Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 30th November 2009, 13:46   #16
BHPian

Very well written travelogue with superb pics! Eagerly waiting for you to reach Jaisalmer
canonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 14:34   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
Columbus: Iliked the desert ship and your space ship snaps. Superb comparision. Infact it is tireless to travel in HC. One of the best sedans. Will be waiting for more travelouges from you
Yes it is tireless to travel in HC. I once drove straight from Haldwani in Uttarakhand to Bhopal in 21 hrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonguy View Post
Very well written travelogue with superb pics! Eagerly waiting for you to reach Jaisalmer
Thanks cannonguy. More is coming...
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 15:18   #18
BHPian

Day 3 26th Dec 08
Udaipur

Udaipur .....Venice of east

Udaipur is an absolutely lovely place with its lakes, floating palaces, islands and gardens in the lakes. Only one word comes to my mind everytime i think about Udaipur...Romantic. Take a boat ride in the pichola, watch the sun set on the palaces lined on banks of the lake, from the Jag Mandir island, and be mesmerised by the changing colours of these palaces, watch the city light up from the monsoon palace, have dinner on one of the rooftop restaurants or simply loose yourself in the bylanes of the old city. Rightly called the Venice of east...

The day started with Jagdish temple and then to the city palace. Its a 10-15 minute walk to the Jagdish temple from Rang Niwas hotel. The tickets are on the expensive side...may be more expensive than anything you have paid in India !! Again i was shocked to see vehicles parked inside the palace complex. Days are not far when off white golden hues of the palace are turned into dull brown by vehicle fumes....
If you love your cars curves then don't take it here. The street roads are too narrow often creating traffic jams with every second vehicle trying to Kiss your cars side....in short just walk.

The city palace complex is huge and takes at least 3 hrs to see it. You can chill out with a beer or a coffee at the cafe in the palace comlplex. The art work and mirror work will leave you spellbounded and envy the lifestyles of our erstwhile kings.

Our Hotel : Rang Niwas Palace

The massive gates of City Place

City Palace grounds

Old 30th November 2009, 15:22   #19
BHPian

The pictures are exquisite, Columbus. I keep wondering why the attachment sign does not display next to your thread. Is there some way by which you have managed to embed the pictures in the text?

Udaipur is beautiful any day
Akadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 16:01   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akadian View Post
The pictures are exquisite, Columbus. I keep wondering why the attachment sign does not display next to your thread. Is there some way by which you have managed to embed the pictures in the text?

Udaipur is beautiful any day
Thanks Akadian
The photos are on flickr. I have only embeded the url of the image. I guess thats why its not showing attachment.

Yes Udaipur is beautiful. Here is more of the City Palace

Inside the City Palace

I wonder why they need a fan here ...spoiling such beautiful work..

Colour my world

Green with envy

This is not wall paper ..!!

Old 30th November 2009, 16:36   #21
BHPian

Where the Royals swing

Lake palace

Udaipur city

Cafeteria

City Palace architecture

Old 30th November 2009, 18:11   #22
BHPian

The kitchen

Baithak

Love to have a Balcony like this ..

The famous peacocks

Old 1st December 2009, 10:01   #23
BHPian

Day 3 Udaipur contd..

The city palace complex is huge and takes at least 3 hrs to see it. You can chill out with a beer or a coffee at the cafe in the palace comlplex. The art work and mirror work will leave you spellbounded and envy the lifestyles of our erstwhile kings.
It was 2:00 PM in the afternoon and hunger pangs were pesking us...so off we went to the Vintage car collection and had lunch at the Garden hotel. The 150 Rs. ticket includes a veg thali at the Garden Restaurant. Worth every penny... Don't miss this lunch even if you are not interested in the cars..the food was delicious.
Having eaten upto our neck..we checked out these old beauties lined up there. Some of them were drop dead gorgeous.

Old 1st December 2009, 11:36   #24
BHPian

Day 3 contd...

Jagmandir island

It was nearing 4:30 PM at vintage car collection and it was time for what we had been waiting for a long time. A ride on the lake pichola. There are three options here...1. A Rs.50 small ride on a boat. 2. A 150 Rs. longer ride run by goverment 3. A 325 Rs. ride from the palace docks with a stop over at the Jagmandir island. Yes you have to pay top dollar to set foot on Jagmandir..

We took the third one and were glad we took it. Take the boat which goes at 5:00 PM and you won't regret it. The vistas at that time are a sheer delight for photography buffs. After a round of the lake palace the boat will drop you at the Jagmandir island where you can stay as long as you want and then take any return boat.
Watch the colour of palaces change from golden to pinkish hues and then the lights coming on palaces one by one with sounds of Jal-Tarang being played in Jagmandir. Absolutely magical evening...
BTW a coffee at Jagmandir will set you back by 150 Rs..or may be more..

The palaces lined on the ghats...

As the sun goes down the colour of the City Palace changes from bright yellow to pinkish hues at Sunset. Beautifull sight to see...

And then the lights take on....

Old 1st December 2009, 12:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

Nice going. Good to see some vintage cars also. by the way does your camera give out your name also on the photo or have you embossed it
shishir_bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 13:48   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
Nice going. Good to see some vintage cars also. by the way does your camera give out your name also on the photo or have you embossed it
Thanks shishir.
I have added the copy right symbol and my name later.
Old 2nd December 2009, 12:00   #27
BHPian

Day 3 Udaipur contd.

Jagmandir

We took the 6:45 return boat and headed staright to Bagore ki Haweli for an evening of Rajasthani folk dance and puppet show. The Haweli has a small amphitheatre with quilts laid down for sitting. After a bit of hectic day this was actually what we were looking for. The atmosphere was relaxed and the performances of the artists were truly authentic and captivating. The show is of one hour with a number of Rajasthani folk dances with a puppet show thrown in between. The puppet show was absolutely hilarious. My daughter enjoyed it very much and so did we ..the best i have seen so far...but the showstopper was a dance performance by a lady balancing 10 pitchers on head with her feet on broken glass...amazing stuff..
On return we checked out numerous shops selling miniature paintings and other paintings. Told the women folk to have a gauge of the work and prices and then I'll take you a highly recommended place. The price ranged from few hundred rupees to many thousands of rupees. Did not buy anything and returned to hotel for a great dinner. A perfect end to a beautiful day.

Old 2nd December 2009, 12:25   #28
BHPian

Wonderful pictures and neat narration I must. You have covered the city in detail and all the important locations are photographed i guess. Camera you are using is a good one since each of the snaps have the perfect exposure and clarity.

thanks..
Indian Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 12:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

Outstanding work. Can you please add some description to the pic. If anyone sees it they wioll not know what place it is and what is it called etc etc. Simply they will just look into ti and pass by. Just a suggestion
shishir_bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 19:12   #30
BHPian

Wow lovely travelogue. Rajasthan has always been a dream destination for me, but waiting for funds. Dont want to do especially this holiday on budget, would be fun to live life king size
rrahul_2778 is offline   Reply With Quote