Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 23rd November 2009, 12:18   #1
BHPian

Default Mumbai-Kolhapur-Belgaun-Kolhapur-Tuljapur-Mumbai

Hello everybody,

Here I am with one more of my travelogue

This was not a leisure trip but more of a necessity. Tuljapur is our kul dev and every married couple do visit their respected kul dev, in my case, after marriage I did not visited tuljapur , and due to parents pressure I had to give in. The dilemma was that I had 3 months old baby. ( My sincere request to all of you guys is never ever travel with a new born baby, and that to, to tuljapur. Why? Read on.

Personal thanks to Ashish Pallod for guiding me throughout this trip.

Mumbai to tuljapur is 464 KM, since we also wanted to visit other temples in our home town, we decided to head towards Kolhapur for our first stop and to visit mahalaxmi temple. ( why Kolhapur was chosen as first destination – well its express way all the way to Kolhapur and roads are good, also wanted to know how the baby feels after 8 hours of drive. If the baby showed any signs of tiredness, then the trip stands cancel, this was my clear message to my parents.

The trip route Mumbai – Kolhapur-Belgaum-Kolhapur-tuljapur-Mumbai, total no of days – 07.
Total KM – 1528, total person – 4 adults and 1 three month baby.
The car – Zen 2003 model.
This trip was decided on Friday 13-nov-09.

Road update – Mumbai to Kolhapur and then to Belgaum and back to Kolhapur – roads were excellent no trouble at all. Kolhapur to tuljapur and tuljapur to Mumbai- roads were non existent.

My three month baby did not gave me any trouble through out the trip and very special care was taken so that he was most comfortable, a special bed was made on the back seat for him to relax and sleep. A special feeding pillow was also taken.

To be continued-
udaydesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009, 12:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaydesai View Post
tuljapur to Mumbai- roads were non existent.
oh no,,

Looking forward to your travel story.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 23rd November 2009 at 13:02.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009, 15:45   #3
BHPian

Quote:
My three month baby did not gave me any trouble through out the trip and very special care was taken so that he was most comfortable, a special bed was made on the back seat for him to relax and sleep. A special feeding pillow was also taken.

To be continued-
Where is the teaser pic ? Good to hear that your kid was no trouble during the trip. So all credit to a very careful papa and a very good driver ? I guess so
ambivalent_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 14:21   #4
BHPian

Started on Sunday 15 nov at 11.00 AM, after all the morning ritual and after the baby’s needs were met. Hit the express way at 1.00 PM after a heavy breakfast at duta near panvel. As the roads was clear, I slowly accelerated but not crossing 100 Km/hr mark. Baby was sleeping peacefully. Reached Kolhapur by 8.00 PM and headed straight to my brother’s place.

Next day we decided to take rest as the baby has to adjust to the new surroundings.
After a day’s rest we headed to Belgaum , we started at 12.30 pm and reached Belgaum by 2.00 pm , visited our family temple ( Malekarni ) and in the evening after a brief halt at a relative’s place we left Belgaum at 7.30 pm, as we were about to exist Belgaum, my driver side power window glass to go up and was stuck on between, had to search for mechanic which set us back by about 1 hour, after temporary work on the window by the mechanic we left Belgaum at 9.00 pm and were back in the Kolhapur by 11.00 pm. Window was still stuck half way and next day had to visit MASS for quick repair.

It was raining heavily in Kolhapur for last 3 days, in fact we did encounter rains at lonavala and pune also. Decided to rest the next day and plan my next destination i.e Tuljapur. In the evening we visited Mahalaxmi temple in Kolhapur and took the blessing.

On 19 nov we headed to tuljapur. After taking instructions from Ashish Pallod.

Now the nightmare started, we left Kolhapur around 9.00 AM and hit the road heading towards sangli, the roads were in total mess and lot and lots of pot holes , could not increase the speed above 60 Km/hr. reached Miraj by 12.00 pm. Hunted for some good hotel for lunch without successes, decided to skip lunch and headed towards sangola which is 90 km from Miraj, the roads was now worst and had to drive at 40 Km/hr. After having harrowing time we somehow manage to reach Sangola by 3.00 pm. From Sangola we headed towards mangalwedha and then towards Solapur, a total about 86 Km of pure very good road. I drove like a mad man managing 100 km/hr, reached Solapur by 5.00 pm. At solapur we stayed at hotel Ashwarya, rooms was OK type but food was pathetic. Decided to rest for one hour and then move towards Tuljapur which is 40 Km from solapur.

I am yet to load pic from my camera to my PC.
To be continued.
Old 30th November 2009, 12:16   #5
BHPian

Sorry for delay in writing, was very busy with the office work. As for pic, well my memory card has develop some problem, has given for recovery of snap.

That evening we did not go to Tuljapur, we rested that day, food at our hotel was not good and had bread and butter with tea that evening and went to sleep.

Next morning got up early and checked out of the hotel and left for Tuljapur at 9.00 Am. Road to tuljapur was very good and maintained speed up to 100 km/hr, reached tuljapur by 10.00 am.

Got in touch with agent and fixed the amount to 1100/- for “Abishek” the agent guided us to the idol and we had a very good darshan, was allowed to touch the idol. My 3 months son was very calm and we could finish our darshan in an hour’s time. There was a lot of rush as it was Friday, but we manage to have a very good darshan.

After the darshan we did some shopping and were back in the car with a sigh of relief. Filled her up at HP pump, called Ashish Pallod for a quick advice on hotel for breakfast and lunch.

We left Tuljapur by 11.30 am, as we descended the small ghat, I notice a road going to right and a board indicating Pune 270 KM. I inquired about the road condition by asking some cars coming on this road; all of them said the roads are good. We decided to take this road. This was my first biggest mistake on this trip and I am still haunted by it even today. Why? Read on.

This road goes via Barsi ( a small village )- Kurduvadi – tembhurni and joins the Solapur –Pune highway. First 30 km was very good I maintain a very good speed, after 30 km the roads were non- existent. At some places the roads were passing through knee deep water, there was a broken down bridge and water flowing over it, I had to put my car in 1st gear and race it till we clear the section all the time with a prayer on my lips. My zen did not disappoint me, each time it over came all the hurdles with flying colors. As the roads were bad speed was reduced to 40 km and that was not helping me at all. Decided to race the car on pot holes with speed above 80 km/hr, this helps to some extent but my cars suspension was taking a beating, The roads were so bad that you can’t even avoid the pot holes, a dirt road would have been better but not these roads, manage to make it to Tembhurni by 2.30 pm. We had a sigh of relief as we saw Solapur- Pune highway.

Did a brief halt for some refreshment, and slowly made our way towards Pune, again we encounter a lot of traffic and yes lots of lots of pot holes. After a mammoth effort we reached outskirt of Pune by 5.00 pm. Stop at hotel sai for a quick snacks and then by 7.00 pm we entered Pune. This was my second mistake, we entered Pune while looking for a bypass to reach expressway. It was rush hour and we did not see the turn, took the help of a traffic police, he directed us to katraj, negotiated the Pune traffic and reached katraj and then to the express way, the time was 9.00 pm, I was driving for 12 hours now. Made it to Lonavala by 10.00 pm had our dinner and reached Mumbai by 12.30. When I parked my car in my building compound, nobody moved for full 2 minutes. We were so tired. Left our baggage in the car itself and went to sleep. Next mornings called our watchman and he brought our baggage home.

In all a 1500 km travel and my car gave me no trouble at all, no break down , no puncture. But my suspension went for a toss. Will send my car for suspension check this weekend.

Lesson leant- If roads are bad then you got to have an SUV, small cars just cannot take the road at all, Only I know how I have driven on a nonexistent roads. My car rattles now even while going over a very small bump.
Old 1st December 2009, 09:41   #6
BHPian

Guys, I have lost all my snaps taken on this trip, My memory card is damage. I would salvage only four snaps. all snaps are taken in Kolhapur, The last snaps is taken from the Tulja bhavani temple at Tuljapur.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai-Kolhapur-Belgaun-Kolhapur-Tuljapur-Mumbai-img_1183.jpg  

Mumbai-Kolhapur-Belgaun-Kolhapur-Tuljapur-Mumbai-img_1184.jpg  

Mumbai-Kolhapur-Belgaun-Kolhapur-Tuljapur-Mumbai-img_1185.jpg  

Mumbai-Kolhapur-Belgaun-Kolhapur-Tuljapur-Mumbai-img_1187.jpg  

Old 1st December 2009, 10:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1]This road goes via Barsi ( a small village )- Kurduvadi – tembhurni and joins the Solapur –Pune highway. First 30 km was very good I maintain a very good speed, after 30 km the roads were non- existent.The roads were so bad that you can’t even avoid the pot holes, a dirt road would have been better but not these roads, manage to make it to Tembhurni by 2.30 pm.
2] slowly made our way towards Pune, again we encounter a lot of traffic and yes lots of lots of pot holes.
3]we entered Pune while looking for a bypass to reach expressway. It was rush hour and we did not see the turn, took the help of a traffic police, he directed us to katraj,
1]It seems that you took tuljapur-vairag-barsi road.
barsi to kurduwadi 37 km road is really in bad shape. you can't avoid potholes.
I think i had already posted about bad condition of roads between barsi and kurduwadi in your route query thread.
look at my post in that thread.
Quote:
mumbai-expressway-pune outskirt-dehuroad katraj byepass-shindewadi tunnel-nh4-ketkawale-left turn-saswad-right turn-jejuri-left turn-baramati-indapur-nh9-20 km bad roads of nh9-tembhurni-left turn-kurduwadi- bad roads of 35 km-barshi-tuljapur.

2] Hows road condition...oops..pothole condition on nh9 between ujani dam to pune? is there any repair done?
3] It seems that you were looking for hadpsar -fursungi-undri-pisoli-katraj bye pass. you should have taken left turn at hadpsar flyover.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 1st December 2009 at 10:09.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 10:35   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
1]It seems that you took tuljapur-vairag-barsi road.
barsi to kurduwadi 37 km road is really in bad shape. you can't avoid potholes.
I think i had already posted about bad condition of roads between barsi and kurduwadi in your route query thread.
look at my post in that thread.

2] Hows road condition...oops..pothole condition on nh9 between ujani dam to pune? is there any repair done?
3] It seems that you were looking for hadpsar -fursungi-undri-pisoli-katraj bye pass. you should have taken left turn at hadpsar flyover.
Hi Ashish,

The road between Ujani dam to Pune is not good, lots of pot holes, repair work is going on.

Yes I should have taken left turn at hadpsar, but missed it completely as a lot of things have changed in Pune. In fact we had one flat in hadpsar and I know my way around hadpsar, but still I missed the left turn. May be next time.
Old 7th December 2009, 22:59   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ashish,

The road between Ujani dam to Pune is not good, lots of pot holes, repair work is going on.

Yes I should have taken left turn at hadpsar, but missed it completely as a lot of things have changed in Pune. In fact we had one flat in hadpsar and I know my way around hadpsar, but still I missed the left turn. May be next time.
Hi,
recently visited Tuljapur from Mumbai.
We took straight route Mumbai-Solapur-Tuljapur.
The road is comparatively good (compared to Tembhurni Phata-Kurduwadi-Barsi-Tuljapur).
At Temple, there was huge crowd as Pujari's tried to put us through shortcut, had really bad time passing through the crowd, some how managed to finish formalities and came out.
Only satisfying thing is we were allowed to enter inner temple (gabhara) and abhishek was done.
Advice -
Go by a big size car - Scorpio/Sumo/Qualis/Safari etc...
Always tie-up in advance with some one who can arrange darshan for you.
Be prepared to spend extra about Rs.500 as Pujari's dont feel shy asking for more money.
We stayed at Hotel Shivneri near the temple - average hotel, stayed in a suite Rs.1300/night - waste of money. There are 2-3 other hotels near bus stand.
From Solapur towards Pune about 5-10 KM, there is Hotel Nisarg where you can have good breakfast.
About 70 KM before Pune, there is Maharaja Dhaba where you can have good lunch. Try Baingan curry.
Hope this helps.
amk_2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 12:08   #10
BHPian

Default Re: Mumbai-Kolhapur-Belgaun-Kolhapur-Tuljapur-Mumbai

Hi guys,

Planned to hit Tuljapur on 13th of this month and will be taking the mumbai solapur route. Any one who has recently done this stretch. All advices readily welcome.
will be staying at the shree ganesh lodge. does it actually take 12 hrs to complete this stretch?
Dicky_GT is offline   Reply With Quote