Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2010, 01:20   #706
MX6
Senior - BHPian
 
MX6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: City of seven islands.
Posts: 2,882
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Check the last few pages of "Fiat Grande Punto - Test Drive & Review" thread under 'Test Drives & Initial Ownership Reports' sub-forum. I'm waiting for the 90 BHP Fiat Grande Punto.

And yes, check the Classifieds section of Team-BHP after a few weeks.
Although being quite honest about the Optra's little Munnar adventure might have hurt its resale value.

My head is full of calculations like next 100,000 kms divided by 20 km/litre (diesel mileage on highways) = 5000 litres multiplied by Rs. 40 (diesel cost) and so on. Plus, something else that cannot be evaluated with the help of a calculator - SAFETY. I think I need a car with dual airbags & ABS.
On contrary to Ranjan, I love your optra. It's synonymous with you, jagga, karthic, etc now. Sad you are turning it in for a punto. Why are you downsizing now? Shouldn't you go for the linea instead?
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 01:37   #707
Distinguished - BHPian
 
smartcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,973
Thanked: 11,921 Times
Default

Four reasons why I'm not too gung-ho about the Linea -

1) I don't have enough money.

2) I like Punto's face better than Linea's. Well, Linea looks good too, but is not as flawless as the Punto. The headlamps are different, the grille somehow looks different. Some Team-BHP Linea owners have painted their grille black - that looks brilliant though.

3) I took a wonderful lesson in something called "depreciation" after the Optra ownership. Big car = big money = big depreciation = low resale value.

4) Linea top end diesel model is Rs. 2.5 Lacs more expensive than Punto's. For Rs. 2.5 Lacs, I get an extra 15 BHP (but also extra weight), a slightly longer wheelbase for more legroom at the back, 220 litre extra bootspace, an arm rest for the driver's seat and a rear AC vents. Are these worth an extra 33% premium over the Punto? The Munshiji in me says Linea is overpriced by about Rs. 1 Lac. Plus, used car dealers just don't care about features like leather interiors, sunroof, electrical gadgets on the Optra - all they look at is year of manufacture and the number of kms done.

Last edited by smartcat : 27th April 2010 at 01:41.
smartcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 01:43   #708
MX6
Senior - BHPian
 
MX6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: City of seven islands.
Posts: 2,882
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

when smartkitten arrives, you'd need more boot space if you intend to write more travelogues.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 02:13   #709
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Benga'loo'ru
Posts: 290
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
My head is full of calculations like next 100,000 kms divided by 20 km/litre (diesel mileage on highways) = 5000 litres multiplied by Rs. 40 (diesel cost) and so on.
I think more than this, you should use the calculator for evaluating your Optra's price and either 1 should exist on T-BHP, the travelogue or classified for your car's sale. Both at the same time will make you use the calculator more
Ranjan Sharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 05:35   #710
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,694
Thanked: 2,115 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
when smartkitten arrives, you'd need more boot space if you intend to write more travelogues.
+100 or infiniti to this

@Smartcat, trust me, you'll need a bigger boot; I use a WagonR for a family of four & as of now, we don't have big issues as both our children are less than 3. The last trip that we did to Coorg had 2 of my cousin (14 & 16) in addition to 4 & yes, we had a little tough time in the boot to accomodate our stuffs. Had my Mother agreed to join the trip, I should've probably let the car drive by itself.

In a way Punto could be just sufficient for you now, provided you 3 are the only riders, but in course of time, you may have to change.

OT - Do you still believe that Tata can do a good service to Fiat? Fiat & Tata = Garland in Monkey's hands
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 06:18   #711
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,604
Thanked: 8,594 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post

Lessons We Learn't After This Accident:

- Never drive on an empty stomach. We didn't have breakfast before leaving. Empty stomach reduces concentration.

km/hr.
Never drive on an empty stomach, but also never drive on a loaded stomach. Eat light. In fact Holmes (Conan Doyle) said:

"Faculties become refined, when you starve them!"

With a loaded stomach you can become lethargic, which also can lead to lapse in concentration.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 08:35   #712
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,694
Thanked: 2,115 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post

1) I don't have enough money.

3) I took a wonderful lesson in something called "depreciation" after the Optra ownership. Big car = big money = big depreciation = low resale value.
@Smartcat - On a different note, I thought, why not you retain your beloved Optra instead of upgrading? I'm sure you would've come across this thread (ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?) much earlier than me. I see two things
1. Respect the sentiments on ME 1979
2. You spend even less maintaining the old car than buying a new car
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 10:39   #713
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Karnal
Posts: 264
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Never drive on an empty stomach, but also never drive on a loaded stomach. Eat light. In fact Holmes (Conan Doyle) said:

"Faculties become refined, when you starve them!"

With a loaded stomach you can become lethargic, which also can lead to lapse in concentration.
Yes, over-eating can cause drowsiness while driving and that can lead to a horrible mistake. I'm one of the supporters of the "eat less" or even "empty-stomach driving" school of thought.

In fact, I've grown up watching an excellent driver, who used to drive for my father's work-place. This guy was too good and very experienced and yet he never took chances, always refused to eat anything before reaching the end destination.
Akadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 10:59   #714
BHPian
 
ranjith.rajaram's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pune >> Bangalore
Posts: 355
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Itís hard to take a call in sealing a bike/car, I always feel that they are a part of family. Any way decision is yours but as MX6 said take a call on the boot space.

I did love your Optra .
ranjith.rajaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 11:27   #715
Distinguished - BHPian
 
smartcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,973
Thanked: 11,921 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
when smartkitten arrives, you'd need more boot space if you intend to write more travelogues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjith.rajaram View Post
It’s hard to take a call in sealing a bike/car, I always feel that they are a part of family. Any way decision is yours but as MX6 said take a call on the boot space.
Jagga's Palio has a 260 litre boot (as against Optra's 405), but we never felt constrained as such. I guess our minds make a note that we will be taking the Palio this time, and we automatically pack a little less. And when we decide to take the Optra, we pack a whole lot of stuff, some of them we don't use.

Punto meanwhile has a 280 litre boot (bigger than Palio, and a lot bigger than normal hatchbacks like Swift/Indica/Vista - all in 220 litre range). Plus since it is a hatchback, I can remove the parcel tray and stack luggage vertically. For eg, 3/4th of a bag could be inside the boot and 1/4th of the luggage bag could be over the backseats (so that the luggage bag doesn't become a missile in the event of a collision).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
I think more than this, you should use the calculator for evaluating your Optra's price
No calculator required here. I need to get the price I want - if it gets a buyer, I'm happy. If it doesn't get a buyer, I would still be happy - I'm not exactly in a tearing hurry to sell the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I use a WagonR for a family of four & as of now, we don't have big issues as both our children are less than 3. The last trip that we did to Coorg had 2 of my cousin (14 & 16) in addition to 4 & yes, we had a little tough time in the boot to accomodate our stuffs. Had my Mother agreed to join the trip, I should've probably let the car drive by itself.
We have a Santro & an Alto in the family - so we'll go in a procession if required. Family trips are quite rare though.

Quote:
@Smartcat, trust me, you'll need a bigger boot; In a way Punto could be just sufficient for you now, provided you 3 are the only riders, but in course of time, you may have to change.
Aha! By that time, large number of used Tata Aria with 4WD will be the market. I intend to drive in with a Punto and drive out with an Aria then.

But I've really given a serious thought to this boot business. By going for a diesel, I'm thinking with my head rather than my heart. So I'm like - why not go the whole way and buy myself a Manza. 460 litre boot, Fiat engine which is tuned for better highway mileage, lots of electrical gadegets and priced slightly above the Punto Emotion Pack. I intend to take a test drive of the Manza.

However, the looks put me off - looks quite odd from some angles. Also, the steering mounted audio controls on the Manza go ticki ticki ticki - like a toy. But black colour tends to mask shape, and black 15 inch alloys should do a lot to improve the looks.

I'm also in the market for an used -

Skoda Octavia L&K
Toyota Innova top end diesel

My minimum requirements are -

- Diesel engine
- Steering mounted audio controls
- Dual airbags & ABS.

