Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 1st April 2010, 10:48   #241
BHPian

Default Chutku sultan.... the Future King of Tadoba

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Dr. Ghosh,
Great going.
What is the cub after on the tree trunk, is it a salt lick?
Is it confirmed that the mother has abandoned the cubs or is she missing? How old are they?
Wish I could be there too.
Your last pic can also be featured in the Official theme photography thread where the current topic is backlit.
Regards,
The 3 tiger cubs that we are rearing in Bordhardan sanctuary were found abandoned near chandrapur about 8 months back. Subsequently a poacher was caught at Nagpur railway station with tiger bones. DNA analysis has revealed her to be the mother of these cubs . (Very unfortunate)
The cubs are about a year and 2 months old now.
We are learning a lot of things about tiger cubs during this project and we are being guided by national and international experts in this field. Its a costly project with a budget of appx 15000/- per day.
We are looking for sponsors all the time.

The tiger cub (christened as Chutku Sultan by us) is the most inquisitive cub of the lot of the tadoba cubs. In this pic it is after a camera trap.
Here are some more pics of Chutku as shot by my friends.

Enjoy these.

Attachment 319883

Attachment 319884

Attachment 319885

Attachment 319886

Attachment 319887

Attachment 319888

Please note that these are pics of one cub. It can be an interesting thing to check out the stripe pattern on its body and checking the same out when you go back to tadoba.
regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Let me know if anyone is joing me on saturday and sunday .
Attached Thumbnails
Tadoba, Pench forests, wildlife and 4 tigers!-chutku3.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by abheekg : 1st April 2010 at 10:51.
abheekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 11:45   #242
BHPian

Chuktu Sultan looks majestic in these pics. Love the pics and appreciate your efforts in adopting these 3 cubs.
traveloholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 13:37   #243
BHPian

Its very very unfortunate for these cubs to loose the mother, as it becomes very difficult for them to survive and to grow into adults.

Nevertheless as long as authorities take care of these cubs, they should be fine.

Is someone monitoring them on a daily basis?
srikanthpotluri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 17:31   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Hello Dr.Ghosh:

Could you please let me know when you were in Nagjira? I did not know that there were tigers in Nagjira. The reason of my earlier question to know the best time to sight a tiger in Nagjira. I could only see a leopard there in Feb 2009.

Cheers!
Projjal
fatboyslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 13:54   #245
BHPian

Just got back from Bandhavgarh and all I can say is that I am absolutely fed up seeing Tigers .
Seriously I am absolutely awed by the number of tigers I was able to see in my 3 visits to the park. I saw almost all of them i.e. the Mirchiani female with her cubs who put up a fabulous display that would rival any nat geo or discovery footage to shame, The Chorbehra female with her cubs, Bhoka, Kalua, the Rajbehra female, the Chakradhara female and other females who have just left their mothers protective custody and are trying to carve out their own territories. The only fellow I regret not seeing was B2. But then I am going there again asap to catch this most famous tiger currently alive in India on film. I was even fortunate to film 2 kills on video and that too on the same day. The unfortunate victims in this case was a royal looking Sambhar stag and a feeble looking chital female. The Crested Serpent Eagle twice put me in a situation where my 300 prime was too long to 'capture' it. The White Tiger Resort, where I stayed, was a heaven for birders like me with blue bearded bee eaters, Oriental Honey Buzzards, the green Barbet, the yellow footed green pigeons, cuckoo shrikes and the jungle owlets seen almost everywhere. The sighting of a flock of 4 Malabar pied horn-bills still brings a a smile to my face.

Guys anyone who wants to see tigers should go here. It truly is a tiger paradise. I thought my tiger sightings at Ranthambhore were good but Bandhavgarh is altogether in a different class.
SPARKled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 14:42   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Superb Pics. Lot of information regarding the tigers is there on this thread. I am hooked to this thread.

A five star rating for this superb thread
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 15:30   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Just got back from Bandhavgarh and all I can say is that I am absolutely fed up seeing Tigers .
Sparkled,
Why don't you post photographs of your magnificent sightings for underprivileged like me?
Bandhavgarh is indeed a paradise for tiger sightings so is Tadoba and Pench at this time of the year.
Looking forward to yor posts.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 16:44   #248
BHPian

Cant resist not posting but am handicaped as my home PC is long dead and buried and the new one will take some time to materialize. However some of the good ones of the Mirchiani female and its cubs have been shot on film so will have to scan a few before I can post anything. I do have a scanner in office so will post a few from the film camera in a few days time. God!! Never before have I needed as PC as bad as now
SPARKled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 17:17   #249
BHPian

The Gypsy is registered at Bhopal RTO "MP04".
My native place.
sidd25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 17:35   #250
BHPian

thats very very good news Sparkled, please post the pictures soon, cant wait.
Old 5th April 2010, 19:04   #251
Senior - BHPian

Sparkled,
Eagerly awaiting the Mirchani female and the rest from you. Wish you a speedy buy for your PC.
Regards,
Old 6th April 2010, 11:16   #252
BHPian

As soon as I come to TBHP in the morning, the first post I look for is whether the pictures are posted, hmmm I really hope you will get your pc fixed soon.
Old 8th April 2010, 12:08   #253
BHPian

Back from another half day visit to nagzira followed by 1 1/2 days at tadoba.
Wrt to a query below, Nagzira is home to about 15 tigers (in the core area) and about 10-15 more in the FDCM buffer apart from a remarkable number of leopards.

Although my main intention was to investigate the huge male tiger that I had seen at Nagzira last week, the highlight of this trip was hearing the growling sounds of the leopard at Nagzira at 8pm at Pithezari Gate while having local Mahua with forest guards and coming across the tiger cubs again in Tadoba apart from seeing 2 other tigers there (in all 7 tigers in 3 drives). On one of the 3 drives, the RFO had accompanied me with his guards and on this drive we did a wonderful exercise of tracing the pugmarks and calculating the stride length of the tigress and her 4 cubs at a water hole. We were however surprised to find the pugmarks of a fifth tiger in the same group. I will need to invstigate which tiger was this and what it was doing there almost at the same time when the family was on the move.
Later that night, I again saw another leopard in the buffer of tadoba crouching as if to hunt (got a grainy video) and then walking in front of my gypsy for about 10 mins.

I have not yet had time to process these latest images. Some pics though are here, and some taken by friends posted with permission (all pics from tadoba) :

Tadoba, Pench forests, wildlife and 4 tigers!-dripping-tiger.jpg
Tadoba, Pench forests, wildlife and 4 tigers!-sipping-tiger.jpg
Name:  sipping2.jpg
Views: 1664
Size:  172.6 KB
Name:  tigress and cub.jpg
Views: 1641
Size:  86.3 KB
Name:  leopard night.jpg
Views: 1627
Size:  44.6 KB

Elsewhere at Bandhavgad, the other members of wildcats along with a few guests managed to find Kalua (the dominant male fast overtaking the territory of B2) in a very diffferent mood apart from making some other splendid tiger images.

Here are the images posted with their permission :

Tadoba, Pench forests, wildlife and 4 tigers!-kalua-grasslands.jpg
Name:  backlit tiger.jpg
Views: 2004
Size:  150.7 KB

I will be concentrating on Pench this month as I try to find out the whearabouts of the 2 new cubs of the Baghin Nala female apart from tracking the now adult cubs of "Badi Maa" whose 2 year old photos have been posted at the beginning of this thread by fazal saab.
We plan to also have another photography workshop maybe around the second or third weekend in pench and/or tadoba.
Let me know if anyone here on this forum is interested in joining.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh

P.s: @SPARKled - please post your pics soon.
abheekg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 16:11   #254
Senior - BHPian

Dr. Ghosh,
Amazing encounters and photography. Especially the 2nd, 3rd and the 6th pic (after the leopard). The huge male head in the 6th picture and the bright orange coat stand out against the pastel background. I would want just one shot like this one in my lifetime.
I am beginning to envy you now, watch out.
Keep it up and keep it coming.
Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 8th April 2010 at 16:14.
Old 8th April 2010, 17:42   #255
BHPian

Default A failed case of wild-oriented training of a Captive Bred Tiger

A failed case of wild-oriented training of a Captive Bred Tiger

Tadoba, Pench forests, wildlife and 4 tigers!-white-tiger-vs-calf-1.jpg

Tadoba, Pench forests, wildlife and 4 tigers!-white-tiger-vs-calf-2.jpg

Tadoba, Pench forests, wildlife and 4 tigers!-white-tiger-vs-calf-3.jpg

Tadoba, Pench forests, wildlife and 4 tigers!-white-tiger-vs-calf-4.jpg
traveloholic is offline   Reply With Quote