Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 14th January 2010, 15:35   #46
BHPian

Bigzero - What have you done, pal? Me & 5 of my friends are going to Valparai next week (23rd & 24th).
Qn: How many kms/Time taken from Valparai to Chalakudy?

And 5 star ratings from my side.
Nutty Nair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 16:15   #47
BHPian

Fantastic travelogue for a wonderful place. This Diwali holidays when our long pending Munnar visit materialised, in retrospect we found that the trip was literally run through and wished we had not packed too much in the visit and instead chilled out in one of those tea bungalows. I think Valparai suits our taste. Hope to visit the place someday.
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 23:10   #48
BHPian

Thanks folks for the nice words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty Nair View Post
Bigzero - What have you done, pal? Me & 5 of my friends are going to Valparai next week (23rd & 24th).
Qn: How many kms/Time taken from Valparai to Chalakudy?

And 5 star ratings from my side.
Thanks!

Valparai - Ckdy is around 110 km or so - give yourself 4 hours to cover the stretch. I have sent you a PM too.
Bigzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 09:22   #49
BHPian

I realized that this thread has a five star rating now. Big Thanks to all who recommended! Glad to know that you found the thread useful.

A special thanks to my wife who took many of those pictures from a moving car, and still managed to make it come out well!

Last edited by Bigzero : 15th January 2010 at 09:24.
Bigzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 12:27   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post

Thumbs up to my old Santro - its her 5th Hyd-Kerala trip, and she took it all without any complaint. I was pushing her on the highways , and made her negotiate some really terrible roads. After the trip, all that was required was a wash, and she was ready for her usual office trip the next day as if nothing had happened.

Beautiful pics and log. Thanks for sharing !

Valparai reminds me of our college days at coimbatore, and Ooty & Valparai constituted majority of our bike rides !

And the way you have talked about your Santro deeply reminds of mine that I sold few months back ! Indeed you are right, its one car that can perform quite well in both city as well as highway without any concerns. I have pushed her beyond the limits, especially on highways and ghats, and never ever I had faced a single issue.
s3va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 12:28   #51
BHPian

The rating is well justified. I was wondering why? A couple of days back it was just another travelogue to me, but today when i go through this, i find it a well deserved rating. Wonderful ! How are the roads from Valparai to Chalakudy? Please do mention about the time taken? Is is safe to pass through in the evenings?
Majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 13:39   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
The rating is well justified. I was wondering why? A couple of days back it was just another travelogue to me, but today when i go through this, i find it a well deserved rating. Wonderful ! How are the roads from Valparai to Chalakudy? Please do mention about the time taken? Is is safe to pass through in the evenings?
The road from Chalakudy all the way upto Vazchal is fabulous. From Vazhchal to Peringalkuthu Power House the road condition is manageable. Its only from here to Malikapara the road conditions are not so great and requires some careful driving in some stretches.

If you are going with your family I would advice against driving in the evenings as the stretch is known for Elephant movement in the evenings and night. With the narrow road it becomes difficult even for turning around if the situation arises. You would have to budget atleast 4 hours from Chalakudy to Valparai because the scenic beauty the road would show as you pass through the two falls initially and then the forest would mean you stop almost every other curve.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 18:30   #53
BHPian

bigzero thanks for this very good travelogue. i had travelled twice in this route with my friends. i love the vazhachal-malakapara route. i always wanted to take my family with me but never sure it will be safe or not. but after reading the travelogue i am confident and planning one trip. once again thanks for the nice photos and accommodation details.
i.1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 21:53   #54
BHPian

A great travelogue.

I have been to Valparai and have been dreaming of going there again. Thanks for the information. It will definitely be of help.
mithunkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 20:54   #55

Default Valparai

PURELY OUT OF THE WORLD EXPERIENCE, what a write up. Iam ashamed that i have not visited but for my dreamings and plannings for years to Valparai. hats off to you SG PRAKASH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
Hi HVK, to go to Balaji temple you have to turn left at hairpin bend no.40 while coming from Pollachi. this turnout is before Rottikadai.

Yeah, the place surprised me as well. Very few people know about the place to start with. I guess thats a good thing, if you look at the over-exploited hillstations in south India.
You are right and wrong. Many people know about valparai. However you have brought out the real life experience out of it. Hats off to you. Excellent photographs and write ups.Yours is really worth more than a FIVE STAR rating. I think that chalakudy - Valparai route might be one of the ich i would greeneist routes in our motherland which i would like visit time and again. SG PRAKASH
shanmugamprakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 16:15   #56
BHPian

Hi Bigzero.

Enjoyed your well written travelogue with nicely composed photographs of nature. Yes, Valparai truly looks a must see place, less crowded and untouched then Ooty, Kodai and Munnar.

Now my problem is that the beautiful Southern India has got so many places of interest the even if we manage a 1 month driving trip, we'll have to miss many of them. Now, I'd like your opinion that if we have to miss some of the hill stations from these 4 sectors 1. Ooty, Coconoor, Kotagiri; 2. Kodaikonal; 3. Munnar and 4. Valaparai, which one should be left out first? Off course, it is very subjective thing, yet some suggestions pl.

My guess is that including Valpari and Chalukudy is a must, in that case, leaving Munnar seems logical. Shouldn't we leave out Kodai too from iteneary?

We have to make choices whenever our proposed visit materialises, as we want to cover coastal Kerala and TN, alongwith routine Mysore, B'lore too in a 25 days family trip from Lucknow in June in Safari!
LongDrive lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 17:38   #57
Senior - BHPian

Hi folks,

It may not be that important, but the Vazhachal - Malakkappara stretch does not have mobile signals, at least in October 2008 when we went.

The traffic is sparse, so help if needed would be tough to get.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 18:02   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi folks,

It may not be that important, but the Vazhachal - Malakkappara stretch does not have mobile signals, at least in October 2008 when we went.

The traffic is sparse, so help if needed would be tough to get.

Important info given, will certainly help those going there. Thanks Rajesh
LongDrive lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 21:11   #59
BHPian

Nice pic and travelogue. I am planning for this for a long time but could not do...
U can get some more info...
www.valparaionline.com
www.topsliponline.com
arin_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2010, 16:57   #60

Default You Missed Coorg..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Hi Bigzero.

Enjoyed your well written travelogue with nicely composed photographs of nature. Yes, Valparai truly looks a must see place, less crowded and untouched then Ooty, Kodai and Munnar.

Now my problem is that the beautiful Southern India has got so many places of interest the even if we manage a 1 month driving trip, we'll have to miss many of them. Now, I'd like your opinion that if we have to miss some of the hill stations from these 4 sectors 1. Ooty, Coconoor, Kotagiri; 2. Kodaikonal; 3. Munnar and 4. Valaparai, which one should be left out first? Off course, it is very subjective thing, yet some suggestions pl.

My guess is that including Valpari and Chalukudy is a must, in that case, leaving Munnar seems logical. Shouldn't we leave out Kodai too from iteneary?

We have to make choices whenever our proposed visit materialises, as we want to cover coastal Kerala and TN, alongwith routine Mysore, B'lore too in a 25 days family trip from Lucknow in June in Safari!
Hi LongDrive lover,

The list you mentioned won't be complete if you miss the Coorg area of Karnataka. Madikeri, Bhagamandala , Talacauvery and many other attractions are there. I am not sure whether you already have included it in your "routine Mysore, B'lore trips" or not.
Cheeronwheels is offline   Reply With Quote