Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 29th May 2010, 15:28   #676
Team-BHP Support

My word! Thats a KSRTC Volvo (Airavath). Whenever you spot any one on the higway, straightaway you should give them way.
No point going along with them or racing with them.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 16:03   #677
MX6
Senior - BHPian

The Airavath volvos are supposed to be the safest amongst the volvos. Have one look at how the neeta guys drive then you'll know. Surprised to see a bashed up Airavath.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 16:06   #678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
Wow, i thought the travelogue was over and i come back to see this thread active, just logged on to check what is going on and i am surprised to find it is still going on,hey CL thanks for bringing back memories of Salem, Yercaud, i used to practically visit the place almost every weekend...those were the days of courtship and we were working at Salem.Keep em coming you have my undivided attention!
Thank you for your interest, Majic. You have a lot of catching up to do. This travelogue also has details and pics of our second trip to Ooty and Velankanni and then to Yercaud. There are some fabulous pics of Ooty and the Avalanche Lake in the second part of this log.

Thanks to all ardent readers, my thread still has a huge viewership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
My word! Thats a KSRTC Volvo (Airavath). Whenever you spot any one on the higway, straightaway you should give them way.
No point going along with them or racing with them.
Yes, Ampere. These buses are sometimes so rashly driven that it is best to stay out of their way.

We were surprised to see that the wrecked bus's front left wheel was completely torn away!

@MX6, we always had the same impression like you, about the Airavath Volvos.

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 29th May 2010 at 16:16.
Chevy_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 12:02   #679
BHPian

CL, i think i missed the thread, when was the second trip done, i was out on work, this year is proving to be a back breaker..
Majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 13:27   #680
BHPian

CL, I just went thorugh the entire travelogue once again, i loved the pic of my school Good Shepherd, the mention of Trichengode engineering college reminds me of the time i had food at the same hotel, on the whole it was a rejenuvating experience, please do PM if your planning on updating your travelogue, i am a fan of your work, much on the lines of Lalu etc
Majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 15:28   #681
Team-BHP Support

Agree with you MX6, CL.

I have always Airavath guys driving properly. My gut feels, it would have been the other man's mistake. Never seen any issues with Airavath.

The only govt Volvo issues that I had was with BLR transport Volvos (BMTC).
They are a real menace!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 16:17   #682
Senior - BHPian

@Majic, thank you so much for your inspiring words. I am happy that you liked the pics.

Our second trip to Ooty was indeed special. I will surely inform you when we go for our next trip and if I write a travelogue.

@Ampere, I agree with you on Airavath.

Coming up, the last part of our trip.
Old 1st June 2010, 17:24   #683
BHPian

Talking

CL, In TN its really a bad time to visit the vacation spots during summer vacation time (April - June 1st week). It will be crowded like anything. One of the reason why we undertake a journey is to get peace of mind and that will be never be acheived during this time. I always plan my vacation during the off peak season or after the end of the scholl vacation time.

The photos are phabulos. By looking at the photos now a days I am not able to determine who took the photo. Your wife has fine tuned her photograhy skills. The only way I determine who took the photos is by this simple step of elimination :
Photos while driving and photos where Mr. CL is posing - Mrs.CL
Everythig else - Mr. CL

A special mention about the photo "A beautiful salem highway". Its colorful and scenic. Hats off to your writing skills sir.

Its highly recommend not to visit Ooty/Kodaikanal with yearcaud together. Beauty of one will tend to overshadow the other.
ElantraGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 03:25   #684
Senior - BHPian

Talking Thank you, Elantra!

Hey Elantra, thank you so much for your comments and appreciation! Let me answer and add my comments too, to your observations.

Yes. I agree with you 101%. All tourist spots in Tamil Nadu are usually jam packed and all hill stations are swarmed by people living near it. For example, Kodai sees tens of thousands of people from Madurai, Yercaud is swarmed by people from Salem and Ooty, well, it seems to be a hot favourite of people from Bangy!!!

We usually plan our visits just after the peak season. We did our Udaipur trip in January and our Ooty trip in 2009 after the rains. So we got a deluxe room for half the printed tariff. We too follow your method to avoid the rush. This trip was actually preponed, to enable a meeting with my sister!

You made a very interesting point there, my friend! My wife is a very quick and eager learner. She loves photography and has clicked probably about 10K snaps in a few months. I have taught her all that I know and there are very few tricks left, that she has to perfect. I am proud of her!!!

Because of her herculean efforts, we were able to capture the pics of all the highways we have ever travelled on!!! And that is the reason why I am able to effectively narrate all our experiences on the road and my readers are able to enjoy the pics and feel as though they travelled with us!

