Size:  63.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0917.jpg
Views: 1298
Size:  54.6 KB
paragsachania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 12:19   #347
BHPian

Default Trip to Vajreshwari

The Shree Vajreshwari Yogini Devi Mandir is a Hindu temple dedicated to the goddess Vajreshwari, located in the town Vajreshwari, 75 km away from Mumbai. The town, earlier known as Vadvali, was renamed Vajreshwari in honour of the presiding deity of the temple.

History
In 1739, Chimaji Appa - the younger brother and military commander of Peshwa Baji Rao I- had set camp in the Vadvali region on his way to capture the Portuguese held Bassein Fort of Vasai. The fort was unconquerable even after a three-year war. So Chimaji appa prayed to goddess Vajreshwari that if he could conquer the fort and defeat the Portuguese, he would build a temple to the goddess. According to legend, goddess Vajreshwari appeared in the dream of Chimaji Appa and told him the way to conquer the fort. On the 16 May, the fort fell and defeat of Portuguese in Vasai was complete. To celebrate his victory and to fulfill the vow taken in front of goddess Vajreshwari, Chimnaji appa ordered the new Subhedar (governor) Shankar Kasav Phadke to build the Vajreshwari temple. The temple' architecture is based on Bassein Fort.

The Nagarkhana in main entrance gate was built by the Gaikwads, Maratha dynasty of Baroda. The stone steps leading to the temple and the Dipamala (A tower of lights) in front of the temple were built by Nanasaheb Chandavadakar, a moneylender from Nashik.

Here are a few photos that I had taken, sorry for the clairty as they are taken from my mobile.

OgAAABZp54a8EFkSRzeKZoI_lXJedz8XCTMyxqRw97kwEpPx1WDnO7hWMy3r6fH7-pN0JzgN-Euaz_W2lcnls8vjX3oAm1T1UPQV

OgAAACteq8sZAiKi216DxzxAOanhDXQwf4Axt9YlGoZjNIOwzmXwyUD3MZzBaPe3nDIvXazShwM9koFcWHSxGCd4B1sAm1T1UB7e

OgAAADdR08cXGtaQBWcVk7pZ1mA2GEEvt6Sr6q1ETPTYMLlHqWrXSNQ-d8uecs_7SBOQHGstfV6dlgQUOqjoXN3No8EAm1T1UOa5

Last edited by malgudi : 18th June 2010 at 12:21.
malgudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 12:45   #348
MX6
Senior - BHPian

What does one get to see in Lonavala when returning there after over 7 years?
1. Traffic jams.
2. Irate drivers who bring in bumper to bumper traffic of city in to a tourist destination.
3. Incessant honking.
4. Massive deforestation and concretization.
5. Soaring temperatures and an A/C working over time.

Apart from there, there was also a Benz that caught fire near lonavala at the eWay causing more snarls inside lonavala as many tried taking a detour. So Nano guys can relax, even Benz catches fire!
The great thing about the weekend at Lonavala was seeing one's kid enjoy nature.
My daughter nearly yanked a Monkey's tail, chased ducks and turkeys, touched and smelt flowers, could relate to the song "There is Life" from bambi that she saw in TV!

I took the old highway and didn't go above 65 kmph the whole trip. This was to be a relaxed trip and hence it was. The photos will follow once I'm through with my Matheran episode which I plan to finish today.
Oh not to mention that there was street racing between a Scorpio and a Swift and the Scorpio nearly rear ended me on the slow right lane!
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 12:55   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
1. Traffic jams.
2. Irate drivers who bring in bumper to bumper traffic of city in to a tourist destination.
3. Incessant honking.

Apart from there, there was also a Benz that caught fire near lonavala at the eWay causing more snarls inside lonavala as many tried taking a detour. So Nano guys can relax, even Benz catches fire!
The great thing about the weekend at Lonavala was seeing one's kid enjoy nature.
My daughter nearly yanked a Monkey's tail, chased ducks and turkeys, touched and smelt flowers, could relate to the song "There is Life" from bambi that she saw in TV!

I took the old highway and didn't go above 65 kmph the whole trip. This was to be a relaxed trip and hence it was. The photos will follow once I'm through with my Matheran episode which I plan to finish today.
Oh not to mention that there was street racing between a Scorpio and a Swift and the Scorpio nearly rear ended me on the slow right lane!
>>> Yesterday's HT reported that all tourist destinations in Maharashtra have had heavy bookings once the monsoon decided to shower its blessings on us. Lonavla/Khandala is one of such touristy destinations- so your bulleted experience is par for the course. Nature watch has become an exceptional experience in all these places, with ugly concrete sprawl and bad civic sense ubiquitous.

65 kmph on the NH4 looks good.

Biut rear ended in the slow right lane?? I thought we still had drive to the left- the right lane meant for overtaking.

Last edited by issigonis : 21st June 2010 at 12:56.
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 13:16   #350
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
Biut rear ended in the slow right lane?? I thought we still had drive to the left- the right lane meant for overtaking.
Nearly rear ended. What else can you do when there's street racing between morons. Will detail it later.
And yes, Lonavala and Khandala was packed. I managed to get bookings in my company holiday home. Which meant that I got the double bed with lcd tv and other full furnishing with a chef and things like that absolutely free for two nights!
But we were sweating profusely and I decided to come back to Pune on sunday night!
Nothing beats the joy of seeing my daughter laugh.
Old 21st June 2010, 16:29   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
1. Traffic jams.
3. Incessant honking.
A very valid point MX6!

I would add couple of more such 'destructive changes' that have come to Lonavala.
1. All the 'famous' tourist spots becoming overcrowded during Monsoon. This overcrowding is to the extent that I have seen people 'fall over' each other. ( Bhushi dam is a classic example of this case ). No wonder multiple accidents are the result.
2. Nuisance of 'uncontrolled and uncivilized' behaviour of 'badly drunk' crowd. This has now gone to the extent that I completely avoid taking my family to any 'famous' spots during monsoon. I rather prefer to visit spots that are not known to the masses and hence not crowded.
pranav_mankad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 17:01   #352
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranav_mankad View Post
A very valid point MX6!

2. Nuisance of 'uncontrolled and uncivilized' behaviour of 'badly drunk' crowd. This has now gone to the extent that I completely avoid taking my family to any 'famous' spots during monsoon. I rather prefer to visit spots that are not known to the masses and hence not crowded.
True Pranav. My daughter wanted to chase monkeys at Rajmachi point in Khandala. I let her down on the ground only to find broken glass pieces (courtesy liquor bottles) strewn all around. I had to pick her up.
It is hard to explain a child who is hardly 16 months and some weeks that glass pieces are harmful.
But thankfully, we didn't encounter badly drunk crowd.
Old 21st June 2010, 17:19   #353
SDP
Team-BHP Support

My family's annual pilgrimage to Lonavala-Khandala-Khopoli is planned for this weekend. We typically do cover the standard fare on a weekday (Friday/Monday) and go to off-beat places or just relax at the room and watch rain on the weekend.
This year, no such luck and we would be there bang on the weekend. So mentally prepared for unruly bumber-to-bumper traffic in Lonavala which would easily eat up more than an hour to cross a 2 km stretch.

As most of you would be aware, the whole stretch of old Mumbai-Pune highway through Lonavala gets jam-packed with vehicles. Most tourist visit the Bhushi dam and the rail-over bridge just after the Kumar resorts junction seems to be the only way to get to the other side, which causes the traffic havoc. Are there any parallel internal routes that you are aware of to bypass the traffic?

BTW, can fellow-bhpians suggest any less-crowded places in and around Lonavala-Khandala? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SDP : 21st June 2010 at 17:24.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 17:44   #354
Distinguished - BHPian

Quick weekend getaways from bigger cities are always the same anywhere. This is one reason it has been years together that we have not driven to Mysore as a tourist but merely passed the city to reach another destination.

The frustration is not only to drive from Bangalore to Mysore and back but also in Mysore hunting for places to park and have lunch/dinner.
My wife often made me listen if I can ever take to any place other than
Belur-Chikmagalur on a weekend (which happened to be my hometown) and for once suggested me Mekedatu on a Sunday.

We reached there only to find a beeline of vehicles parked haphazardly and drunk crowd taking a dip in the river passing lewd comments on the tourists. We were here for not more than 5 minutes and started back!!

Lonavala has now become a victim of "tourists" from two big cities (Pune and Mumbai) which gets clogged during weekends and during monsoons.

I still remember Mullayanagiri (a peak near Chikmagalur) which only the locals knew (Bhpians from Malnad region will vouch for this) and on a weekend today you will see this place getting crowded than usual (Mostly from Bangalore). Adding to this, they behave as if they own the road and will not want to get down to make/give way on a single laned road.

