Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 23rd July 2010, 15:46   #466
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I almost bit the monitor when I saw the last few berry photos! BTW, is it not odd having your panel with all the readings bang in the middle and not in front of the driver?
If I have such a car in US, that will be the first reason I'll quote if a cop flags me for speeding. Sorry, couldn't note what speed I was in as the dial is far away from my eyesight!
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 15:52   #467
BHPian

Yup the berries look very fresh

YES Initially it felt a bit odd, I mean for the first 20 kms or so but then got used to it, Actually you would be amazed by the fact that one doesn't need to take off his sight from the road completely to read the meter.
cheers!!
schitre05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 18:12   #468
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys I was planning for a trip to Lonavala, Khandala and Lavasa during September, but unfortunately the trip has been postponed to December. Will these places be enjoyable during December? What about the waterfall levels? Are there any other offbeat places which can be included in the trip around Pune or Mumbai? I have been to Mahabaleshwar, Tapola and Panchgani so don't want to include these places again. Please help.
//M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 18:29   #469
MX6
Senior - BHPian

With failed monsoon till now, we might not find water in lavasa, Lonavala and Khandala by december. Nevertheless, Lavasa and Khandala would be good with some excellent views. Don't expect waterfalls beyond end of October. Try Konkan coast in dec as you've already been to Mahabaleshwar.
Old 24th July 2010, 00:29   #470
MX6
Senior - BHPian

It's 12:25 now. Sleep is round the corner. Just finished packing most of the things for my drive to Harihareshwar tomorrow. Planning to leave early in the morning by 5:30. I shall try to add photos during the trip itself. With a bit of rains the last couple of days, things look very promising. I changed the rear wheel bearings yesterday. Man, the sound was horrible. Changed it in nick of time. Both the bearings had broken teeth. Now my vehicle is at it's smoothest again!
This is the route I'm taking
Pune - Tamhini ghat - Mangaon - Mhasala - Harihareshwar.
Thanks AP saab. Will try the Bapat place you adviced.
Old 24th July 2010, 06:33   #471
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
With failed monsoon till now, we might not find water in lavasa, Lonavala and Khandala by december. Nevertheless, Lavasa and Khandala would be good with some excellent views. Don't expect waterfalls beyond end of October. Try Konkan coast in dec as you've already been to Mahabaleshwar.
Thank You MX6.
Even I want to do the trip during September but some limitations are forcing me to postpone the trip. Thanks a lot for your advice.
//M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2010, 11:34   #472
BHPian

Quote:
It's 12:25 now. Sleep is round the corner. Just finished packing most of the things for my drive to Harihareshwar tomorrow. Planning to leave early in the morning by 5:30. I shall try to add photos during the trip itself. With a bit of rains the last couple of days, things look very promising. I changed the rear wheel bearings yesterday. Man, the sound was horrible. Changed it in nick of time. Both the bearings had broken teeth. Now my vehicle is at it's smoothest again!
Thanks AP saab. Will try the Bapat place you adviced.
you must have reached Shree Kshetra Harihareshwar by now. It is raining heavily here in Mumbai, hopefully you would have got a similar climate enroute. It must have been a real pleasure driving in absolute nature rich roads of the konkan belt. waiting for the updates
cheers!!!
schitre05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2010, 10:07   #473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
you must have reached Shree Kshetra Harihareshwar by now. It is raining heavily here in Mumbai, hopefully you would have got a similar climate enroute.
Got sms from mx6 last night.

As expected, the area is under heavy rain and the river is overflowing between Nizampur and Mangaon.

Mx6 may take expressway for return journey.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 00:15   #474
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I did exactly that. Drove from Harihareshwar to Pune through this route.
Harihareshwar - Srivardhan - Dive agar - Mhasala - Mangaon - Khopoli - E-way - Home.
It was raining hard and several rivers were swollen and threatened to breach and flow over the bridge. One river actually was flowing over a bridge between Nizampur and Mangaon. Was scary with the water levels up to my headlights level.
The last two days were the wettest I've ever seen since the terrible mumbai floods some years back. Just reached back home an hour back. It rained and rained and rained. From Saturday 6:30 am till Sunday 7 pm, only 30 mins or so was without rains. I didn't dare expose my DSLR to such inclement weather. Just used my point and shoot which got fooled in such heavy rains and extremely low light conditions.
Photos will start rolling tomorrow. But they aren't so good as I didn't want to damage my DSLR. Never touched the tripod as well in the trip. But there were over 200 waterfalls we counted beyond which we lost count!
Old 26th July 2010, 12:48   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did exactly that. Drove from Harihareshwar to Pune through this route.

It was raining hard and several rivers were swollen and threatened to breach and flow over the bridge.
Good to know that you are back.

Monsoon is always bad time to hit konkan coast.

I hope, there will be one more future trip to diveagar on your agenda.
Old 26th July 2010, 13:53   #476
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Here's a teaser of what was in store for me in Harihareshwar trip.

Visibility at its best! Thank god my wipers worked non stop over the drive.
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-imgp4890.jpg

There were plenty of choo chas. So all the choo cha revellers will have fun reading what will unfold.

I took one umbrella against my plans of ending there without any. Kept my baby's head dry.

There were over 250 waterfalls we'd have counted. I took little over 7 hours to reach harihareshwar. Every 10 mins after Mulshi I stopped to take photos. Ofcourse, I told my wife, this is the last stop.

Another trip to Dive agar is in the offing. Planning to take my parents as well. Wife and I would love to soak in the monsoons in the beach. So can't take the baby in the wet as yet.

Let irfan view finish compressing the photos. The fury of Harihareshwar will unfold.
Old 27th July 2010, 14:13   #477
MX6
Senior - BHPian

30 minutes past midnight we had one of the strangest conversations.
Wife: Can you set the alarm at 4?
Me: Alarm at 4? We are planning to leave by 5:30. Isn't it enough to get up at 5? We've packed everything.
Wife: I have to boil milk for our child and feed her. Then get ready. Then wash two feeding bottles.
Me: I'll wake you at 4:30. I'll wash the bottles. I'll feed the baby. You just get ready.
Wife: Also set a reminder so that I'll message the milk man not to drop milk packets for 2 days.
Me: I'll remind you.

I was wondering all the while. We are gone away for 1.5 days and may be 400 kms. So much behind the scene work for this as well?

I woke at 4 am and quickly got the things ready. But my baby woke up too. Now that complicates things. I didn't want to set the alarm for the same reason. With her awake, all the work gets delayed.
We were off at 5:30 am, I tried converting a custom map to gpx and for some strange reason, kml2gpx was messing with me.
So I set out with the map shown by garmin.
Within minutes we were on Sinhagad road. Wait, Sinhagad road?
The raigad episode was flashing all over my mind. I hit the garmin to see the whole route and the bugger suggested the same route that didn't exist.
Sinhagad - Raigad - mahad - harihareshwar.
A quick u turn and took some arterial routes to hit the NH4 to get off at chandni chowk and we were on to mulshi.
Sky was clear till we hit the toll booth at mulshi. Is it some kind of line drawn for Varuna by some one?
the moment we crossed the toll it started pouring.
It rained for the next 30 odd hours.
Here's photos of Mulshi stretch.

And it started pouring.
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-imgp4690.jpg

I love driving in such rains.
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-imgp4693.jpg

We stopped a thousand times for photoshoots. So what if it rains? The umbrella helped keep my wife's and baby's head dry. I was soaked!
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-imgp4694.jpg

Waterfalls all around.
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-imgp4695.jpg

Water water everywhere.
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-imgp4696.jpg

Look at the cascades!
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-imgp4697.jpg

Couldn't risk my DSLR. These are handiworks of ordinary PaS
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-imgp4698.jpg

Mulshi Lake. Think we have loads of water?
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-imgp4699.jpg

Think again. We need loads of rain now to fill this up.
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-imgp4700.jpg

The sign says turn left. But the road ahead turns right. It's the rain effect I guess
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-imgp4701.jpg
Old 27th July 2010, 14:41   #478
BHPian

Default Pavana Dam

Some photos from Pavana Dam near Lonavala on Sunday 25th ...
Attached Images

vikrantj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 15:05   #479
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Wife tries her hand with the point and shoot.

How come you manage to get good photos when I get only vipers?
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-imgp4702.jpg

Now I stop driving and show her how it is done. She gets a hang of it. The trick is to use the autofocus once wiper has finished it's job. Then wait for the wiper to finish it's second cycle holding the trigger. Bam. You got it.
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-imgp4703.jpg

Then she gets the framing as well. I'm happy as she caught my garmin.
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-imgp4706.jpg

And now my hand is there too. I drive mostly with both the hands on the steering wheel. A practice right from the Amby days of 1990s.
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-imgp4708.jpg

Now she's getting better at it. Even as the rains batter down hard, she's managed to take interesting snaps.
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-imgp4709.jpg

The fields are full of water. Many places we saw paddy being washed away too sadly.
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-imgp4710.jpg

Then I take over the camera. Occassionally have to take the right hand off the wheel to click.
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-imgp4715.jpg

More rains, more fields, more photos.
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-imgp4718.jpg

That white blob bang in the middle of the photo turned out to be a Tavera.
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-imgp4720.jpg

That's one waterfalls on the road. We knew we were near Tamhini.
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-imgp4721.jpg
Old 27th July 2010, 15:11   #480
Senior - BHPian

[quote]
Quote:
1]the bugger suggested the same route that didn't exist.
Sinhagad - Raigad - mahad - harihareshwar.

2]Sky was clear till we hit the toll booth at mulshi. Is it some kind of line drawn for Varuna by some one?
1] The bugger suggested shortest route to harihareshwar.
when that madheghat will come into existence, that will save at least 70 km from pune to mahad.

2] The toll booth is not at mulashi. it is very near to pune, in fact within pune municipal limit on pune pirangut road 1 km after chandani chowk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
Some photos from Pavana Dam near Lonavala on Sunday 25th ...
I see a fort in your picture. Tikona fort.

Man, you posted the pics of pavana dam and here i was wondering whether hanuman brought that tikona fort near mulashi dam.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 27th July 2010 at 15:14.