Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 8th January 2010, 17:40   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
That was a great find, the estate bungalow in Valparai. Waiting to hear more.
HVK,
There are quite a few estate bungalows available in valparai, could book online at
Tea Bungalows - Tea Plantation,Tea Tourism, Munnar,Valparai, Meghamalai,Tea,Tea Museum, Farm Tourism, Tea Factory Visit

sijil
sijil.karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010, 11:02   #17
BHPian

Some info on the place where we stayed:

This is the url for their website:
Glendale Stays - Plantation Guest House Holidays. Eco Tours & Eco Trails

I got the contact details from the internet and did the booking over phone. I did pay an advance of Rs 1500 via funds transfer.

I guess they have three bungalows in Waterfall Estates. Indraprastha is the one where we were put up.
Three days in Valparai - Bliss!-img_3864.jpg
Three days in Valparai - Bliss!-img_3852.jpg

There are three bedrooms in Indraprastha as I mentioned earlier. 2500 per night is what I paid.

There are additional charges for food, and the rates vary depending on whether you opt for Veg or non veg.

The place has a lovely ambience, with an old world charm about it. Ideal place to relax.
Three days in Valparai - Bliss!-img_4018.jpg

The food is excellent - I know its subjective, but we enjoyed it . Mostly south Indian, you get rice + roties with two or three varieties of curries and accompaniments. The caretaker asks for our preferences in advance and cooks accordingly. Overall the dining experience was quite good. Homely food and ambience.
Three days in Valparai - Bliss!-img_4020.jpg

The place has a nice living room with a fireplace ( we didnt use it as it wasnt that cold anyway ), and a sit out with chairs laid out. Ideal place to sip your morning coffee.
Three days in Valparai - Bliss!-img_4019.jpg
Three days in Valparai - Bliss!-img_4022.jpg

The kids loved the place.
Three days in Valparai - Bliss!-img_3799.jpg
Three days in Valparai - Bliss!-img_3804.jpg

Overall the accommodation experience was terrific, and I look forward to going there again when I get a chance.
Three days in Valparai - Bliss!-img_3807.jpg

Their contact details:

Waterfall Estate Pvt Ltd.,
Waterfall Estate Post
Via Pollachi, Coimbatore Dist - 642 105
Telefax:04253-236225; 236250

Ask for J.Selvakumar.

Or you can contact Rasha Karambaya ( 9443337022 ) directly - she manages the guest houses.

Last edited by Bigzero : 9th January 2010 at 11:14.
Bigzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010, 22:59   #18
BHPian

Nice travelogue! Really enjoyed reading it. One question, any budget options to stay in the area?
Ranjith
Nutty Nair is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 16:16   #19
BHPian

Fantastic writeup, i was looking for a stay option in valparai & got it here, thx. I was told that this is one of the wettiest places in south India, should be there in monsoons.
udaygk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 11:34   #20
BHPian

Can we have some more progress with the travelogue, i think you would be having more pictures to load, please continue with the good job that you are doing,
Majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 11:39   #21
BHPian

Thanks for those details, truly awesome place, decided to go there.
srikanthpotluri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 11:43   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Valparai is a lovely place. Even I had been there for the year end. Loads of mist almost all through the day. The road is pretty dangerous with poor visibility but still worth the risk
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 14:02   #23
BHPian

Nice Travelogue and the pics make me want to get in the car and drive there right away. Have been upto Monkey Falls and Aliyar Dam and narrowly missed a trip to Valparai. Looking forward to more pics.
KRRaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 14:15   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty Nair View Post
Nice travelogue! Really enjoyed reading it. One question, any budget options to stay in the area?
Ranjith
Hotel Green Hill is the only Hotel in Valparai.Difficult to get should be < 1K.
manavdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 09:59   #25
BHPian

Hi all, thanks for the comments!

I do have more photos, i will post them later in the day - sorry I got a bit busy with work in the last couple of days..
Old 12th January 2010, 16:50   #26
BHPian

cant wait more for the pictures buddy!
srikanthpotluri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 18:07   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manavdotcom View Post
Hotel Green Hill is the only Hotel in Valparai.Difficult to get should be < 1K.
Thanks, buddy.

@Bigzero - Nice, misty pics. Keep them coming boss!
Ranjith
Nutty Nair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 22:17   #28
BHPian

Great photos.. please upload more!
pjay_in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 22:45   #29
BHPian

Default Around Valparai

Though our primary objective was to just chill out and relax at the bungalow, we did manage a bit of driving around.

The road from Waterfall to Valparai is quite interesting to start with - after a few hairpins , the tea estates give way to thick forest, and the drive through it is quite interesting.

Three days in Valparai - Bliss!-img_3890.jpg

Three days in Valparai - Bliss!-img_3893.jpg

Three days in Valparai - Bliss!-img_3905.jpg

You come out of the forest back to more tea estates and do a bit of descending before you reach a small place called Ayyarpadi ( I hope I got it right ). A bit further down you hit a place called Rottikadai where there is a fork. You can go straight to Valparai, and if you take the right there, you can byepass Valparai and hit the Valparai-chalakudi road.

We however did a left turn at the 40th bend which comes before Ayyarpadi.
Three days in Valparai - Bliss!-img_3916.jpg

Some more views on the way:
Three days in Valparai - Bliss!-img_3918.jpg
Three days in Valparai - Bliss!-img_3920.jpg

That road takes you through tea estates to a Balaji temple, which is on top of a small hill ( again surrounded by tea what else! ).You arent allowed to take the car all the way up. Cameras arent permitted either. So you have to walk the way up ( not much though) to reach the temple. We did that, and did a small darshan and came back.

On the way to Balaji temple, we passed this beautiful church.
Three days in Valparai - Bliss!-img_3931.jpg

While coming back from Balaji temple, we realised that there is a shorter route to Valparai that will avoid backtracking all the way to the 40th bend. We did that and hit Valparai through a side road.

Valparai town itself is quite small and somewhat crowded ( sorry I didnt take any photos there ). There are couple of petrol pumps, ATMs, a Hotel or two, a few tea & spice shops etc apart from the general shops you would expect in a typical small town.

We proceeded through another road to Nirar dam. The scenery continued to be breathtaking, and we finally reached a small fork, where we took a right to Lower Nirar dam ( the left one goes to Chinnakkallar via Upper Nirar Weir ).

The road was quite narrow and descended sharply with a number of hairpins, and there we were at Lower Nirar dam.
Three days in Valparai - Bliss!-img_3958.jpg
Three days in Valparai - Bliss!-img_3963.jpg
Three days in Valparai - Bliss!-img_3966.jpg

Last edited by Bigzero : 12th January 2010 at 22:59.
Old 12th January 2010, 23:29   #30
BHPian

I think I posted a wrong photo in the previous post. The pic I posted as Lower Nirar Dam was that of Upper Nirar Weir. Sorry about that! here is the Lower Nirar Dam:
Three days in Valparai - Bliss!-img_3955.jpg

Upper Nirar weir is comparatively much smaller.

This route has a lot of tall trees.
Three days in Valparai - Bliss!-img_3970.jpg
Three days in Valparai - Bliss!-img_3977.jpg
Three days in Valparai - Bliss!-img_3971.jpg

The road further down ( on the left of the sign ) goes to Chinnakallar.
Three days in Valparai - Bliss!-img_3965.jpg

We wanted to go there, but a few meters down the road we hit a fairly large puddle that stretched across the road and appeared quite slushy and long. We didnt want to risk getting stuck there as there was absolutely no way we could bypass that. Maybe next time, I told myself and turned back.

We then called it a day and returned to our bungalow.

The highlight of the trip was when we did a short night drive from the bungalow to buy a few items . There were no good shops near the bungalow and we drove all the way to Rottikkadai ( around 12 kms ) at around 8 pm to buy some eatables to keep the kids silent on our long drive the next day ( we had by then planned to return via Chalakkudy - I was eagerly looking forward to the Valparai-Chalakudy drive! ). We were returning to our bungalow and were in the forest section when a leopard casually walked across the road right in front of our car, quite unmindful of our headlight. We were too surprised to take the camera and click a couple of pics!

(I read in the paper today that a leopard had killed a 4 year old boy near Valparai a couple of days back. Was it the same one? I have no idea! )

Some random pics from the area:
Three days in Valparai - Bliss!-img_3913.jpg
Three days in Valparai - Bliss!-img_3927.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Three days in Valparai - Bliss!-img_3968.jpg