Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 23rd November 2009, 16:59   #16
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Naren, Lovely pictures and captions, thanks for sharing. A little write up of other interesitng things you saw there or things like the sights and sounds, your observations of place, people and country?=====
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009, 19:49   #17
BHPian

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinsid View Post
@naren_gs1 , nice! If possible please post details of restaurants, average cost of food, water etc, travel tips and other info so that prospective visitors can have it as reference!
I shall post as soon as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Excellent! Do you have any pics from within the city like markets, street views etc?
I have few more pictures of 'Church of the Holy Sepulcher', shall upload soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Naren, Lovely pictures and captions, thanks for sharing. A little write up of other interesitng things you saw there or things like the sights and sounds, your observations of place, people and country?=====
I was in Israel for 4-5 days for work, I got a day off and was out for around 8-9 hours. This is obviously not enough to form any opinion, but I still have few observations which I will post soon.
naren_gs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009, 20:31   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinsid View Post
@naren_gs1 , nice! If possible please post details of restaurants, average cost of food, water etc, travel tips and other info so that prospective visitors can have it as reference!
An Israeli Shekel was worth around 12.75 INR. You could buy a water bottle for around 5-10 Shekels; it would be cheaper at the road side grocery stores. Going by the food we got in our office cafeteria; the Mediterranean area seems to be rich in food as well. Outside, a simple falafel (Falafel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) can be as cheap as 15 Shekels in cities. A beach side restaurant would offer you main dishes for around 50+ Shekels. Also went to an Indian restaurant called Tandoori which offered average food for around 50-70 Shekels.

We travelled around in taxi driven by Israeli citizen, and were not checked much while entering back into certain portions of highways. I just think this might not be the case in case driving by one self. However, many reasonably priced tours seemed to be available from Tel Aviv. E.g. we paid out driver a total 1200 Shekels for four of us to a tour of Jerusalem & Dead Sea. Whereas, some hotel brochures quoted the same tour for around 100 shekels pp. And mind you the distances are not much. e.g. Tel Aviv – Jerusalem is around 100 kms, so it might better to rely on public transport or package tours.

Last edited by naren_gs1 : 23rd November 2009 at 20:34.
Old 23rd November 2009, 20:57   #19
BHPian

if only the costs of flying to israel were cheaper..i remember last year checking them and finding them around Rs. 60000/- return, which is too expensive for me for 10 day visit.
manolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009, 21:02   #20
BHPian

Seems to be a amazing place, thanks for sharing the pics Naren really enjoyed.
Bhargava_sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009, 21:28   #21
Team-BHP Support

The whole of the Mediterranean is a wonderful place. One side is what you have already seen. The other side is the French Rivera. In between somewhere is the island of Malta. I had the fortune of visiting some of the places. I have never seen water so blue. (Only competition to this is the place of Dhanushkoti in Rameshwaram)

If you have seen the movie: The count of Monte Cristo, you can identify with the place. Its just amazing.

@Naren Sorry to rob your thread!.

A quick visit to Mediterranean-dsc01311.jpg

A quick visit to Mediterranean-dsc01312.jpg

A quick visit to Mediterranean-dsc01313.jpg

A quick visit to Mediterranean-dsc01314.jpg

A quick visit to Mediterranean-dsc01315.jpg

A quick visit to Mediterranean-dsc01316.jpg

A quick visit to Mediterranean-dsc01324.jpg
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009, 21:36   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@Naren Sorry to rob your thread!.
No sweat, mate.

Mediterranean no doubt seems unexplored area for us. I can imagine it must be offering good weather & sights right from Portugal, Spain, France, Italy Greece, Turkey, Israel, Egypt to morocco. And I am not even mentioning the historical significance.
Old 24th November 2009, 22:10   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Excellent! Do you have any pics from within the city like markets, street views etc?
I am attaching few pictures from the 'Church of the Holy Sepulcher'

Golgotha, beleived to be the place where Jesus Christ was crucified
A quick visit to Mediterranean-img_4839.jpg

The Stone of Anointing, beleived to be the place where Jesus Christ was laid before burial
Name:  IMG_0379.JPG
Views: 336
Size:  242.8 KB

The Edicule, tomb, of the Jesus Christ, main entrance
Name:  IMG_0385.JPG
Views: 334
Size:  199.6 KB

The Edicule, tomb, of the Jesus Christ, from outside
A quick visit to Mediterranean-img_4841.jpg
Attached Images

Last edited by naren_gs1 : 24th November 2009 at 22:12.
Old 24th November 2009, 22:18   #24
BHPian

The last two snaps are of old city.

Second last is a shop, and last on the outside is a narrow street with a groove in the middle (to let water pass?).
Old 25th November 2009, 22:29   #25
BHPian

The car Looks familiar?
A quick visit to Mediterranean-img_4855.jpg

Well, Getz and Swift are probably the most common compact vehicles you can see in ISR. I also saw many Skoda's, an I10, I30(yes, and was told there are 40,50,60 as well). Also saw a Baleno! Not sure if these are all exported from India.
Old 4th January 2010, 15:34   #26
BHPian

Hey Naren any chance you work for amdocs?
sidd25 is offline   Reply With Quote