Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 7th May 2010, 16:46   #241
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Tony, former musician in Goa, is now CEO of Air Asia.

Malaysian Govt handed him loss making Air Asia for the token price of Rm 1 and rest is the history in global aviation industry.
My mistake Ashish, Information that Tony is from Kerala was told by our airport cabie (Indian) in KL. I could have done a google before posting it here. Thanks for the correct info.. Tony Fernandes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Our low cast carriers shoud learn many lessons from AA
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 20:39   #242
BHPian

Quote:
5] Malaysian immigration officer vs Indian immigration officer.

The officers of both the countries are doing same work but work culture is different.
Thank you Ashish for this witty and from-the-heart travelogue.

It is a sad thing that officers at the airport and even at the railway station in Kerala are quite rude. Probably it is a vestige of their hoary communist mentality. Once when my wife and her father reached the railstation at Trivandrum late in the night, they were harassed by the railways guy on the pretext of carrying excess luggage. After much haggling the old man paid Rs 500 to the man. They were flying out of India. Early next morning, at the airport, they found the luggage well within the limit allowed by Indian Railways!

Once I witnessed another incident at the Trivandrum airport. Just after my flight landed, another one landed from Maldives carrying mostly Indians. People were everywhere in the foyer. Suddenly we could hear some argument between two men. Turning back, I noticed one man was holding a couple of alcohol bottles up in the air. Confronting him was a customs officer. The man was venting his spleen, "You want one bottle? Take both." Saying this, right in front of the dumbstruck crowd, he dropped both bottles on the floor, splattering them. The customs officer made a hasty exit with a sheepish face. It seems he was demanding from the passenger one bottle of alcohol!

Probably all passengers traveling out would have noticed how busy these customs and emigration people are. They are in such a tearing hurry, they just stamp on any which page that they open. Probably you have noticed how carefully the officers at other international airports stamp the passport. They do it so carefully.
lejhoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 20:51   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejhoom View Post

Probably all passengers traveling out would have noticed how busy these customs and emigration people are. They are in such a tearing hurry, they just stamp on any which page that they open. Probably you have noticed how carefully the officers at other international airports stamp the passport. They do it so carefully.
that's because we are an economy of scale. and low margins and high workload.

you may have also seen in the "developed" countries clerk greets you and sometimes makes a small talk when giving you a ticke, while everybody else waits patiently. a railway clerk in mumbai takes on average 2 seconds per passenger to dispense a local train ticket.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 10:41   #244
BHPian

Ashish Sir, this is such a good travelogue for people who want to visit KL.

Any one travelling to KL can just blinding follow your schedule to cover their trip. Infact the details on how much you spent on park's/ferries were such good source of information while travelling.

Anyhow I travelled along with you to KL for a short couple of hours (Free of cost ), excellent narration and photographs. You get a 5*.
ranjith.rajaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 10:55   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejhoom View Post
Thank you Ashish for this witty and from-the-heart travelogue.
thanks lejhoom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
that's because we are an economy of scale. and low margins and high workload.
workload factor may be true in some cases.
i have seen the lines overflowing and clerks chit chatting with their colegues without any worry about the people in line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjith.rajaram View Post
Ashish Sir, this is such a good travelogue for people who want to visit KL.
thanks ranjit.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 15:50   #246
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: 15 RAJABABUes in Malaysia and Singapore

Ashish, am reaching this thread more than a year too late but it is quite simply one of the best travelogues I have read on T-BHP (and elsewhere)! You have proved that it's not fancy words and perfect grammar that makes for good story-telling. Don't take that the wrong way- it's a compliment!

I have lived in Singapore and made enough trips across the Causeway to call Malaysia "home" too. First time I went there (Sepang GP 2005) I was shocked at how clean and green everything was- for some reason I had pegged South East Asia to be a dirty place! Your travelogue brought back the open-muthed wonder of experiencing the place first-hand for the first time.

Loved your attention to detail while planning the trip as well. I am a big believer in self-planned itineraries as opposed to package tours and this was a great example of one planned perfectly.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 17:18   #247
Senior - BHPian

@noopster,

Thanks for compliments!!

Its more than one year when we visited Malaysia but memory of that trip is still fresh.

I am going to read this story once again for self joy!!!
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 16:29   #248
Senior - BHPian

Ashish saaheb, that was one fabulous travelogue. You have managed to put up a lot of pictures; I must ask you which internet connection you use! How did you find the food there? Was it ok for the veggies?

I have always been on self planned trips, somehow could not do with a set schedule. I never even took estimates of how much people charge for organised trips. Though I had an idea they would be costlier, now I get an idea by how much more! I feel better that I saved more money than I thought
selfdrive is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2011, 01:09   #249
BHPian

This is absolutely splendid

I'm planning for MY & SG in the second half of this year. Going through the thread already took me through a visual. Its very detail.

I've made a note of all the people who visited these places & I'm going to reach out to you all to get all other additional details

Thanks
mail2vm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 23:46   #250
Senior - BHPian

Mr.AShish great travelogue. It is timely one for me. When I was exploring things like you I got your thread going to be a real help. I am planning for January trip with offer from Tiger Air to Singapore for 107 US$ or Air asia to Chennai KL for 5338. Hotels on the search.
navan49 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 23:27   #251
Senior - BHPian

I need some more information. Finally I have made my itinerary as 9th Feb Chennai Singapore and landing on 10th Feb at 6.40 Am and will leave to Hongkong on 10th at 13.40. Do I need a visa to Singapore? I will be back to Singapore on 16th Februay and will tour till19th february and leave at 10 Am to KL and will come back To SIngapore on 22nd. Do I need visa to enter from Honkong and to enter from Malaysia? Can I get all the multiple visas at one go in India. The reasons for Singapore 4 entries is the airline Tigerairways is the only convenient for me @ Rs 14700 for all these places.Please help me in the next stage of Visa formalities.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 00:06   #252
Senior - BHPian

This thread was a great help for my trip to Kl,Hongkong, Macau and Singapore. With the help of the threads I could budget and visit Kualalumpur, Hongkong, Macau and Singapore in 12 days with in the expenditure of Rs.60271. This amount includes Visa,Travel insurance,20kg luggage and ticket fromChennai-Kl-Hk-Macau=Hk-Singapore - Chennai.Also includes the entry fee to all the places and gift to friends.Only one meal at friend's house. All the 12 days stay were in moderate hotels. Travel by Public transport Except Changi Airport Singapore Changi Airport and KL Sentral to Pudu and KL sentral Rest every where MRT and buses were used. One can easily make a trip to Malaysia with in 20000 for 4 days.I will write more on budget here and already started the travelogue in other thread.

Last edited by navan49 : 25th March 2012 at 00:08.
navan49 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 18:45   #253
Senior - BHPian

Once again planning for a trip. It may be in September or in January. The proposed places to visit are Thailand capital Bangkok and trip by train to Malaysia. Malaysia places to be included are Penang and Langkawi, From there by road to Singapore and to Indonesia and back to Chennai. Looking for suggestions and planning from our experience team-bhp members. It is also going to be an independent tour with out agents.In the mean time if there are any interested people to join are welcome either one or three. If the number is two it is comfortable to share a double room if four it will be comfortable to share two double rooms and a one taxi where ever required.Thanks in advance. The trip will be from Chennai and back to Chennai.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 15:35   #254
BHPian

Superb narration and very nice pics.

I completed all the pages at one go today and was pleasantly surprised to see the total cost of the tour. It clearly demonstrates what meticulous planning and clear vision can achieve.

Qudos to you and hope you and your 14 Rajababus make many more such memorable trips in future.
arunu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2012, 23:34   #255
BHPian

Quote:
thanks lejhoom.

workload factor may be true in some cases.
i have seen the lines overflowing and clerks chit chatting with their colegues without any worry about the people in line.

thanks ranjit.
Hi there,

Excellent travelogue. Especially for those of us who are planning their maiden visit abroad. Thanks for it.

Can you point me to the post where you have posted the expenditure details of the trip please. I have not been able to trace it.

Thanks once again.

Edit: - I saw this just now.

Quote:
Break up of the cost per pax
--------------------rs-------- %
air fare------------9504.8------ 40
hotel stay---------5265.7------ 22
visa+==-----------3177.1------ 13
entrance----------2571.0------ 11
taxi+monorail+mrt--2010.4------ 8
train+bus[india]----1274.0------ 5
other-------------- 75.0------ 1

total-------------- 23878-------100%
Have you given day-wise and item-wise expenditure table somewhere?

Thanks.

Last edited by skdking : 21st September 2012 at 23:48.
skdking is offline   Reply With Quote