Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 28th May 2010, 11:31   #661
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
And CL, we should plan another tapri meet in Pune one of the weekends. RR is going on a mega trip in Mid June. Guess we should plan a Pre-monsoon meet to discuss everyone's travel plans over the monsoons. What say?
I am fine MS, how about June 5th ? I guess all of them would be busy on Sunday so Saturday would be better option.

I starting my vacation on 13th so if we have it on 12th then I might not be able to send lot of time. Let me know your thoughts ...

MS - We might not be able to meet up tomorrow have got a quick plan to for short trip to Badlapur and Mumbai. If that thane meet had been this week could have made it easily Will call you in the evening, need some guidance on route in Mumbai.
ranjith.rajaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 12:02   #662
BHPian

Nice write up CL Vellankani photos very good.The road from Trichy Musiri Namakkal looks good.Waiting to see you Yercaud pictures.I think you must have crossed the Namakkal town through a fly over which was not ready last time when I traveled.
gajadonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 12:34   #663
Senior - BHPian

@Ampere, updates have been added, my friend.

@Raja Ji, thanks for the appreciation. Yercaud was very warm when we visited. You can plan a two day trip. Nothing much to see or do there.

@Laluks, thank you so much for identifying the birdie. I will reveal more as the story progresses.

@MX6, let's plan for a meet.

@Gajadonga, thanks for the appreciation. The night shots at Velankanni came out pretty decent, I guess! More on Yercaud coming up.

I don't remember any flyover in Namakkal. We drove through the town.

@Ranjith, lots of travel ahead of you, eh? Enjoy!

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 28th May 2010 at 12:37.
Chevy_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 18:35   #664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
@Ranjith, lots of travel ahead of you, eh? Enjoy!
Will definitely enjoy to the core CL, We BHPian Live to Drive . Waiting to meet you to get some tips. Let see what MS has to say ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
And off course his favourite program: Highway on My Plate !
Ampere forgot to answer this questions, thats one of my favorite programs. These guys go to different kinds of Daba's & have such a yummy food. Not sure if they pay them back or not

I ready to host these kind of shows, esp for the food, what do you say ?
ranjith.rajaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 21:19   #665
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Didn't know KS is an avid birdwatcher. Imagine KS running around screaming "I'm a bird watcherrrrrr".

And yes, the 5th June Tapri meet sounds great. I'll start a new thread for that. Let's make it Sat morning for high tea. People who want to proceed for lunch post that can go. Others who think of long drive can go too.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 22:02   #666
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjith.rajaram View Post
Ampere forgot to answer this questions, thats one of my favorite programs. These guys go to different kinds of Daba's & have such a yummy food. Not sure if they pay them back or not

I ready to host these kind of shows, esp for the food, what do you say ?
@RR,

It was on this program I first heard of this cafe called the Sidewalk Cafe at the Nahar hotel Ooty.
They make firewood Pizza.

Was real good when I tried them last week in Ooty!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 23:31   #667
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs down An end, to what was a disappointing day in Yercaud!

An end, to what was a disappointing day in Yercaud!

We then continued our drive to the Gent’s Seat. It is situated higher than Ladies Seat and I had to drive further uphill. The road was very very steep and I had to be very careful. We reached the top after a five minute drive, parked our car, climbed up some stairs and reached the Gent’s Seat viewing area. This time, the mist cleared just a little bit more and I could snap some clearer pics.

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-1-view_from_gents_seat.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-2-view_from_gents_seat.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-3-view_from_gents_seat.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-4-gents_seat.jpg

There was nothing much to see in Yercaud and we were getting upset because of the stifling heat. The temperature was in the mid 30s and we were sweating profusely. It was not at all our ideal vacation spot. We had seen Ooty from close quarters and were terribly disappointed that Yercaud was called the ‘Poor man’s Ooty’!!

There was nothing exciting to see in Gent's Seat and we decided to head back to the town centre. We met some people from Salem near the Gent’s Seat and they told us that there was not much water in the Kulliar Falls. Our hopes of spending some quality time with nature were dashed even before it started!

We drove back to the town and decided to visit the Pagoda Point also. The road to that point was very narrow through a small thicket. We reached the point after a 15 minute drive. Pagoda Point has four piles of stones arranged to form a pyramid shape. It is said to be built by the local tribal folks and now there is a temple dedicated to Rama, located between the piles of stones. We were so disappointed seeing the view from there. The sun was scorching our backs and the whole valley was covered by haze. We immediately turned back without thinking twice. I did not even bother taking my camera out of our Chevy!!!

We returned back to the town and took some more snaps of the lake. After experiencing the superb Pykara, the thought of going for boating in Yercaud, did not even cross our minds.

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-5-yercaud_lake.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-6-yercaud_lake.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-7-yercaud_lake.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-8-yercaud_lake.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-9-boat_house_yercaud_lake.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-10-yercaud_lake.jpg
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-11-yercaud_lake.jpg

I had heard a lot about the Loop Road and we tried it. After a few kilometres, we turned back. It was not at all exciting. It may be better after the rains, I guess!!!

We were terribly disappointed by what we saw in Yercaud. In my honest personal opinion, Yercaud is good for a single day trip. Instead of staying in an exorbitantly priced resort in Yercaud, one can always stay in a better, cheaper room in Salem. Yercaud is good, if one wants to be cut away from civilization and to spend time relaxing in a resort doing nothing. There were not too many good eateries in Yercaud and a traveller will have to depend on resorts or home stays for hygienic food.

We thought about the whole scenario unfolding before us and decided to cut our visit short. We had gone there with the intention of staying there for two days and had even blocked a deluxe room in the TTDC Resort. We thought that it was better to return back, rather than spending a couple of thousands on a room and doing nothing! There was nothing left to see. We had visited some of the most beautiful hill stations in India and abroad and we were utterly disappointed after seeing the over-hyped Yercaud!
Old 29th May 2010, 00:12   #668
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey CL, I would disagree with you on this. Anyways to each his own opinion or probably the place deteriorated in the last few years..

From which road near the lake did you start the loop road? How far did you go?

There are a few eateries also there like Shevaroys and need not depend only on resorts. And even if you have to they are decently priced.

Last edited by laluks : 29th May 2010 at 00:22.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 00:17   #669
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Yercaud wouldn't qualify as a full fledged hill station actually. It used to be called as the poor man's ooty. The proximity to Salem made it an attractive alternative to Ooty actually. But the drive is good.

Anyway, the level of commercialization that's happened in other hill stations, make Yercaud a cool place now.

Last edited by MX6 : 29th May 2010 at 00:18.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 00:30   #670
Senior - BHPian

Hi Lalu, what I said was entirely my personal opinion, as I mentioned earlier, seeing Yercaud compared to Ooty. Yes, there are surely other points in Yercaud. But the charm comes out only after the rains, I guess!!

We started the loop road from the road near the boat house, after getting directions from a taxi guy. We must have gone only about 3 - 4 kilometres when we decided to turn back as my wife wasn't too interested in a drive through the forests. We had experienced the same, some time back when we went to Pagoda point.

As I mentioned, Yercaud is good for relaxing and doing nothing much! Yercaud is still cut away and is less commercialized than the usual hill stations like Ooty and Kodai. An ideal place for a one day break.

Of course, there are other good restaurants. But they are very very few in numbers. We had our breakfast from a vegetarian restaurant. The water that came out of the tap was brown in colour! That is why I specifically mentioned about hygiene. Food is competitively priced everywhere.

@MX6, the drive to Yercaud is fantastic. But Yercaud cannot be called an alternative to Ooty. As far as I am concerned, Ooty cannot be compared to any other hill station, for the simple reason that it is more beautiful than words can ever explain!!!

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 29th May 2010 at 00:47.
Old 29th May 2010, 03:04   #671
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Return journey to Salem....

Return journey to Salem.....

We finished our tour of Yercaud in less than four hours. We had arrived at Yercaud at 7.20 am and were ready to leave by 11 am. I was looking forward to a very relaxing drive down hill. I had driven pretty fast uphill and we decided to take it easy. Salem was only 30 kilometres away. Our Chevy’s tummy was full, so we did not bother going to a petrol pump.

We started our drive soon. Our odometer read 88,609 kms. There was not too much traffic in the highway and what we experienced was one spectacular drive through winding, narrow ghat roads and twenty hairpins!!! We enjoyed the drive tremendously!

Here are some pics to transport my readers to the ghats in Yercaud!!!

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-1-beautiful_salem_highway.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-2-beautiful_salem_highway.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-3-beautiful_salem_highway.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-4-beautiful_salem_highway-a_resort.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-5-beautiful_salem_highway.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-6-beautiful_salem_highway.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-7-beautiful_salem_highway.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-8-beautiful_salem_highway.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-9-beautiful_salem_highway.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-10-beautiful_salem_highway.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-11-beautiful_salem_highway.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-12-beautiful_salem_highway_hairpin.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-13-beautiful_salem_highway.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-14-beautiful_salem_highway.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-15-beautiful_salem_highway.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-16-a_temple.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-17-vast_plains_below.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-18-beautiful_salem_highway.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-19-beautiful_salem_highway.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-20-beautiful_salem_highway.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-21-beautiful_salem_highway.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-22-beautiful_salem_highway.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-23-beautiful_salem_highway.jpg

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 29th May 2010 at 03:14.
Old 29th May 2010, 09:33   #672
Team-BHP Support

Yercaud is currently so crowded, that one can never think of going in a peak season. In fact as you said many folks walk on the ghat road in the mornings.

You end up seeing many scooters and bikes on these roads, just for an evening stroll!

Its become more of "outside city" spot rather than a hill station.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 11:38   #673
Senior - BHPian

That was a very precise review of Yercaud, Ampere

There were so many people in the ghats, exercising and just sitting on the side walls. Another issue was the numerous two wheelers parked by the road side.

Yercaud is becoming an extension of Salem city.

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 29th May 2010 at 11:40.
Old 29th May 2010, 14:59   #674
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Return journey to Pune....

We finally finished our descent from Yercaud by 11.40 am. We were happy that we were able to see Yercaud at least once. We were happy that we reached Yercaud before other tourists descended there from the plains and we saw most of the viewpoints peacefully, which to our dismay were quite few. We drove around Yercaud quite a bit.

There have been comparisons between Yercaud and Ooty, which we felt were not justified. Ooty is known as the Queen of Hill stations and Yercaud cannot be compared to the queen. Yercaud is a quaint little hill station. The views are good, but nothing great. After having seen some dazzlingly beautiful places like Darjeeling, Kalimpong, Nainital, Thimpu, Paro, Shimla, Manali, Kufri, Muktheshwar, Mahabaleshwar, Kodaikanal, Munnar, etc, we are good judges of beauty and I believe in giving an unbiased view. As I said earlier, Yercaud is good for a one day visit or if one is looking forward to spending some time in solitude, doing nothing.

We reached Salem town by 12.15 pm and straightaway drove to the KPN fuel station. The Fleur’s restrooms in the pump, were very well maintained. We freshened up quickly and then filled up our Chevy. Our odometer read 88, 642 kms then and Chevy drank a total of 8.65 litres. Our mileage after our drive to and from Yercaud was an remarkable 11.56 kmpl. We drove with AC throughout our journey. We also checked our Chevy’s tyre’s pressure. There was no change.

We started our journey back home at 1 pm from Salem. The city was scorching hot then. We had replenished our stock of water, chocolates and snacks. We had a long drive ahead of us and within no time, I was cruising at 120 kmph. There was very sparse traffic on the highway and I could maintain my favourite speed for long periods. We reached the Omalur toll plaza at 1.15 pm and paid Rs. 34 and continued our drive. We saw a banged up KSRTC bus being hauled by a breakdown truck. The front part of the bus was completely destroyed in the collision.

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-1-salem_hosur_highway.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-2-salem_hosur_highway.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-3-salem_hosur_highway.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-4-salem_hosur_highway.jpg

We reached the Krishnagiri – Thopur toll road by 1.45 pm and continued our drive. The road was an absolute delight!
Old 29th May 2010, 15:27   #675
BHPian

Wow, i thought the travelogue was over and i come back to see this thread active, just logged on to check what is going on and i am surprised to find it is still going on,hey CL thanks for bringing back memories of Salem, Yercaud, i used to practically visit the place almost every weekend...those were the days of courtship and we were working at Salem.Keep em coming you have my undivided attention!
Majic is offline   Reply With Quote