Belur was not flocked by too many tourists earlier and during an annual temple fair in April-may 2010, the crowd exceeded the maximum number as a result of which, cars were parked all around the temple and tourists answering nature's call in between the bushes behind the houses around the Temple. (Our House faces one wall of the Temple's complex) and we had to literally hunt them and run behind them!!!

Yes, I also belong to those categories who prefer places which are odd during odd seasons taking the odd routes.

Me and Dad once after traversing through Pirangut, Lavassa and Pavana dams reached Lonavala, decided to take the good old NH4 back to Pune and it was a very pleasant drive all the way!!

In the end, the story is the same anywhere!

Last edited by paragsachania : 21st June 2010 at 17:52.
paragsachania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 17:50   #355
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@SDP. There are arterial roads. And I have them as track logs. I shall upload the same in this thread tonight (will get them on to mapsouce/ google earth and load screen shots).
Those roads are good and you can easily avoid the traffic snarl near Kumar resorts.
I'd suggest the interior roads unless you want to keep starring at the chikkis on the innumerous shops which claim to be the original maganlal stuff on that road
Old 21st June 2010, 21:00   #356
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Thanks MX6! That would be really helpful. Really appreciate the kind gesture.
- SDP
Old 26th June 2010, 00:15   #357
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@SDP
Apologies for the delay. Please find the maps attached.
The red line shows the regular old NH4 that goes through lonavala with maganlal chikkis on either side.
1 refers to the point where kumar resorts is. It is on the road that branches off from nh4 towards INS shivaji. The bottle neck is often this place, with cars trying to turn in to that road from either direction on NH4. So taking a left turn from this road on to NH4 towards Khandala is easier.
2 refers to lonavala railway station,
I'd suggest you to take the blue line which I've marked. Get off the old highway before you hit the entry and exit points to the expressway from the old highway. There's a road that leads left which goes to Kaveri farms. It's a well known landmark and ask for it. Everyone knew kaveri farms.
Ive mapped a yellow line that splits from the blue line. It goes and joins the old NH4 through the ST stand. SO you can ask people for ST stand. There's a small stretch of red line you still need to cover. That should not be much of a hassle.
Conversely, if you follow the blue line completely, you'd Join the road that goes from lonavala to INS shivaji near the lonavala dam wall. Then it's a quick drive to the other end of Kumar resorts following the blue line.
There are other routes which can also be taken. But be cautious to ask local person whether cars can pass through. Some of them are so narrow that you may get stuck somewhere.
Hope this helps.
Name:  Lonavala.JPG
Views: 5779
Size:  70.2 KB
Old 28th June 2010, 12:05   #358
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Thumbs up First monsoon (?) trip of this season

Thanks MX6 for the detailed route map. Did follow part of your recommended route and managed to escape the traffic to a decent extent!
As you had cautioned last week, Lonavala-Khandala was sunny & sweaty . I have never been to the region so early in the monsoon season and it was an altogether different experience.
Although the fog and rain was sorely missed, the brilliant clarity opened up a lot of opportunities to see some fantastic views of the valley.
Here's a quick summary of the weekend:
Saturday first half -> A leisurely drive on the Aamby valley route (Tiger's leap, lions point, Peth Shahapur, Bhushi dam)
Saturday second half -> Karla caves
Sunday first half -> Zenith waterfalls (Khopoli)
Sunday second half -> Another leisurely drive all the way to the Pawana lake

Last edited by SDP : 28th June 2010 at 12:11.
Old 28th June 2010, 13:26   #359
BHPian

Smile Sinhagad...just awesome!!

Went to Sinhgad this weekend. It was awesome. Green everywhere, very pleasant weather!. Let the photos do the talking...
Just to mention - Saw two Tata Safari's stuck on the steep slope, one had heavy smoke coming out of the bonet!!
Attached Thumbnails
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-27062010098.jpg  

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-27062010099.jpg  

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-27062010104.jpg  

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-27062010106.jpg  

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-27062010116.jpg  

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-27062010126.jpg  

Last edited by ulhas.ahirrao : 28th June 2010 at 13:27.
ulhas.ahirrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 13:36   #360
BHPian

Default Nandivalli village , Mulshi

We had a event of distributing backpacks and notebooks to under-priviledged children living in Nandivalli and couple of more villages around the Mulshi dam, on Saturday 26th June. They are the children of farm labourers etc. Nandivalli is about 35-40Kms from Chandani Chowk towards Tamhini Ghat .

Here are some snaps to do the talking .
Attached Images

vikrantj is online now   Reply With Quote