Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 29th July 2011, 11:50   #721
BHPian

Default Re: Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
You should be taking this route - Pune - Satara - Karad - Kokrud - Malakapur - Amba. Just after Karad look for an exit for kokrud after the reliance petrol pump which will take you to Kokrud, malakapur and then Amba. If you wish to visit Kolhapur then of course you can proceed till Kolhapur and take the Ratnagiri road. This alternative road will avoid Kolhapur city traffic and lots of time for you.

The best resort in Amba would be Pawankhind. The location of Manali resort is good as well. On the internet you may find one Hornbill resort. Do not dare going to this resort, I had extremely unpleasant experience here. At pawankhind, you may have to opt for at least 1.5 days package which includes jungle safari (Not sure it's working in monsoon though!)
I travelled on this route last weekend. Pune-Karad NH4 is decent as always. The best way to take the exit for Malkapur is to count flyovers starting from Hotel pankaj in Karad. Take the exit under the 5th flyover or ask for 'Kale' phata or 'Pachvad'. Form the exit the route till malkapur passes via Kokrud. This road approx 55 kms is very scenic and in good condition. After malkapur, just before Amba Ghat a 1km patch is rough with tarmac washed away. Amba ghat is currently in all its glory with excellent vistas and very good roads. After descending Amba ghat the road till Ratnagiri via Pali is in good condition as well. Pune to Ratnagiri with a half an hour break is doable in 6 hours with sedate drving.
heman_369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2011, 21:22   #722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heman_369 View Post
I travelled on this route last weekend. Pune-Karad NH4 is decent as always. The best way to take the exit for Malkapur is to count flyovers starting from Hotel pankaj in Karad. Take the exit under the 5th flyover or ask for 'Kale' phata or 'Pachvad'. Form the exit the route till malkapur passes via Kokrud. This road approx 55 kms is very scenic and in good condition. After malkapur, just before Amba Ghat a 1km patch is rough with tarmac washed away. Amba ghat is currently in all its glory with excellent vistas and very good roads. After descending Amba ghat the road till Ratnagiri via Pali is in good condition as well. Pune to Ratnagiri with a half an hour break is doable in 6 hours with sedate drving.
Thats great!
Btw, where did did you stay?
Figopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 20:34   #723
BHPian

Quote:
Thats great!
I was actually visiting my native place which is between Amba and Pali. The best location in Amba is the Amba resort. I have also heard a lot about the jungle resort but no first hand experience.
heman_369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 00:23   #724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heman_369 View Post
I was actually visiting my native place which is between Amba and Pali. The best location in Amba is the Amba resort. I have also heard a lot about the jungle resort but no first hand experience.
Quote:
Thats great!
Thanks guys for all the help.
From Pune, I went to Kolhapur for Mahalakshmi darshan. Then proceeded to Panhalagad. Then went to Amba resort. I had called Amba resort a week back and they quoted Rs. 2250 twin sharing including food. I didnt confirm then. I called them on Saturday and he came straight down to 950 for accommodation and food on actuals which turned out to be a better deal. Its a nice resort. Clean rooms, right on the road. Food is tasty not the kolhapuri spicy type but good to eat.
Infact he gave an option to us to get chicken from the shop and he would cooks for us. We did that and enjoyed 2 preparations.
Amba ghat is simply awesome. The only thing is there are only 3-4 waterfalls to soak in. But the view was amazing. Had tea at the tea stall in ghat. Another must to do when you are there during the rains.
While returning I took the left from Malkapur towards Karad. Road is good except at few places. But again it's a scenic drive.
Posting some pics here.
Attached Thumbnails
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-dscn8763.jpg  

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-dscn8773.jpg  

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-dscn8812.jpg  

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-dscn8892.jpg  

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-dscn8897.jpg  

Attached Images

bigwheelz is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 16:45   #725
BHPian

Time to revive the thread, I guess ..... especially since I am back at my old haunts :-D

Are you out there, MX6?

This is more like a recap - of the times spent during intervening period (in nearby vicinity, I may add!)

Sorry for the picture quality : during rains my P&S could only that much.

Place is just a stone's throw from Mumbai - many of you must have already made a trip there. I can say one thing definitely - the scenery changes dramatically during monsoon.

Ideal for a day's outing and some highway eating!

Pictures [Part I]
Attached Thumbnails
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-img_5086.jpg  

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-img_5087.jpg  

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-img_5088.jpg  

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-img_5089.jpg  

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-img_5091.jpg  

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-img_5092.jpg  

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-img_5093.jpg  

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-img_5096.jpg  

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-img_5097.jpg  

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-img_5100.jpg  

vrprabhu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2014, 10:13   #726
BHPian

After seeing the above pictures, can't imagine that this place is just a stone's throw away from Mumbai!! In fact, for those adventurous, there is a beautiful waterfall not far away, but the road is not all that great. Saw that some people were venturing for a trek.....

To reach Tungareshwar, started off in the morning and took the WE highway. It was a week day and the traffic was expected - since it was a drive out, no hassles. The week day was chosen to avoid any crowds at the spot.

There were more number of people than expected - Mumbaikars can guess the kind we would have encountered!

Return was via Ghodbunder Road (after a halt on the highway for a bite) and Eastern Expressway - it was a breeze.

The whole trip took about 8 hours.

Anyway, here is a quick part II -
Attached Thumbnails
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-img_5102.jpg  

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-img_5104.jpg  

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-img_5105.jpg  

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-img_5108.jpg  

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-img_5109.jpg  

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-img_5110.jpg  

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-img_5111.jpg  

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-img_5119.jpg  

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-img_5120.jpg  

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-img_5121.jpg  

vrprabhu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2014, 11:04   #727
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
After seeing the above pictures, can't imagine that this place is just a stone's throw away from Mumbai!! In fact, for those adventurous, there is a beautiful waterfall not far away, but the road is not all that great. Saw that some people were venturing for a trek.....
I am really waiting for some one to give me a photo log of Paud-Mulshi-Mangaon-Bhor circle. I also feel you guys should explore this in winter. You would see brilliant colours. (Apart from shades of green which you get see in Monsson)

Something like this. (This is also Kaas)

ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 10:45   #728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I am really waiting for some one to give me a photo log of Paud-Mulshi-Mangaon-Bhor circle. I also feel you guys should explore this in winter. You would see brilliant colours.
I think there is indeed some posts and snaps of Varandha Ghat and Gandhar Phale Caves.

I have done the route like this : Pune - Bhor - Varandha Ghat - Bhirwadi - Mangaon - Nizampur - Tamhini Ghat - Paud - Pune, thrice (rainy season / summer and winter).

You are right about the brilliant colours - however the colours are best just before the onset of summer. That is when the 'Flame of the Forest' (Palas, as it is called in Marathi, I think) flowers and the whole area is covered with red.... I am not much of a camera enthusiast, so really can't do justice.

Anyway, to conclude this trip - you have to cross a stream to reach the temple. There was an opportunity to do some wading - my Palio came out admirably.

Luckily, the heavy rains were in the later part of the season, else it would have been tricky. As such eagle eyed readers would observe what price I paid!

(PS - The third and the fourth pictures aren't in correct sequence - even though I have uploaded in correct order)
Attached Thumbnails
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-img_5122.jpg  

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-img_5127.jpg  

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-img_5129.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by vrprabhu : 22nd January 2014 at 10:51.
vrprabhu is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 15:47   #729

Beautiful click, especially the sunset picture is brilliant. Which camera do you use and what mode should be chosen on a DSLR for capturing such beautiful moments?
sacadvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 10:11   #730
BHPian

Default Any guesses?

The sunset picture is contribution from Ampere.

Looks like the interest in Maharashtra is yet to pick up...

Can anyone guess where this would have come from?

Instead of our usual contributors jumping the gun, I wouldn't mind if they take the cue and mislead the other readers......
Attached Thumbnails
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-img_5051.jpg  

vrprabhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 11:57   #731
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Any guesses?

Quote:

Looks like the interest in Maharashtra is yet to pick up...

Can anyone guess where this would have come from?

Instead of our usual contributors jumping the gun, I wouldn't mind if they take the cue and mislead the other readers......
Is it from Shivneri ?
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 14:00   #732
BHPian

Default Re: Any guesses?

Quote:
==================
It is Chhatrapati Shivaji's cradle from Fort Shivneri
mahesh_sn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 00:16   #733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I am really waiting for some one to give me a photo log of Paud-Mulshi-Mangaon-Bhor circle. I also feel you guys should explore this in winter. You would see brilliant colors. (Apart from shades of green which you get see in Monsoon)

Something like this. (This is also Kaas)

I did Mumbai-Paud-Mulshi-Tamhini-Paud-NH4-Kapurhol-Bhor-Shivthaghal-Pali-Mumbai route in Aug-2013. Raingods were working overtime and we saw some amazing scenery. Here are some snaps, all taken by my humble cybershot camera.

OT: Can somebody help here. I am just not able to insert images within the text.

1 Popular waterfall in Tamhini ghat
2 Bhatghar dam on the way to Bhor
3 Neera Devghar Dam
4 Random scenery near Bhor
5 Main Waterfall at Shivtharghal
6 Can you trace the origin of the waterfall above
Attached Thumbnails
Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-dsc02679.jpg  

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-dsc02702.jpg  

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-dsc02728.jpg  

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-dsc02731.jpg  

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-dsc_7513.jpg  

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-dsc02782.jpg  

Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!-dsc_7522.jpg  

mahesh_sn is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 11:06   #734
BHPian

Suberb pictures there, mahesh!

Let us see how traffic we attract to this thread, before continuing with the rest of pictures of that spot....
vrprabhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 12:52   #735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahesh_sn View Post
OT: Can somebody help here. I am just not able to insert images within the text.
Upload the pictures first.

Then use the 'manage attachments' button in the reply box (the paper clip button next to the smiley) to position the uploaded image between the text.
vrprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote