Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 10th December 2009, 23:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Journey To Dindigul, Madurai And Rameswaram

It was a fine morning Myself and two of my students started our journey at 4 am in Ritz with the ODO reading 7171. The drive was smooth on the High way number NH 45.Till Chingleput by pass, it was a non stop drive. First stop was the Toll gate where we had to pay Rs 20. We gave 100 and unfortunately they did not have change and same with us. Finally he has given a free way.

From there our car was like a splash in a speed of 100kms. We were over taking many vehicles and two incidents when we were over taking we found the trucks moving with out back lights and the ABS break system helped us to break with out a skid.It was worth giving 19K plus additional for that. One such incident near Madurantakam and the second near Tindivanam. Finally we reached Villupuram at 5.47 am. If I am not mistaken we stopped in front of Aarti Restaurent in front of bus stand. Wanted to have some light break fast but they told that we would get only coffee till 6.30 and nothing else.First part around 155kms went very smoothly.

The cruise started at6.05 from Villupuram. Smooth ride was continuing. The one new thing we noticed near Villupuram service road and the Uludurpet service road is that the speed control blockades. That is a good thing to alert the people about the service road intersection. Just before us a Bolero was cruising at the speed of 100 and 110. We took it as our pilot and followed that till Tiruchy. Just before Srirangam Diversion onward the roadwork and the bridge work was incomplete. Our sail was also slow. Finally we reached Trichy at 8.10. We are rolling towards Sri Sangeetha Restaurent but before that the another Sangeetha resaturent Security gave warm welcome and arranged for parking.

We too parked and entered in and found we were fooling ourselves. Just for the sake we took 2 cups of Coffe and left to the other sangeetha. had a wash and had the delicious breakfast. It was Pongal Vadai and a Dosa. Then took the NH 45 to Dindigul. The road to Madurai via Viralimalai is NH45B. We filled the Fuel in Trichy at km reading 7486.The previous fill was at 6890 in between the run was 596. Out of that the High way run was 315kms and the rest 281 km was city run with ac. Combined mileage was 19km.It went again to Dindigul.We had been to Muthanampatti to visit one of our students in PSNA College.Ther was a temple near Viayampatti in between Manaparai and Dindigul. We tried to read the name of the temple but the board was old and some letters were missing.Any how we have snapped a picture of the standing deities.
Attached Images

navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 00:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

The time was not noted while writing. So the thread was broken after 20mts. Let me continue in the quote again. To refresh I will up load the Madurai Mariamman Teppakulam photo in advance and the story will come followed by that later may be tomorrow if time permits
Attached Images

Old 11th December 2009, 00:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Part II

We came back from Muthanampatti and stayed in our friends room. We had our vegetarian dinner with Mushroom sizzler and Naan in Balaji Bavan near Bus station. Really it was a surprise to have such a delicious dinner in such a small town to add the surprise the bill for 4 people with 2 Naan 1 Mushroom Sizzler,2 Fried rice, Dosa and Panner butter masala and 2 coffes Rs 176. As we left one passenger in her sister's place we two started to Madurai The odo reading was 7612. When we reached Madurai it was 7678. We wanted to wash the car in ABT and left the car at 8.00 and to our horror after some howling to Wm they just washed the car and returned at 11.00. The job was a hopeless one, the seats were not cleaned mats were misplaced. From there we went to our village around42kms away from there and stayed at Tirumangalam. In Madurai we visited Tirumalai Nayakkar Mahal and the Meenakshi temple before leaving to our village.The Pictures of Mahal and the Mennakshi temple follows in next post.
Old 11th December 2009, 00:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Scenes of Madurai which are labelled in the photos by the author
Attached Thumbnails
Journey To Dindigul, Madurai And Rameswaram-pillars-copy.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 11th December 2009, 01:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

PART III

We had the lunch in Mandapam restaurant and moved to Mariamman teppakulam. When we reached to the Mariamman tank my memories went back to my college days in late 60s coz on the north bank of the tank stood my college. I had a dharsahan of Mariammal. Then we moved to the Mahal which was built by the Tirumalainaickar. Then we came back to Meenakshi temple. It was 6th december. Heavy seurity was there. We went around due to sabarimala season there was heavy rush of Aiyyappa devotees. We had the Dharshan of Sokkar and missed our Meenakshi. It was about 6pm. We moved to my village which is about 36kms south of MADURAI. On the way after Tirunagar we stopeed in Brinda Snax stall and we saw auto accessaries shop and entered in and found nothing important there but bought the Wheel cap binders. Then went to the village and came back to Tirumangalam and halted at night. When we settled for the night the Odo reading was 7752. Part IV will follow.
Old 11th December 2009, 01:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

part iv

On 7th being in the house of a host we could not plan as per our wish. We took the host also with us to Rameswaram. We started around 9 am. I thought the road will be nice and can reach with in 3 hours. As the road condition from Mana Madurai and some other places were not good,I could not make it as per my plan. When we were much before Ramnad it was 12 Noon. Any how I thought that the temple in Rameswaram might close between 1 to 4, there was no point of Rushing. So turned my direction towards Uthara Kosa mangai. That is a Shiva temple and the Nataraja is made of Maragath one of the 9 precious stones. Every day they do Pooja to the spadiga linga at 12.45 we had the opportunity of that. The Nataraj is covered with sandal paste through out the year. But once in a year on arudra star they do pooja and allow the devotees to see him. This year that day comes on 31st December.

