Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 4th December 2009, 09:48   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
Outstanding work. Can you please add some description to the pic. If anyone sees it they wioll not know what place it is and what is it called etc etc. Simply they will just look into ti and pass by. Just a suggestion

Thanks shishir... I have tried to give all the information about the monuments in the travelogue. Will see if i can add further info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrahul_2778 View Post
Wow lovely travelogue. Rajasthan has always been a dream destination for me, but waiting for funds. Dont want to do especially this holiday on budget, would be fun to live life king size
Thanks rahul . OH yes... rooms in the Palaces can go as high as 80K per night.. So its all upto you..how much you want to splurge..
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 11:59   #32
BHPian

Day 4 27th Dec 08

Ranakpur ...Udaipur...shilpgram

After a late breakfast we started off to Ranakpur Jain temples. With a couple of wrong turns it took a while to find the road to Ranakpur. Finally we were on the East-West corridor to Mt. ABU. This section is half complete with major construction work going on at many places. Lot of diversions on mud tracks which meant slow driving through clouds of dust. But whatever section was built was sheer delight to drive with the road winding through the Aravali mountains. A small sign board pointing right, off the main highway for Ranakpur is easy to miss when you are doing 120 kmph. Thankfully we didn't . Keep your eyes wide open for that sign board.

After you turn right from the main highway an excellent road with beautiful senery leads you to Ranakpur. The initail route is dotted with yellow sarson feilds followed by a pretty steep ghat section. Be very careful at the Ghat section as most of the drivers are used to 100 kmph in plains and suddenly you have this steep ghat. Some fools were still in 100 kmph mode ....

The most memorable moments in a road trip come when you least expect them. The initial route, after the right turn from the main highway, is dotted with yellow sarson feilds. And we could'nt stop ourselves from venturing into them and have our own a la Rang de Basanti....

The irrigation system for the fields

If Dilwara scores on the intricacy of the carvings then Ranakpur scores on massivity of them. The main temple supported on 1444 pillars is huge and well preserved. Its the size of the temples which leaves you awed. I am an engineer and i can't help marvel at the fact that all this was built without the use of super computers and construction machinery. Truly speaks volumes of scinetific knowledge available at that time.
The whole atmosphere was quite relaxing and for a change there were'nt hordes of tourist taking their customory snaps. Though they were tourists but still a lot less. We spent about 3 hrs there. There is langar (lunch) available at temple complex but it finishes by 1:00 PM. So either you plan for reaching there by 12:00, have lunch at temple complex and then explore the place or be ready to shell out 250 Rs. per person at the roadside dhabas serving basic food. We were aware of this and therefore had our lunch packed from our hotel in Udaipur. The parathas we packed from the hotel tasted great....

The main Temple at Ranakpur

Last edited by columbus : 4th December 2009 at 12:13.
Old 4th December 2009, 23:09   #33
BHPian

Outstanding pics! Like I said earlier, waiting for you to get to Jaisalmer.
canonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 10:46   #34
BHPian

Ranakpur Main Temple Inside

An engineering marvel..!!

How about a ceiling like this...

Day 4 Contd...

Shilpgram Udaipur

We started back from Ranakpur to Udaipur for an evening at the much hyped Shilpgram. Enroute we passed Sukahdia circle which is just a big lighted fountain. After asking for directions infinite number of times for Shilpgram we were finaly there. One thing i like to mention here is that people of Udaipur are very hospitable. Some even stopped when they saw an MP number plate car meandering no where and asked us where we wanted to go...

Shiplgram Utsav 2008 was being organised during our stay in Udaipur and it seemed that whole of Udaipur was there. However it turned out to be one big dissappointment. With thousands of people on a kachha area dust was every where. We were breathing pure rajasthan dust....

There were cultural dance and other performances organised. The performances were OK with the best being from an African group. One of the guy in the group was breaking coconuts with his head like heading a football...

Most of the stuff available in the shops is available in any of the fairs held in any major city of India. At least i can say about Bhopal where i had seen these clothes/handicrafts umpteen number of times. And atleast i could yawn freely in Bhopal without the fear of gulping mouthfull of dust. Yawning is what most of the men do when their women shop in these fairs...

The dust did not deter our women from taking a look at every shop and from here on the shopping binge started. Till now the days were action packed so they did not had time to think about it...but now slowly purse strings were getting loose. Both me and my brother were dreading this moment...... We decided to let the ladies let go and check out the food zone. Usual four state stuff...Rajasthani, Gujrati, Punjabi and Bengali food outlets. The official closing time of the fair was 9:30 but it remained opened well upto 11 in the night. It was getting late and chilly in night but our ladies insatiable hunger for the items in the shops had already subsided their hunger pangs. When reminded...they said OH we forgot.

For a change tried Makke ki roti and sarson ka sag which was just OK ..nothing special...
Now it was time to find the way back to the hotel. After half an hour of meandering on empty roads at 11:30 in night GOD sent a kindly couple in a maruti swift. They were going in our direction and were kind enough to make detour for us and led us all the way to our hotel. Bless you..!!
Old 5th December 2009, 11:57   #35
BHPian

Day 5 28th Dec

Udaipur

Hotel Rang Niwas is a delightful place to stay. The property is heritage, atmosphere is relaxed, staff is great and above all the food is excellent. Whatever we had there from breakfast to Dinner was delicious. So after a hearty breakfast we decided to branch out. Me and family going for Gulab Bagh and boat ride in Fateh-Sagar lake while brother and his wife for buying paintings. Told them that Sreenath Art Gallery (contact Mr. Vinay Gurani 9928087290 ) near City palace was recommended by someone on another forum and they decided to check it out.

Again it took countless directions for me to find Fateh Sagar. I am horrible in directions . Fateh Sagar has a small island in the lake with a beautiful garden. The boat drops you at the island and then you can come back by any return boat.
The lawns are well maintained and my daughter had a good time running here and there. The usual touristy place with couples getting themselves photographed in traditional Rajasthani Dress. We tried to persuade our daughter to get herself photgraphed in one of these dresses. But she was smart enough to lay down a condition that you also get dressed. Now I swear to GOD that i have never done this before not even at the time of my honeymoon. Could'nt fathom the idea of slipping in one of those dress and always brushed aside umpteen no. of times we were approached.
On a second thought wife said Lets do it...... Told the photagrapher...you only have five minutes to dress us up and snap. A second more and no payment...
The photos were delivered in night at our room and all of us were on laugh riot... Who ever in the family sees the photo starts a laugh riot. Even my daughter takes a pinch at me....... never again...!!

While we were at Fateh-Sagar phone call came .." Brother come over at Srinath ...we have selected something for you also..." I said ...NO Noooooo...
As one comes from Jagdish Temple Srinath Art Gallery is on your left side just before the City Palace gates. The paintings were good ...much better interms of variety and quality of work than what we saw earlier. And on reference net forums the prices also became very good. We ended up buying some good amount of paintings from there.
One of the miniature painting he showed was worth 8K and you need a magnifying lens to see the minute details...too good...but beyond our budget. We decided to buy more no. rather than finish of in one painting itself. But still can't forget that work....

So with empty wallets we had our very late lunch at Natraj which was excellent. There are two Natraj hotels. Ask for the newer one ...

The mornings at Rang Niwas hotel. My daughter doing her home work. I wonder when these kids will get a break..

The Garden in Fateh Sagar lake

Sajjangarh

From Natraj we moved on to Sajjan Garh or monsoon palace. Car Parking is a problem there during peak season time. Only option is to park on incline and hope nobody rams it down.
Sajjangarh is perched on top of a hill and is a beautiful place. Offers panoramic views of Udaipur with all its lakes and palaces. Be there at Sunset and watch the palaces glow in setting sun. But the best part comes after the sun sets. Wait and have a cup of steaming coffee at the lawns and let the hordes of tourist go . You will then be rewarded with some of the most beautiful light show you have ever seen. As darkness sets in, one by one the lights start coming on the palaces and the city. With everything lighted up the view is now breath taking.....

Fateh Sagar lake from Sajjangarh

The sunlit palaces from Sajjangarh

Having a ball

vantage point

As the sun goes down the lights start coming up one by one

Old 6th December 2009, 17:00   #36
BHPian

Hey Ravi, one full day and no further postings? You have fantastic travelogue going here. Pls keep it rolling!
Old 7th December 2009, 19:02   #37
BHPian

Hi Ravi,

Awesome travelogue indeed..Cant wait for more.
sami316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 10:03   #38
BHPian

Ravi, what's up man? 5 days since the last post on this beautiful travelogue. I'm planning a trip to Rajasthan (Jaisalmer and Bikaner) in the winter of '10. Your travelogue has been very informative so far. Really waiting for you to post pics of Jaisalmer and Bikaner. Pls do continue asap.