Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 2nd December 2009, 12:36   #91
BHPian

Wow, you have great skills for narration and the pictures are truly out of this world. Please continue. In all the threads on trips to Leh on this forum, yours is one of the best I have seen both in terms of narration and pictures. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
Aquarian20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 13:19   #92
BHPian

hey, yamraj...i am trying to post my compliments for this wonderful journey. you are taking us all with you with your flowing language!! i hope atleast this post gets posted....please someone help me how to do it as i am new to this community... :-)
Jayant..B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 17:15   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
By the way why those stones are kept to resemble like a border. Is it a border/compund???.
What!!!!!!!!!!!!! retrun adventure. Then another 4-5 pages and another 2-3 months. Superb.Continue dude.we are here itself glued to LEH, GAMA-LAMA by YAMA
Thanks for the compliments.

Somebody told us that the compound was created to keep the cattle away.

And yes, we did encounter some adventure on the return journey as well. Will try and finish that part tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian20 View Post
Wow, you have great skills for narration and the pictures are truly out of this world. Please continue. In all the threads on trips to Leh on this forum, yours is one of the best I have seen both in terms of narration and pictures. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
Thanks for the wonderful compliment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayant..B View Post
hey, yamraj...i am trying to post my compliments for this wonderful journey. you are taking us all with you with your flowing language!! i hope atleast this post gets posted....please someone help me how to do it as i am new to this community... :-)
It feels good when someone mentions that they were taken along on the journey. Thanks

PS: I am not sure but being a newbie, your comment is probably moderated for a while and thats why it takes a while to show up.
yamraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 17:25   #94
Senior - BHPian

Come on soon... Post it. So tomorrow will be starting with this thread itself.
shishir_bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 21:41   #95
BHPian

@yamraj,
Excellent travelogue .
Do you have plans of posting the costing details ?
rk_sans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 15:15   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Come on soon... Post it. So tomorrow will be starting with this thread itself.
Next post coming along in a few seconds. The BSNL connection at home was crappy yesterday night and I couldn't upload anything (after staying up till 1 writing it all out!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
@yamraj,
Excellent travelogue .
Do you have plans of posting the costing details ?
Thanks.

What costs are you interested in?
Old 3rd December 2009, 15:16   #97
BHPian

Day 13 - September 23rd 2009 (Part 2)

It must have been around 9:15 by the time we had packed up and started off towards Tso Moriri. A few minutes later, following the path next to the village, we were at the banks of Tso Moriri. The place that we had come to see. The place that we had come to see stuffed in a car. After crossing obstacles that we hadn't even imagined about. After spending an entire night 'without oxygen'! Going through the ordeal of half a bottle of bisleri in the dry pit.

With all that behind us, we would have really enjoyed the beauty and spent hours there, right? Right? WRONG! Didn't we enjoy the beauty? That would be incorrect. We were overwhelmed. Not as overwhelmed as in Pangong Tso but overwhelmed still. So? What was wrong with that statement? The time! We didn't get to spend the hours that we wanted to. In fact, with a punctured tyre and a rocky sandy path ahead, we wanted to get back to the safety of Leh as soon as possible. We wanted to be sure that we had sufficient back up in case we got stuck again. With all those thoughts, we decided that we wouldn't be able to spend more than 15 minutes to half an hour at the banks. With this in mind, as soon as we reached the banks, we jumped out armed with our cameras. Snap snap snap click click click. With time fleeting by quicker than the Rajdhani Express crossing a village in the night, we imbibed as much of the beauty as we could and with a sigh got back into the car. Yes, we had a long way to go but this was a little unfair.

Tso Moriri

The Low Down On Tso Moriri

Sunlight, Shine Bright

We moved on back towards the obstacle course with crossed fingers and a prayer on our lips. We did stop on the way at a little tent where we were told that the guy might repair punctures. He said he did repair punctures but not neck valves. That would be an outright tube change. Ah well, with the same prayer, we continued over the plains.

Three Star Treatment

Marmot

Bye Bye Tso Moriri

The Plateau

Somebody, Somewhere, Somehow

Reached near Tso Kiagar after crossing several forking tracks (all joining up somewhere are the other). This is where the rocky road had ended yesterday night. But, where was the rocky road? Overnight, the BRO guys had poured some mud on the road and ran a road roller over it. The road was motorable! Yipeee! Yipeeeness lasted only for a short while though. Only an initial part of the road was rolled over. The workers were still pouring mud and driving a road roller over it. We came to a part where the road was covered with mud but not tamped in. And got a little stuck there. All of us got down to lighten up the car. Decided to reverse a bit and try to get out on the sandy track nearby. Bang as we were reversing, comes this big truck and pours mud over the track that we had come over. Not much space to reverse over here now with all that mud! No way to go forward either. All we could do was try our luck and get out on the side. Which is what we did. There was a little rise like a largish speed breaker and beyond that was the sandy track. Reversed a bit, and ran for the rise. And got stuck. Tried to rev the engine and move forward but no go cause no traction. Tried to put something under the wheels but that didn't work either. Crap!! Now what? Asked jiju to reverse a bit and after a mild push the car went back onto the muddy rocky road. Mamaji and I laid some flat stones on the rise and made a track over it. Jiju revved up the engine and let go. With the momentum, we were able to get the car across to the sandy track. Thank god for that!

Sandy tracks aren't good for cars. At least that's what the previous day's experience had told us. So, while jiju drove gingerly over the track, we followed. Jiju got the car back onto the rocky road after a while. While we followed. And followed some more. And then followed a little more. The car was constantly getting stuck on the rocks now. It would move a few metres and then it would stall. The tyres would just start spinning up. We couldn't go on the sandy track, we couldn't go on the road either. I think we will rephrase the idiom 'caught between the devil and the deep sea' to 'stuck between the sand and the rocks'! Every few minutes, we would catch up with the car and then dig under the wheels to remove loose rocks, place some flat stones and give the car a mighty heave to get it moving. The car would move a little (if we were lucky, it would move all of 20 - 30 metres!) and get stuck again. Time to repeat the clearing exercise! This went on for almost an hour and a half! We would have walked several kms by now! Rashi had a splitting headache while Nandika wasn't in a good shape either. Mamaji and I, the labourers of the day, were doing okay so far.

Hello Tso Kiagar

Tso Kiagar

Tso Kiagar Again

Only Two Horse Power, But Much More Useful In These Parts!

The Rocky Road To Hell Passed Through The Valley Of Beauty

Trudging Along

Time To Clear The Wheels

Lift Please?

Time To Clear The Wheels Again!

Tso Kiagar

Nature, Showing Off!

Into The Distance

Bye Bye Tso Kiagar

Somewhere around 12:45, we could make out the end of the hell path and see tarmac starting up. Jiju walked up ahead to see the route and decided that the track on the side wasn't as sandy and could be used. With hope in our hearts, we cleared the wheels and gave the car another mighty push. Wheels spinning, bouncing and lurching, the WagonR got off the rocky path onto the track and with a final surge of power, made it's way to the tarmac. Phew! Thank god! Now, jiju, could you please come back and give us a lift??

Yakozuna !

On the tarmac again, our spirits rose up. Time to get back to civilization now. Lets go go go go.

More of the return journey coming soon.....
yamraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 15:31   #98
Senior - BHPian

man not even a single person/village or anyone around to help any person. This really looks scaring. By the way thanks for continuing the snaps. What is that YAK doing over there. Are you people chasing it or is it chasing you people with reverse gear
Old 3rd December 2009, 15:37   #99
BHPian

Nice...nice!!! I am hooked to this. Believe me, i have already read the whole travelogue twice!! By the way, did you feel any loss of power or pickup or drop in fuel efficiency in your cars when you climbed up?
Jayant..B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 15:53   #100
BHPian

Quote:
man not even a single person/village or anyone around to help any person. This really looks scaring. By the way thanks for continuing the snaps. What is that YAK doing over there. Are you people chasing it or is it chasing you people with reverse gear
Not having any help around can be scary in some ways and we were prepared for it mentally that day.

The yak was walking by the road (there was a cowherd somewhere closeby) and when we came near, it just bolted across the road. That was probably the largest and fattest yak we saw in the entire trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayant..B View Post
Nice...nice!!! I am hooked to this. Believe me, i have already read the whole travelogue twice!! By the way, did you feel any loss of power or pickup or drop in fuel efficiency in your cars when you climbed up?
Thanx for the compliments .

I didn't feel any power loss in the palio and the fuel efficiency was better than what I expected in the mountains! I was getting around 12kmpl which was pretty good considering the low speeds and the big engine.
Old 3rd December 2009, 22:48   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamraj View Post
What costs are you interested in?
Calculating the petrol expense would be straight. I was interested in the lodging and food expenses, etc..
5 stars for the pics. Which camera were you using ?
Old 4th December 2009, 12:04   #102
BHPian

Guru, with no help around and no spare wheel/tire left it sure as hell sounds scary. Glad you all made it out without anymore trouble.
Aquarian20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 13:12   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Calculating the petrol expense would be straight. I was interested in the lodging and food expenses, etc..
5 stars for the pics. Which camera were you using ?
Thanx .

We had 3 cameras. Rashi and I were using a canon S3 IS, Jiju had a canon powershot A570 IS while mamaji and Nandika had a Nikon Coolpix L6.

We spent about 18k on acco in the entire trip. This is inclusive of the hotel acco between Bangalore and Delhi and back. We spent about 11k on food/snacks on the entire trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian20 View Post
Guru, with no help around and no spare wheel/tire left it sure as hell sounds scary. Glad you all made it out without anymore trouble.
It was definitely concerning. Fortunately for us there weren't any more incidents there.
Old 4th December 2009, 13:17   #104
BHPian

Thanks for the costing info. Waiting for the remaining pics and story of return journey.
Old 4th December 2009, 13:24   #105
Senior - BHPian

man thay is way cheap(18K) comapred to other who went over there and that too with so many people.