Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 23rd November 2009, 18:23   #1
Default Trip to Guruvayoor

I think my instincts were fired up after replenishing my senses with the fresh memories and sat down to pen this travelogue..
So here goes -- After a long discussions and pondering over leaves with my manager I managed to plan two days leave (two days week off + 2 days leave).
Original plan :: Bangalore to Guruvayoor

Staying awake quite late night after getting the stuff packed by 14-Nov didn't help the next day waking up by 3 and set to leave by 4AM. A shaky start i guess. The route I decided to finally bank on (bcoz my mom has not visited places beyond bandipur.) Fired up my GT40.. and started by 4. Reset the tripmeter and took the ring road (entering from veerayanpalya). Proceeded straight towards the tumkur road cut right through and reahced magadi road. One terrible incident to happen -- there was absolutely no indicators/pointers/markings on quite a few speedbreakers in kengeri. I happened to run over one at about 40/50kmph. I was almost in tears...
yet painfully I treadded along .. maintainng speeds of 40-60 till I hit mysore road. Then stuck to 80kmph. Reached mysore by 6-15. Continued via nanjangud.
Route that I took ::
Bangalore - Mandya- Mysore- Gundlupet - Gudalur - Nilambur -Pernithalmanna - Pattambi - Kunnamkulam Guruvayoor
Stayed at a Gokulam lodge. Just a 2 minute walk from hotel (~100mts). Reached Guruvayoor at 1:45 pm. Refreshed and visited the temple at about 3:40 pm. Got darshan after 3 hours as the doors open only by about 6 and the crowd was just staggering. This being the sabarimalai season one could expect the numbers to only increase. So after darshan I got the chance to see three elephants swaying to the drum beats for a special pooja.
Next morning I decided to make a visit to the beach (which my mom later realized that it was a cherry to the ice-cream). We got to see the start of the shift in a fishermen’s colony. A long line of boats alongside highlighted the coastline. Only a few boats were motorized. The most surprising thing of all was the absolute calmness of beach. Normally it would be alive with sound of the waves but this one was so calm (The best part of my journey). There is a bridge before kunnamkulam for which I had to pay toll. (Toll = Rs.3).
Next stop trichy. The route I took to trichy ::
Guruvayur - Kunnamkulam-Pattambi - Shornur - Ottapalam - Gopalapuram -- Pollachi -- Dindigul -- Manaparai -- Trichy.
A detour from the original route back to bangalore. I visited my grandparents. Left by 8am from Guruvayoor and reached Trichy by 4pm. Averaging about 60kmph.
Trichy – Musiri – Thottiyam – Namakkal – Salem – Dharmapuri – Krishnagiri – Hosur – Bangalore.

Stats ::
Total distance covered ::
Bangalore to Guruvayoor :: 418 kms.
Guruvayoor to trichy :: 330 kms
Bangalore to trichy :: 347 kms

Total distance covered ~ 1100 kms.
Fuel consumed :: 64 lts.
Let some pics do some justice to the road trip.

Cheers !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Trip to Guruvayoor-enroute.nanjangud.jpg  

Trip to Guruvayoor-10km.bad.stretch.jpg  

Trip to Guruvayoor-10km.agony.halved.jpg  

Trip to Guruvayoor-bad.stretch.part.2.jpg  

Trip to Guruvayoor-horrible.road.condition..jpg  

Trip to Guruvayoor-deer.jpg  

Trip to Guruvayoor-langur.jpg  

Trip to Guruvayoor-nearing.kerala.border.jpg  

Trip to Guruvayoor-wildlife..mudumalai.jpg  

Trip to Guruvayoor-lush.valley.jpg  

Trip to Guruvayoor-just.before.bandipur.jpg  

Trip to Guruvayoor-just.close..border.jpg  

Trip to Guruvayoor-kerala.here.i.come.jpg  

Trip to Guruvayoor-nilgiris.just.around..corner.jpg  

Trip to Guruvayoor-swift.glamour.edition....jpg  

Trip to Guruvayoor-...ocean..jpg  

Trip to Guruvayoor-shift.starts..fishermen.jpg  

Trip to Guruvayoor-towards.pollachi..jpg  

Trip to Guruvayoor-windmill.farms.jpg  

Trip to Guruvayoor-dindigul..trichy.jpg  

lancersfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009, 19:01   #2

Nice pictures, man. This is a really beautiful countryside. Incredible India, truly. Nice of you to share this travelogue and these snaps
Akadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009, 19:14   #3

Wild elephants that close to the poad ? That must be Bandipur.. Please post more pics if you have.
~~h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009, 21:47   #4
Team-BHP Support

Changes in the 'vegetation' of the snaps, clearly say, where they have been taken. Truly as echoed earlier.. Incredible India!!!! Way to Go!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009, 22:26   #5

How was the road conditions between Trichy and Namakkal.Did you get into Namakkal town or did you take bypass from the Karur road side.Nice trip and good photos.
gajadonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 07:01   #6
Default reply

gajadonga :: the road between trichy and namakkal is good except for a stretch of 10 kms where you have to reduce to 50/60kmph due to potholes created by heavy rains for the last month or two. But i did not take the trichy namakkal route during this trip. I touched the manaparai road (normally one would take the manapaarai route to reach madurai from trichy).

~~h :: I did not capture too many pics in bandipur.

Ampere and akadian :: Yep.. Truly. To be more specific [God's own country !!!!] Incredible India.!!!! The visit to the beach was the best of the trip.

Last edited by lancersfx : 24th November 2009 at 07:04. Reason: spell check
lancersfx is offline   Reply With Quote