But since I'm very fussy about the car colour, I don't think I'll be successful in finding an used car that meets my requirements.

Quote:
OT - Do you still believe that Tata can do a good service to Fiat? Fiat & Tata = Garland in Monkey's hands
- Chevrolet's service can be best described by this emoticon
- My dad hates Hyundai's service so much that he prefers servicing his Santro at a friendly neighborhood mechanic.
- My brother's Alto is acting funny AFTER giving his car for servicing at Maruti service station.
- A friend of mine who owns a Maruti, Tata & a Hyundai rates Tata as No. 1 in service department.
- Jagga's Palio and my cousin's Palio go to Fiat/Tata service station, and they are reporting "OK" service experiences (not too great but not too bad either).

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Smartcat - On a different note, I thought, why not you retain your beloved Optra instead of upgrading? I'm sure you would've come across this thread (ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?) much earlier than me. I see two things
1. Respect the sentiments on ME 1979
2. You spend even less maintaining the old car than buying a new car
Yes, yes - that logic makes lot of sense from a pure financial point of view. But it doesn't cover the safety aspect - I thought it would be nice to have a car with dual airbags & ABS.
smartcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 11:54   #716
MX6
Senior - BHPian
 
MX6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: City of seven islands.
Posts: 2,882
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
+100 or infiniti to this

@Smartcat, trust me, you'll need a bigger boot; I use a WagonR for a family of four & as of now, we don't have big issues as both our children are less than 3. The last trip that we did to Coorg had 2 of my cousin (14 & 16) in addition to 4 & yes, we had a little tough time in the boot to accomodate our stuffs. Had my Mother agreed to join the trip, I should've probably let the car drive by itself.

In a way Punto could be just sufficient for you now, provided you 3 are the only riders, but in course of time, you may have to change.

OT - Do you still believe that Tata can do a good service to Fiat? Fiat & Tata = Garland in Monkey's hands
No car seats on a trip to coorg from chennai with two kids under 3?
The law doesn't enforce it. But I guess you know the implications best!
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 12:19   #717
Senior - BHPian
 
sushrutha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chikmagalur/Ban
Posts: 1,702
Thanked: 324 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
So I'm like - why not go the whole way and buy myself a Manza.
However, the looks put me off - looks quite odd from some angles.
Manza would have been a right choice for you. Quite VFM. But Even I don't like the look of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I'm also in the market for an used -

Skoda Octavia L&K
Toyota Innova top end diesel

My minimum requirements are -

- Diesel engine
- Steering mounted audio controls
- Dual airbags & ABS.

I thought it would be nice to have a car with dual airbags & ABS.
If you like the looks of Swift DZire , Close your eyes and buy DZire ZDi. It has all the features you have mentioned and under 8L OTR.
Fantastic engine + excellent mileage (Diesel)+ super Resale value
Else an used Innova.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 12:32   #718
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,694
Thanked: 2,115 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
No car seats on a trip to coorg from chennai with two kids under 3?
The law doesn't enforce it. But I guess you know the implications best!
Boy, I don't have a car seat nor did find someone who could donate/lend me one. Besides, I need to buy two of them & let both my cousins cling on to the roof
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 12:45   #719
MX6
Senior - BHPian
 
MX6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: City of seven islands.
Posts: 2,882
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

Enough of OT. SC has made up his mind on his car. Let's leave it at that. When are you unveiling the cavemen Mr. Hobbes?
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 12:49   #720
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,604
Thanked: 8,594 Times
Default

I looked at the site of the place. Is it some kind of a weekend resort?
The site says its some where on the Kanakpura road.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Indian highways: When to hit 100+? anku94 Street Experiences 153 16th February 2016 17:33
Treks around Mumbai: Karnala Bird Sanctuary & Kalavantin Durg PGNarain Travelogues 17 18th December 2014 13:27
Of treks, tea plantations and temples carZest Travelogues 8 2nd July 2010 06:48
Mother of all treks MX6 Travelogues 32 14th May 2010 10:05
Scorpio CRDe @ 70,000 kms! 5,000 of Agony & 65,000 of bliss smats Long-Term Ownership Reviews 17 8th May 2010 17:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:15.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks