Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 4th December 2009, 14:34   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
kiku007, thanks for logging on to this thread, any remote connection with the place,there must be?
Yes indeed. It's my paternal grandfather's hometown. But we don't have any relatives there:(

As I said earlier we just visit the Amman temple near the seashore (A 5 min walk from the Resort)

This place is situated in the belt of famous temples and beaches
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 15:11   #47
BHPian

Yeah sure, the next visit would be with the camera so you can expect something better and more!
Majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 15:14   #48
BHPian

Kiku, my father in law used to say that there was a temple near the shore,much bigger than what is currently seen but the waves have now covered it. My wife also informed me that during her grandparents time to reach the beach it was almost 1km now the sea has come in more!
Old 4th December 2009, 15:27   #49
Senior - BHPian

So guys snext time when you people go there take some snaps of the fort also. This will be a good sight as this is the only dutch fortress in India and is a special one then
shishir_bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 16:03   #50
BHPian

Shishir, actually from what i have heard this is the only one from that period that is existing in this world!
Old 4th December 2009, 16:09   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
Shishir, actually from what i have heard this is the only one from that period that is existing in this world!
Then you owe the forum pic of the fort next time when you go there(don't know by that time what will happen). Man this is a huge moument iof it the last standing one. I feel Indian govt will not take care of this rather Ducth govt have to do something.
Old 4th December 2009, 16:58   #52
BHPian

The Ducth government is working there, you would be surprised there are a lot activites going on there with Danes funding, the place is very very clean for an Indian Village, on enquiry it was informed that a Danish trust funds the project of keeping the place clean. there are also other historic places, the first printing press in India ( i think), the place where the first tamil bible was printed. The cemetry has more Danish graves, with very intricate carvings etc.
Old 4th December 2009, 17:20   #53
Senior - BHPian

superb details dude. So this calls for another journay to that place and some pic right??
Old 4th December 2009, 17:47   #54
BHPian

Good Pics Majic; hope you carry your camera next time for some better pics
Hurrycane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 17:48   #55
BHPian

Yes i would advice so. Can i invite you to my other thread, trip to thekkadi, theni and madurai. I think that would also make an interesting read!
Old 5th December 2009, 09:16   #56
BHPian

Nice pics, wish you had posted this last week before my trip to Pondy. I would have tried to make it to this place. Actually I did google on Tranquebar or Tarangambadi which is its local name when I was researching my Pondy plans, but not much info on the net and the pics I saw didnt interest me much. But your pics did the trick, so next time I am driving that direction, will surely take a small detour to Tranquebar . Thanks for sharing these.
rrahul_2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 09:50   #57
BHPian

Hurrycane 12 -thanks for logging on to this thread, sure willl carry a camera the next time.
Rahul, thanks i think the beauty of the plce cannot be justified by the photos, you need to be down to the place literally. However a word of advice is please carry some food and water, if you are planning to stay longer. though there are shops it is almost 1 km from the beach!
Old 5th December 2009, 19:23   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice place. MY next visit to pondy, I'll try to club this too
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2009, 00:47   #59
BHPian

@laluks - Try to go for a complete tour of nagpattinam and its surrounding areas. You will see amazing paddy fields and nice beaches. If you are relegious, you have wonderful temple and churches that you can visit.

@Majic - Wish I could make another trip to Nagapatinam and Karaikal. I missed my parents shashtiaptha poorthi-celebration at Thrukadaiyur last year. It would have ben a wonderful trip. I did make a trip during that time to Miami beaches though
ElantraGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2009, 07:52   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
@laluks - Try to go for a complete tour of nagpattinam and its surrounding areas. You will see amazing paddy fields and nice beaches. If you are relegious, you have wonderful temple and churches that you can visit.
Thanks ElantraGT for that information.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote