Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 12th November 2009, 09:06   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Wrap up and the final picture

I guess the pictures tell the story of the ten days better than I could in words, but what they do not talk to is the quiet warmth and hospitality of people in the Konkan, in places where this has not been exploited and turned around by the tourist influx of the kind that Goa has experienced. Memories that will remain are of this warmth, and the slower and more relaxed approach to life, in the most glorious of settings, with greens in every imaginable hue and shade all around. And when the sunlight hits the tops of the palms in the distance is when one sees them as written about in countless places over the ages – Golden Palms.
Malvan itself is a quaint little town, but the difference between it and many others I have seen in India is just how clean it is for the most part. Crowded, narrow lanes planned in an older age, and many buildings look old. But there isn’t the usual filth one sees far too often in our country given our lack of any sense of community or obligation to society.
Goa of course was just the way it has been for the last few years. Originally, I had intended for this to be just a Konkan trip, heading first to Malvan, and then meandering back up the coast. Then I realized that it would be very hard to resist the lure of Goa close by, so I added it to the itinerary. Now, I see that Goa is something I can live without, at least the Baga/Calangute kind. It has gotten to be way too unreal for my tastes. Wildernest of course, is different, and not really Goa in the sense commonly understood. I am pretty sure that the next time around, the siren song of Goa will not be that loud, and I will be happy doing what I planned to do – visiting the unspoilt beaches and villages in the Konkan in Maharashtra. More value for money, and to my mind, the money goes into more deserving and needier hands as well.
Dapoli and Harnai beckon!
A fitting last image, I reckon…..
Back from a ten day break in konkan/goa in the Gypsy-img_0105_1.jpg
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 10:01   #47
Senior - BHPian

Sawyer,
Great write up and great pictures. I followed your post from the very begining and I have enjoyed it. Thanks for that. Regards
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 12:38   #48
BHPian

Default Great writeup

Great writeup. Enjoyed reading it.

I am heading to Goa on 20th December for 4 days and enroute to Pune, planning to go to Chiplun at to stay at Country Inn. Any idea how is it?

I am thinking of changing my plan to accomodate Wildernest instead of Chiplun after reading your report.
PankajP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 12:55   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PankajP View Post
Great writeup. Enjoyed reading it.

I am heading to Goa on 20th December for 4 days and enroute to Pune, planning to go to Chiplun at to stay at Country Inn. Any idea how is it?

I am thinking of changing my plan to accomodate Wildernest instead of Chiplun after reading your report.
I haven't stayed at the Chiplun resort, I assume you refer to the one that was owned by the Taj earlier. From all accounts it is a nice place with some good river views, but the best use of it is as a stopover enroute to/from Goa, if one needs a break. Choosing Wildernest would be a no brainer, provided you can negotiate the road from there to Belgaum on the way back to Pune. Given the time of year you intend to go there, I suggest you decide early and do the bookings. It would be the icing on the holiday cake for sure!
Old 12th November 2009, 13:13   #50
Senior - BHPian

sawyer,

great travelogue and picture feast. As you were nerrating, we were there with you in Goa. How did the gypsy perform all through the journey. Did you take it on sand or on rocks?
dwaraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 14:54   #51
BHPian

Excellent pics!
nice narration. and yes i truely agree to your thoughts on the camera.
I was in goa last weekend and returned just yesterday. yup! you escaped the rains but me was not so lucky!
anyways we enjoyed goa as it was presented to us.
cheers!
schitre05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 16:51   #52
Senior - BHPian

How was the ride? Was it upgraded to CFL's or did you toss a bag at the back.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 23:17   #53
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful travelogue! I will trouble you one of these days for the phone #'s of the home stays mentioned in your narration.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 07:10   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
How did the gypsy perform all through the journey. Did you take it on sand or on rocks?
I was tempted to take it on to Chivla, but it seemed a very anti social thing to do, given how unspoilt the beach was. No off roading, just some very bad roads that the Gypsy sailed through at our expense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
How was the ride? Was it upgraded to CFL's or did you toss a bag at the back.
Neither, I am afraid. We had about 20 kilos of luggage at the back, so I am looking forward to an improved ride soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Wonderful travelogue! I will trouble you one of these days for the phone #'s of the home stays mentioned in your narration.

Cheers,
Vikram
Anytime! mygreatstay.com is where they are listed, in case I am not able to respond in time.
Old 13th November 2009, 12:37   #55
BHPian

Lovely pics once again. This is definitely one of the best photologues on Goa. Interesting pics of the fish market/auction.

Enjoyed thoroughly.
Saurabh M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 13:09   #56
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Whoa!!... How did i miss this one?

Malvan is where my mom is from. We have a house and some land there. Not anywhere close to the beach but close to the main market.

All our summer vacations when in school were spend in Malvan. I do go there for Ganesh Chathuthi and its beautiful in the monsoons. The fish available here is truly fresh and tasty.

There are a lot of small restaurants here that serve some amazing sea food.

Solkadi is a part of every meal. One should also try the misal pav available in a small hotel next to the Big Banyan tree in the heart of the city.

I have also stayed over in the fort as we know some folks there.

About Wildernest - I am surprised no one mentioned it before on here. Its one place one should visit.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 14:47   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurabh M View Post
Lovely pics once again. This is definitely one of the best photologues on Goa. Interesting pics of the fish market/auction.

Enjoyed thoroughly.
Thank you. The fact that it has just a handful of pictures of Goa, not counting Wildernest, speaks to the potential and attraction of the rest of the Konkan as a tourist destination. By the way, in Chaitanya in Malvan, I bumped into an acquaintance from Goa who was there with a large family group for the seafood!
@ Spitfire, as you know the pipal is a Malvan landmark and akin to a small city square by itself. Misal pav on the list for the next trip!

Last edited by Sawyer : 13th November 2009 at 14:50.
Old 13th November 2009, 15:38   #58
BHPian

excellent review. very informative. my next trip to goa would be having a lot of different places this time.
contactme27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 17:22   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Whoa!!... How did i miss this one?
About Wildernest - I am surprised no one mentioned it before on here. Its one place one should visit.
Spitfire you were not paying attention I guess. I think now if I do NH17 instead of NH4 I can have a halt at some of the nice homestays on the way to Goa. Yep no reviews on Wildernest even though there have been queries about the route on Team BHP
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 17:49   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
I think now if I do NH17 instead of NH4 I can have a halt at some of the nice homestays on the way to Goa.
Most of the homestays are on the beach fronts and need an hour's drive on an average from NH17 that runs that much inland from the coast. So the stays will amount to less of a stopover and more of a detour on the way to Goa. That said, very worthy detours indeed, if time can be spared for these. Besides, NH 17 is not a fast run as NH 4 can be. As I said, it all depends on the time at hand. And time of the year too, perhaps.