Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 10th June 2010, 18:46   #331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
And VRP has been kind enough to share his photos in my logue to add value here. Eagerly waiting for him to come back and post more.
This is going to look good on my resume'

Nice to know that I am missed...

Before I embark on my trip, started doing the spade work. Whew! So many travellers in Maharashtra and Karnataka and some going back and forth...

There are some excellent pictures of some of the places in these two states here. Now, if there could be another MX6 in Karnataka, there would be wonderful thread there too... (smartcat, are you listening?)

I found that Katraj Tunnel was much appreciated, but there are no proper pictures of the actual viaduct, so here goes....

1. The otherside of the lake - view as you move towards Pune
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-oth.jpg

2. The actual tunnel from Pune towards Katraj. Left goes towards Katraj and the right comes towards Pune.
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-tun.jpg

3. This the engineering marvel - the viaduct which helped the road to connect to the tunnel...see the height of the pillars. Reminds me of Konkan railway (now, where did I mislay those pictures?)
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-img_0705.jpg
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-picture-090.jpg
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-picture-099.jpg

These pictures were taken by end September - will look much better once the monsoon starts....

Last edited by vrprabhu : 10th June 2010 at 18:48.
vrprabhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 18:52   #332
MX6
Senior - BHPian

This morning I read in the paper that a boulder fell on a pillion rider and killed him near the new katraj tunnel. Scary. I know people don't wear helmets. But what will one do if a boulder falls? Even if one is in an armoured tank?
Seems it's the handiwork of vaanar as per pune mirror. Poor monkeys. They don't even realise that they are being blamed.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 16:55   #333
MX6
Senior - BHPian

It rained last night here. And it is rains in Udupi are "Awesome" as per my friends there. So the monsoons are on.

Coming back to Matheran, Here are some more photos of Charlotte lake and the Echo point.
Wife's very happy. Far from the maddening crowd, Charlotte lake was a romantic setting. So what if there were over 400 people around us.
Name:  Charlotte Late one.jpg
Views: 1888
Size:  49.1 KB

Two plates of channa bhatura did the trick. Looking forward to long hours of walk!
Name:  Me at charlotte Late.jpg
Views: 1230
Size:  50.6 KB

We had to wait in queue to stand here and pose for a photograph. So many couples were there. So we followed suit but toned down the pose. everyone else stood there aping Kate Winslet and Leonardo Di Caprio. I told my wife that we shall do that in an actual cruise ship. An opportunity opened up when we crossed the english channel in a ship. But we thought it was crazy. Just went to the top deck and enjoyed the chill for sometime before coming down again.
Name:  Us at Charlotte Lake.jpg
Views: 1266
Size:  53.0 KB

Till date, this is my favourite photograph of Mon Ange, I ever clicked! This one's at echo point.
Name:  At echo point.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  36.8 KB

Look at the stark difference in the foliage at echo point. Green top, but the sides of the mountain walls are brown and dead. Frankly, I didn't expect such green top in end of Dec.
Name:  Echo Point 4.jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  89.5 KB

Close up of Echo point.
Name:  Echo Point 3.jpg
Views: 1195
Size:  61.5 KB
Old 12th June 2010, 09:43   #334
BHPian

nice pics MX6.
Guys - here are few pics from our trek to Rajmachi couple of years back...the monsoon season in Sahyadri is a treat to eyes..enjoy..

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-dscn1184.jpg

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-dscn1192.jpg

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-dscn1211.jpg

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-dscn1237.jpg

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-dscn1251.jpg

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-dscn1254.jpg

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-dscn1255.jpg
C300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 13:30   #335
Team-BHP Support

The place looks awesome. Was it pretty windy that day?
The grass seems heavily tilted.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 15:29   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The place looks awesome. Was it pretty windy that day?
The grass seems heavily tilted.
In fact it wasnt windy at all...i guess its because of the slope and heavy rain..
C300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 19:16   #337
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
In fact it wasnt windy at all...i guess its because of the slope and heavy rain..
OK I get it. But colour of the grass has a mesmerizing touch to the snap!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 00:31   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
There are some excellent pictures of some of the places in these two states here. Now, if there could be another MX6 in Karnataka, there would be wonderful thread there too... (smartcat, are you listening?)
check ravibhat's thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-pictures.html (Exploring Karnataka Place after Place - With Pictures)
arindamray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 14:54   #339
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday did the Pune - Bhor - Varandha ghat - Mahad - Tahmini ghat- Pune drive. It was not raining anywhere in this region . Total run was about 280 km. I enjoyed the weather but then drizzling would have been icing on the cake. I was disappointed to see couple of dams with out much water. I hope it rains healthy this year. I will upload the snaps as early as my home net connection starts to work.
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 17:30   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Yesterday did the Pune - Bhor - Varandha ghat - Mahad - Tahmini ghat- Pune drive. It was not raining anywhere in this region . Total run was about 280 km. I enjoyed the weather but then drizzling would have been icing on the cake. I was disappointed to see couple of dams with out much water. I hope it rains healthy this year. I will upload the snaps as early as my home net connection starts to work.

I guess its too early..let it pour for 8-10 days...Nature will then explode with beauty...
amit_3306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 12:38   #341
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks c300. Boy, it has rained buckets of water in Pune. Unfortunately I missed the action in the hotspot. I was on a 3 day push to the edge trip of 3 Jyotirlings!
However, on the way back from Omkareshwar, I was greeted by non stop lightning for almost 3 hours from Ajanta caves till a little beyong Aurangabad. Visibility was poor. There were fallen trees and I had to crawl at stretches.
I don't know what kind of mania drives me to madness. I left at 5 am on a saturday and came back at 3 am on a tuesday with 1481 kms in between. Worst was that a bit of choo chaa rubbed on me as well. Guess it's to do with reading Unoczar's log!
As I type this, there's a nice drizzle outside my office window.
Old 15th June 2010, 12:47   #342
Distinguished - BHPian

If it helps, the car is supposed to be the safest place to be in a lightning storm

But the falling trees? hmm. Us Bangaloreans are quite used to this phenomenon. Do a Google search for "Bangalore Tree Fell".

Roll cage - needs to be optional equipment in cars sold in Bangalore.
smartcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 17:45   #343
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@AP: Quick question. Have you been on Kali Ghat (not the kolkata temple place). The ghat between Kannad (not the language) and Chalisgaon, I believe is Kali Ghat. Or is it Kannad ghat?
That would probably rank as the craziest ghat I've driven on. Can't comment about Varandha as I did it in pitch darkness.
Sorry folks, I couldn't take photos of the ghat in question here as I was carrying my DSLR. Can't use it while driving. The ghats were like sheer cliff on one side and a long road then a hair pin bend and sheer cliff on one side and a long road. couple of turns and I was down from over 2000 ft to near sea level. I shall get the exact details when I import my gpx on to google earth later tonight.

Last edited by MX6 : 15th June 2010 at 17:50.
Old 15th June 2010, 18:04   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
@AP: Quick question. Have you been on Kali Ghat (not the kolkata temple place). The ghat between Kannad (not the language) and Chalisgaon, I believe is Kali Ghat. Or is it Kannad ghat?
yes,
I passed through that ghat way back 20 years ago when i was going to Gouatala sanctuary.
The ghat is named kannad ghat[ actual name is different].
I go to Aurangabad almost every month on business trip but never went to these locations due to lack of time.
May be , i will check it next time.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 18:56   #345
Distinguished - BHPian

My Contribution to this wonderful thread. Pics were taken during the 2008 monsoons in and around Lonavala.

Name:  IMG_0815.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  47.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0821.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  60.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0822.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  73.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0823.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  55.1 KB