Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 8th February 2010, 20:15   #31
BHPian

Wow - Sound advice BB. Really useful stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
On a GQ road, one can maintain 65-75 KMPH overall speed for a good 12 hours. That includes time for breaks and all that.
Assuming one leaves at 6 AM, and keeps riding till atleast 8 PM.
Also there is only one long break (max 45 mins) and couple of short breaks. The longest short break can be about 15 mins. The rest only for a quick tea/ smoke/ toilet. This is also assuming that the group is not more than 3 or 4.
Was wondering, 12 hrs of riding in a day, 1 long break (45 min, say lunch) and 2 short breaks (say snack) and the odd 3-4 smoke / toilet breaks (5-10 mins). Can a CI do this much riding without the engine siezing?

OT - Also, I wish somewhere a fell bulleteer should put a step by step picture guide on how to use a puncture kit, a solo rider like me can learn a lot from that .

Last edited by rrahul_2778 : 8th February 2010 at 20:16.
rrahul_2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 05:53   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Talk with the folks at the tea stalls. Be careful whom you talk with and do NOT show any money and expensive stuff. Also do not mention the duration of your ride with anyone. No one needs to know that you are out of contact from family and friends.

A guy from Otur gave us some advice while we were having tea.
Do not ask for Lodge information at a restaurant before you have had your food.
Act as if you are not staying till your meal and tea etc is over. Some lodges have a bad reputation. Avoid them.
Wonderful piece of advice. Thanks for sharing, when I do long drives, I'll keep this in mind. However, I couldn't understand one thing - "Do not ask for Lodge information at a restaurant before you have had your food". Why is that?
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 07:32   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Wonderful piece of advice. Thanks for sharing, when I do long drives, I'll keep this in mind. However, I couldn't understand one thing - "Do not ask for Lodge information at a restaurant before you have had your food". Why is that?
I too have the same question.

@bblost---I enjoyed reading your narration --simply fantastic! I liked that statement of people dying without a cause.

BTW, what is that scheme for using your mobile for 'voice dialling' that costs Rs 50 a day?
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 08:16   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
However, I couldn't understand one thing - "Do not ask for Lodge information at a restaurant before you have had your food". Why is that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I too have the same question.
If they know that you are driving for a long time and not in contact with your family and they also know that you are looking for a place to stay, they might mix some sedative in the food and rob you?
musicvj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 10:04   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicvj View Post
If they know that you are driving for a long time and not in contact with your family and they also know that you are looking for a place to stay, they might mix some sedative in the food and rob you?
Ok, point taken.
But, what if you stay after the dinner & take breakfast next day morning? Or are you suggesting that leave early morning & have breakfast elsewhere? I'm sure there must be some other reason.
Old 9th February 2010, 10:39   #36
Team-BHP Support

The reason given by musicvj is correct.

Its best to leave a little early in the morning just before sunrise. For one its the most beautiful time of the day. The second is that with lesser people on the roads, you can do some decent distance before you stop at about 11 AM for your big break.

Of course in between you will have had your tea and biscuit breaks.

One thing I forgot to add was Tiger Biscuits. These are very good source of Glucose and come in a small 4 biscuit pack. Costs about two rupees per pack.

Nice thing to have as a back up energy source.

@Rollin' Thunda: That is a tough one on how to ensure your bike is safe. Find a decent place to stay. If possible stay in a room that overlooks the parking lot. Be nice to the security guard outside. Mostly noone is going to mess with a simple looking bike. Plus my army fatigue attire helps. I never confirm nor deny when they ask if I with the armed forces. Simply smile and pass it off.
I don't agree and say I am with the army because I am not a soldier and I don't think I have the right to claim something that is so noble and dignified.

@vnabhi: There is no such scheme. I meant that at most I might call and talk to other riders once in an hour. At roaming rates etc, it will never exceed Rs 50 a day.

@rrahul_2778: Yes a CI can do that without any issues.
One of my club riders DJ BlackJack did the return trip non stop with a Classic 500 for company.

Just remember that the CI takes a little longer to get heated up. So never over rev a cold engine. Ease up the first 10-20 kms and then roar out on the roads. However its always a good idea to find a sweet spot on your bike. For mine its in the 80-90 range. At a 100 she still feels good but at a 110 the vibrations get crazy. So I stick at the 95 kmph. Also read the road. Don't try and increase speeds when working against gravity. That is when you are climbing up a slope. Instead give it your all when coming down a slope. Work with the road shape and not against it.

I will try and get a couple of pics on the puncture thing.
But the best place to learn this is your road side puncture guy.
The tools required are two long and thick spanner with a curved end.
A valve remover.
A foot pump.
Pliers.

The front tire very rarely gets a flat. Its the rear that will encounter a flat. Also note that old worn out tires without adequate tread are more prone to flats.

The tire needs to be removed from the bike.
First put your bike on the main stand.
If needed place two flat stones under the stand. Such that the tire is able to rotate freely.
If in a crunch and you have someone to hold the bike. Engage main stand and also the side stand.
Lean the bike on the side stand. This will allow the wheel to rotate freely.
The other person will need to hold the bike in place to prevent it from falling over.
With practice you can do this without anyone else's help.

The standard toolkit contains the spanners needed to remove the axle. But it does not contain a plier to remove the cotter pin. You need to get the cotter out somehow.
Then remove the axle.

The wheel is removed from the gap between the silencer and mudguard.
In some bikes its easier to remove it from under the silencer.

Remove the wheel.

The remaing air in the tube is then removed by pressing the valve in the tube.
Then you insert the spanner in the gap between the tire and rim.
Place the spanner such that the curved end is parallel to the tire and the other end pointing away from the center.
Lift the other end and bring it towards the center. This will cause a gap to appear between the tire and the rim.

Then insert the other spanner in a similar manner about 4 or 5 inches away and repeat.
The gap becomes bigger.

Remove the first spanner and insert it about 4 to 5 inches away in the other direction.
The tire will get free from the rim on one side. Do not remove the tire from both sides its not needed.
Loosen the nut holding the valve head of the tube.
Remove the tube.

Keep the tube for fixing the flat later. I never use a tube with a fixed flat in it. Replace it ASAP.
Then check the inside of the ture using your fingers for any nails etc.
Be careful. You might get cut. If cut get a Tetanus shot if you get cut as soon as you find the nearest doctor.

Put in the new tube after removing its valve. Removing the valve will remover all the air fom the tube and it will sit in place correctly.

Put the tire back on the rim using the spanners. If needed you may need to use the other end of the spanner to hammer it in.

Replace the tire on the bike after fixing the tube valve and filling some air.
Tighten the axle and put in the cotter pin.

Last edited by bblost : 9th February 2010 at 15:31.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 11:27   #37
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, well I never had this thought in my mind. Good info, I'll keep this in mind & also pass on this to others.

But how about when we do trips (may not be bike but in cars) & especially when needed to stay in a place/resort & go to look around the place? It becomes quite inevitable isn't it? So what do we do? Do you think shelling out a little more & stay in a place that looks decent enough?
Old 9th February 2010, 11:32   #38
BHPian

Quote:
aargee, This is my bike with its new tank(old one made bigger) fixed.
Another stupid question for you then, are those mirrors stock or have you changed it on your Bird ? (my bike has small round ones and quite pathetic really)
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 11:42   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
Another stupid question for you then, are those mirrors stock or have you changed it on your Bird ? (my bike has small round ones and quite pathetic really)
I guess those are from Kawasaki Eliminator/Avenger. All RE's come with good round, not small though, mirrors. The latest C5 has a very good one, though very difficult to find, atleast here in Chennai.
Old 9th February 2010, 11:48   #40
Team-BHP Support

Aargee,
I would always recommend a good clean place over a cheap bad place.
There are quite a lot of thing that can go wrong.
What if the place is being used for immoral trafficking of women. A police raid in the middle of the night and you go thru a lot of mental agony over the two or three hundred rupees that you tried to save.

One other small thing. I always prefer an Indian toilet if available over a western one.
The Otur hotel had two types of rooms.
With Indian toilet it was 700 a night and with the western it was 800.
Needless to say I chose the Indian type one.

In the hotel at Indapur, we checked in at about 3:00 AM.
The place was ok but I was not quite comfortable with it.
We paid 300 for the night. I slept with my riding gear on.
Only removed my helmet and shoes.
Did not use the toilet.

Try and carry a spare old bedsheet.
I was lucky that Kashyap had the presence of mind to keep two of them.
They came in handy as the bed linen in some places is suspect.

A air pillow has been added into my list of stuff to keep along.

Never sleep on any bed that is not clean. Google for Crabs infection. It also spreads via dirty linen.

My motto in life is to do everything possible, go every place I can. But to understand the risks and take adequate steps to protect myself.

@Abhay.
Those are actually Avenger mirrors. Cost about 140 each.
They need a small adapter to get fixed in the stock mirror position.

Kashyap also replaced the mirrors on his bike. Look closely at the right hand side of his handle bar in the following picture

Those cost him about 180 bucks each. He claims the view is way better than the stock round mirrors. I don't like them as my shoulders block them out. But they look really neat on his bike.
Old 9th February 2010, 13:18   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aargee,
I would always recommend a good clean place over a cheap bad place.
There are quite a lot of thing that can go wrong.
What if the place is being used for immoral trafficking of women. A police raid in the middle of the night and you go thru a lot of mental agony over the two or three hundred rupees that you tried to save.
Till date I've carried out most of my drives not more than 15-16 hours a day & if at all I'd to stay, I prefer staying at any of my relatives house. Reason - scared of secret camera at hotels. I know but I'm afraid.

Quote:
One other small thing. I always prefer an Indian toilet if available over a western one.
The Otur hotel had two types of rooms.
With Indian toilet it was 700 a night and with the western it was 800.
Needless to say I chose the Indian type one.
I got the point you're trying to convey on the prices.

Quote:
Try and carry a spare old bedsheet.
Yes, I'll have this point also in mind. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Those cost him about 180 bucks each. He claims the view is way better than the stock round mirrors. I don't like them as my shoulders block them out. But they look really neat on his bike.
Couldn't agree more. I fitted up those fancy looking RE's mirrors on my Rx100 to give a classy look & now my shoulders are blocking objects that are too close & I think there's a large area of blind spot - costed my 185 each!!! My Activa's OE RVM's are better
Old 9th February 2010, 13:42   #42
BHPian

Thanks a lot BB for the detailed information on the puncture. Regd. the pics, can you also put up the pics of the puncture kit (with all the tools) that you are carrying?

And yes, the sweet spot on my bike is 70-80. I havent really turned the accelerator to the full on my bike yet, just like to cruise between 60 and 80 depending on the traffic. THe reason I had asked you that question on the CI bike run times was that I did a solo ride (my 1st long ride) a month ago Chennai to Bangalore and back the next day (approx 800 kms) and did with very minimal breaks, just kept the speeds in the sweet spot. So i was just trying to find out that whether the bike can do such runs or was I plain lucky to do the ride without any troubles.
Old 9th February 2010, 14:17   #43
Team-BHP Support

aargee, looks like I am not the only one paranoid about camera's in the room.

rrahul, I call this as the generator mode. You know like a generator keeps on running and running. The bike engine feels like its doing hardly anything except the one thing it loves.
Old 10th February 2010, 14:26   #44
Team-BHP Support

Found an excellent guide on removing a Tire.

Neduro's Tire Changing Class - ADVrider

I use pretty much the same tools. Except that its generally enough if you remove the tire from only one side of the Rim. No need to separate the two.
Old 10th February 2010, 18:43   #45
BHPian

Superb stuff. Really useful. Thanks for finding it for us Sir.

I think this guy has seperated it from the rim to change the whole tyre along with the tube.

Now I should try to do some dry runs at home by removing the tyre and tube etc

Last edited by rrahul_2778 : 10th February 2010 at 18:44.