Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 19th February 2010, 16:53   #1
BHPian

Default A drive on NH-10

Hi all!

I recently traveled to Sirsa, on the border of Haryana and Punjab, from New Delhi.

Its a journey of about 300 kms, 290 kms, to be precise, all of it on the SO CALLED NATIONAL HIGHWAY in India, and that too, of national importance, from the point of view of Defence of India.

It is the closest way to reach the Indo-Pak border, and has a very big Army cantonment, at Hissar.

The route: New Delhi-Bahadurgarh-Rohtak-Hansi-Hissar-Sirsa.

Typically, the drive should take about 3.5 to 4 hours, but, with the traffic and the pitiable state of the roads, the drive took 6.5 hours from New Delhi to Sirsa.

That too, when the stretch of Hansi-Hissar-Sirsa, about 120 kms, took just 1 hour and 5 minutes.

I am also attaching some photographs taken enroute.

Last edited by deepfusion : 19th February 2010 at 16:53. Reason: photos not attahed
deepfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 17:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for this update.
I heard that the road is being widened and as a result there are lots of detours and construction debris - is that true?
How bad is the passage through the towns - state of the bypasses?
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2010, 09:56   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Thanks for this update.
I heard that the road is being widened and as a result there are lots of detours and construction debris - is that true?
How bad is the passage through the towns - state of the bypasses?
It is absolutely true.

And to add to the discomfort is the fact that the NHAI, responsible for developing the Highway has not even bothered to place suitable notifications warning motorists of the roads closed/diversions.

On 24th December, 09, while going to my home town, Bhiwani, this happened to me. It was seven in the evening. I was driving at around 100 kpl, and there was a diversion which was not notified. All of a sudden, what I discovered was:

I was driving, full speed, towards a ditch, around 15" deep and 10"wide, with steel rods visible, in vertical shape.

I had my kids along and so got so scared that all I could do was to press the brakes hard.

Thanks to the ABS system in teh car, the car did not skid, nor did it overturn, but instead went over the road barriers and electric poles kept there.

With GOd's grace, we all were saved, but the car's suspension got dameged.

This is the plight of the Notional Highways of India.

More so, when you are residing in the National Capital, where Metro, very contrary to the other statutory/autonomous bodies of the Governments, State or Central, has set such standards that you start expecting to get treatment as a normal citizen of the Republic of India, and you are remindeed that you are at teh mercy of these people.
Old 20th February 2010, 10:05   #4
BHPian

I took certain photographs, which I am attaching herewith.

Full page photo print1.pdf

A drive on NH-10-feb10-124.gif

A drive on NH-10-feb10-125.gif

A drive on NH-10-feb10-128.gif

A drive on NH-10-feb10-129.gif

A drive on NH-10-feb10-131.gif

A drive on NH-10-feb10-133.gif

A drive on NH-10-feb10-135.gif

A drive on NH-10-feb10-137.gif

A drive on NH-10-feb10-138.gif

A drive on NH-10-feb10-141.gif
Old 20th February 2010, 10:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
I was driving, full speed, towards a ditch, around 15" deep and 10"wide, with steel rods visible, in vertical shape.
May be they want people coming in from the other side to fall in their ditch traps
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote