Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 30th April 2010, 17:06   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default The scary simulator ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I don't know how I missed the dulles museum. But nice to see pieces of history on display here.
I found that one more interesting than the one at DC, so I paid 2 visits to it during my trip.

The extra things you get there (apart from a wider range of planes) are the simulators and the space shuttle. One also gets to climb into a control tower and see all the instumentation in it. One gets a good view of the Dulles aiport also from that tower.

The simulator ride that costs 8 USD was fantastic and scary--there are 3 different ones, but I took my pal's son into one that simulates an F4 Phantom's cockpit. I took the pilot's seat and my pal's son the seat that controls the weapons systems.

Now the scary part: I was given to believe by my pal's son that we sit stationary in the cockpits, and the screen that shows the targets rotates. But on the contrary (gulp) it was the other way round---the whole darn thing rotates 360 degrees, where you are sometimes entirely upside down, supported only by the shoulder harness.

'Please leave your wallet and belongings in the locker, sir' was what the attendant said.

'I'm wearing tight jeans, so I guess that is not necessary' I said.

'Sir, most people have lost their wallets, and we need to spend time searching for it' , he said.

Without any further thoughts, we emptied our pockets into the locker and boarded with apparent nervousness. Given that I was scared of Giant Wheels, the very thought of turning upside down did not augur well with me.

The attendant gave us a briefiing on how to operate the joy stick for each chair, and how to score bonus points. He then checked how we had buckled up and then fastened the shoulder harness.

When the countdown ended, I pulled the joy stick back to take off, and then enjoyed moving it for ascent, descent and for speeding up or slowing down.

My pal's son was letting loose hell on the varmits---shooting them down with AMRAAMs and Sidewinder missiles.

Then the fun started. I increased speed and dove to chase an enemy aircraft, but that guy swooped sharp left. So did I. But the turn was so steep, our cockpit was entirely upside down !! And I was desperately trying to find out how to get back to level .

'Uncle, turn more, I'm missing the target' , barked my companion.

'Shut up', said I. 'I don't give a damn if he escapes', but we gotta get back to level ground'. My shoulders were hurting due to the entire body weight resting on those for nearly a minute!!

With utmost concentration, I could somehow get back the aircraft to level ground. To my companion's chargin, I fliew only level after that for the next 1 minute, till the game ended. The iceing on the cake was that we'd got the bonus kill points!!

Some more pics of the flight control tower and the view from it:

From DC to DC---a journey across continents-march2010-122.jpg

From DC to DC---a journey across continents-march2010-125.jpg

From DC to DC---a journey across continents-march2010-126.jpg

From DC to DC---a journey across continents-march2010-130.jpg

From DC to DC---a journey across continents-march2010-131.jpg

From DC to DC---a journey across continents-march2010-132.jpg

From DC to DC---a journey across continents-march2010-133.jpg

From DC to DC---a journey across continents-march2010-134.jpg

From DC to DC---a journey across continents-march2010-135.jpg

From DC to DC---a journey across continents-march2010-128.jpg
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 18:12   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
With barely two days remaining after our Shenandoah trip, we could visit the Dulles Air and Space Museum (Steven Udvar museum), which is as big as the main Smithsonian Air and Space Museum at DC, but this is right next to the Dulles airport in Virginia.
All right, a new reason to visit DC.

Quote:
We could also take a walk to the National Mall area in DC to get the first glimpses of the famous Cherry Blossom festival (that was witnessed by our PM and other VIPs a couple of weeks later).
vnabhi would you know the dates for the Cherry Blossom festival?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
'Uncle, turn more, I'm missing the target' , barked my companion.

'Shut up', said I. 'I don't give a damn if he escapes', but we gotta get back to level ground'. My shoulders were hurting due to the entire body weight resting on those for nearly a minute!!
I can understand your situation upside down and all, to have uttered such strong words in the company of a child. This also tells me how much fun this will be when I take my nephews there.

Looking forward to the rest of your travelogue.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 19:57   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
All right, a new reason to visit DC.

vnabhi would you know the dates for the Cherry Blossom festival?

I can understand your situation upside down and all, to have uttered such strong words in the company of a child. This also tells me how much fun this will be when I take my nephews there.

Looking forward to the rest of your travelogue.
@khoj, the Cherry Blossom festival begins end of March and ends sometime now. You better go there fast.

As regards those utterances while upside down, they were in a lighter vein---I always joke with that kid, so they were words that he was kinda used to
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 21:24   #94
Senior - BHPian

I will make that trip next year, somehow I get stuck with a one year visa every time when every one else in the family (immediate and extended) bask in the luxury of 10 year ones.
Old 1st May 2010, 11:32   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will make that trip next year, somehow I get stuck with a one year visa every time when every one else in the family (immediate and extended) bask in the luxury of 10 year ones.
Gosh, i suppose that must be a visitor's visa then? Business visas are generally issued for 10 years and this practice started around 4 years ago. My first business visa was valid for one year only in 2004.

It looks like my wife was lucky to get a 10-year visitor's visa in Jan, 2010.

Coming to visa duration, paying 6000 bucks for a 10-year visa seems very fair compared to paying the same amount for a UK or Canadian visitor's visa, which are valid only for 6 months at most. A 10-year visitor's visa to the UK costs nearly 40 K INR!!!

Wish you best of luck for your next visa.
Old 1st May 2010, 13:30   #96
Senior - BHPian

Mine have been business visas and the rest of them have tourist/visitor visas.
Old 1st May 2010, 22:11   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mine have been business visas and the rest of them have tourist/visitor visas.
Oh, I thought they were invariably issuing Business visas for 10 years from 2006 onwards!!

