Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 12th February 2010, 11:52   #1
BHPian

Default Trip Log - Pune - Indore - Mandsaur - Bhopal - Pune

Hi folks - hope the title is self explanatory and excuse my newbie mistakes!

Anyways, a brief introduction to begin with. I am based out of Pune and love to travel (read Drive). last few months since we got a MMXylo, it's been a sequence of 1day/2day outings to different places.
Ambitious that I am, we (total 3 adults+2 5yr olds) are planning for this trip from 20 feb to 28 Feb. Looked at the existing threads (and thanks to pjbiju, technocrat, ptushar, naren_gs1 and others) for suggestions and experiences. However it's been over 3 months on those threads and I am wondering if there is an update to the road conditions?

I am leaning towards Pune-sangamner-NH3 to Indore. is that a good drive now ? Planning to return from bhopal using hoshangabad-khandwa-bhusawal-aurangabad-nagar-pune.

Mandsaur is a tier 3 city in MP and falls north of Ratlam on NH79. Feb last year when I travelled, NH79 was getting converted to 4 lanes with bridge work in progress. Any updates on that?
Mandsaur to Bhopal if anyone has suggestions much appreciated. Apparently its mostly State highway travel and I have absolutely no clue on the road condition now. It was fairly bad few years ago.
mmxylorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 11:56   #2
Team-BHP Support

For Pune - Indore: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...te-choice.html

for Bhopal - Pune: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ne-bhopal.html

Missing information for: Indore - Mandsaur - Bhopal
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 14:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

I travelled to Indore last month on NH3 from Bombay, road is very good except for some bad sections in MH-MP border. From Damnod, it is a great 4-lane road till Dewas via Indore.

Indore-Bhopal road is OK, was not in so good shape a few months ago.

Bhopal-Hoshangabad also had some bad sections. No idea about the Hoshangabad-Khandwa road, but someone who went last year on that road reported it to be terrible.

Khandwa-Jalgaon (best route to get to Pune) is in good condition.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 16:36   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Khandwa-Jalgaon (best route to get to Pune) is in good condition.
Here is a pic from Dec. 2009 last week trip to show what HVK sir is saying.
Attached Images

LongDrive lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 18:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

I traveled 6 months back from Pune -> Indore -> Pune.

The route taken after consulting few folks, who had tried alternate routes was,

Pune -> Aurangabad -> Ajanta -> Sillod -> Muktai Nagar -> Burhanpur -> Indore (and back).

I had couple of friends, who used Mumbai - Agra highway from Nashik onwards to Indore, but that always turned out to be a bad choice due to heavy traffic in ghat sections.

Road from Pune -> Aurangabad is quite good. Aurangabad -> MuktaiNagar is okay. Burhanpur -> Indore is quite good again.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 13:46   #6
BHPian

hi all,

Rolled to a stop in pune last night (11ish). About 2400 kms in 8 day vacation - whew! A detailed travelogue will be posted shortly once I get my mailbox cleaned up.
Old 3rd March 2010, 03:09   #7

Indore-Bhopal is again in very good condition. It is four lane in progress with 80% road complete in Nov' 09.
Niks14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 12:33   #8
BHPian

Hi folks,
I hope this narration helps people in planning their trip considering the current road conditions. For this trip, the places I wanted to cover were fixed but I kept my plans open in case of any impromptu changes. Here goes...

Day 1. Pune-Indore
Departure 20 Feb
Wheels rolling by 6:15 am

With all the updates related to 2-3 different routes between Pune and Indore, I was undecided till the very end about the road to take. A close family acquaintance who does the Indore Mumbai run very freqently suggested using NH3 (AB Road) and it was so. Left pune for Nasik. Veered off the NH50 at Sangamner and joined NH3 at Malegaon. Got a first glimpse of the 4 lane NH3 at Malegaon. Smooth as silk road with virtually no traffic. had to watch out for animals/people crossing with abandon but a good run nevertheless. Took lunch at Dhule (abt 11:30 am) at Manas hotel which is just before the flyover. A decent place to eat, just off the highway and ok service. A few days ago, the left ORVM of my Xylo was dashed and lost the mirror. Wanted to get it replaced in Pune before I left for the trip and had planned to get that done on friday - but all workshops were closed on account of shiv jayanti. Left with no choice, I fixed a small blind spot mirror on the assembly as a temporary solution and decided to get the ORVM replaced along the way at the earliest opportunity. While we were having lunch, called up Akash motors in Dhule about this being in stock and was replied to in affirmative. Lunch done - took off for the workshop which is inside the city abt a km from the flyover start point. was kept waiting for abt 20 mins before the service advisor sheepishly confessed about the part actually being not in stock. Gave him and whoever was there nice piece of my mind and left the workshop after wasting abt 40 mins. One side of the flyover is now open for use. so that got me across Dhule fast. Road became a combo of 2 lane/4lane for a significant part. Saw an amazing number of trucks of all size and shape. Not to mention the bodyless chassis getting transported. Crossed the Narmada and hit dhamnod. Road was amazing from that point on. An extremely good run to Indore (rajendra nagar) area to reach our guesthouse at 6:00 PM.

Day 2/3 : Indore local travel. Got the mirror replaced at Patwa automobiles at dewas naka

Day 4 : Indore-Bhopal-Indore
Indore Departure 6:15 AM
Bhopal Arrival 10:00 am
Bhopal Departure 6:00 PM
Indore Arrival 10:00 PM

I had planned to cover Bhopal at the end and from there to Pune direct. unavailability of relatives over the weekend in bhopal prompted this day trip. Indore Bhopal stretch is being 4 laned and I guess should be completed in couple of months. Long stretches seemed complete, but lack of entry into the road left no choice but to go on the 2 lane side. Found dodi to be a good place with the highway treat place for refreshments.
Return journey was equally good albeit at a reduced speed due to night driving and pedestrians/animals/carts along the road. took a break at Dodi again.

Day 5 : Indore - Mandsaur
Departure 10:00 AM
arrival 1:30 PM

Took the pitampur road from rajendra nagar (NH59) and connected to NH79 towards Mandsaur. Road is amazing again. virtually no traffic and I could sustain speeds of 120 kmph. plan was to lunch somewhere in between but with the time we were making called up ahead at relatives place to let them know we would be home for lunch. COuld of hiccups along the way. we took a wrong bypass at Ratlam and had to traverse 2 kms on a muddydirt track. A railway crossing also turned up and had to stop for 10 mins. Hit another bypass and decided to go through the town which turned out to be a bad decision with the town road in bad condition. I think we could have avoided 30 mins by these situations. the road from Ratlam to Mandsaur is 4 lane with only the bridge work and some railway overbridges remaining. should be fun to drive once complete

Day 6-7-8 - Relaxation/local travel. Visited pashupatinath temple and Vahi Parshwanath in Mandsaur. they are relatively well known and good place for a detour in case you are in vicinity.

Day 8 - Mandsaur-Pune
Departure 6:15 am
Arrival 11:00 pm

return journey till pithampur was similar and we made good time. we had decided to follow the burhanpur route on return. stopped for breakfast at pithampur and decided to move to Mhow and simrol bypassing indore. road was ok till we hit Mhow and had to go through town. at Mhow station we waited for abt 30mins at the railway crossing. sheer bad luck that the barriers came down just as we came to them. road from that point is good, barren though till burhanpur. at edalabad decided to go via jamner/pahur. turned out that it was a good decision. the roads are being resurfaced and we could hit aurangabad quickly. I believe there is no bypass for aurangabad so traversed that town which took a while with the evening traffic. Road from that point to Pune is 4 lane and in great cndition. stopped at Nagar for dinner and onwards to pune.

Some observations:

1. Roads in MP are in much better condition than Maharashtra. Signage is even better

2. In MP people drive from the opposite direction including trucks in the fast lane in 4 lane unlike Maharashtra where this was more on shoulder and predominantly 2 wheelers.

3. More courteous toll booth operators in MP
Will try and put additional details regarding the mileage etc shortly.

Last edited by Technocrat : 3rd March 2010 at 13:49. Reason: Added formatting to improve readability :)
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 13:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
we had decided to follow the burhanpur route on return. stopped for breakfast at pithampur and decided to move to Mhow and simrol bypassing indore
Any reason why you did not go directly from Indore bypass to Simrol, instead of via Mhow? I have seen a direct road to Khandwa from the Indore bypass (towards Dewas, 9 kms from the Pithanpur road junction).

Thanks for the update. The route from Burhanpur to Aurangabad via Edalabad is a great find.

Last edited by hvkumar : 3rd March 2010 at 13:40.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 14:34   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Any reason why you did not go directly from Indore bypass to Simrol, instead of via Mhow? I have seen a direct road to Khandwa from the Indore bypass (towards Dewas, 9 kms from the Pithanpur road junction).

Thanks for the update. The route from Burhanpur to Aurangabad via Edalabad is a great find.
At Ghat bilod (on the map) we saw a road leading to Pithampur, connecting to Mhow and leading onwards to Simrol and took that. In hindsight, I guess the other road at Pithampur leading to Rau, bypass from there connecting to Khandwa Road would have been faster. we had taken that road from Rau while driving towards indore and it is fantastic.
Old 3rd March 2010, 16:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)

Glad that you had a great trip. May be the next time, I will try the NH3 route since you mentioned that we can pass Dhule quickly using the flyover.

The Burhanpur->Muktainagar (Edlabad)->Jamner->Pahur->Aurangabad route is very good except for the fact that there are almost no places to eat along the way.

Have they finished resurfacing/patching up the road between Muktainagar and Jamner? During last Diwali, there was a lot of work going on there.

-Biju

Last edited by pjbiju : 3rd March 2010 at 16:54.
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 22:23   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
...I believe there is no bypass for aurangabad so traversed that town which took a while with the evening traffic...
There is an alternate to cross Aurangabad while coming from Jalgaon/Ajanta.
Take right turn at Harsul Naka (around 15 kms from fulambri - just before the four lane city road starts). You might have to ask for directions - but this takes you directly to the Rly Station/Bus Station chowk (dont recollect the name). Take right from this chowk to continue towards Nagar/Pune.

I have found this to be much quicker than going through main Road (Jalna Road/CIDCO)
naren_gs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 22:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Trip Log - Pune - Indore - Mandsaur - Bhopal - Pune

Hello,

I need to drive from Pune to Bhopal on the 26'th Jan weekend.
What will be the best route (taking the Laura so ground clearance is an important criteria)?
And any trusted petrol pumps (driving a petrol car).

Also, can anyone suggest a good hotel in Bhopal (clean and economical)?

Thanks in advance.
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 22:35   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Hello,

What will be the best route (taking the Laura so ground clearance is an important criteria)?
Just did this trip last month (Bangalore-Bhopal via Pune in December and return in early Jan.) in my Civic (equally vexing ground clearance )

The route I took is Pune-Nashik-Malegaon-Dhule-Indore-Bhopal

The only trouble is in the routes I took between Nashik and Pune (and I took two different routes, one using the Chakan Sangamner route which I believe is avoidable for vehicles with low ground clearance, and while returning via Mumbai and taking the Mumbai-Pune expressway which is a better option except while bypassing Mumbai and for some section of the Agra Highway before Nashik where 4 laning is still happening). Beyond Nashik this is a great road to Dhule, and beyond Dhule, till the MP border, the 4 laning is still happening in patches and you will need to slow down. Once you are across into MP, it is good all the way to Indore. Work is still on in the Indore bypass till almost Dewas. The Dewas bypass is 2 laned. Beyond this, the Dewas-Bhopal 4 laned highway is superb and is lovely to drive on.

It is possible to do the journey in a day, though I broke journey both ways, as the Nashik=Pune stretch takes much more time than the distance deserves.

If you plan to bypass Mumbai, then avoid the Mumbra bypass via Kalamboli and take the Belapur-Thane Bypass - heavier traffic but better for low ground clearance. The Mumbra bypass is the only stretch where my car scraped the bottom in the entire journey!

Best Regards
Vijay
root is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 23:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Hello,

And any trusted petrol pumps (driving a petrol car).

Also, can anyone suggest a good hotel in Bhopal (clean and economical)?

Thanks in advance.
Pune-Nashik-Malegaon-Dhule-Sendhwa-Damnod-Indore-Dewas-Bhopal is the route to take.

If you are worried about heavy traffic n NH50 from Pune to Nashik, then take the route via Ahmednagar & Aurangabad to Dhule.

From Dhule, roads are good except for some road widening in MH side.
In MP, roads are outstanding all the way to Bhopal.
You can comfortably bypass Indore.

Petrol pumps - nothing specific to recommend.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote