Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 25th May 2010, 23:26   #646
Senior - BHPian

Sir Ji, Hotel Leela Palace is a very small hotel, in one of the lanes opposite to the new bus stand. The room was tiny. I would never go there again. Not recommended. We stayed there only because we did not want to spend 2.5k at Cenney. We did not even go inside, hearing the price.

Trichy - Namakkal route was very recently tarred. Very good surface with absolutely no potholes. I maintained about 70 - 80 with ease. You can see the pics in my earlier posts. Horrible? No way!

@Ampere, having a good laugh, eh?
Chevy_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 05:44   #647
Team-BHP Support

CL,

Last december I did BLR/Munnar/Kumarakom/Trichur/GVR/MYS/BLR. In that trip I chose to break at Salem because, I thought the kid could not take a 500Km stretch in a single day with 90Km ghats. Thats when I stayed at Cenneys. Though the price was high, I chose to splurge due to kid and also the fact the hotel very nice.

PS: I know money can buy stuff and one should not blow it away, but once in a while we all think, its OK to spend. Don't we!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 06:18   #648
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@ampere. I guess it's more to do with the place. We don't think twice about shelling out 2500 in Bangalore for a night. But 2500 in Salem looks very costly! And if someone spends 2500 in namakkal, we'd think he's lost his nuts. Guess all of us have a upper limit set for the particular place and then cross that occassionally. What's a holiday without a bit of indulgence.
Reading about the Leela Palace in Salem, I'm tempted to try that on my next trip.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 06:27   #649
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
@ampere. I guess it's more to do with the place. We don't think twice about shelling out 2500 in Bangalore for a night. But 2500 in Salem looks very costly! And if someone spends 2500 in namakkal, we'd think he's lost his nuts. Guess all of us have a upper limit set for the particular place and then cross that occassionally. What's a holiday without a bit of indulgence.
Reading about the Leela Palace in Salem, I'm tempted to try that on my next trip.
Well said. And to that if you add 2500 in Kerala, you would get the best!
In GVR (Guruvayur) I paid 1700 for the best room! That was some thing which really thrilled me.
Old 26th May 2010, 09:12   #650
Senior - BHPian

As MX6 said, there is an upper limit for us too, according to the classification of cities.

For example, we spent 3.7k on a room in Mumbai, when we were there for my wife's visa process.

In Velankanni, you can get good AC rooms in 1.7k. In Salem, it is Rs. 990 for a splendid room in Shrie Shanth or Rs. 800 in South Gate. In Ooty, there are superb rooms for 1.5k during season, 600 during off season.

But as Ampere said, when kids accompany, a bit of luxury is called for!
Old 26th May 2010, 12:41   #651
BHPian

CL, I have been out for some time and you have covered a vast part of the journey in the travelouge. There is nothing left for me to comment as your vivid followers have given a detailed review of the photos and the writings .

Looking at the photos brings back the old memories of my visit to Velankanni and Nagur Darga during 2006. My dad qwas then stationed at nagapattinam and Every year I used to visit all the temples in the belt of tabjore, kumbakonam and kadalur. Velankanni hasent changed a bit (except for the site of new church ). I agree that a pilgrimage rest are is much needed there.

In 2006 the Tsunami rememberence monument was under construction. Has it been completed. It is located on the right side when you go from Nagapattinam to Velankanni. I wish I could go for a drive soon I miss the two lane roads which requires a lot of concentration and skills.

One more place where people vist very often apart from velankanni and agur darga is Thirupathi. Any day you go to visit lord venkateshwara you need to wait in que for atleast 2 hours.
ElantraGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 16:02   #652
Senior - BHPian

Hey Elantra, nice to see you back from your own pilgrimage. How was your journey?

No matter what others say, your comments are of great value to me. So I would love to hear your views.

We did not see the memorial. Actually we had no idea where it was! Velankanni hasn't changed much. The only difference is that the crowd appeared to have increased. I hope they build a dormitory for the poor pilgrims.

I hope you liked the pics. Waiting to hear from you!
Old 27th May 2010, 18:31   #653
Team-BHP Support

What is next? Updates are slow? Waiting for more.
Old 27th May 2010, 18:48   #654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
For example, we spent 3.7k on a room in Mumbai, when we were there for my wife's visa process.

In Velankanni, you can get good AC rooms in 1.7k. In Salem, it is Rs. 990 for a splendid room in Shrie Shanth or Rs. 800 in South Gate. In Ooty, there are superb rooms for 1.5k during season, 600 during off season.

But as Ampere said, when kids accompany, a bit of luxury is called for!
WOW - SALEM - RS 800/990, Great !!! I love this city, you know why?

Bcoz this is the place i was born and bought up. Going for a vacation this June... cant wait long
ranjith.rajaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 20:39   #655
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjith.rajaram View Post
WOW - SALEM - RS 800/990, Great !!! I love this city, you know why?

Bcoz this is the place i was born and bought up. Going for a vacation this June... cant wait long
Man from Salem,
living in Pune,
asking for roads between Bangalore and Mumbai,
going to Munnar,
attending a function in Mysore...

Did I miss anything?

And off course his favourite program: Highway on My Plate !
Old 27th May 2010, 23:20   #656
Senior - BHPian

Talking Day 8 - Yercaud, here we come…..

Day 7 – A day of rest…
We woke up on Day 7 of our journey only by 11.30 am. We were really tired and decided to take rest that day and leave for our next destination, the next day.

We decided to cut off Kodaikanal from our itinerary. We thought of visiting a new place instead of visiting Kodai again. We had spent some glorious days in Kodai last year and we had visited almost all the beautiful points there. We decided to avoid going to Berijam Lake last year. We did not want to go back to Kodai, just to visit that lake. Moreover one of my friends had visited Kodai some weeks back and he had spoken about the hordes of tourists, who had descended in Kodai from the plains. We struck off Kodai from our list and decided to finalize our next destination by the end of the day.

We quickly got ready and walked out of the hotel by 12.30 pm. We were quite ravenous by then as we hadn’t had our breakfast. We quickly settled on Hotel Bar-Be-Queen, near Saravana Sweets. We ordered our all time favourite Biriyani and enjoyed our meal tremendously. The food was really very tasty and was very moderately priced.

We returned back to our hotel immediately after our lunch. Salem was burning hot then. I felt that the temperature was close to 42 - 45 degree Celsius. We quickly put on the AC and freshened up. We spent the rest of the afternoon watching some movies on TV.

By evening, we got out of our hotel by 8 pm for our dinner. I then got a bright idea to check my Chevy’s shoes’ Nitrogen pressure. After circling the city five times, we weren’t able to find any shop with facility to check nitrogen pressure. We got some help from a BP petrol pump guy and straight away drove to a Bridgestone dealer, near the Bus Stand. We reached his shop, just as he was pulling down its shutter!!

With some more help from an auto rickshaw guy, we drove out of the city and to the bypass to our next destination, KPN Travel’s Petrol Pump.

We filled up fuel there. My Chevy drank a total of 44.34 litres @ Rs. 38.27 per litre. My Chevy’s mileage from Ooty to Velankanni and then to Salem was approximately 11.40 kmpl. I was really happy, as we had spent more than 45 minutes in Coimbatore, in a traffic jam, with my triple AC switched on. In spite of all that, and the ghat driving in second gear, my Chevy gave me a fabulous mileage. I was proud of my baby!

KPN had a FREE Nitrogen Checkup facility. I was so happy to see such a generous gesture from those business tycoons. The added advantage was the presence of Fleur’s Toilets in their pump. I checked my Chevy’s tyre pressure and was astonished to find only a one-point difference in just one tyre! My Goodyear Assurance tyres and Nitrogen were an awesome twosome!!! ;-)

We returned back to our hotel soon and then started our brainstorming session to decide on our next destination. Well, no points for guessing that the final decision was made pretty soon and the destination? Yercaud!!!
We have a passion for exploring new places and we were sure that Yercaud would be the perfect place for a short stay!

We got out of our hotel again by 11 pm and quickly walked to the main street. Most of the eateries had closed down by then. We were lucky to find a small restaurant there and ordered Dosas and Omlettes for our dinner. We returned back to our hotel by 12 am. I informed the receptionist about our impending checkout and retired for the night soon.

Day 8 - Yercaud, here we come…..

We woke up by 4 am on Day 8 and checked out of our hotel by 5 am. The hotel receptionist was very rude and I lost my cool when he tried to act smart. I had informed him the previous night that we would check out only by 5 am. But when the time the time came for our check out, he acted as though he was doing us a great favour. I am sure he will need a dictionary to understand some of the biblical verses I shouted at him in Hindi!!! Folks, avoid this hotel at any cost!

We quickly got ready and loaded our luggage in our Chevy. With a prayer on our lips, we decided to start our journey and Chevy roared to life in a second! Our odometer read 88, 550 kms. We quickly got directions from some auto guys and soon left the city behind. The ghat roads started soon.

We reached the entry tool booth to Yercaud soon and paid Rs. 15. We witnessed the sunrise there also.

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-1-sunrise_at_salem-beautiful.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-2-sunrise_at_yercaud.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-3-sunrise.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-4-toll_booth_at_yercaud_before_the_ghat_starts.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-5-superb_road.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-6-superb_road.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-7-people_exercising.jpg

The road was fantastic and well marked. We saw lots and lots of people walking up and down the hill as an exercise. It was very dangerous to exercise on a big highway!

We continued our drive on super smooth roads and I kept up 60 kmph most of the time. There were 20 hairpin bends in the ghats. There was not much traffic and I negotiated all the hairpins in second gear. I really enjoyed the drive and I would rate that highway much better than the Mettupalayam - Ooty stretch.

One word of caution to newbies, who will be attempting the hairpins later. The 16th hairpin is very very steep and the driver will get no idea about the steepness till he/ she starts the ascent. There is no warning about that curve, like you see in Matheran. You may need to downshift to the first gear to negotiate this hairpin curve. Keep this in mind, folks!

We reached Yercaud town by 7.20 am. We stopped our Chevy near the city centre and then I spotted this guy getting ready to have his breakfast!

He was the sweetest little guy I met all summer! He was staring at me with a fly in his mouth.

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-8-a_sweetheart.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-9-he_is_ready_to_have_his_breakfast.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-10-my_most_prized_catch.jpg

Folks, is this sweetie the ‘Flycatcher’?

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-11-look_at_him_staring_at_me.jpg

We then quickly drove to the lake side and took some pics of the lake and park.

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-12-yercaud_town.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-13-yercaud_town.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-14-botanical_garden.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-15-yercaud_lake_and_park.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-16-yercaud_park_and_boat_house.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-17-yercaud_lake.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-18-yercaud_lake.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-19-yercaud_boat_club.jpg

We then went to the TTDC resort there and decided to have our breakfast there. They had only mini breakfast consisting of Dosa, Idli, Pongal and Vada with either coffee or tea. We ordered only one plate and quickly finished it.

We then drove to Shevaroy Resorts and had another breakfast from the vegetarian restaurant near it. This time, the breakfast was truly awesome. We had Idlis and Vada.

We then started our sightseeing trip and drove to the first view point, the Lady’s Seat. We were not able to see the panoramic views clearly because of the mist and haze. Here are some of the pics I managed to capture!

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-20-loop_road_through_the_ghats.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-21-view_of_the_plains.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-22-view_from_ladys_seat.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-23-ghat_roads.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-24-view_from_ladys_seat.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-25-beautiful_valley.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-26-greenery_all_around.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-27-beautiful_tree.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-28-way_from_ladys_seat.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-29-path_from_ladys_seat.jpg
Old 27th May 2010, 23:45   #657
Distinguished - BHPian

That sweetie pie is the Red whiskered bulbul, also called double crested bulbul.

Did you take the loop road in yercaud, which takes you through the orange lined avenues and reach back to the lake. It is a 32km roundtrip from lake to lake.

Did you chance to have a go on the honey and fig dessert? The figs there were amazing. Club Mahindra's property Lake Forest pampered us with honey and fig and ofcourse the heavenly biriyanis.

some snap from the Shevaroy temple top,
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-245.jpg
and the loop road.
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-253.jpg

We've been there in September 2008. The drive was a long one - bangalore - Mahabalipuram - Pondicherry - Gingee - Yercaud - Bangalore. never wrote about it I started writing in TBHP with the Goa drive, which was just after this trip.

Last edited by laluks : 27th May 2010 at 23:49.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 09:22   #658
Senior - BHPian

C_L, In fact I was planning Yercaud first, then changed to Ooty, neither I have visited earlier. So, Next trip would be sure this wodnerful place. How as the temperature ranges in Yercaud? Was it quite warm?
The first could picture in this series of photos is simply heavenly. Take a double for that.
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 10:04   #659
MX6
Senior - BHPian

CL. The next time you go down to Ooty or Kodai, request you to start a new thread with a new name. Anything that says Ooty or Kodai in the URL is blocked in my office.
So to read this trip log of yours, I have to wait a whole day, come back in the evening and do a lot of catching up. Kind of missing the real action.

And CL, we should plan another tapri meet in Pune one of the weekends. RR is going on a mega trip in Mid June. Guess we should plan a Pre-monsoon meet to discuss everyone's travel plans over the monsoons. What say?
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 11:22   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Man from Salem,
living in Pune,
asking for roads between Bangalore and Mumbai,
going to Munnar,
attending a function in Mysore...

Did I miss anything?

And off course his favourite program: Highway on My Plate !
Couple of trips to SALEM - CBE and SALEM - Yercard inbetween

U are spot on Ampere this is my agenda for June 3rd and 4th week.

All thanks to Team BHP members, with those inspirational blogs this would have not been possible.
ranjith.rajaram is offline   Reply With Quote