Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2010, 23:29   #16
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,825
Thanked: 4,801 Times
Default

After this, we find ourselves at the JBL stall. I meet Arush, say Hi and leave. The Yeti isnít around. I plan to come back later to meet him.

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0141.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0142.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0143.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0146.jpg

Soon after the JBL stall, we walk into a big hall which houses the Japanese giants. Honda and Toyota. Honda havenít yet launched the Small car concept, so we take a few pics of some jazzed up jazzes and move on to the Toyota stall where the Etios has just been revealed a few minutes back.

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0147.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0150.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0149.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0152.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0153.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0156.jpg
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2010, 23:32   #17
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,825
Thanked: 4,801 Times
Default

Some pics of the Honda CR-Z which I couldnt fit in the previous post.

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0796.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0800.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0804.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0809.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0805.jpg
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2010, 23:41   #18
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,825
Thanked: 4,801 Times
Default

We take some pics of the Toyota Etios Sedan and Hatchback. I am eager to see more of the car, but I canít manage it. There is only so much you can see and experience without actually getting into the car. The car looks very ordinary. I donít know why but it reminded me of a Logan. I didnít really like the design of the car.


The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0162.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0164.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0166.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0167.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0168.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0170.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0172.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0173.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0176.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0180.jpg
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2010, 23:43   #19
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,825
Thanked: 4,801 Times
Default

Some pics of the other cars on display at the Toyota stall.

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0182.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0185.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0187.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0190.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0192.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0194.jpg
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2010, 23:52   #20
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,825
Thanked: 4,801 Times
Default

After this, we land up in the bike manufacturersí stall. Bajaj, Honda, Harley Davidson, Hero Honda and Yamaha all are almost next to each other. There is a huge rush at the entrance to the Yamaha stall and no one is being allowed inside. This is because John Abraham is inside. My cousin and I immediately decide that John Abraham is not with Bipasha and decide to walk away. We then visit the Bajaj stand. Itís very ordinary. Nothing great. They have a few KTM bikes and a few Kwackers. At this time, the Honda stall is jammed with real journalists as they are releasing their 100cc bike. Soon after that, there is an outdoor demo of trial biking. This happened last time as well. It is always interesting to watch even though the MC tries her level best to drive the crowds away with her stupid and meaningless talk.


The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0198.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0201.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0203.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0206.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0207.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0209.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0217.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0233.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0235.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0232.jpg

The video of the trial biking demo is here. Try to watch it in HD.

Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2010, 23:56   #21
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,825
Thanked: 4,801 Times
Default

Once this demonstration is done, we head to the Hero Honda stall. I actually donít want to go because, well, to put it mildly, I donít like the company. However, my cousin kinda pushes me and I agree thinking that since we are anyway here, we may as well go. Boy oh boy! Am I in for a major surprise!! The bikes are the usual crappy 100 year old stuff, but the display is awesome!

They have two concentric circular stands in the centre and a Karizma is mounted inside one of them. The circular ring on the inside is rotating and twisting in different directions. It is pretty cool. However, the thing which blows me away is the water display. They have a water curtain coming down and without using lasers; they are portraying designs, logos and words in the water. Basically, the nozzles from where the water is falling are computer controlled and you can see the result for yourself in the youtube video. Be a little patient as it is not apparent at first, but soon you can see different designs, then the Hero Honda name, then the logo and so on.

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0242.jpg

You HAVE to see this in HD and full screen to really notice the creativity.





Also found this Lamborghini outside in one of the car magazine stalls.


The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0230.jpg
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 00:03   #22
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,825
Thanked: 4,801 Times
Default

Then, we land up at the Hyundai stall. Again, nothing special. Concepts don’t really excite me since most of the cool stuff never makes it onto the production car. They also have a small track kind of thing which is closed right now. It seems to be something about road safety. We give it a skip and head out.

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0245.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0246.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0248.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0249.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0250.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0251.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0252.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0253.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0255.jpg


I was struck by this i20 only because of the colour! I've seen Santros in this colour, but never an i20!



The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0257.jpg
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 00:09   #23
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,825
Thanked: 4,801 Times
Default

In one of the outdoor stalls, we see this. A Toyota Supra. Nothing great, considering the fact that we have quite a few in Bangalore, but the tyreboi in me canít help but notice that the Advan Neovas on the Supra are running in the wrong direction! This is just one of the many occasions at the Auto Expo where I notice this.

I noticed that the Maxxis MA-Z1 on the Honda Jazzes in the Honda stall too were running the wrong direction!


The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0260.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0261.jpg


By this time, we are starving and have a bite to eat. Unfortunately, itís a meal I would like to forget quickly. The last time I was at the Auto Expo, I ordered a Channa Bhatura from the same place and it was hot and fresh. Today however, it is cold and stale. Very disappointing.


Anyway, we then make our way to the Chevrolet stall. I donít have high expectations. However, Iím pleasantly surprised. The stall is massive and the Beat looks fantastic! They also have a Chevy Camaro and a WTCC Chevy Cruze. The models are also extremely good looking.