Here are some pics which my wife captured! Please keep in mind that these pics were captured in 2009, just a few months after we bought our camera! She did not know much about manual settings then!

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-bandipur-forest.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-ooty-mountains.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-clouds.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-sky-opened-up.jpg

About my writing skills, where should I start?? My Dad is B.A, B.Com, my Mom is B.A, B. Ed, former Govt. High School Head Mistress, now again working as Principal in a private school, after she retired from Govt. service. My eldest sister has done M.A Eng. literature, my second sister is M.A, M. Phil., B. Ed (all English), and my third sister is M.A Sociology and yours truly, was the state topper in English for S.S.L.C exams!! So I guess, it was only natural that I started writing!!!

Some people may not have liked my frank opinion about Yercaud. I am a very straight forward person and I expressed what I felt and what we saw! I call a spade, a spade!!!

If anyone still feels that I was harsh and passed a judgment on Yercaud too soon, please read this travelogue by XH_Vee. Here is the link;

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1818981 (Bangalore - Yercaud March 2010)

It seems that our friend XH_Vee, returned back to Bangalore after spending only a few hours in Yercaud! And, he too had difficulty in finding a good restaurant! So I guess, I wasn't wrong about my judgment on Yercaud after all!!!

P.S - I wasn't boasting about the degrees, just stated the facts!!

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 2nd June 2010 at 03:40.
Old 2nd June 2010, 07:31   #685
Distinguished - BHPian

Wishing you many more writing episodes and we enjoy it for sure. Impressed with your family eduactional background.

While a request as a critique to your writing if you can heed to, there is a tinge of vanity in the writings, which sometimes tend to deter the easy flow of reading. Else great narration and flow.

Further regarding Yercaud, come on yaar - Get over it. Its unfortunate that you had been at the wrong place at the wrong time. Why then be judgemental about the place alone? Agreed the place was not OK when you chose to visit. I tend to believe every place has its own beauty. PEACE

Last edited by laluks : 2nd June 2010 at 07:34.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 07:33   #686
MX6
Senior - BHPian

aaha. now I see this. Photographed by Jess. seems there's a war that went on after which you people decided to put up who photographed what!

Anyway, I told you that Yercaud is considered only an alternative to ooty if you don't get accomodation in ooty. When an uncle of mine went to yercaud for honeymoon with the aunt over 20 years ago, it raised quite a few eye-brows! Yercaud? What's there in Yercaud was the question on everyone's mind 2 decades back.

Anyway, to put an end to the confusion, I intend to drive to yercaud. Guess after a detailed survey (will take smartcat as well. he seems very good in surveys and rankings), I shall decide what status to accord to yercaud.

Last edited by MX6 : 2nd June 2010 at 07:36.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 07:37   #687
Distinguished - BHPian

MX6, once both of them acquired the skills, the copy rights have to be clear Hopefully there were no wars. CL- please clarify soon.

Survey - man, you guys are too much. When are you going, I'll come to check the parameters of the survey - LOL. Whether the place is good, bad or ugly - who cares. Its the discussion that matters

Last edited by laluks : 2nd June 2010 at 07:42.
Old 2nd June 2010, 09:29   #688
Senior - BHPian

@MX6, sorry to disappoint you. There are no fights or war between us. We are ONE and we work as a team. We really don't care about the watermark on the pics. I put it on the pics to prevent its re-use. You may have noticed that I put my initials on all pics, even if it was captured by my wife!

I would love to hear from you after smartcat and you survey the place again.

Hey Lalu,

Vanity?? It deters the easy flow?? This is the first time I am hearing that my narration lacks flow!!!

Now I am suprised why my thread still has a very healthy viewership, if it lacked the flow! THANK YOU, my dear readers, for your constant interest and appreciation!

Anyway Lalu, thanks for your comments. As you know, it is of great importance to me! ;-)

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 2nd June 2010 at 09:36.
Old 2nd June 2010, 10:21   #689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Anyway, to put an end to the confusion, I intend to drive to yercaud. Guess after a detailed survey (will take smartcat as well. he seems very good in surveys and rankings), I shall decide what status to accord to yercaud.
Just let me know as well when you do the trip to Yercaud, will be more than glad to join. Best done during/after rains.

and yeah, C_L, good going. I do agree Yercaud is becoming more crowded, but it should be visited during/after rains... more peace and nice weather as well.
KRRaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 10:57   #690
Distinguished - BHPian

CL - you did not quite get my feedback right. Forget it, lets move on.