Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 6th July 2010, 18:37   #406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
@vrprabhu,
good that you are back!!!!

its time for monsoon drives and trek.

please reserve 25/26 sept for kaas drive and 17th july for lonavala meet.
please check meet thread.
Thanks, AP saheb.

Yes, I know. Kaas is always beckoning me (it is my screen-saver!). But - this is a long but - have to go back to Mangalore to leave my daughter at her college. I am really heart-broken - this was a team-bhp given opportunity for a nice group trip / meet / drive...

Let me see if I can atleast make it to Lonavala?

The annual 'Pandarpur Dindi' is on its way. Tukaram Paduka just entered Pune - here are a few snaps. The rains are still playing spoilsport

1. The lead group
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-sj1500021.jpg

2. The palki on its way and the sea of people
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-sj1500023.jpg

3. The chariot carrying the paduka
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-sj1500025.jpg

4. Couldn't get any closer as it was too crowded...
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-sj1500024.jpg
vrprabhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2010, 19:19   #407
Senior - BHPian

Hi vrprabhu,

we used to go from Kothrud to Deccan Gymkhana to watch the dindi pass through. i was the assigned person to accompany my mother during 1987-90 when we were new to Pune.

some things never change. thanks for sharing the pictures.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2010, 19:31   #408
Senior - BHPian

Wait for 12 th july and i will have snaps of tukaram dindi in 12mati.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2010, 23:39   #409
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to tukaram dindi, it took me 2 hours and 44 mins to travel 39 kms today.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 10:39   #410
BHPian

Default Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Tukaram Paduka just entered Pune - here are a few snaps.
A small correction. These are the pictures of Dyaneshwar Paduka. (Tukaram Paduka entered Pune on Monday). Apologies.
vrprabhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 10:57   #411
Senior - BHPian

It seems that this year, rain god is waiting for some more time to bless the western Maharashtra in full glory.
Only Pawana dam is reasonably full at 33% capacity means Lonavala is getting good rains.
At this speed, i am sure, Bhandaradara will overflow in the month of sept.
It seems that Warana dam will be first to overflow.
Time to plan accordingly for monsoon drives.

I will activate my plan for august monsoon drive toward amba ghat, warana, vishalgad fort and marleshwar.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 7th July 2010 at 10:59.
Old 7th July 2010, 11:10   #412
Senior - BHPian

I am desperately waiting for rains. This time as well the rain has played spoilsport. Its already 7th July and we are yet to get regular rainfall. This year's Kaas drive is for sure in Sept, last time missed it by a week's time.
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 11:20   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Thanks to tukaram dindi, it took me 2 hours and 44 mins to travel 39 kms today.
Travel in Mumbai..especially Bandra to Navi Mumbai. You would not reach faster, but you will get used to it

I was returning from Kharghar on bike Sunday evening. Saw a blockade at the Pune-Mumbai Bypass junction. Continued on NH4 (gotta reach Pune IT Park). Second blockade at Nigdi Temple, no chance of getting through. Turned left and went ahead, got lost, turned back, reached Parihar via Wakad. Logest ride between Pune and Navi Mumbai

Last edited by Exhaust_Note : 7th July 2010 at 11:29.
Exhaust_Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 13:09   #414
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post
Travel in Mumbai..especially Bandra to Navi Mumbai. You would not reach faster, but you will get used to it

I was returning from Kharghar on bike Sunday evening. Saw a blockade at the Pune-Mumbai Bypass junction. Continued on NH4 (gotta reach Pune IT Park). Second blockade at Nigdi Temple, no chance of getting through. Turned left and went ahead, got lost, turned back, reached Parihar via Wakad. Logest ride between Pune and Navi Mumbai
In mumbai I become the apple of eye for all netas - Aam Aadmi. I take the local train to commute. Sadly Pune's public transport frequency is pathetic.
Old 7th July 2010, 14:26   #415
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sadly Pune's public transport frequency is pathetic.
Comparing it with Pune itself a few years before, definitely better today but has a long way to go in their offerings when compared to other cities. Things have certainly improved if not completely.
paragsachania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 14:59   #416
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Comparing it with Pune itself a few years before, definitely better today but has a long way to go in their offerings when compared to other cities. Things have certainly improved if not completely.
I disagree. Some years back, pune didn't have so much population as well. Last 3 - 4 years, the people who have come in to Pune (due to s/w), the development due to the same and the common wealth junior games is so huge. Sadly the public transport facility grew at a miniscule rate compared to it.
Pune was once a city of cycles, then bikes, now all kinds of monstrous vehicle. I'm part of the problem as I drive 68 kms a day to work.
Old 7th July 2010, 15:33   #417
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I disagree. Some years back, pune didn't have so much population as well. Last 3 - 4 years, the people who have come in to Pune (due to s/w), the development due to the same and the common wealth junior games is so huge. Sadly the public transport facility grew at a miniscule rate compared to it.
The Population did burst and yes, because of IT (was usually Automobile and components and various other industries making PCMC the richest municipal corporation in Asia once upon a time) . Pune seldom relied on Public transport since many years and that is the reason why 2 wheelers and cycles were so popular that every house sported at least two 2 wheelers. The advent of IT has created the need for it due to influx of populace from various parts of the country.

Even the pilot BRTS failed miserably (though the roads were wide enough).
The Ahmedabad BRTS has learnt from Delhi and Pune and is going to be a success story.

Apart from my usual drives, I have partly worked in Pune on assignments for more than 6 months in a stretch and have also witnessed the developments during the CYG in Sept-Oct 2008 with most of the roads being concretized, marked and again in mid 2009 - till Jan 2010. JNURM funds did help in procuring more buses (remember the state of buses before that) and it certainly helped to make things better.
The way PCMC spent money for development of Pimpri and Chinchwad areas puts PMC to shame!
The difference I saw in 2 years was definitely positive in terms of the frequency of buses as well the routes (though I always drove). At least, that is what I feel!

The bypass has hardly any Public transport, yet many employees driving due to lack of it and so is the connectivity from major IT parks to eastern locations like KP, Kalyani nagar, Yerawada etc. The frequency must be increased.

Quote:
Pune was once a city of cycles, then bikes, now all kinds of monstrous vehicle. I'm part of the problem as I drive 68 kms a day to work.
Agree and it earned the tag of the 2 wheeler capitial as well. Have seen it grow since my childhood & It still contends (or it is already) for the next Metro city tag being a non state capital. Our budget always favors capital cities and like the classic saying Pune has always been a victim of big brother Mumbai, the positive side being that Pune will not witness mega rallies every other day like how it happens here.

And Yes, I too was a part of the problem (Those 3-4 Kms from Hinjewadi chowk till Wakad Signal) but was lucky to take on the bypass till Shinghgad Rd which was 23 Kms one way. (In Bangalore, I do 70kms each day).Better Public transport would mean extinction of those notorious 6 seaters making traffic a little better.

In all, the transport scene is bad (if not worse) but the difference can be seen.

Last edited by paragsachania : 7th July 2010 at 15:37.
paragsachania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 15:42   #418
Senior - BHPian

Do anyone have stay experience of resorts at Amba ghat?

Burp....sorry..sorry....
i landed at wrong thread of public transport in pune.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 7th July 2010 at 15:46.
Old 7th July 2010, 15:42   #419
SDP
Team-BHP Support

MX6,
This thread is fast turning into 'Rant about Pune traffic' :-).
When are you planning to post the pics of your Lonavala trip and the last-weekend drive? Lot of folks, including me, are eagerly waiting for some snaps that would give some 'thandak' to the eyes.

Last edited by SDP : 7th July 2010 at 15:49.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 15:48   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
In Bangalore, I do 70kms each day.
Oh My god! In Bangalore traffic!!! And you are not changing the job or the house

Sorry for going OT

Last edited by arindamray : 7th July 2010 at 15:49.
arindamray is offline   Reply With Quote