We sit in the Beat and try to see how it feels like inside. My cousin is quite tall. A little more than 6 feet tall and Iím not exactly short either. Add to that, Iím not what you would call thin either! We both find the Beat to be very cramped. Itís a fantastic looking car and the driverís seat is quite comfortable. However, if either of us got comfortable in the driverís seat, the other had absolutely no space for his legs. There was quite a substantial rush in the Chevy stall. I was quite surprised as I wasnít expecting any crowd at all. However, the crowd was very well behaved. Most of them were dressed formally which makes me believe that many of them were employees of other companies participating at the Expo and they had come here to check out the cars since they didnít have too much work.

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0262.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0263.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0268.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0269.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0270.jpg
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 00:38   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
tsk13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,233
Thanked: 278 Times
Default

Nikhil, Chawri Bazaar Metro Station is the Deepest in Delhi, 25 Meters below surface not Chandni Chowk. And regarding deepest in the world, it's no where close [Deepest in Kyiv is 102m (330ft), Deepest in Moscow is 86m (280ft) and London's deepest is 58m (192ft)]. Moreover, the tunnel of Airport Express Line goes below Rajiv Chowk Metro Station at a depth of 40 meters.
Source: New Delhi Metro - Page 19 - SkyscraperCity

The Paranthes are very famous there but I'm not very fond of deep fried Paranthas like Bhaturas (Fluffy Puris but made out of Flour instead of Wheat). There are many other famous Parantha joints in Delhi, one being quite frequented by SRK during his days in Delhi and all such joints out of the walled city (Chandni Chowk, Delhi 6) make Paranthas on huge Tawas in which Ghee is only used to grease them a bit or saute (hehe).

The Gurudwara is Sis Ganj Sahib, where the 9th Sikh Guru attained Martyrdom along with 3 others. He was beheaded by Aurangzeb's men. One associate attained martyrdom as he was boiled in a big Cauldrom, another's body was cut vertically using a Saw at the roundabout in front of the Gurudwara and the last was wrapped in Cotton and burnt till death.

The Jain Mandir is very famous and goes by the name of Digambar Jain Mandir. According to Wiki, it's the oldest Jain Temple in Delhi.

And between the Gurudwara and Temple is the Old Famous Jalebi Wala, known for thick Jalebis.

Very near to this place is Delhi's famous Chor Bazaar which would've been of best interest to you. Tyres and Alloys, all at your disposal and the source, No, don't think of Sai Mag or some Karol Bagh based Supplier it's some poor man whose car was robbed of wheels.

It was really sad I couldn't meet you. Had I known you were here, I would have surely met you. Moreover, is Madhus your own brand? Moreover, the 3D Alignment machine whose pic you uploaded is the same as what I saw at Bridgestone Select Super.
tsk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 00:48   #25
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,825
Thanked: 4,801 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Nikhil, Chawri Bazaar Metro Station is the Deepest in Delhi, 25 Meters below surface not Chandni Chowk. And regarding deepest in the world, it's no where close [Deepest in Kyiv is 102m (330ft), Deepest in Moscow is 86m (280ft) and London's deepest is 58m (192ft)]. Moreover, the tunnel of Airport Express Line goes below Rajiv Chowk Metro Station at a depth of 40 meters.
Source: New Delhi Metro - Page 19 - SkyscraperCity

The Paranthes are very famous there but I'm not very fond of deep fried Paranthas like Bhaturas (Fluffy Puris but made out of Flour instead of Wheat). There are many other famous Parantha joints in Delhi, one being quite frequented by SRK during his days in Delhi and all such joints out of the walled city (Chandni Chowk, Delhi 6) make Paranthas on huge Tawas in which Ghee is only used to grease them a bit or saute (hehe).

The Gurudwara is Sis Ganj Sahib, where the 9th Sikh Guru attained Martyrdom along with 3 others. He was beheaded by Aurangzeb's men. One associate attained martyrdom as he was boiled in a big Cauldrom, another's body was cut vertically using a Saw at the roundabout in front of the Gurudwara and the last was wrapped in Cotton and burnt till death.

The Jain Mandir is very famous and goes by the name of Digambar Jain Mandir. According to Wiki, it's the oldest Jain Temple in Delhi.

And between the Gurudwara and Temple is the Old Famous Jalebi Wala, known for thick Jalebis.

Very near to this place is Delhi's famous Chor Bazaar which would've been of best interest to you. Tyres and Alloys, all at your disposal and the source, No, don't think of Sai Mag or some Karol Bagh based Supplier it's some poor man whose car was robbed of wheels.

It was really sad I couldn't meet you. Had I known you were here, I would have surely met you. Moreover, is Madhus your own brand? Moreover, the 3D Alignment machine whose pic you uploaded is the same as what I saw at Bridgestone Select Super.
TSK, dont ruin the suspense of the Gurdwara! I visited the Gurdwara as well. Spent more than 2 hours there!

However, thanks a lot for the info on the underground stations. As I said in my post I was told this was the deepest. Wasnt too sure and frankly, I had my doubts!

Madhus is our own brand. My grandad was Madhusudhana Rao. That was how the name stuck. The 3D machine you see is identical. We have supplied it to them.

I too wanted to meet, but I didnt have much time. I was staying at Bajaj Indian Homestay in Karol Bagh.

The Chor Bazaar will have to wait for my next trip to Delhi! And next time, I'll definitely meet up with you Dilliwallahs!

And I think I visited that Jalebi place. There was a small shop where there was a huge crowd. I figured this has to be good, otherwise there wont be so many people and had jalebi there.

Last edited by Nikhilb2008 : 30th January 2010 at 00:50.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 01:08   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
tsk13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,233
Thanked: 278 Times
Default

That's nice you spent good 2 hours there. You know the Gurudwara you visited is amongst the most visited Gurudwaras by Non-Sikhs, even early morning one can see Non-Sikhs turning up in large numbers from different parts of the city.

Madhus, I wonder if I ever tried communicating the fact that Madhus supplies Hunters in India to you (hehe). The only problem is that it's hard to find 3D Aligners in South Delhi and the Bridgestone Select Super is a good 30 Kilometers away from home. Hope with time, we have more from you guys especially in South Delhi. Universal Tyre House, Prestige alloy guys have your equipment but that's the simple Computerised one.

Your travelogue is full of passion, I mean you covered both aspects of your journey viz. Auto Expo and Delhi Darshan in a wonderful and interesting way. You reminded me of Mayank Austen Soofi, columnist of Hindustan Times' HT City supplement who keeps on visiting Delhi from the past and always comes up with something new and interesting and above all worth reading patiently for a person like me who finds it hard to read for long. Good Luck and Hope to meet you in person very soon.
tsk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 01:15   #27
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,825
Thanked: 4,801 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
That's nice you spent good 2 hours there. You know the Gurudwara you visited is amongst the most visited Gurudwaras by Non-Sikhs, even early morning one can see Non-Sikhs turning up in large numbers from different parts of the city.

Madhus, I wonder if I ever tried communicating the fact that Madhus supplies Hunters in India to you (hehe). The only problem is that it's hard to find 3D Aligners in South Delhi and the Bridgestone Select Super is a good 30 Kilometers away from home. Hope with time, we have more from you guys especially in South Delhi. Universal Tyre House, Prestige alloy guys have your equipment but that's the simple Computerised one.

Your travelogue is full of passion, I mean you covered both aspects of your journey viz. Auto Expo and Delhi Darshan in a wonderful and interesting way. You reminded me of Mayank Austen Soofi, columnist of Hindustan Times' HT City supplement who keeps on visiting Delhi from the past and always comes up with something new and interesting and above all worth reading patiently for a person like me who finds it hard to read for long. Good Luck and Hope to meet you in person very soon.
You did mention it in another thread. I think it was the thread where you spoke about your experience at the Bridgestone Super Select. Problem is, these 3D wheel alignment machines are quite expensive. And many Indians dont feel the need to invest in it. According to them, it is wheel alignment. One machine costs 4 lakhs, one costs 10 lakhs. They dont find the need to spend double the amount.

And thanks for the kind words. There is a lot more to come.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 01:21   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
tsk13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,233
Thanked: 278 Times
Default

My pleasure, awaiting other experiences particularly those of Delhi Darshan.

More than double the difference, it's obviously hard to convince the clients. Moreover, many Alignment guys in South Delhi operate in the open, on encroachments. In such a case, one can't put up a 3D Aligner, but can always have the Basic Aligner in use with the computer inside the shop and rest of the equipment out under the sky.
tsk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 01:49   #29
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,825
Thanked: 4,801 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
My pleasure, awaiting other experiences particularly those of Delhi Darshan.

More than double the difference, it's obviously hard to convince the clients. Moreover, many Alignment guys in South Delhi operate in the open, on encroachments. In such a case, one can't put up a 3D Aligner, but can always have the Basic Aligner in use with the computer inside the shop and rest of the equipment out under the sky.
Well, for such shops, 3D wheel alignment makes more sense as there are no electronics, electricals or sensors in the targets. The normal conventional wheel aligners have a lot of electronics in the stuff they fix to the wheels and tyres. Now, this is more prone to damage in case of rain, etc....

The 3D wheel aligner uses a target that is basically a plastic plate with clamps and a reflecting sticker.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 01:58   #30
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,825
Thanked: 4,801 Times
Default

We then check out the Camaro. Unfortunately, we arenít allowed to sit inside the Camaro! It would have been pointless anyway! There is no point in sitting inside a car like the Camaro. You have to drive it!

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0271.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0272.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0273.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0275.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0277.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0279.jpg


The Chevy Volt also looks good. However, there wasnít too much interest in the Volt by most show goers. The U-VA was looking totally lost. It was placed quite well. In the centre of the hall, but it looked like there was a force field around it. No one was going near the car! It was quite funny to see that as the Chevy stall was really crowded.

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0280.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0281.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0283.jpg

The Mughals, the Auto Expo and food!-image0287.jpg
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Food for the hungry and Food for our thought. StarVegabond Shifting gears 18 12th October 2012 12:01
Wheelosphere at The Hindu Chennai Auto Expo Ľ The Hindu Chennai Auto Expo 2010 udayjani The Indian Car Scene 3 10th October 2010 16:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:55.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks