Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 11th November 2009, 16:17   #31
BHPian

Heard that there are lots of deaths due to heavy rains in ooty. One of the nurses working in my aunts hospital lost her brother and his family. I heard that 9 members from his family were wiped out due to a land slide. This is by far one of the worst tragedies to strike nilgiris with so many casualities. Some reports suggest there were more than 40 deaths in the last 3-4 days.

Beejay do you recall the slide that happened in the mettupalayam higway below tantea estate that took out a small village sometime during 92-93. one of the tourist buses that had rolled down to the valley below and all that was left of it was just a bundle of steel and aluminium. Still gives me the jitters when i think about the day.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 17:12   #32
BHPian

Chennai, Nov 11: The death toll in rain-related incidents under the influence of the North East monsoon rose to 77 in Tamil Nadu, with reports of seven more deaths.

Three deaths were reported overnight in Nilgiris, taking the death toll in that district to 40, police said here today. One death each was reported from Villupuram, Tirupur, Erode and Cuddalore, they added.

Most of the 77 deaths over the past two weeks were due to wall and roof collapses, electrocution and landslides. Many roads, bridges and houses were also damaged in several parts of the state, police said.

Meteorological department officials have said there is a likelihood of light to moderate to rather heavy rain at a few places over all districts of Tamil Nadu and Puducherry in the next 48 hours. Chennai would be generally cloudy with a few spells of rain or thundershowers in some areas.
wmanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 19:46   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

@beejay, how is the situation now in ooty.
Hope the rains have stopped and the rescue workers are able to make progress.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 20:39   #34
BHPian

The newspapers of today (13-Nov) advise against any trips to the hills. So better not venture in the Nilgiris as of now.
samish_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2009, 10:52   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
Heard that there are lots of deaths due to heavy rains in ooty. One of the nurses working in my aunts hospital lost her brother and his family. I heard that 9 members from his family were wiped out due to a land slide. This is by far one of the worst tragedies to strike nilgiris with so many casualities. Some reports suggest there were more than 40 deaths in the last 3-4 days.

Beejay do you recall the slide that happened in the mettupalayam higway below tantea estate that took out a small village sometime during 92-93. one of the tourist buses that had rolled down to the valley below and all that was left of it was just a bundle of steel and aluminium. Still gives me the jitters when i think about the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmanu View Post
Chennai, Nov 11: The death toll in rain-related incidents under the influence of the North East monsoon rose to 77 in Tamil Nadu, with reports of seven more deaths.

Three deaths were reported overnight in Nilgiris, taking the death toll in that district to 40, police said here today. One death each was reported from Villupuram, Tirupur, Erode and Cuddalore, they added.

Most of the 77 deaths over the past two weeks were due to wall and roof collapses, electrocution and landslides. Many roads, bridges and houses were also damaged in several parts of the state, police said.

Meteorological department officials have said there is a likelihood of light to moderate to rather heavy rain at a few places over all districts of Tamil Nadu and Puducherry in the next 48 hours. Chennai would be generally cloudy with a few spells of rain or thundershowers in some areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
@beejay, how is the situation now in ooty.
Hope the rains have stopped and the rescue workers are able to make progress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post
The newspapers of today (13-Nov) advise against any trips to the hills. So better not venture in the Nilgiris as of now.
I think you guys might want to look at this,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-nilgiris.html
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 09:51   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
I think you guys might want to look at this,
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-nilgiris.html
Thanks for sharing this with us, beejay.
wmanu is offline   Reply With Quote