They surely want to reduce the burden, so I am sure your next visa will be for 10 years. You have a better chance as you've already made a few trips to the US
Old 1st May 2010, 23:34   #98
Senior - BHPian

My last trip was in 2004, I hope they do give me the 10 year one the next time around.
Old 2nd May 2010, 23:01   #99
Senior - BHPian

Default Cherry Blossoms in DC

Mar 29th, 6 pm: With only one day left, we quickly took the metro blue line to Smithsonian metro stop, and set out to walk towards the Tidal Basin, where the Cherry Blossom festival had started a couple of days ago.

We took a few pics at dawn, and then walked back home via the White House, where we found another collection of Cherry Blossoms blossoming.

The blue line in DC's metro (my regular ride varied between Orange line and blue line:

From DC to DC---a journey across continents-march2010-197.jpg

From DC to DC---a journey across continents-march2010-198.jpg

A groundhog hogging away on the ground near the White House:

From DC to DC---a journey across continents-march2010-191.jpg

The Tidal Basin area:

From DC to DC---a journey across continents-march2010-194.jpg

From DC to DC---a journey across continents-march2010-196.jpg

The Treasury Building and White House area:

From DC to DC---a journey across continents-march2010-190.jpg

From DC to DC---a journey across continents-march2010-188.jpg

From DC to DC---a journey across continents-march2010-187.jpg

From DC to DC---a journey across continents-march2010-186.jpg

The Jefferson Memorial looming behind the Tidal Basin lake

From DC to DC---a journey across continents-march2010-193.jpg

Last edited by vnabhi : 2nd May 2010 at 23:04.
Old 4th May 2010, 13:39   #100
BHPian

Hey Venu - dont know how i missed this until now! Some great pics there - fair bit of snow - far cry from the heat outside my cabin window. The simulator seems like a great deal of fun. :-)

PS - never heard of Biggles
amip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 17:00   #101
Senior - BHPian

Oh ooohh! just beautiful!! what colours from off whites to pale pinks amazing.
I am speechless, you are blessed indeed to have seen the cherry blossoms.
Old 4th May 2010, 18:37   #102
BHPian

Finally got to read your simulator post. Not sure how I missed earlier. Nice experience there.
akbaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 18:53   #103
Senior - BHPian

Excellent pics Vnabhi. I wouldn't want to play spoilsport by posting some pics of Luray Caverns. But it was one hell of an experience. Could you tell me what date and time you visited Caverns?

We were there on March 27th at around 12 pm. I missed the Car Museum as we had 3 year old kid who was getting restless.

Could you tell which interesting places you liked in Caverns? For me it was the lake, the highest point in Caverns and the tallest speleothem. Would really love to hear from your opinion.

We visited DC on 31st March, guess you were there 2 days before. If i had known, we could have done a mini t-bhp meet.

Did you took any sightseeing tour while in DC?

Sorry for asking so many questions. I just came across this thread while i was looking around to see if there are any DC threads.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 22:55   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amip View Post
Hey Venu - dont know how i missed this until now! Some great pics there - fair bit of snow - far cry from the heat outside my cabin window. The simulator seems like a great deal of fun. :-)

PS - never heard of Biggles
Ami---thanks for your compliments. I do agree that looking at the snow pics gives some kind of reprieve from the oppressive heat here nowadays.

Thou art forgiven for not reading Biggles--it was very popular in our school days in the late 70s.

Quote:
Oh ooohh! just beautiful!! what colours from off whites to pale pinks amazing.
I am speechless, you are blessed indeed to have seen the cherry blossoms.
Yep, I was lucky to spot the start of the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
Finally got to read your simulator post. Not sure how I missed earlier. Nice experience there.
Man, it was scary for me----even Giant Wheels scare me---except when they move super slow like the London Eye !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Excellent pics Vnabhi. I wouldn't want to play spoilsport by posting some pics of Luray Caverns. But it was one hell of an experience. Could you tell me what date and time you visited Caverns?

We were there on March 27th at around 12 pm. I missed the Car Museum as we had 3 year old kid who was getting restless.

Could you tell which interesting places you liked in Caverns? For me it was the lake, the highest point in Caverns and the tallest speleothem. Would really love to hear from your opinion.

We visited DC on 31st March, guess you were there 2 days before. If i had known, we could have done a mini t-bhp meet.

Did you took any sightseeing tour while in DC?

Sorry for asking so many questions. I just came across this thread while i was looking around to see if there are any DC threads.
Hey, I was there at around the same time--perhaps between 1 pm and 4 pm.
I found most of the Caverns interesting, and do not recall any specific spot.
Yes, we could have met, but I left on 30th night.
I saw most of DC on foot, as I lived there for 3 months!! I know every nook and corner by now.
Old 1st July 2010, 15:30   #105
Senior - BHPian

Default Some more pics of Washington DC

I got time to revive this thread after a long time. Some of the pics below were already posted by member Chevelle.

Here are a few pics of Columbus Square, opp the Union Station, close to the Capitol and Supreme Court.

From DC to DC---a journey across continents-febmar2010-294.jpg

From DC to DC---a journey across continents-febmar2010-289.jpg

From DC to DC---a journey across continents-febmar2010-290.jpg

From DC to DC---a journey across continents-febmar2010-291.jpg

From DC to DC---a journey across continents-febmar2010-292.jpg

From DC to DC---a journey across continents-febmar2010-293.jpg

From DC to DC---a journey across continents-febmar2010-295.jpg

From DC to DC---a journey across continents-febmar2010-296.jpg

From DC to DC---a journey across continents-febmar2010-286.jpg

The lovely foyer of the Union Station:

From DC to DC---a journey across continents-febmar2010-279.jpg