Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 4th March 2010, 13:08   #226

Amazing photos. India is really full of suprises.

Last edited by Jaggu : 4th March 2010 at 16:53. Reason: Please avoid typing like.... this.... and short one liners, Thanks
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 13:34   #227
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
wow sushrutha - the edited one looks amazing.

Can anything be done about the dull looking river bed photo?
The edited one looks very grainy. Like the noise factor has increased. I prefered the original as it looks very natural.
The edited one somehow gives me a feeling of artificial stuff.
Sorry Susrutha.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 14:29   #228
Senior - BHPian

darn. how is missed this thread. went through every page of thread. Superb man.
amazing part was puncture less travel throughout!

Was there any technical issues with car any time?

Which drive was the most memorable or the one you enjoyed the most!
Which one is favorite destination
recshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 15:07   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
The edited one looks very grainy. Like the noise factor has increased.
Yeah, beacuse I increased the sharpness of the pic to 2 levels.

Quote:
wow sushrutha - the edited one looks amazing.

Can anything be done about the dull looking river bed photo?
Thanks, here you go ...
Attached Thumbnails
100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-p2250193.jpg  

sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 15:29   #230
BHPian

good travelogue. You are very modest in saying that you cannot write a travelogue and it was a very well writted funny witty transcripts.

keep it coming.

read the full set at one stretch. now back to office work. sigh..
ikoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 15:31   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

My brother takes the Optra ocassionally, and he had a sidewall puncture on his trip to Goa. I've had lots of punctures in the city though!

Quote:
Which drive was the most memorable or the one you enjoyed the most!
Which one is favorite destination
Among all our trips, the drive to Goa is still quite enjoyable. That's probably why we go to Goa at the drop of a hat. But according to me -

- Valparai Ghats is the best driving road
- Rajasthan state has the best roads
- Pune-Mumbai is the best road to drive fast
- Chickmagalur-Kemmanagundi is the most scenic road
- Himachal Pradesh gives the closest feeling of driving in Europe (if you ignore the road quality), with snow capped mountains all around.
- Bangalore-Mangalore is the worst road!

Quote:
Was there any technical issues with car any time?
I've had millions of problems with the car - both maintenance related and breakdown related. Had 4 or 5 breakdowns, but none of the highways. All the breakdowns were due to external factors, not related to the engineering of the car.

Maintenance Related:

- AC compressor packed up at 90000 km on the odo. Bill: Rs. 40,000

- Front suspension replaced at 60000 km, rear suspension replaced at 80000 km. Cost: Rs. 30k (I think)

- All 4 OEM alloys bent out of shape by 60000 km (because of India exploration on all sorts of roads). Cost of 5 new alloys: Rs. 25,000.

- Three of the new alloys are slightly bent already. I'm using it for rear wheels & stepney.

- Timing belt changed at 90000 km. Cost Rs. 18,000

- Clutch replaced at 60000 km. Don't remember the cost

- Front brake pads replaced twice. Rear discs once. I guess this is because of all the sudden braking on highways & ghats to avoid tractors, old men & women crossing the road, cows etc.

- Underbody damage due to rough roading on highways.

Breakdown Related:

- Battery died once. Thankfully the car was at home when it died.

- Two breakdowns while the car was on the move, in the city. In both the cases, it was the negligence of Sundaram Motors (Bangalore) that was responsible for the breakdown. Once, they had not fixed the tube carrying petrol from the fuel tank to the engine properly - and it had popped out.

- Another time, they had not fixed some underbody panels properly - and water had got into some components during the wash. The car just stalled in the middle of the road. A roadside mechanic removed a small panel from the underbody, blew air into air to remove the water, put it back and the car started.

Rat Related:

Rats would have caused close to Rs. 25,000 in damages, and also made an attempt on our lives indirectly because of brake failure on highway! I park my car inside the compound, but outside the garage - dad's Santro sits in the garage.

Rats used to get into the bonnet from the underside and makes hole in the rubber pipes inside the engine bay. Worse, rats used to bite the fuel pipe, due to which petrol started leaking as soon as the car was started. This problem occurred thrice - and any amount of Mortein Rat Kill wouldn't help solve the problem.

So a local mechanic suggested that we put a wire mesh on the underbody. This finally solved the problem of rats biting the fuel pipe - but with unfortunate consequences 3 months later. I went to my in-laws place with my wife to Mangalore. After I reached my in-laws place, while I was parking the car infront of the house, the brakes failed! I pressed the brake and the pedal just sank into the footwell. I could see the brake fluid spewing out from the front. Thankfully, this happened when the car was moving at around 5 km/hr - not when we were tackling the ghats!

A quick investigation of the problem revealed the culprit - the rat wire mesh. The wire mesh, in the past 3 months, had been touching the brake cable everytime the car was turned. It took 3 months for the sharp wire mesh to make a hole in the brake cable!

Replaced the brake cable and got the wire mesh removed. Now I park the Optra in my garage. Dad's Santro and brother's Alto stay outside - and strangely (or rather thankfully), the rats don't bite the fuel pipe of Santro/Alto

Quote:
good travelogue. read the full set at one stretch. now back to office work. sigh..
Hehehe. Thanks ikoneer!

Last edited by smartcat : 4th March 2010 at 15:33.
smartcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 15:41   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- Chickmagalur-Kemmanagundi is the most scenic road

- Bangalore-Mangalore is the worst road!
LOL, Rightly said abt Bangalore - Mangalore stretch .

Quote:
- AC compressor packed up at 90000 km on the odo. Bill: Rs. 40,000

- Timing belt changed at 90000 km. Cost Rs. 18,000
Are you sure abt the timing belt change Cost ??
18K is way too steep .
Optra is definetely an expensive car to maintain.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 15:53   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Timing belt is expensive even for the Palio - don't remember how much, but it is definitely above 10k.

GM has made the usual accident parts (bumper etc) cheaper than before for the Optra. But the wear & tear parts are still high.

The service mechanic at my dealer said he has never seen an Optra with 100,000 kms on the clock
Old 4th March 2010, 15:59   #234
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
LOL, Rightly said abt Bangalore - Mangalore stretch .

Are you sure abt the timing belt change Cost ??
18K is way too steep .
Optra is definetely an expensive car to maintain.
Timing belt change is a costly affair. Sadly, the timing belt is itself cheap. Just that it's a cumbersome process replacing it. So if you take it to the authorised service center, it's goint to cost a bomb.
My Ford Ikon flair has a timing chain! so it's longer miles to clock before the chain goes loose and I remove one link from that!
Old 4th March 2010, 16:13   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think HM Ambassadors used to have timing chains!

More on the brake fail incident -> This is my in-law's home - full of trees and grass.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-p4010005.jpg

Moments before the brake failed, my father-in-law was standing infront of the car and giving "parking" directions. After the brake pedal sank into the footwell, the car rolled to a stop about 10 cms from my father-in-law.

My wife was sitting next to me at that time
Old 4th March 2010, 16:59   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Dad's Santro and brother's Alto stay outside - and strangely (or rather thankfully), the rats don't bite the fuel pipe of Santro/Alto
So, if your mom drives a tata/fiat and you get a ford drive for your wife (I guess that covers the major auto brands in India), you can do an analysis of the car manufacturers/dealers in India
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 17:24   #237
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Had it been the mother-in-law, we'd have had a different travelogue in street experiences section - Help needed. Ran over mother-in-law. What to do next. If I can wrangle out of this, I can give tips to others!

Now I should be careful on our joint gujarat plans. your wife doesn't own a shot gun right?
Old 4th March 2010, 22:42   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So, if your mom drives a tata/fiat and you get a ford drive for your wife (I guess that covers the major auto brands in India), you can do an analysis of the car manufacturers/dealers in India
Buying a new Tata Nano for city driving (and keeping Optra for highway driving) is a very tempting idea!

Quote:
Had it been the mother-in-law..
Had I hit my mother-in-law, I would have been spending time browsing through SecondShaadi.com rather than Team-Bhp.com
Old 4th March 2010, 23:00   #239
BHPian

Smartcat,

Read the entire log ...Couldn't stop laughing ....Enjoying your style of narration .... Pics are too good... Now, I am planning to put one of your sentences as my signature ( of course after making some customizations) .. ....

Thanks,
Srini....

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 20th May 2010 at 20:21. Reason: Please read the Mod note in your post, thanks
sriswe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2010, 06:34   #240
Team-BHP Support

@Smartcat, Time to change your car I !
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote