Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2011, 19:45   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,715
Thanked: 2,793 Times
Default Re: Kudremukha

Slightly OT but here's what a security guard told us during one of our visits. He was north indian so was very happy to speak to someone in hindi.

He said, the ban was a result of political tussle in which Deve Gowda managed to get the ore banned by declaring Kudremukh as a national park. The "ban" on mining once imposed will be so for 10 years after which the mining corporation can challange it. The entire infrastructure is hence kept intact. In fact, he said every person directly involved with the mining company is still being paid salary!

He also said, there are these channels (pipe-lines) through which they transport the iron ore. They are designed in such a way that the ore put into them at Kudremukh reaches Mangalore in minutes.

All in all, it is a sorry state of affairs.

There is a bridge en route to Kudremukh (about 10km before the gates of the ore) which offers a splendid view of the ore on one side and the dam on the other.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 20:02   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,715
Thanked: 2,793 Times
Default Re: Kudremukha

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
There is one falls in the same region called Kudlu thirtha. That place is awesome. Had trekked 10kms one way with a river crossing and 2 kms uphill. Was a nice place for jeeps too. Any pics anybody??

Had been to hanumangundi too. One guy in our group almost rolled down the hill here if it was not for one teacher named Rajesh who caught hold of him
I have been to Kudlu. The approach road is still only a dirt road with just rocks and mud, around 5kms before the falls.

The trek once you park vehicles is good, provided you don't run into leeches!

I had been there in March so the river was more of a stream. Took the bike through the narrow bridge and splashed it through the stream on the way back.

So, Kudremukh, Hanumangundi and Kudlu falls pics coming soon!

(PS : A few friends who went to Kudlu in the afternoon were intercepted by Naxals. They were let off once they showed their Manipal University ID cards and paying 100 bucks).
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 23:23   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,715
Thanked: 2,793 Times
Default Re: Kudremukha

Here are the pics. Kudremukh first :

Hanumangundi Waterfall (These have been taken in October)
Lakya Dam (This pic has been taken in Sept., during heavy rain)
Attached Thumbnails
Kudremukha-dsc00995.jpg  

Kudremukha-dsc01048.jpg  

Kudremukha-dsc02397.jpg  

Kudremukha-dsc02227.jpg  

Kudremukha-dsc02232.jpg  

Kudremukha-dsc02236.jpg  

Kudremukha-img_1538.jpg  

Kudremukha-img_1535.jpg  

Kudremukha-img_1541.jpg  

Kudremukha-img_1546.jpg  

libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 23:37   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,715
Thanked: 2,793 Times
Default Re: Kudremukha

The next

Lakya Dam (taken in October.. you can notice how shallow it is; there is water only when it rains)
Kudremukh hills

Kudlu Falls (taken in March, hence not in full glory)
Attached Thumbnails
Kudremukha-dsc02347.jpg  

Kudremukha-dsc02391.jpg  

Kudremukha-dsc03309.jpg  

Kudremukha-dsc03316.jpg  

Kudremukha-dsc03310.jpg  

libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 02:07   #35
BHPian
 
himavanth_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hyderabad/Pune/Chennai
Posts: 582
Thanked: 266 Times
Default Re: Kudremukha

Lovely pics.
Is this place a good option to visit now (say next week?). Does this look as beautiful even in winters?
I am planning for a weekend trip sometime next week.
himavanth_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 08:09   #36
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 39
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Kudremukha

Great Pics.

Lakya dam pic: It speaks for itself on the damaged caused.

I plan to reach Kudremukh for sun rise on Friday. Guess Lakya dam will be the best place to watch sun rise. Will post the pictures
kj302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 08:52   #37
BHPian
 
MohsinRoadster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 301
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: Kudremukha

Thanks for sharing the pics libran.
Kudremukh hills are just breath taking and Hanumangundi is beautiful.

Cant wait to trek here..

Last edited by MohsinRoadster : 4th January 2011 at 08:54.
MohsinRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 10:00   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,715
Thanked: 2,793 Times
Default Re: Kudremukha

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
Lovely pics.
Is this place a good option to visit now (say next week?). Does this look as beautiful even in winters?
I am planning for a weekend trip sometime next week.
I would seriously suggest you wait for the monsoons.. The place is beautiful alright but the rains just make it heavenly. The clouds come down, the dam has water, it rains day in day out, the greenery is blissful and air is refreshing!

Right now, it would be sunny and the dam would be just mud. Plus, it isn't that spectacular when it doesn't rain.

It is a good place to visit, save it for the rains!
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 11:53   #39
MX6
Senior - BHPian
 
MX6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: City of seven islands.
Posts: 2,882
Thanked: 210 Times
Default Re: Kudremukha

Libran. Amazing set of photos you got there. You should have put them on a separate thread pal. Brings back old memories of Manipal.

Let's catch up sometime soon. Any plans of going to Manipal or coming this side?
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 14:22   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,715
Thanked: 2,793 Times
Default Re: Kudremukha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Libran. Amazing set of photos you got there. You should have put them on a separate thread pal. Brings back old memories of Manipal.

Let's catch up sometime soon. Any plans of going to Manipal or coming this side?
Thank you sir!

While in Manipal, I have been quite a few road trips but didn't post pictures since all the trips were coupla years old. I will now though!

As a matter of fact, I rang in the new year in Manipal! We could plan a Manipal meet in Feb maybe, before the heat kicks in. I have been itching to drive down to Manipal from Bangalore. Although I am from Pune, family has recently shifted to Gurgaon. But I'll definitely ring you when I'm there. In the meantime, we could plan a meet somewhere down south.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 14:41   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,572
Thanked: 813 Times
Default Re: Kudremukha

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Slightly OT but here's what a security guard told us during one of our visits. He was north indian so was very happy to speak to someone in hindi.

He said, the ban was a result of political tussle in which Deve Gowda managed to get the ore banned by declaring Kudremukh as a national park. The "ban" on mining once imposed will be so for 10 years after which the mining corporation can challange it. The entire infrastructure is hence kept intact. In fact, he said every person directly involved with the mining company is still being paid salary!

He also said, there are these channels (pipe-lines) through which they transport the iron ore. They are designed in such a way that the ore put into them at Kudremukh reaches Mangalore in minutes.

All in all, it is a sorry state of affairs.

There is a bridge en route to Kudremukh (about 10km before the gates of the ore) which offers a splendid view of the ore on one side and the dam on the other.
The mining company is govt owned and hence are govt employees. They need to be paid (whatever their number is now).

I think it was a reserved forest before and was declared a National Park after some studies of some species. The ore is transported to Mangalore through conveyor belts (dont know if they go through pipes).

In our country we come up with conspiracy theories for everything. The guard might have succumbed to just that. At one time Deve Gowda owned the Leela Palace hotel too !!

Coming back to the topic, splendid pictures.

Last edited by srishiva : 4th January 2011 at 14:42.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 15:53   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,992
Thanked: 356 Times
Default Re: Kudremukha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Libran. Amazing set of photos you got there. You should have put them on a separate thread pal. Brings back old memories of Manipal.

Let's catch up sometime soon. Any plans of going to Manipal or coming this side?
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Thank you sir!

While in Manipal, I have been quite a few road trips but didn't post pictures since all the trips were coupla years old. I will now though!

As a matter of fact, I rang in the new year in Manipal! We could plan a Manipal meet in Feb maybe, before the heat kicks in. I have been itching to drive down to Manipal from Bangalore. Although I am from Pune, family has recently shifted to Gurgaon. But I'll definitely ring you when I'm there. In the meantime, we could plan a meet somewhere down south.
I was in Manipal in May and that place has sure changed a lot.

And Kudremukh is as green as it was in 2001. I guess one trip might be required soon.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 16:34   #43
MX6
Senior - BHPian
 
MX6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: City of seven islands.
Posts: 2,882
Thanked: 210 Times
Default Re: Kudremukha

@MC and Libran.

Guess this calls for an MIT meet. I'm also planning a drive down to Manipal, because the roads are in the best condition ever. NH4/ NH63/ NH17 combo looks very promising as I drove that last dec 25th. It was a breeze. I'm thinking of a quick trip for old time sake!
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 16:40   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,715
Thanked: 2,793 Times
Default Re: Kudremukha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
@MC and Libran.

Guess this calls for an MIT meet. I'm also planning a drive down to Manipal, because the roads are in the best condition ever. NH4/ NH63/ NH17 combo looks very promising as I drove that last dec 25th. It was a breeze. I'm thinking of a quick trip for old time sake!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I was in Manipal in May and that place has sure changed a lot.

And Kudremukh is as green as it was in 2001. I guess one trip might be required soon.
Funtaastic idea! A drive-through Kudremukh, Malpe, Maravanthe, Railway bridge.... the list goes on, would be just great!
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2017, 19:10   #45
BHPian
 
Romins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: On the Road
Posts: 43
Thanked: 64 Times
Default Re: Kudremukha

Had been to Kalasa last weekend. There is a new resort near Samse, 4km 4WD road to this resort starts from Balagal. Location is serene and nothing other than greenery in the near vicinity. You can park your vehicle and their Getaway or Camper will pick you up. More details - Shola Heights
Romins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks