Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 12th January 2010, 18:35   #16
Team-BHP Support

Well you can upload as many pics you want, but you will need to make 200 posts if you are planning approx 20/post
We want to see as many pics as possible!

@WanderNomad, Yes that jacket often tips the luck. How much? Well the acid test will happen late jan!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 19:32   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
That water stream pic is lovely avi. I think you have made use of the tripod very well.
Tripod was not used for that picture. In fact, tripod was used only for night shots.

I have a few nightshots which have come out reasonably decent. Will share them down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theodore_ftw View Post
Nice...Keep them coming...In case you want to share an entire album in one go i would suggest you use Flickr or Picasa or something similar. That ways you dont need to upload all @ TBHP.
I use Flickr only for the better pictures and I dont like Picassa as pictures open with a motion blur which i despise.

Anyways, will be uploading and continuing the pictures here as my time permits makes it more enjoyable...LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Well you can upload as many pics you want, but you will need to make 200 posts if you are planning approx 20/post
We want to see as many pics as possible!
Well, i have no such plans. I will just upload whichever picture looks average and as i am totally bad with editing tools, they will be with minimum editing ( addition of light, darken, color balance, thats about it)

Btw, can i borrow your jacket when i go to Himachal next?
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 20:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
And, i was slightly shaken up when i saw that the ride will last just 6 minutes and each ticket is priced at Rs.400

Has anyone done that cable ride? Is it worth Rs.400? I would rather spend that money on Paragliding at Solang Valley
i did it almost 2 yrs back as my GF insisted and price was Rs 300 at that time.

When i used to study in CHD it used to cost 60 Rs (2001).

They have a nice resort up the hill where you can go have food/drinks/stay etc and prices are similarly high there too.

only worth in my case as i never had a ride in Cable Car earlier and my GF was happy to blow my cash on such things.
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 20:58   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post

They have a nice resort up the hill where you can go have food/drinks/stay etc and prices are similarly high there too.

only worth in my case as i never had a ride in Cable Car earlier and my GF was happy to blow my cash on such things.
Probably you wouldnt have dared had you known a little about the accidents associated with this particular ropeway.
WanderNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 21:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderNomad View Post
Probably you wouldnt have dared had you known a little about the accidents associated with this particular ropeway.
sir i have gone to Timbertrail at least 15 times during my college days in CHD and later but always stayed away from it just due to the fear of getting struck midway.

But women power is such a thing that renders the menfolk helpless.
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 21:58   #21
BHPian

Nice pictures, keep them coming.
akas_chauhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 22:09   #22
BHPian

Hi Mobile008,

The cable car ride is good for first timers. You can have a cup of coffee on the hilltop during sunset. A nice view of sunset from there. But just to inform you that there was an accident with one of the cable car 13-14 years back. It got struck for more than 8-10 hours in the mid and a helicopter with commandoes was called for the rescue of the passengers. Most of the subcables were broken and it was hanging on just 2-3 subcables with all the passenger's load.

There is one more dhaba at Murthal i.e. Sukhdev (3 kms ahead of Ahuja's) which is better than Ahuja's. Have a taste there next time.

Now please continue as we are waiting for more and more pictures and writeup.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 23:34   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post

That was hilarious. Thank god, it was not my GF but my wife whom i could easily convince saying we didnt have 1.5 hours to wait for us to take that ride.

Btw, i have taken a much better cable car ride during my honeymoon in Genting Highlands in Malaysia so i reckon this miss was not much

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderNomad View Post
I heard a few years ago one of the two cables that hold the car broke and passengers were hung in mid-air and airforce was called to rescue them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Hi Mobile008,

The cable car ride is good for first timers. You can have a cup of coffee on the hilltop during sunset. A nice view of sunset from there. But just to inform you that there was an accident with one of the cable car 13-14 years back. It got struck for more than 8-10 hours in the mid and a helicopter with commandoes was called for the rescue of the passengers. Most of the subcables were broken and it was hanging on just 2-3 subcables with all the passenger's load.

There is one more dhaba at Murthal i.e. Sukhdev (3 kms ahead of Ahuja's) which is better than Ahuja's. Have a taste there next time.

Now please continue as we are waiting for more and more pictures and writeup.
Exactly, that's what the story goes about the broken cable wires.

I was told by our driver about Sukhdev after we completed our breakfast at Ahuja's and being the silent sardar ( such rare folks), i didnt say anything.

To give into that affect, he pointed the number of cars parked outside "Sukhdev" and it indeed was a sight. It seems at peak times, close to 400-500 cars are parked there outside Sukhdev. Maybe next time.

Alright, so with the cable car ride out of our reach, we just decided to spend a few minutes inside the Timber Trail premises, which is quite nice with lots of flowers in the garden and a lovely sit-out from where you can view the mountains.

Being a tbhpian's, how can i miss spotting 3 BMW 7-series ( All CH Registered) in the parking compound parked quite close to each other.

It was some sight.

Here are some pictures of the same. After this stop, we stopped once more for wifey to grab a quick lunch at Gianni's Restuarant (HOMP-Highway on my Plate) as i was too heavy with Ahuja's Paranthas.

Post that lunch stop, there was no stopping until reaching Shimla, as the sun downed, caught hold of first breathtaking view of the sunset and the first view of snow capped mountains.
Attached Thumbnails
Himachal Pradesh : "The Great Hunt for Snowfall" but found just snow-dsc_9801.jpg  

Himachal Pradesh : "The Great Hunt for Snowfall" but found just snow-dsc_9803.jpg  

Himachal Pradesh : "The Great Hunt for Snowfall" but found just snow-dsc_9809.jpg  

Himachal Pradesh : "The Great Hunt for Snowfall" but found just snow-dsc_9810.jpg  

Himachal Pradesh : "The Great Hunt for Snowfall" but found just snow-dsc_9821.jpg  

Himachal Pradesh : "The Great Hunt for Snowfall" but found just snow-dsc_9822.jpg  

Himachal Pradesh : "The Great Hunt for Snowfall" but found just snow-dsc_9854.jpg  

Himachal Pradesh : "The Great Hunt for Snowfall" but found just snow-dsc_9885.jpg  

Old 13th January 2010, 00:31   #24
Senior - BHPian

Very nice photos and narration dude. Keep it coming
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 02:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

Default Nice to see your thread at last.

Nice thread and pics. It reminds me of the time I spent in a cab doing Delhi to Solan, Solan to Manali via Supatu and then onto Rohtang. I loved riding from Manali to the Roerich estate & museum at Mandi and back on the old Kullu road on a hired RX100.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 03:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hey Avi---at last we've got to see your travelogue! Great pics man! I am sure you had a ball of a time.
Waiting eagerly for more pics.

BTW, I too was disappointed for not seeing snowfall when I visited those places in Jan, 2002. All I got to see was hardenend snow---though it was a lot fresher at Solang Valley near the Shiva temple.

Looks like I am having a similar fate in Wa,DC---I missed snowfall by a week.

Last edited by vnabhi : 13th January 2010 at 03:06.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 09:06   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Hey Avi---at last we've got to see your travelogue! Great pics man! I am sure you had a ball of a time.
Waiting eagerly for more pics.

BTW, I too was disappointed for not seeing snowfall when I visited those places in Jan, 2002. All I got to see was hardenend snow---though it was a lot fresher at Solang Valley near the Shiva temple.

Looks like I am having a similar fate in Wa,DC---I missed snowfall by a week.

Thanks Venu. Well, if you are unlucky in DC then i should not be complaining too much here in India

Having started from Delhi around 8:30AM. We reached Shimla around 7PM. I noticed that even though the distance is just 375kms it takes atleast 10 hours to reach the destination with a few liesurely stops in between.
Has anyone done this route much before in time?

When we checked into our hotel around 7:30pm, the first thing that struck us was the cold. It was bone-chilling and it practically numbed our minds.

I guess moving from minimum temparatures of 16C in Hyderabad to 7C in Delhi to 1C in Shimla was way too much of variation in a single day.

Rest of the night was acclimatization time and we didnt even go to the mall. Brrrrrr, god knows how we slept that night, it was nothing short of a cold nightmare

Next day, we planned to head towards Kufri which is about 20kms from Shimla. Left the hotel around 9AM and on the way stopped at Sher-a-punjab for relaxed breakfast. The best part was they have a sit-out in the back with sun rays falling directly on you with fantastic view of the ranges. What a feeling it was, one of the best locations for breakfast.

After a short break for some photos, we reached Kufri around 11AM and immediately approached by the several touts who wanted tourists to take their horses for the 7kms up and down ride to the top of Kufri mountain.

We paid Rs.300, so wifey is comfortable on the horse.Whereas, i decided against using a horse due to a peeved up experience before and thought of hiking it up to the top. By god, that was one of the steepest climbs that i did in a very long time ( Tirupathi climb included) with absolutely rough terrain till the top. But, when you reach the top, there is whole new world waiting for you.

The top is suprisingly flat and has a lot of photo taking points and there is a fun world with lots of games and even a "Go-Karting" track who claim to only track so high in entire world.
Attached Thumbnails
Himachal Pradesh : "The Great Hunt for Snowfall" but found just snow-dsc_0456.jpg  

Himachal Pradesh : "The Great Hunt for Snowfall" but found just snow-dsc_0474.jpg  

Himachal Pradesh : "The Great Hunt for Snowfall" but found just snow-dsc_0477.jpg  

Himachal Pradesh : "The Great Hunt for Snowfall" but found just snow-dsc_9886.jpg  

Himachal Pradesh : "The Great Hunt for Snowfall" but found just snow-dsc_9888.jpg  

Himachal Pradesh : "The Great Hunt for Snowfall" but found just snow-dsc_9890.jpg  

Himachal Pradesh : "The Great Hunt for Snowfall" but found just snow-dsc_9896.jpg  

Himachal Pradesh : "The Great Hunt for Snowfall" but found just snow-dsc_9902.jpg  

Himachal Pradesh : "The Great Hunt for Snowfall" but found just snow-dsc_9904.jpg  

Himachal Pradesh : "The Great Hunt for Snowfall" but found just snow-dsc_9906.jpg  

Old 13th January 2010, 09:24   #28
BHPian

Nice pics there mobike008. Great teaser shots and waiting to see the full blown trip pics. Keep them rolling.
muralisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 12:17   #29
BHPian

Delhi/Gurgaon to Shimla usually took us about 8 hours with stops - but we always made a point of starting as early as 3 am.

Looking forward to this travelogue Avi - especially Tirthan valley
amip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 13:49   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amip View Post
Delhi/Gurgaon to Shimla usually took us about 8 hours with stops - but we always made a point of starting as early as 3 am.

Looking forward to this travelogue Avi - especially Tirthan valley
Ami, I may not have captured Tirthan Valley as it originally was but, let me tell you, next time your in Himachal, spend a couple of nights at TV, it's a superb experience.

After our negotiation with the horse tout at Kufri, we closed on Rs.300 for taking Neera up to the mountain and then back. Whereas, i decided to trek up along with the horse.

It was a terrific and bone jostling experience as along with me only a couple more were walking up instead of using the horses, and there is no path for walkers, only horses everywhere.

After a lot of huff and puff, we climbed that almost 3km+ steep mountain to reach the top, where everything changed to a nice flat land. We were told there are lot of photo points and a fun world with lots of rides and go-karting.

Neera being a hardcore rides maniac, we (rather, she) was dying to try out the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Himachal Pradesh : "The Great Hunt for Snowfall" but found just snow-dsc_9911.jpg  

Himachal Pradesh : "The Great Hunt for Snowfall" but found just snow-dsc_9908.jpg  

Himachal Pradesh : "The Great Hunt for Snowfall" but found just snow-dsc_9913.jpg  

Himachal Pradesh : "The Great Hunt for Snowfall" but found just snow-dsc_9915.jpg  

Himachal Pradesh : "The Great Hunt for Snowfall" but found just snow-dsc_9918.jpg  

Himachal Pradesh : "The Great Hunt for Snowfall" but found just snow-dsc_9919.jpg  

Himachal Pradesh : "The Great Hunt for Snowfall" but found just snow-dsc_9926.jpg  

Himachal Pradesh : "The Great Hunt for Snowfall" but found just snow-dsc_9923.jpg  

Himachal Pradesh : "The Great Hunt for Snowfall" but found just snow-dsc_9927.jpg  

Himachal Pradesh : "The Great Hunt for Snowfall" but found just snow-dsc_9934.jpg  

Himachal Pradesh : "The Great Hunt for Snowfall" but found just snow-dsc_9933.jpg  

Himachal Pradesh : "The Great Hunt for Snowfall" but found just snow-dsc_9936.jpg