Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 27th July 2010, 21:33   #496
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)

MX6, nice pictures. I was on this route till Tamhini village towards the beginning of the Monsoon this year. There were hardly any waterfalls there then. We came back with 2 big jackfruits bought from families selling them by the roadside.

Btw, I think, it is your car that I have spotted on a couple of occasions in Hinjwadi.

-Biju

Last edited by pjbiju : 27th July 2010 at 21:35.
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 21:38   #497
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
@ MX6
that last pic really looks scary.
otherwise fantastic greenery all around with milky white waterfalls simply awesome!!
please continue
cheers!!
Schitre. It WAS really scary. Not just that last pic two other pics below in the next post also show how scary it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Hi MX6,

Your rain drive pictures are simply great.
you seems to be enjoying one great life living in Pune. thanks for sharing a glimpses of it with us...

...just clicked on 5 star rating.
Thanks for the rating man! It means a lot coming from you. And keep watching there are over 100 more photos to be posted on the rains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post
I wonder your wife actually encourages you in all this adventure! Hats off to her.

Great drive; can experience the rain even through the pictures.
Wait till you read the choo cha part. Then you'd know what my wife really is made off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sami316 View Post
Hi MX6,
Just saw the pics of your warrior near the waterfall. AMAZING. The lush greenery really has an effect on all of us I believe. Yet to check out this TL. Maybe will go through this in one stretch this weekend.
Thanks for stopping by Sami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
MS, truly amazed that the adventurous trip you took and the complementing photographs. I loved them all with such lush greenery and the waterfalls.

imgp4757 with the road submerged in water only reminds me of the Hubli-Dharwad bypass I took during incessant rains last year which had daunted my courage momentarily since I was doing it all alone.

I am also amazed that you have a very supportive partner who is part of your trips with your little angel. I think thats the best part when you think of doing a trip and don't have to bother about finding a suitable company.
Thanks Parag. If you are referring to your trip in Oct, then I was driving down to Udupi and back the same time. Oct 2nd to 4th during those incessant rains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
MX6=The Rain man at its best !! What else one would say after seeing those beautiful rain pics.. MX boss, with such pics and 'live-like' commentary, you would soon create a 'rain-mania' on this forum! . OK ok rain drives added to my favorite's list. Keep them coming.
Wow. Thanks for the new name. This is the sole reason why I told you not to skip coastal karnataka. Because, rains make the whole place look different!

Thanks for the patronage guys. Watch this space for more photos. Atleast 50 of them will come up soon. Irfanview is not helping me. Errors out ever 2 files now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
MX6, nice pictures. I was on this route till Tamhini village towards the beginning of the Monsoon this year. There were hardly any waterfalls there then. We came back with 2 big jackfruits bought from families selling them by the roadside.

Btw, I think, it is your car that I have spotted on a couple of occasions in Hinjwadi.

-Biju
Now is the time to set out pjbiju. I couldn't make it to Neelkanteshwar. Had to go in to work on that saturday. And will not be able to make it to neelkanteshwar for atleast 4 weeks. Don't want to let the reason out yet. Watch this space!
And in all possibility you'd have noticed my car. You would make out 2 t-bhp stickers atleast from any side.

Last edited by MX6 : 27th July 2010 at 21:41.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 01:41   #498
BHPian

MX6 I did this trip (pune-harihareshwar-diveagar-pune) just a week before you. It didnt rain till Mhasala, but after tht it didnt stop raining !!! thats why I asked you to take an umbrella along Pics with water on the road look too scary, I was there a week before and it was a plesant drive and now it looks so dangerous. I was lucky I did this trip a week before.
happy.tripathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 06:59   #499
Team-BHP Support

Good monsoon log MX. Greater pictures and water bodies!
And yes, a real waterfall heaven.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 10:05   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Schitre. It WAS really scary. Not just that last pic two other pics below in the next post also show how scary it was.
Yup saw those pics later in the post. Good that you waited till some locals passed by, always a good thing. This reminded me of an incident we had during one of our monsoon trips near palasdhari, karjat in a hired sumo.

The driver wanted to wash the vehicle so he took it near the bank of on such rivulet, during this activity the size of the river suddenly increased due to continuous rainfall in the mountains his sumo got stuck in the soft mud, by the time we came back from our visit to the waterfall the sumo was well stuck till the footboard with a lot of wheel spin but no movement.

Someone from the group just went for help from the nearby locals. In no time there were around 12-14 young lads working on the sumo, some were digging off the mud others went in search of some grass.

The driver was then asked to put it in reverse gear with the movement of the wheels spinning the lads were pushing more and more grass in the wheel pits. Once they thought it was enough they asked the driver to put it in first and rev it, now with some grip under the wheels and some 10 manpower behind the sumo it came on hard land soon enough.
The lads were aptly rewarded and for us it was a new lesson learnt !!!
schitre05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 12:16   #501
BHPian

@Mx6: I had a similar experience couple of years back during our visit to dive agar. We had to wait at least for 3 hours to go cross the bridge which was flodded by river water.

one should be very careful touring kokan area during monsoons. You never know where you may stuck. And with the fiery rains even the small streams behave like a river ,not allowing you to cross.
amit_3306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 12:17   #502
BHPian

I would post picture of my recent visit to Wai via Mandhardevi...

Do we have any post on this route ???
amit_3306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 13:56   #503
SDP
Team-BHP Support

@MX6, the waterfalls pics and the pics with water on the bridge are really fantastic.
When you click monsson pics from inside the car, the movement of the car, the raindrops on the glass, the issues with auto-focus and the low-light conditions together sometimes create great snaps, which can qualify more as 'abstract art' rather than 'photographs'.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 18:34   #504
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
@MX6, the waterfalls pics and the pics with water on the bridge are really fantastic.
When you click monsson pics from inside the car, the movement of the car, the raindrops on the glass, the issues with auto-focus and the low-light conditions together sometimes create great snaps, which can qualify more as 'abstract art' rather than 'photographs'.
Thanks SDP. Monsoons are the best time in western India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_3306 View Post
I would post picture of my recent visit to Wai via Mandhardevi...

Do we have any post on this route ???
Not yet. But we soon would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_3306 View Post
@Mx6: I had a similar experience couple of years back during our visit to dive agar. We had to wait at least for 3 hours to go cross the bridge which was flodded by river water.

one should be very careful touring kokan area during monsoons. You never know where you may stuck. And with the fiery rains even the small streams behave like a river ,not allowing you to cross.
True Amit. It is indeed scary. Fluid mechanics was my fav subject during engg. I'm even afraid of dams. So flowing water psyches me out when I have to cross that in a car. But I don't mind swimming in those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
Yup saw those pics later in the post. Good that you waited till some locals passed by, always a good thing.
Thanks schitre. And yes, the sumo things is a learning experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Good monsoon log MX. Greater pictures and water bodies!
And yes, a real waterfall heaven.
Thanks ampere. There's more to come. It's also a rain heaven!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy.tripathy View Post
MX6 I did this trip (pune-harihareshwar-diveagar-pune) just a week before you. It didnt rain till Mhasala, but after tht it didnt stop raining !!! thats why I asked you to take an umbrella along Pics with water on the road look too scary, I was there a week before and it was a plesant drive and now it looks so dangerous. I was lucky I did this trip a week before.
Forget about 1 week before me. Joshi did this track 7 hours after me (returned through tamhini). His photos show no traces of rain!

I have to run out for a small work. Here's views of the rains from Mangaon till Harihareshwar. Story will continue once I'm back.

Mangaon to Mhasala was a breeze.
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-imgp4773.jpg
And the fog settles in again along with the rains.
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-imgp4774.jpg

No more of the big falls. But still the drive is fun
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-imgp4775.jpg

We don't know what lay ahead.
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-imgp4776.jpg

Finally the fog lifts itself and the rain comes down to a drizzle.
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-imgp4777.jpg

That's just out of focus. Not the fog.
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-imgp4778.jpg

A moment of no rain. Surprise. First time it stopped since crossing the toll gate on Paud road! Momentarily though.
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-imgp4779.jpg

Here begins the choo chas. We approach Mhasala and I stop for a pitstop. My daughter suddenly gets very disturbed. So my wife and I spend time pacifying her. After a small break, I reverse back to get in to the main road. Guess that's a mistake.
Anyway, I got back on the road and enter Mhasala only to find a huge traffic jam and am being regulated to take smaller bylanes. I hate this.
I don't mind sitting in a jam for hours. But smaller lanes in unknown towns, is a strict no no.
It was more like offroading on those crazy bylanes wide to accomodate only two bikes with climbs and drops and turns that would beat geometry.
Guess that's another mistake.
But eventually, I managed to get back on the road that goes to Srivardhan.
And I was motoring along at a gentle pace of 60 kph. My wife and daughter were sleeping on the back seat (daughter goes back to her car seat in the back).
And then I hear something. grrk grrk grrk. I turn behind to see if one of them is snoring
Nothing. I continue to drive a bit further and within 20 seconds, I hear it again. Grrk grrk grrk.
It was pouring outside and I couldn't hear myself. But this I could hear clearly.
I pulled over and stopped.

Last edited by MX6 : 28th July 2010 at 18:39.
Old 28th July 2010, 18:45   #505
Team-BHP Support

Overall, the road condition seems to be very good in general in these regions. I seem neat tarmac.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 18:56   #506
BHPian

Beautiful Roads and Great Scenery. MX6, that water flowing across the road was really scary indeed. Hope during the Kaas drive, we can expect similar Greenery

Last edited by KRRaj : 28th July 2010 at 18:58.
KRRaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 20:00   #507
MX6
Senior - BHPian

And the story of the choo chas continue.
I get down to see that my rear left wheel is flat. Completely flat. That was one hell of a puncture. Within seconds the tyre was flat like a pancake and the car ran on the rims! That caused the grrk grrk sound. Thank god I stopped immediately.

Now began the ordeal. It was pouring and I didn't have any shelter. So out came the stepney and jack. I was replacing the wheel dripping wet.
My wife steps out holding the umbrella above my head.
That wasn't of any use. My head was already wet and soon her legs were getting wet, along with the churidar she was wearing.
15 mins later, with the stepney in place and the flat wheel back in the boot, I started driving. even slower now. I was searching for tire repair shops enroute.
But the heavy rains meant that everything was closed.
My wife was feeling bad that I had to do this in the rains.

"Shiva is testing me", I told her.
"Oh come on. God has nothing to do with this. Don't take it so hard", said she.

30 mins later, we were at Harihareshwar. We crossed Srivardhan and I didn't want to stop asking for tire repair shops. I wanted to put my wife and daughter in a safe place and then venture out in that deluge to fix the tires. Anything happens, I can abandon the car there temporarily and hitch a ride in a bus or a share auto.

We caught up with some news in the tv in the resort for a while. Every local channel was gloriously showing how konkan rail stretch was between khed and some other station. That planted fear in my wife's mind. Will our return be ok?

I ventured out when the rains came down a bit to get the flat tyre fixed.

I stop to ask every mechanic I find on the way. Strangely, the two wheeler and lorry mechanics were working. The puncture wallahs had shut shop and gone home.

I finally came across a shop which had left a number on the board. A villager told me that the guy stays 10 mins away. He went home because of rains. You call him on the mobile, he will come.

So I dial his number.
Old 28th July 2010, 21:21   #508
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@ampere. Most of Maharashtra roads are good. We don't have illegal mining lorries here

@Krraj. Kaas is altogether a different place. The wild flowers would be a delight to watch.

Here's some photos of the resort before I continue with my puncture story.

View of the furious sea from the MTDC resort's restaurant.
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-imgp4784.jpg

Yes, it's still raining. Man, this place is crazy! You can place your order and go and sit in the hut. They'd bring it there. It's restaurant with a view!
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-imgp4785.jpg

The walkway from the cottages to the beach and the beach facing restaurant. Beware, they warned me. It's damn slippery as it had rained for 10 days! Please walk in the middle. Keep away from corners. Boy, it was slippery everywhere.
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-imgp4786.jpg

Road back to Srivardhan - in search of a tyrewallah
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-imgp4791.jpg

Glimpse of the arabian sea.
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-imgp4793.jpg

Another stop for a quick photo. So what if you are searching for a puncture shop still?
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-imgp4794.jpg
Old 28th July 2010, 21:45   #509
BHPian

Wow, the pics are just awesome MX6,
So what happened next. Did the Puncture wala picked up your call.
sami316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 22:27   #510
MX6
Senior - BHPian

His mother or someone picked it up.
The call went like this.
Me: Can you send him to the shop? I've travelled a long way with a child and have a puncture.
She: It's raining. Can't come now.
Me: I can wait.
She: Can't come till tomorrow.
Me: I can't take the risk of driving on 4 wheels with a child. It's just 15 mins work. Can't you send him now?
She: No. We can't come there. Our place is too far.
Me: But the people here state that you stay 10 mins away.
She: No. But it's raining a lot. We can't come. Go to (garbled words).

I moved ahead to another place. And another. And another.
Finally I came to this place. JK tyre wallah. Nothing to do with jk tyres.
Called the number.

Me: Repeated same thing
He: I'm not well. My boys aren't there?
Me: No one is there.
He: Guess they've closed the shop and gone for the day.
Me: I can wait. Can you reach your boys?
He: They don't have mobiles. You can wait at your own risk because no idea when they'd come.
Me: It's 4 pm now. I will wait till 5 pm. Just don't want to take the risk of driving in this weather with a busted wheel in the boot with a baby.
He: Sorry. Hope the boys come for you.

15 mins later a man comes in a bike.
He: Where you the person who called?
Me: Are you the person who's ill?
He: yes. My boys might not come. I felt bad. So I came.

Poor guy was having fever. Yet he braved the rains for me.

Me: You shouldn't have troubled yourself. I feel bad.
He: You are from pune. Had you been local, I'd have not come. 5 people already called me and I refused as they are local. These rains are bad. I don't want to feel bad later that I let someone go take a risk of driving in rains without a stepney.
Me: You are a kind man.

He yanked the wall tube. That came loose. I was shocked to see.
Yes, the wall tubes busted.
He: seems you drove a bit with the flat tyre.
Me: Hardly for 30 seconds. By the time I realised, I stopped. It didn't drag, there was no noise. The second time I heard grrk, I stopped. I'm surprised too.

He removes the tube from the tyre and says that a new tube has to be put in. This is busted.
Me: Do you have a new one? The specs are 175/70 R13.

He rummages through his junk and magically pulls out 175/70 R13.

I was amazed. It was apparently the only piece he had in that size.
He: It will cost 450.
Me: That's ok.
He: No. I want to tell you upfront.

He pulled out an inch long needle from my tyre after struggling with a pair of pliers.
Damn. There are only two places where that nail could have gone in.
Either when I reversed my car at that pit stop area near mhasala or the short detour I was forced to take in Mhasala. My two mistakes.

As a souvenir I collected the nail and the broken wall tube. Put the wheel in the boot.
Me: How much for your services?
He: 450 for the tube and 20 for fixing it. So 470.
I gave him 500.
He: Change nahin hai.
Me: Keep it sir. God has sent you.

Soon I was motoring back to Harihareshwar. Because my daughter would get up by 5:30 and it's time to take her to the beach.

It was still pouring. I told my wife that I got the puncture fixed. All's fine now.

I'd spent 2.5 hours fixing the puncture (basically had to change the tube altogether).

The nail and the broken wall tube.
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-imgp4795.jpg

That's just the beginning of the choo chas.

Last edited by MX6 : 28th July 2010 at 22:29.