Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 17th February 2010, 21:51   #1
BHPian

Smile Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive

Hello,
This was the most indecisive trip I had ever been to. This will be a long post. So please excuse. My cousin suggested a weekend drive on 30th - 31st Jan 2010 and I was ready to start. So got my Xeta serviced on 23rd at Autofin., Bowenpally and filled in full tank at Shell @ 56.95 per litre.

Cars: Indica Xeta GLS and Indica DLS
Distance Traveled (Both ways): ~470 Km
Info: Srisailam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Route Taken: Shamshabad - Kadthal - Dindi - Mannanur - Srisailam

Map
: Courtesy: Google India Maps
Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-map.png

Map Markers:
  • A - Hyderabad
  • B - Kadthal, Mahabubnagar, Andhra Pradesh
  • C - Amangal
  • D - Dindi
  • E - Uma Maheswaram
  • F - Srisailam
Preface: As mentioned before, this was the most indecisive trip. As I came back from Autofin after getting my Xeta serviced, I came to know my Uncle who was also supposed to be coming with us met with an accident and had his leg sprained badly. So I thought of postponing the trip to the next possible weekend if my uncle don't get better in a few days. Luckily by Sat, he was fit for doing the trip.

Also I wanted to go to this trip equipped with GPS and my laptop as a test run for our multi-state tour scheduled for Nov 2010. So I started looking for various gadgets and finally decided on GlobalSat ND-100 USB GPS. I wanted to originally buy this one here in Hyderabad but could not find it anywhere in CTC or elsewhere. So had to order it on eBay and get it shipped from Taiwan. The seller promptly shipped the next day and I was looking at their Postal Website tracking page which did not have any update after the item left Taiwan, thanks to IndiaPost which does not share details with other postal services. I did not receive it until Friday and the shipment came just few hours after we left for Srisailam (later got the info about this on Monday from our watchman) and collected it on Monday after we returned but that's another story.

I was not sure if I could manage to finish the project I am working on by Sat and this was another worry. But considering Maha Shivaratri is nearing, a lot of people would be coming to Srisailam and it would be fully packed the next weekend onwards, we decided to go ahead with the trip on 30th Jan 2010 anyway.

Day 1: On 30th Jan 2010, we started at 6:25 AM (delayed by 40 min from original plan) and reached the backside of Shamshabad Intl. Airport by 7 AM where we waited for my cousin's family to join us. The road condition was great until Owaisi Hospital and started to get worse but were again good as we reached the backside of the airport. Road widening works were still in progress.

Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-1.jpg

We resumed our journey at 7:30 AM and stopped for breakfast around 8 after crossing Thukkuguda. The FM radio signals started to die from this point onwards. The roadside was completely empty with no signs of a decent dhaba or hotel. So we had to stop by the roadside on the left and had our breakfast. We also had a special guest with us for breakfast. So after having our breakfast and feeding the guest, we resumed our journey. At this time, we are delayed by 30 minutes and had decided to skip Maisigandi Maisamma temple.

Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-2.jpg

There are a few bad stretches after crossing Kadthal for about 30 Km and we also had to take about 2 or 3 diversions, thanks to the condition of the roads and the ongoing T agitations. These morons blocked the highway somewhere around Thandra and Dindi town. The roads were good up to Dindi reservoir from Amangal and could easily do 90 - 100. There was literally no traffic for the entire highway we could see on both sides. We reached Dindi reservoir at 10:50 and we stopped for capturing the reservoir view.

Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-3.jpg

From there we proceeded to Uma Maheswaram temple. The scenario changed and the local farmers started using the highways as crushers to crush their produce and there were cows and goats blocking the highway every few minutes. After scaling the ghat section, we reached on top of Uma Maheswaram and had darshan of Lord Shiva in the temple which was probably built out of a cave? There were quite a number of monkeys on the hill and there was a water stream as well known as Papanasanam where water comes out underneath the huge rocks at the same rate all through the year. The ghat section here was a sample of what we are about to scale on the way to Srisailam.

Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-4.jpg

Then we proceeded towards Srisailam and reached Mannanur checkpost around 1 PM. After entering our details in their log book and paying the chai paisa at two places, we continued to scale the ghats. It was a great experience climbing up the ghats. After 60 Km of pure ghats, we reached Domalapenta and soon the dam site. We stopped by few places on the top for view of the Krishna river and Dam.

Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-5.jpg

We came across a Tipper Lorry taking load full of construction material to help the ongoing road works somewhere on the way to temple. The driver was very careful in negotiating the turns and did not seem to go beyond 10 Kmph at any point.

Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-6.jpg

Finally, we reached the hill top and parked the cars and had lunch at Hotel Ilapuram around 2 PM. Food was good but there were no A/c or even fan Just after coming back from hotel, we saw the front tyre of my cousin's Indica had gone flat. We are glad it was on the top and not anywhere on the ghat section. After having a small nap and getting the puncture repaired about 5, we went to get Kalyanam tickets at the temple counter. Each ticket costs Rs 500 and the strange part is Kalyanam here at Srisailam happens at night 7 PM. After getting refreshed, we reached temple at 6:45 PM. I managed to sneak in our Sony Full HD camcorder easily. Photos are banned inside the main temple. So no photos there but I did take few seconds of video at the other temple where the Kalyanam happens. The ironic part is they don't allow photos and videos for personal use but allow the media guys to shoot as much as they want and even broadcast live. The entire Kalyanam was live on all telugu news channels on the night of Maha Shivaratri.

We came out about 9:30 after having the darshan. The darshan was quick - took us about 15 to 20 min at Mallikarjuna Swamy temple and another 15 minutes at Brahmarambha Devi temple. As we came outside the temple, we noticed the 2 of 8 pairs of footwear left outside the temple premises was stolen. There is just only one footwear shop on the entire hill top at the Bus Stand which was closed by this time. So my mom and aunt had to walk barefoot back to the hotel. Had dinner and called it a day at 10.

Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-7.jpg

So next time you are visiting the temple, you better leave your footwear either in your car or at the hotel room.

Day 1 Distance: ~250 Km.
Hours Driven:~5 Hours
Day 1 Full HD (1920 x 1080) Video:

Day 2 report will continue shortly.
TrueDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2010, 10:17   #2
BHPian

truedreamer, nice travelogue.

On the map, you can see the place "kalwakurthy" between Amangal and Dindi. Thats my home town. I travel there frequently. Did you go through the town? or did you take the bypass kotra thanda -> Jayaprakash nagar thanda?

Talking about places to eat, there is one "amulu dhaba" between kandukur and kadthal and a few truck-type dhabas in jayaprakash nagar thanda.
highwaylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2010, 10:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Truedreamer,
A very nice coverage of the place so close to my heart and also DKG, thanks for sharing.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2010, 10:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Good pilgrimage tour. Thanks for sharing; I too agree its a funny world that they don't allow your personal cameras, but allow a direct TV live telecast. May be, they want to prohibit from everyone bringing in their own cams & avoid disturbances for the live telecast.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2010, 10:45   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaylover View Post
On the map, you can see the place "kalwakurthy" between Amangal and Dindi. Thats my home town. I travel there frequently. Did you go through the town? or did you take the bypass kotra thanda -> Jayaprakash nagar thanda?
We took the bypass road. Thanks for the tips on places to eat. Will remember this for the next time I pass this way.

Thanks for the comments fazalaliadil and aargee.
Old 18th February 2010, 17:07   #6
BHPian

Smile Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive Day 2 Part 1

Day 2 Part 1:
So woke up at 6 AM and everyone got ready by 7 AM and the first thing in plan was to find the only footwear stop in Srisailam. And after paying 2 x the cost for the footwear, we proceeded to Pathalaganga.

Last time, we went to Srisailam, there was no ropeway and so we wanted to try it this time. So we parked our cars close to the ropeway point and got the tickets for ropeway and boating at the APTDC counter. Two-way tickets for ropeway costs Rs 40 per adult and Rs 30 per adult for boating to Dam site. We just missed the boat which goes to Akka Mahadevi caves (16 Kms from this point) by few minutes and had to settle for Dam site.

Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-1.jpg

Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-2.jpg

There were quite a number of people waiting for their turn to get into the cable cars. The view of River Krishna in between the hills was great from this point.

Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-3.jpg

Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-4.jpg

Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-5.jpg

So we got into the cable cars and it took about 5 minutes to reach the APTDC boating unit. Most of the boats were equipped with Yamaha Enduro 40 Bhp motors and running on LPG and few on diesel.

Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-6.jpg

APTDC Haritha Boat BHRAMRAMBHA we took to the Dam site

Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-7.jpg

Ignition Controls of the boat

Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-8.jpg

Gas tank of the boat

Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-9.jpg

Forward and Reverse Power controllers of the boat

Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-10.jpg

Yamaha Enduro 40 Bhp motor

Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-11.jpg

Boat Driver starting the boat

Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-12.jpg

In no time the boat had reached full occupancy and we started towards the dam.

Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-13.jpg

APTDC guy who verifies the tickets. He has a lot of knowledge about the place and shared a lot of info about the recent floods this dam had received.

Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-14.jpg

Water Waves as the boat cuts through the water

Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-15.jpg

Hills View from the boat

Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-16.jpg

Water level of River Krishna which was flooded just few months ago is very calm now.

Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-17.jpg

Dam and Hydel power supply system view

Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-18.jpg

Closer view of the Srisailam Hydel power supply system

Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-19.jpg

Way to Akka Mahadevi Caves

Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-20.jpg

The boat to Akka Mahadevi caves which we missed by few minutes

Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-21.jpg

Another view of the way to Akka Mahadevi Caves

Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-22.jpg

The place where we parked our cars before taking the ropeway to Pathalaganga.
Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-23.jpg

The Ropeway point uphill from where we come down to pathalaganga. On the otherside to the left, we have the steps as well for those who prefer to come down by walk. You can also take ropeway tickets at the Pathalaganga counter for just one way to uphill. So you can walk down and take ropeway for uphill if you are visiting for the first time.

Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-24.jpg

The view of the cable cars (ropeway) from the boat on the way to the dam.

Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-25.jpg

Day 2 Part 1 Full HD (1920 x 1080) Video:

Day 2 Part 2 report will continue shortly.
Old 21st February 2010, 00:12   #7
BHPian

Smile Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive Day 2 Part 2

Day 2 Part 2:

Some more pics from boating on the way back to Pathalaganga.

Another boat operated by private persons taking to Dam site.

Fisherman trying his luck

Life Jackets here are for the boat and not the people aboard

Driver of the boat

Andhra Pradesh Tourism flag flying high on the banks of Pathalaganga
Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-5.png

Warning board to caution piligrims who may like to have bath at Pathalaganga

AP Tourism board showing its resorts in Kurnool District

It was about 12 by the time we reached back to our cars and went straight to have lunch and checked out after lunch. We then proceeded to Sakshi Ganapathi temple on the way back to Hyderabad.
Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-dsc01341.jpg

After a quick darshan, we proceeded to deer park. The fawn you see in the photo below is just a few days old as per the local sellers.
Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-dsc01345.jpg

The forest department put up a notice asking visitors not to feed anything to to deers inside but the trade continues just in front of the same notice board.
Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-11.jpg

Then we proceeded back to Hyderabad and stopped at Dindi at a hotel. Then one APSRTC bus coming into the Dindi town bus stand hit our parked car resulting in a dent to quarter panel and broken tail light cluster.

Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-12.jpg
Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-13.jpg
Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-14.jpg
Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-15.jpg

Over all it was a great trip. We reached home about 8:30 PM. This accident ruined the pleasure of the trip and a damage of Rs 1403 (after insurance settlement) for the repairs at Autofin and had to be away from my darling for 2 days. But Autofin guys did a great job and does not give anyone a hint of the accident.

Some random pictures
Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-8.jpg
Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-9.jpg
Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-10.jpg
Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-dsc01317.jpg
Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-dsc01332.jpg
Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-dsc01333.jpg

Sunset as seen after Amangal
Shambo Shiva Shambo! Full HD Videologue on Weekend Srisailam and Uma Maheswaram Drive-16.jpg

Day 2 Part 2 Full HD (1920 x 1080) Video:
Old 21st February 2010, 00:26   #8
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Interesting there with the ropecar and the boat trip. So many things happening in India, so little time.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote