Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 19th February 2010, 11:37   #61
Team-BHP Support

What! This is all we get to see? You're the guy I believe use camera like machine gun.

Great stuff there anyway. Huge plus of staying in Delhi. One can make these quick trips with right attitude and inclination. And you've plenty of those.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 11:48   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Huge plus of staying in Delhi. One can make these quick trips with right attitude and inclination. And you've plenty of those.
VEry very true and thats exactly what i i was telling tsk. The good thing is that it takes them max 1 day to reach a good spot(destination). So on a 3-4 day wkend these guys can make a good trip. But for is it would take that much time only to travel upto delhi.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 12:14   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Another excellent travelogue, Tanveer. Was a pleasure reading and also viewing the pics.

The white Safari in the white snow looks really made for each other.
Thanks ben
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
What! This is all we get to see? You're the guy I believe use camera like machine gun.

Great stuff there anyway. Huge plus of staying in Delhi. One can make these quick trips with right attitude and inclination. And you've plenty of those.
Machine gun! No sirji, I shoot few pics, I have discovered that I should shoot a scene only if I really like it, otherwise the PP headache is too much. this entire trip had maybe 80 pics!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
VEry very true and thats exactly what i i was telling tsk. The good thing is that it takes them max 1 day to reach a good spot(destination). So on a 3-4 day wkend these guys can make a good trip. But for is it would take that much time only to travel upto delhi.
Now think how lucky are the folks who live in Chd, for them snow is just 5 hours away in winters!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 12:46   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Now think how lucky are the folks who live in Chd, for them snow is just 5 hours away in winters!
True, but the grass is always greener on the other side.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 15:47   #65
BHPian

Thumbs up

Hi Tanveer,

Excellent travelogue backed by wonderful snaps. It really feels good to see so much snow and no words to describe how good your safari gels with the environment. Its picture perfect. Thanks for sharing these experiences with us.
Indian Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 17:11   #66
lsp
BHPian

Hi Tanvir,
Amazing travelogue and pics. The white elephant is a beauty and seems to be completely at home in the snow.
lsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 08:22   #67
BHPian

Excellent travelogue. Amazing pictures.

One question though. Can we enagage 4wd in steep inclines (over broken roads or good roads, but close to 40 degrees incline).
sumannandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 09:09   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
True, but the grass is always greener on the other side.
thats so true!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Ranger View Post
Hi Tanveer,

Excellent travelogue backed by wonderful snaps. It really feels good to see so much snow and no words to describe how good your safari gels with the environment. Its picture perfect. Thanks for sharing these experiences with us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
Hi Tanvir,
Amazing travelogue and pics. The white elephant is a beauty and seems to be completely at home in the snow.
thanks guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Excellent travelogue. Amazing pictures.

One question though. Can we enagage 4wd in steep inclines (over broken roads or good roads, but close to 40 degrees incline).
Well if your tires are slipping, then why not, but if you are unable to climb due to lack of torque, you will need 4WD low. For a short distance(few meters), it won't harm to climb a very steep incline(even on good roads) on 4WD low. Make sure its a straight line, not a curve.
Old 23rd February 2010, 08:50   #69
BHPian

Brilliant tanveer! Absolutely brilliant. How would it be on the holi weekend? Tool late for snow? How do you book the PWD and forst guest houses? Do you pay up in delhi or just land there and strike a deal?
Abhiknov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 10:13   #70
Team-BHP Support

Oh, you just call them up, and send them a love letter. Don't forget to attach some hearts and send a box of chocolates too(just kidding )
PWD resthouse and FRH booking is still in the era of indian postal service and faxes. So for many places you need to send them snail mail, and then they sit on your application and ask you to wait. Basically, you should know a month in advance that you are going there.
However, as for us, we are on almost first name basis with many PWD rest house chowkidars, and we can land up at some of the lesser utitlized PWD rest houses, and get a room without much effort.

you will see lot of snow around Hatu peak around holi weekend, but whether there is snowfall or not, is anybody's guess. Maybe even proper narkanda has snow.
Old 25th February 2010, 01:48   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
thats so true!

thanks guys!

Well if your tires are slipping, then why not, but if you are unable to climb due to lack of torque, you will need 4WD low. For a short distance(few meters), it won't harm to climb a very steep incline(even on good roads) on 4WD low. Make sure its a straight line, not a curve.
Thanks Tanveer. I did learn a thing or two from your posts, specially driving on 4wd or not using the clutch.

However, sometimes I encounter steep inclines which are probably few hundred meters at the most, straight lines most of the times. And seems like there is no way I can use the 4wd then.

In my recent Coorg trip I had the same problem. The parking lot was close to 40 degrees incline in a homestay. While going up halfway, I had to half clutch. I am sure if I could use the 4wd I did not have to. Let me know your suggestion.

Thanks.
sumannandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 10:17   #72
Team-BHP Support

On hard surface not a good idea to shift to 4 Low, but if the road is gravel/dirt, you can shift to 4 Low and avoid slipping the clutch
Old 25th February 2010, 13:41   #73
BHPian

Excellent travelogue Tanveer as usual (expected from you) and obviously beautiful pics.

I'm already waiting for the next one to come through.

You should seriously consider contributing to Lonely Planet's guide.
lifeonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 14:05   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
In my recent Coorg trip I had the same problem. The parking lot was close to 40 degrees incline in a homestay. While going up halfway, I had to half clutch. I am sure if I could use the 4wd I did not have to.
4H using shift on the fly.........
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 14:26   #75
Team-BHP Support

4H will help if your tires are loosing traction. If the incline is such that you are unable to generate enough torque to climb without slipping clutch its better to use 4L
On 4L you can climb the steepest inclines at idle speed on first gear