Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 2nd December 2009, 21:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

Amazing pics, hotstuff ! And of course, beautiful location for trekking...those views from the top are simply superb. Please do give details of the photo-equipment used.

This thread definitely deserves a 5* rating.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 2nd December 2009 at 21:03.
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 11:22   #17
Smile Thanks !

Blue Thunder

Thanks a lot for your comments.

Originally Posted by amip View Post
...How much time did the final trek to the peak take? What's the altitude of the peak?
Mukurthi peak is 8,379ft high & is the fourth highest peak in the Nilgiri range. From the fishing hut, it is ideally a 3 to 4 hour trek to the top and 3 to 4 hours to return. (Depending on the fitness levels of the group.) We took around 4 hours to reach the top.

Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post
...One part of the path seems filled with slush - how did you manage to cross that - I see one person on the border.
Initially everyone walked around avoiding the slush & waterlogged areas, but invariably we did get wet and dirty somewhere... from then onwards just walk straight ahead. You can get wet only once :-)

Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
...I just completed the Parambikulam Tramway trek last weekend, the same day you went to Mukurthy. It was finally off my list after postponing it a few times. Thanks a lot to you & your travelogue for introducing me that place. I loved every moment of it...
Looking forward to your experience and pics. I am sure you must have had a great experience. Compared to most other trails, I would rate Parambikulam as one of the best! And now is probably the best time to be there... please do put up your travelogue asap.

Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
...Please do give details of the photo-equipment used.
Nothing much... I used a Panasonic FZ28 with a UV filter attached. (Not sure if the 100 rupee filter is filtering anything :-). It also causes lens flare / reflection at times... but I leave it on more to protect the lens than aything else.)

Since the 'Frequently Asked Question' is around the permissions. The reality is that unlike Kerala (Where most permits are being handled more efficiently by 'Eco Development Councils'), permits in TN / KA are still to be procured through the forest department.

In our case, I understand that the person who procured the permits persistently followed up with the forest department officials for almost a month!. He was also trying to get permission for a trek into the inner areas of Silent Valley national park, but no luck so far. I guess it depends on the moods of the forest officials...

The easiest way is to get someone locally in Ooty to follow-up for the permits / or you keep perstering the forest department officials till you get the papers.

Also, since permits may be given to a limited number of people at any time, try to avoid long weekends etc. when there can be two or three groups trying for the same accomodation facilities (i.e. the fishing hut.)

Check out the links below for the contact details & the trekking options available.

Tamil Nadu Forest Department

Mukurthi National Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mukurthi National Park
hotstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 13:10   #18

Thanks for the contact details and trek options.
rk_sans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 16:14   #19

Sanjay, nice one again...
Don't know whether have the fitness to do these myself though :(
arindamray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 12:41   #20
Senior - BHPian
Default Re: 'Xing'ing around ! - A weekend trek to Mukurthi Peak near Ooty...

Hotstuff, I really don't know how I missed this trekkalog. It's amazing stuff and this is what the western ghats are supposed to be. So serene and beautiful. I would like to go only till the Mukurthi Lake and spend a whole day there. Only if wishes were horses. Thanks again for sharing such amazing stuff.
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 02:01   #21

Brillaint pics. Unlike other Ooty threads this one is really different. The hills are magnificent.
MohsinRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 09:14   #22

Hotstuff - Nice pictures and narration. Really enjoyed going through the travelogue. Also, you can get permits for Silent Valley trek from Kerala side. They will assign a guide with you too.
Nutty Nair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 12:45   #23

Great pictures and write-up hotstuff! Looking at these beautiful pictures of mountains and grasslands, I felt it was not India but some other country!

Itching to go for a vacation to the hills and looking at these pics of mountains which are very different from the others I've seen so far, the itch is getting more severe and severe!!
SuperSlick is offline   Reply With Quote