We reached Ramnad at 2Pm and had lunch in Iswarya. Then the journey continued and had break with scenic beauty from the road bridge across the sea in Pamban. Parallel to the road bridge there is a railwat bridge. The center of the bridge can be opened by the levers in case if any ship passes by. I snapped some scenarios from there and posted here. We had the Dharsan and returned in the same way to reach the hosts,and the next day we went to Dindigul back and stayed. On 8th we started from there at 4 am and reached Trichy at 6.40 am. From there the car was racing between 120 and 140 and reached Chennai at 11 Am. In between after Ulundurpet we had break fast and took rest for half an hour due to sleepy feeling. The journey was wonderful and Thank god for giving me the strength and energy to drive all the way.
After Trichy we fueled in Dindigul before starting at odo reading 8232.When we reached Chennai the odo reading was 8688. Again we filled and both the time the Fe was 20.72 and 20.35. The speed was almost 100plus. It is the Ritz VDI.
Old 11th December 2009, 01:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Due to some technical problems I could not merge all the posts together. So our readers are kindly requested to read from the beginning from Part I. I mean bottom to top.
Attached Images

Old 11th December 2009, 09:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hows the road in tiruchy? Is the toll in samayapuram opened? Or still in construction. How about the updates of the thiruchy roads? I remember it was filled with pot holes and traffic till you reach the NH45A-NH45B junction.

How is the dindigul route from Tiruchi? I think the one through virali malai is a breeze and shorter too.

Sorry if I posted many questions
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 10:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Hows the road in tiruchy? Is the toll in samayapuram opened? Or still in construction. How about the updates of the thiruchy roads? I remember it was filled with pot holes and traffic till you reach the NH45A-NH45B junction.

How is the dindigul route from Tiruchi? I think the one through virali malai is a breeze and shorter too.

Sorry if I posted many questions
Hi

Many questions are not a problem. Roads in Trichy are as it was with potholes, traffic and rough till bus stand or 45A -45B junction. Samayapuram Toll is opened but the trial is going on no Charge. May be it will start very soon. NH 45B is having lots of diversions uncountable. Still we have to use the old roads in many places. You were right Viralimalai is smooth but we had some work in Dindigul. December 20th trip will be through Viralimalai.
Old 11th December 2009, 10:22   #10
BHPian

Nice pictures. How is the road condition from Madurai to Rameshwaram? Has it gone bad due to monsoon?
funda2max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 12:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
Nice pictures. How is the road condition from Madurai to Rameshwaram? Has it gone bad due to monsoon?
Hi

The road from Madurai to Manamadurai or near to Manamadurai is fine. Beyond Manamadurai the condition is bad. Beyond Ramanad also not good. Over all it takes an hour more for the cars.
Old 11th December 2009, 12:31   #12
BHPian

Hi Navan,
This is really an expedition. How do you navigate to all these places. Are you familiar with all the roads, or take a map with you or have a GPS?..
funnyguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 12:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelogue navan.

Can you please post the route details from Madurai->Rameshwaram , I will be doing it soon.

Also , would you know what's best route from Rameshwaram->Kanyakumari ?

Thanks.
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 23:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Nice travelogue navan.

Can you please post the route details from Madurai->Rameshwaram , I will be doing it soon.

Also , would you know what's best route from Rameshwaram->Kanyakumari ?

Thanks.
Hi Shankar,
It is my 2nd Century hit in Posting in Team BHP. I wanted to dedicate it to you for the Beautiful identification you gave to my car with those stickers. They are wonderful. Now The route from Madurai to rameswaram is take the Road through the Mariamman Teppakulam say that is the citys end. Take the same road which goes through Tirupuvanam,Manamadurai,Paramakudi,Ramnad and Pamban. Manamadurai better folow a Ramnad bus till the end of town and same in ramnad. There are some confusing junctions in both towns. If you start at 4 or 5 am that will be good. You can visit a couple of temples around Ramnad before 10 am and reach Rameswarm around 11,30 am. Regarding kanyakumari road it is thru Tuticorin, Tiruchendur. It is a single road. I travelled 6kms on that road to Thirukosa mangai temple. It is a horrible road. Please wait I will call mt nephew in Aruppukkottai and ask him the best route with out going to Madurai back.Till then bye.
Old 11th December 2009, 23:37   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guru,

Frankly telling that I did not use any map or GPS. Starting from Tambaram to Villupuram was not a problem. In Trichy I entered into one one way with in a fraction of police eyesight. Not purposefully done but confusion of route. Instead of by pass entered into town. I asked the people the way to junction and went. The next thing NH 45B. After breakfast entered the road and filled fuel and confirmed with them.Dindigul city to Madurai road was not at all a problem.Return early morning 4 am I went almost 2kms in karur road and asked a milkman and he directed. Mnamadurai I asked local people and took the right route. Nothing is going to happen even if we miss the road, because we the totall loss will be of some more time and fuel what else will come. Thanks for the visiting the thread. How about a meet on Sunday.after noon if you are free.