Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 31st May 2010, 22:07   #256
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
@ampere. Option to go to Ratangarh. Take the train to Pune. We drive from here.
I knew that option was always on!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 22:42   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@NN,

Lets see if we can make a joint visit some time! What say you sir!
Pune gang will join for sure!
Count me in, Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post

Nutty Nair, see my reply above! And, one more word of caution, my offer may expire quickly, because my company may relocate me this year....
Thanks a ton for the route & other info., VRP. Will definitely try to make this trek happen this year itself.

@ampere & @vrprabhu - Can you pl. PM me your numbers so that we can take this discussion outside this thread? Thank you.
Nutty Nair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 10:54   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty Nair View Post
Thanks a ton for the route & other info., VRP. Will definitely try to make this trek happen this year itself.

@ampere & @vrprabhu - Can you pl. PM me your numbers so that we can take this discussion outside this thread? Thank you.
Will do.

But I have a better idea. Either you or ampere, start another thread for a t-bhp meet for a trek to Ratangad. I am sure there will be more interested persons. If you can make it a group of 10-12 and 3 vehicles, you can have a good time for 2-3 days. That way, each member can put in his contribution and the logistics can be worked out.

I may not be in station from 2nd week of June till my daughters admission is over. Awaiting Kerala CAP2010 dates. So, my contribution will be upto 10th June or after first week of July.

Once you start the thread, PM the link to all those interested...
vrprabhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 11:05   #259
BHPian

I would be interested in this trek. It has been more than a year now since I had been on a trek and this place looks awesome. Also a drive would be an additional reason for joining in
KRRaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 11:21   #260
Senior - BHPian

@vrp,

I think harishchandragad trek will be more suitable than ratangad.

The views from both locations are almost same, area is same, conditions are same but....
...i think harishchandragad is more safer than ratangad.

Ratangad is still the place for criminals/gangsters to hide out.

Btw, malshej ghat-jivdhan fort-naneghat is also good for trek[ please look at my travelogue: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-naneghat.html (Monsoon masti: Malshej ghat, Jivdhan fort and Naneghat.)

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 1st June 2010 at 11:26.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 13:08   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
@vrp, I think harishchandragad trek will be more suitable than ratangad.

The views from both locations are almost same, area is same, conditions are same but.... i think harishchandragad is more safer than ratangad.

Btw, malshej ghat-jivdhan fort-naneghat is also good for trek
Agreed - Harischandragad is much better off - not so arduous. And the temple on the top, the caves, the view and the shivling amidst the water is definitely worth visiting - over and over again.

Ratangad - yes that's what the locals say. It is more treacherous and only a dependable village guide can make the tough & dangerous trek bearable. We found them to very friendly and just like you helped us with the food. And, these villagers have been termed as 'adivasis' by the Govt.!

But, ampere, seems smitten by Ratangad!!

Anyway, before I continue with our return trip from Gandhar Phale to Pune via Tamhini Ghat, I was just wondering if this is how Raigad / Mahad looked in early summer, how would it look now?

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-raigad.jpg

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-raigad1.jpg

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-raigad3.jpg
And, the lone palash (flame of the forest) rekindled our desire to see them again - in Mulshi / Tamhini / Pirangut....
Old 1st June 2010, 13:37   #262
BHPian

Default Satiated...

The biggest cruelty that one can inflict upon mankind is, to feed sumptuous food so that it is eaten till the belly is about burst, and immediately thereafter get the person back to work!

And, if the work involves riding 150 odd kms under the hot sun over broken road, it borders on madness... it was almost 3.00 PM and if we had to get back to Pune before sunset, there was no time to lament or think such thoughts

The road to Tamhini branches off the highway - towards a place called Mohammedwadi or something like that, I think. The road looks ordinary enough - no indication of what is going to be ahead, but for these....

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-return.jpg

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-flame.jpg

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-flame1.jpg

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-flame2.jpg

Anybody who loves driving and testing his skills, I think Tamhini, Bhor and Varandha Ghats are three places where you can be sure that you will be tested truly. Narrow, winding roads - sudden broken patches - blind turns, et al.

To top it all, wonderful scenery all round - what'll you do? Keep your eyes on the road or take in the scenery? Overtaking requires planning - thankfully, such instances will be few as traffic is thin. Curiously, nobody blows their horn during turns - after some time you also give up, feeling stupid - for whom are you blowing the horn anyway
Old 1st June 2010, 15:04   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Amazing drive I had in the rain. Almost 1 hour of heavy downpour.
The drive from Wakad till Sancheti hospital was beautiful.
You got out of the office by 5? Oh, how I envy you....

And, be warned - storm clouds are rolling in today also - the sky has already darkened outside my window!

I had the worst drive, while returning home at 8 PM - Sancheti to Aundh was OK. Thereafter, it was plain madness. I don't know all these morons - which includes plenty of high end car drivers also - simply drive on the wrong side, just to inch ahead? Discipline must be non-existent in their dictionary! Can't imagine - if this is how they behave on road, how would they be behaving / working in office? The place where I stay - Pimpale Saudagar - has become upwardly mobile now. So you can imagine the crowd there, and the kind of people who live there. It is a wonder that these people behind the wheel show no inclination to be patient and behave like any other auto / lorry / tempo / six-seater wallahs....
Old 1st June 2010, 15:12   #264
BHPian

This is the tree, and these are how the flowers look like...

Name:  crop.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  192.0 KB

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-macro.jpg

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-macro1.jpg

There is a village called "Palas" enroute. Locals say that in this village, the hillside is full of these trees. When they bloom, the leaves fall off - and present quite a sight. The whole area appears to be afire, and no wonder it has been termed 'flame of the forest'!
Old 1st June 2010, 15:14   #265
BHPian

Default And these, too!

In fact, red seems to be the dominant colour here...

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-pangararee1.jpg

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-100_0276.jpg

Just wait for a couple of more posts, and you'll see what I mean!
Old 1st June 2010, 15:15   #266
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You got out of the office by 5? Oh, how I envy you....

And, be warned - storm clouds are rolling in today also - the sky has already darkened outside my window!

I had the worst drive, while returning home at 8 PM - Sancheti to Aundh was OK. Thereafter, it was plain madness. I don't know all these morons - which includes plenty of high end car drivers also - simply drive on the wrong side, just to inch ahead? Discipline must be non-existent in their dictionary! Can't imagine - if this is how they behave on road, how would they be behaving / working in office? The place where I stay - Pimpale Saudagar - has become upwardly mobile now. So you can imagine the crowd there, and the kind of people who live there. It is a wonder that these people behind the wheel show no inclination to be patient and behave like any other auto / lorry / tempo / six-seater wallahs....
What's there to envy? who ever wants should leave office by 5! God to hear the sky has darkened. I shall move out early in that case to enjoy the rains yet again.
Come to Hinjewadi and try driving out at 6:30 pm. You'd see how many of the upwardly mobile drive on the wrong side to inch ahead. They'll scream ahead with horns blaring, headlights on high beam and go create a bottleneck at the wakad flyover trying to squeeze back in.
After seeing the great driving skills and adherence to road rules of the so called upwardly mobile s/w engineers, I have developed immense respect to the auto/ lorry/ tempo/ six-seater wallahs.
The IT guys of Hinjewadi (especially the two wheeler guys without helmet) rank equal to yellow plates who serve these offices!
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 15:16   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The road to Tamhini branches off the highway - towards a place called Mohammedwadi or something like that, I think. The road looks ordinary enough - no indication of what is going to be ahead,

Not Mohammed bhai but Nizam bhai,
The road forks toward Nizampur.

Btw, mangaon-nizampur-vile[ village at the base of tamhini ghat] road was really good, you can easily speed upto 80-100.[ don't know recent condition].
Almost every year, i do one day trip on chandani chowk-tamhini-vile-pali-khopoli-lonavala-exp way-pune route to enjoy monsoon scenery.

From Nizampur, you can get good view of Raigad fort.

There is small kachcha road from vile-nizampur route toward raigad fort.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 1st June 2010 at 15:26.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 15:33   #268
BHPian

Cool Runway...

This is the road ahead..
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-ahead.jpg

Just when you think of the sore bottom that will be result of riding 100 odd kms of such road, you are greeted with a sight like this. (Remember what I told you about skill test?)

Name:  runway3.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  163.7 KB

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-runway.jpg

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-runway2.jpg

I can't resist... Snap a few pictures, gun the throttle and Gladiator simply zooms ahead. Touched triple digit speeds (one and only time - so far); the red rider is me..... If you see the sequence of the pictures, you can guess what must have taken place

This place appears to be under development for some resort / getaway / holiday home / whatever... so, one stretch of the road has been beautifully laid. Too bad that the joy will be short lived, as this stretch is over in a flash! (Gone in 60 seconds!!)

MX6 - the thundershower have started - it is raining cats and dogs. I feel like dancin' in the rain! I am getting some pictures, and am sure you'll be out of office right now!
Old 1st June 2010, 15:37   #269
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
@vrp,

I think harishchandragad trek will be more suitable than ratangad.

The views from both locations are almost same, area is same, conditions are same but....
...i think harishchandragad is more safer than ratangad.

@AP Did not know there are such colours also associated with Ratangad!

Lets try the harishchandragad trek.
Let me do some home work + RnD! NN? KRR?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 15:39   #270
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@ampere. Also bring Addyhemmige and Jagga.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote