Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2010, 15:19   #166
MX6
Senior - BHPian
 
MX6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: City of seven islands.
Posts: 2,882
Thanked: 205 Times
Default

Thought all birds have 2 eyes. Anyway, no one told me crow and sparrow story when I was a kid. When I had to eat, they only told me gabbar singh story

VRP. No need of a better camera. Take me instead.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 15:32   #167
BHPian
 
roamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 58
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Did a small one day ride to Korlai fort on 1st May. Here are some of the visuals.

Took Alibaug-Chaul-Korlai route.
Name:  DSCF0095.JPG
Views: 2015
Size:  98.0 KB
Name:  DSCF0098.JPG
Views: 1285
Size:  85.1 KB
Name:  DSCF0101.JPG
Views: 1156
Size:  73.8 KB
Name:  DSCF0109.JPG
Views: 1128
Size:  81.7 KB
Name:  DSCF0116.JPG
Views: 1117
Size:  66.5 KB
Name:  DSCF0119.JPG
Views: 1194
Size:  71.8 KB
Revdanda Bridge
Name:  DSCF0121.JPG
Views: 1162
Size:  31.7 KB
Name:  DSCF0123.JPG
Views: 1081
Size:  43.2 KB
Name:  DSCF0122.JPG
Views: 1214
Size:  78.3 KB
Some inscriptions on fort
Name:  DSCF0132.JPG
Views: 1103
Size:  90.4 KB

Name:  DSCF0133.JPG
Views: 1092
Size:  94.0 KB
This means "No Entry Without Fight"
Name:  DSCF0136.JPG
Views: 1090
Size:  93.5 KB
Name:  DSCF0138.JPG
Views: 1067
Size:  85.2 KB
Name:  DSCF0141.JPG
Views: 1222
Size:  75.6 KB
Korlai Lighthouse - Was able to see it from inside.
Name:  DSCF0151.JPG
Views: 1167
Size:  106.6 KB
While coming back took a ferry from Revas to Ferry wharf
Name:  DSCF0167.JPG
Views: 1702
Size:  55.8 KB
Name:  DSCF0173.JPG
Views: 1273
Size:  62.4 KB
Name:  DSCF0187.JPG
Views: 1098
Size:  73.6 KB
Attached Images
  
roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 15:48   #168
BHPian
 
vrprabhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 834
Thanked: 319 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Thought all birds have 2 eyes. Anyway, no one told me crow and sparrow story when I was a kid. When I had to eat, they only told me gabbar singh story

VRP. No need of a better camera. Take me instead.
Me, too - all I heard (and remember) was stories of chandamama! Of course, there was a story of crow and a vada - any connection


Sir, my humble steed - which you would have noticed - is the Gladiator. I can't promise you the comfy confines of an Ikon... and going through the pictures again, am sure that I ruined my Palio's shocks on this road only - that was my third trip and they were re-laying the road - there was nothing there but boulders....
vrprabhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 15:52   #169
MX6
Senior - BHPian
 
MX6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: City of seven islands.
Posts: 2,882
Thanked: 205 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Me, too - all I heard (and remember) was stories of chandamama! Of course, there was a story of crow and a vada - any connection


Sir, my humble steed - which you would have noticed - is the Gladiator. I can't promise you the comfy confines of an Ikon... and going through the pictures again, am sure that I ruined my Palio's shocks on this road only - that was my third trip and they were re-laying the road - there was nothing there but boulders....
Nope. There's no vada here. But I guess there's wheat and chaff instead.
Comfort is in the mind. Not in my bottom!
And talking of boulders, you should have seen the route I took from raigarh!
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 16:14   #170
BHPian
 
vrprabhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 834
Thanked: 319 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer View Post
Did a small one day ride to Korlai fort on 1st May. Here are some of the visuals.

Took Alibaug-Chaul-Korlai route.

This means "No Entry Without Fight"
Welcome abroad, mate!! Better take Cap. MX6's permission before barging in....

Another seaside wanderer, eh? that too with a handle to match. Roamer, quickly think of a nice signature for your handle - you can take inspiration from the owner of this thread!

Watch it, MX6 - too many guys out there nipping at your feet....

How long did the drive take, roamer? Nice pictures, nice beach, all peace and quiet.... sigh!

What's that language - Portugese?
vrprabhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 16:22   #171
MX6
Senior - BHPian
 
MX6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: City of seven islands.
Posts: 2,882
Thanked: 205 Times
Default

Welcome Roamer. Permission granted!
The language is Portuguese. Roamer, can you get me details of the ferry? Do they ferry across cars as well? Would like to know the cost involved and the timings of the ferry.

Last edited by MX6 : 25th May 2010 at 16:25.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 16:44   #172
BHPian
 
roamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 58
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Welcome Roamer. Permission granted!
The language is Portuguese. Roamer, can you get me details of the ferry? Do they ferry across cars as well? Would like to know the cost involved and the timings of the ferry.
oops, sorry to barge in.. But thanks for permission.
Maharashtra is my favourite subject. Hence did not create any separate post and posted in this mahalog

There are 2 ports near Alibaug. Mandwa and Revas. Mandwa is around 19 Kms and Revas around 23 Kms from Alibaug. Drive on this road is super smooth, only the last 7 kms to revas are littly bumpy.

The Cars and bikes can be ferry accrossed to Gateway of India through Mandwa port. The person cost is Rs. 125 and Car is approx Rs.150 with handling charges extra (Not sure exactly but will confirm later). It takes 45 mins to travel.

The Bikes can be ferry accrossed to Ferry Wharf (BHaucha Dhakka) through Revas. The person cost is Rs. 30 and Bike - Rs. 30 and Handling charges Rs. 50. It takes 1 hr 30 mins. to travel. Since its economical, lots of people use this ferry including the daily office goers from Alibaug region.
roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 16:46   #173
Senior - BHPian
 
ASHISHPALLOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: BRMT
Posts: 1,986
Thanked: 283 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer View Post
Will that be Kavlya fort??

thats it!!!

nice pics of korlai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
1]+1 to that. Take a note Ashish Saheb!
2]And geography is negative - because I am a science student;

3]Soon, we cross the river (next geography quiz) and reach to the first land-mark - which can be a nice picnic spot.

1] note taken

2] i am engineering student but geography is my fav subject.

3] i see a dam on velvandi river.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 25th May 2010 at 16:55.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 16:50   #174
BHPian
 
vrprabhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 834
Thanked: 319 Times
Default Next question...

Well, going ahead you'll be greeted by this sight..

Now, when I first saw, I was thinking it was just another dam. But after a couple of visits, and looking at it from various angles, I realised what a wonderful dam it was. I know that the location of the dam is of crucial importance - and this one fits it to a 'T'.

BTW, the dam is built by the British. There is a plaque there - looks like the British had excellent plans to develop these areas; I must admire their sense of purpose and foresight - don't know if we could have managed such things in those days......
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-bhatgar1.jpg

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-bhatgar2.jpg

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-bhatgar3.jpg

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-bhatgar4.jpg

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-bhatgar5.jpg

Because, going ahead, you'll another type of water storage reservoir...

Now, the question - which is this dam?

Last edited by vrprabhu : 25th May 2010 at 16:57.
vrprabhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 16:53   #175
MX6
Senior - BHPian
 
MX6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: City of seven islands.
Posts: 2,882
Thanked: 205 Times
Default

Nice to see Bhatghar dam in daylight! I remember crossing this place around 3 - 3:30 am.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 16:56   #176
BHPian
 
roamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 58
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Welcome abroad, mate!! Better take Cap. MX6's permission before barging in....

Another seaside wanderer, eh? that too with a handle to match. Roamer, quickly think of a nice signature for your handle - you can take inspiration from the owner of this thread!

Watch it, MX6 - too many guys out there nipping at your feet....

How long did the drive take, roamer? Nice pictures, nice beach, all peace and quiet.... sigh!

What's that language - Portugese?
Thanks for welcome.
MX6 has given full permission to hijack the thread

Yes, will think of a good signature. Been going through this thread for sometime. You, MX6 and AP has made this thread very informative.

Korlai is around 120 kms from Mumbai. Takes max 3 hrs with leisure speeds. Yes its very quite. Sitting on the fort walls you can hear the only sound beach waves and inbetween of seagulls.

The fort was built by portuguese. nd the natives of Korlai still speaks the distinct dialect named Kristi (Mix of portuguese and marathi).
roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 16:59   #177
BHPian
 
vrprabhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 834
Thanked: 319 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Nice to see Bhatghar dam in daylight! I remember crossing this place around 3 - 3:30 am.
You are disqualified - can't you be banished?

BTW, the reader interest seems to be waning - any idea to perk it up?

Last edited by vrprabhu : 25th May 2010 at 17:00.
vrprabhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 17:00   #178
Senior - BHPian
 
ASHISHPALLOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: BRMT
Posts: 1,986
Thanked: 283 Times
Default

what you see in the pic of dam is not the original dam wall built by British.
The original dam wall is behind the new wall[ the dam wall in the pic].
The gates at the dam are automatic.

The water in the yesaji kank reservoir is the source of drinking and irrigation water of my city.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 25th May 2010 at 17:04.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 17:02   #179
BHPian
 
vrprabhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 834
Thanked: 319 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
what you see in the pic of dam is not the original dam wall built by British.
The original dam wall is behind the new wall[ the dam wall in the pic].
The gates at the dam are automatic.

The water in the yesaji kank reservoir is source of drinking and irrigation water for me in bmt.
All the more reason why it is a great dam!

Never been to Baramati - what about a meet there?
vrprabhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 17:10   #180
BHPian
 
roamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 58
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
All the more reason why it is a great dam!


Never been to Baramati - what about a meet there?
I remember reading in one old post of someone arranging a party at Baramati
roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fauji's Drivologues: Charming Chettinad - Magnificent Mansions & Mouth Watering Menus Fauji Travelogues 53 23rd August 2016 11:05
Magnificent Meenmutti & Misty Ponmudi Nutty Nair Travelogues 16 22nd July 2014 07:57
Book Review : The Maharajas & Their Magnificent Motor Cars IndrojitSircar Vintage Cars & Classics in India 42 4th June 2013 14:25
Magnificent Pench ! fazalaliadil Travelogues 109 28th March 2011 18:21
The Magnificent Yellow Mountain: Of Beauty & Sweat Dolphin Travelogues 57 1st August 2008 15:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks