. Hubli was also a ‘bumpy’ city. There were lots of unmarked speed breakers and rumbling strips all over the city. The policemen had set up speed cameras at every turn and I had to keep my speeds well below 40 km/hr to avoid any fines. The local vehicles were also driving very slowly. And the result of all this was an excruciatingly slow drive to the highway. We managed to reach NH4 only at 12.35pm!!! It was one of the slowest drives of my life! I always maintain 110-120 km/hr whenever possible.

NH4 was like a breath of fresh air! We felt so happy the instant we touched the highway. I floored my accelerator and we were on our way to Pune!

I drove at 120 km/hr most of the time and passed Hattagiri toll plaza soon. We were not in a mood to waste any more time and sped towards the border of Maharashtra. We reached Kognoli at 2.15 pm and entered Maharashtra at 2.45 pm. We were really happy to be back in our home state.

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-x-nh4.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-y-nh4.jpg

We were not at all hungry and did not waste any more time. We reached Taswade at 3.30 pm. By this time there was heavy traffic on NH4. So we had to slow down a bit. The drive on NH4 was very refreshing after the drive though the obnoxious highways in Karnataka, during the previous two days. We enjoyed what was left of the highway journey tremendously.

Finally we reached the outskirts of Pune city at 5pm. We thanked God almighty for giving us this wonderful opportunity to experience nature at its best and for giving us such a safe journey back home. We entered our society’s gate at 5.15 pm. I finally switched off my darling’s engine for one final time! It was an incredibly emotional moment for us! We had just undertaken and completed a magnificent journey! We had travelled 1138 kilometres from Ooty.

My Chevy’s Odo read 79205 kms. We had driven a total of 3902.4 kilometres during the entire journey. We will cherish all the memories of this journey all our life!

One word of sincere gratitude to my dear wifey, who stood by me like the ‘Rock of Gibraltar’ and helped me drive safe . Without her, I would have lost my sanity at numerous junctures during the trip! She has evolved into a great photographer too! She took more than 3000 snaps! And each pic was a masterpiece!

Finally a word of thanks to all my dear readers, for coming along with us to all those beautiful places and whose words of encouragement kept me motivated to pen down this travelogue and post over 1100 photos. I hope everyone enjoyed reading my travelogue as much as I enjoyed writing it!

One final question, would anyone be interested in seeing some unseen photos which I have compiled after years and years of travel to some of the most beautiful places in India? I will post those pics in this thread, if anyone is interested.

Thank you,
Chevy_ Lover

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 27th November 2009 at 17:56.