Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 17th May 2010, 18:02   #571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
C_L the route from Mysore to Ooty is superb. It has been completely relaid and it is very smooth. Speeds are decent. Day time, you can keep at 80kph and night times 120kph is no issue. There are no bumps the entire stretch from Mysore to Ooty except for those inside the Bandipur/Mudumalai National Park stretch.

and next time, dont bypass Bangalore. Would like to meet the dynamic duo in person.
Hey, thanks buddy. That is indeed welcome news.

Let's have a meet the next time I pass through Bangy!
Chevy_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 18:51   #572
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
I usually drive with AC throughout. I have never switched off the AC even when driving through ghats. A very old habit!

I took these snaps at 1 pm. The summer sun was too bright. I had to make the pics look a bit dark and colourful through in-camera settings and some post processing.
They are amazingly bright and sharp! Waiting for the next lot.

In most cases you end up with some issue or the other before you reach destination. This time it seems uneventful! How is that?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 19:49   #573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
They are amazingly bright and sharp! Waiting for the next lot.
In most cases you end up with some issue or the other before you reach destination. This time it seems uneventful! How is that?
Thanks Ampere. I am glad you liked the pics. It was a challenge photographing that beautiful landscape in the blazing sun. There was always a possibility of the photos becoming too bright and losing clarity! I followed some specific settings to retain the colour and depth of field.

Thankfully there were no issues with the vehicle. Actually there has never been ANY issue with my Chevy, ever. I always had problems because of his tyres. This time we had Goodyear Assurance tyres. Arguably, one of the best tyres from Goodyear!
Old 17th May 2010, 21:59   #574
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Mx6 - the nice high contrast image of the road shows the road as if it was not tarred.
Thanks for the comments Prowler. The road is actually not tarred. It's a mudroad, but smoothened with a roller I guess.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 22:33   #575
Senior - BHPian

After a short while, we drove to Commercial Street in our Chevy. We had our lunch from Biriyani Hut there. Their dishes were very tasty and we really enjoyed sampling those. After our lunch, we sent some time shopping. We recommended the King Star Chocolate Fudge highly and my sister and family bought it after sampling it. We also bought the famous Varkey, which we had missed by a whisker, the last time we went to Ooty. I must say that the Varkey tasted awesome. We were really happy that we got the opportunity to relish it.

After a short shopping stint in Commercial Street, we took my sister and fly for a short drive through the city. We drove past St. Stephen’s Church as the church was closed by then. We offered a short prayer to the almighty at the CSI church opposite to St. Stephen’s.

We then drove by the Botanical Gardens. My sister and family had visited the garden the previous day. We then went to Sacred Heart Cathedral near the garden. The church was really brilliant and we climbed up a hundred odd steps. We spent some time in prayers in the Church and returned back to the city. We returned back to my sister’s hotel and relaxed there till evening. We again got lucky and were able to capture an amazing sunset and some pics of the brilliant cloudscape of Ooty there!

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-1-evening_in_ooty.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-2-brilliant_clouds.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-3-what_scene.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-4-brilliant_clouds.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-5-sunset_at_the_lake.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-6-sunset_at_the_lake.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-7-magnificent_cloudy_sky.jpg

We had our dinner from the hotel and returned back to our hotel by 9 pm. We were still tired after our 1300+ km drive and went off to a deep slumber in 5 minutes flat!!

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 17th May 2010 at 22:37.
Old 18th May 2010, 06:29   #576
Team-BHP Support

How was the weather in Ooty? Current forecasts show it should have been in the range of 20-30C. Was it raining? (Cloudscapes do not say anything!)
Old 18th May 2010, 07:27   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How was the weather in Ooty? Current forecasts show it should have been in the range of 20-30C. Was it raining? (Cloudscapes do not say anything!)
It was warm during day time, probably 25 - 28C. But evenings were pretty cold. Probably 8 to 12C. There was no rain, but extremely sunny.
Old 18th May 2010, 18:00   #578
Senior - BHPian

Talking Day 4….. Avalanche...Here we come....

Day 4…..

We woke up totally rejuvenated and in a jovial mood on Day 4 of our journey by 8 am. It was also our last day in Ooty. We had visited almost all the touristy spots in Ooty during our last trip and those photos can be seen in the earlier pages of this thread. This time we were appalled to see huge crowds thronging all the tourist hot spots. The previous day, we had counted about 76 tourist buses inside the city! So we could imagine what to expect in the usual Gudalur circuit.

My brother and family had not visited Pykara, but we gave it a skip. Instead of Pykara, we decided to drive to Avalanche and Emerald Dam. We had deliberately avoided going to these two places last year, so that there would be something new left for us to see, when we went there this time. That decision turned out to be a masterstroke as we were sure that there wouldn’t be anyone at those spots.

We quickly got ready and drove to Hotel Darshan, where my brother was staying. They were ready and waiting for us. We left the hotel by 10 am, after a quick breakfast and soon we were on our way to see the hidden heaven of Ooty! We knew the route well and decided to skip the Fern Hill Palace, which was en-route. Avalanche Lake was about 28 kilometres from Ooty. The route was pretty straightforward and there were good signages everywhere.

We started our drive through the ghat section soon. There was only sparse traffic, with only some transport buses for company. The landscape changed almost immediately. We were surrounded by greenery all around us. The drive through the countryside was one of the most scenic we have ever done!!!

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-1-natue_at_its_best.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-2-cultivation_of_vegetables.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-3-cultivation_on_the_hills.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-4-good_shepards_in_the_background_and_local_houses_in_the_foreground.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-5-cultivation.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-6-step_cultivation.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-7-a_local_village.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-8-a_local_house.jpg

We soon came across the sign mentioning the right turn to Emerald Dam. We decided to go further ahead to Avalanche and visit Emerald Dam on our way back. We came across a magnificent view of a lake en-route.

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-9-lake_en_route_to_avalanche.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-10-lake_en_route_to_avalanche.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-11-lake_en_route_to_avalanche.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-12-lake_en_route_to_avalanche.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-13-lake_en_route_to_avalanche.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-14-houses_near_the_lake_en_route_to_avalanche.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-15-lake_en_route_to_avalanche.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-16-lake_en_route_to_avalanche.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-17-lake_en_route_to_avalanche.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-18-lake_en_route_to_avalanche.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-19-lake_en_route_to_avalanche.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-20-lake_en_route_to_avalanche.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-21-view_from_the_hills.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-22-lake_en_route_to_avalanche.jpg
Old 18th May 2010, 19:40   #579
Team-BHP Support

Amazing vistas ! One can keep soaking in! In fact I avoided even Conoor last time so that there are places to go again.
This time, when I go, I plan to do the toy train as well. (Waiting for the right time so that the kid can soak it in as well )
Old 18th May 2010, 21:38   #580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Amazing vistas ! One can keep soaking in! In fact I avoided even Conoor last time so that there are places to go again.
This time, when I go, I plan to do the toy train as well. (Waiting for the right time so that the kid can soak it in as well )
That idea is good. We avoided the Nilgiri train this time too! One more reason for us to head back to Ooty!!!!
Old 18th May 2010, 23:33   #581
Senior - BHPian

Talking Finally... Avalanche....

We continued our drive through smooth winding roads. Soon the hairpin curves started and we started descending downhill. We must have negotiated about 8 or 9 hairpins, when we saw the signboard leading us towards Avalanche.

The road became quite narrow soon and we slowed down. There was a Guest House of the Forest Department en-route to Avalanche. We drove about 8 kilometres inside dense forests and reached the Forest Department’s check post by 10.30 am.

The road condition was really pathetic. It is best to attempt this route only if your vehicle’s tyres are good! We couldn’t go beyond the check post without the permit, which we unfortunately didn’t have! But we were informed that there was nothing much beyond the check post, except for a pump house.

We parked our car near the check post and with the guard’s permission, walked towards the lake through a narrow forest trail. After a trek of five minutes, we reached the lake.

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-1-forest_trail_leading_to_lake_at_avalanche.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-2-forest_trail.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-3-forest.jpg

The lake was really very gorgeous. There was also a beautiful forest stream running to the lake! The scene was simply divine! Nature was at its unspoilt best! We had the whole lake for ourselves! Its exquisite beauty was beyond compare!

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-4-stream.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-5-stream_and_forest.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-6-crystal_clear_waters.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-7-beautiful_sight.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-8-as_big_as_a_ground.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-9-natural_gorge.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-10-lake_at_avalanche.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-11-lake_and_an_island.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-12-thick_dense_forest.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-13-dense_reserve_forest.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-14-mountains_surrounding_the_lake.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-15-dense_forest.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-16-my_sister_and_fly.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-17-the_chevy_couple_with_my_brother_and_niece.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-18-a_magnificent_mountain_stream.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-19-beautiful_stream.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-20-my_family_returning_to_the_checkpost.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-21-a_micro_flower.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-22-forest_trail.jpg

We saw evidences of animals frequenting the waterhole. We were really very happy that we were finally able to fulfill our cherished dream!
Old 19th May 2010, 15:35   #582
Team-BHP Support

CL?
How bad is the road condition till the check post? Did you also check emerald dam?
Old 19th May 2010, 16:55   #583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
CL?
How bad is the road condition till the check post? Did you also check emerald dam?
The road was horrible, Ampere!

It seemed that the trail was not tarred for a decade! There were huge water-filled potholes everywhere and I had to be extremely careful when negotiating those craters.

Emerald is coming up next!

Here is an example of what to expect there for six kilometres!
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-an_example_of_the_road_condition.jpg

Hey, one question, is anybody really reading my thread? Should I continue? I see very less responses so far!

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 19th May 2010 at 16:59.
Old 19th May 2010, 17:14   #584
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess that is the road to Avalanche(place). It was in shambles. Was the Trout hatchery open?
The road to Avalanche lake and Emerald lake had only the last few meters (just after the Emerald Dam) bad when I visited.

CL an observation - Vanity seems to be your favourite sin

Last edited by laluks : 19th May 2010 at 17:18.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 17:20   #585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post

Hey, one question, is anybody really reading my thread? Should I continue? I see very less responses so far!
I am reading. I am quite sure your usual fan following is also reading.
KRRaj is offline   Reply With Quote