Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 26th February 2010, 18:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hi Advait,

Let me be honest here. Last several travelogues and the photographs within them have been giving me some feeling. Your photographs have told me what that feeling is. They are telling me

Quote:
"Star, Take a long break from what ever photoshooting you do, get refreshed, learn basics from the guru's in the forum, buy a better camera, most importantly develop a bit more patience..
fantastic snaps there, especially the one with the winding road disecting the forest and the flower

looking forward to your next post..
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 19:10   #17
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful Macro shot, Advait! Keep the photos flowing!
Chevy_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 19:19   #18
BHPian

Visiting Taman Negara

DAY 1
I have been planning my visit to Taman Negara for close to 5 months, and finally, I decided to pack my bag and head for the forest. I visited Han Travels and booked 3 days 2 nights package, which includes return bus transportation to KL, fan hostel accommodation, meals for 3 days and guide.

The travel to the forest was made comfortable thanks to comfortable coaches arranged by Han Travels. The bus departs everyday from travel office in Chinatown, KL at 8.30 am. It reaches Jerantut Jetty around 12 noon. Food is arranged here at Ghazali Restaurant. As said earlier donít expect a great food. It is basic fried rice or noodles, made with vegetarian or non-veg ingredients based on your choice, served with hot or cold drinks. I feasted on the fried rice with curried prawns with mangosteen juice. Mangosteen is a local fruit, a bit sweet in taste and size of a tomato. For more information on the fruit, you may visit www.mangosteen.com. With my stomach full, I awaited my turn for onwards journey.
Note : I am not related to this site or any contents directly or indirectly. Site is quoted only for reference.

Due to my itinerary for the day ahead, I was arranged a van from Jerantut to Taman Negara. Itís a one hour journey by road, amidst oil palm plantations. Hardly any vehicle passed throughout the road, and with a scenic winding road, it made it all the more exciting. I could see various species of monkeys, squirrels, birds, giant lizard among many others. And I had for the first time, seen the oil palm fruit. Itís basically a bunch of small fruits. The driver told me about the process how the oil is extracted from the palm fruits. Each bunch (of fruits) is almost 10 kg in weight, and each tree has more than 20 fruits at a time. It was a fascinating journey amidst plantation.

I reached Taman Negara, in a small town called Tahan, and checked into the Tahan Guest House. Itís a basic accommodation, typically for the backpackers, with basic necessities like bed, small bathroom, and fan. I was amazed to find out that my mobile network was working fine in the middle of the forest. I had to report for my next activities at 3.00 pm, so got fresh and proceeded towards Tahan Jetty. My guide was ready with other fellow travelers, and we proceeded on the boat. All the journeys are via Terengganu River in a boat, children use ferry to go to school, daily vegetables and groceries are transported through boat, and even kitchen waste is carried out through boat.

After getting down the boat on the other side of the river bank, guide gave us briefing. The next activity was cave exploration. Itís a dark cave and having torch is a must to enter cave. The cave is a permanent residence of bats, small snakes, and other creepy creatures. Thankfully none of them are poisonous. We had to literally use hands, legs, bums and every other possible body parts to navigate through the cave. It is meant for lean persons, and heavily built people better stay out. The ground is slippery (well, there is no firm ground actually, somewhere rocks, somewhere water and somewhere only bats leisurely hanging around (pun intended). I saw a small snake enjoying the feast, it just captured, a giant rat. This cave is almost a kilometer in length, and only twice I had a place to stand fully on my feet, all other times, I was crawling, or sliding through watery rocks. I would suggest to wear full pants and full t-shirt to avoid bites and bruises.

After spending almost two hours trekking in the hills and crawling in the cave, I came back to the jetty restaurant fully exhausted. Had a nice food (for a change, sandwich was available) and got ready for more action. Next program was night jungle walk. Of course, carrying torch is a must. I had a chance to see many different insect and bird types in their natural habitat. I had seen scorpions, species of tarantula spider, stick insects and many more. It was almost 2 km walk in dark forest, and only sound coming was of wind blowing through woods and crickets calling their partners for a mating season. The guide told us that stick insects, engage in mating for nearly three weeks and after that, female kills the male, hides the eggs on tree branches and leaves the eggs and newborns to themselves. Thats interesting

Fully exhausted with morning journey and activities later in the day, I headed towards the guest house. The next day had much more in store for me.

Day2 next to come.

Till that time, enjoy Day1 photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Taman Negara - Getting Closer to Mother Nature-oil_palm_fruit.jpg  

Taman Negara - Getting Closer to Mother Nature-gua_telinga.jpg  

Taman Negara - Getting Closer to Mother Nature-dark_cave_inside_out_view.jpg  

Taman Negara - Getting Closer to Mother Nature-rare_chance_tobe_on_myfeet_in_thecave.jpg  

Taman Negara - Getting Closer to Mother Nature-bats.jpg  

Taman Negara - Getting Closer to Mother Nature-brown_leech.jpg  

advaitlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 21:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

Great pics dude!
BTW, the word 'closure' in the thread title needs to be edited to closer.
Jayabusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 23:06   #20
BHPian

Beatiful! Thanks for sharing.
akbaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 11:48   #21
BHPian

Thanks for pointing it Jayabusa. That was terrible .

Mods - can you please edit the title to read "Taman Negara - Getting Closer to Mother Nature". Thanks.
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:19   #22
BHPian

Note 1: Following the best practice of Chevy_Lover and other avid travellers, please hover the mouse on the image to get tool tip for image name.

Note 2 : I want the title of the thread changed so that word "closure" be replaced with "closer". How to do that? Please let me know if anyone is aware of it.

There is some problem while posting images; the network is very slow. Day2 activities will follow soon.

Last edited by advaitlele : 2nd March 2010 at 10:20.
Old 2nd March 2010, 12:19   #23
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
I want the title of the thread changed so that word "closure" be replaced with "closer". How to do that?
Notice the little red triangle on your lower left in every post? Click that (report post icon) and send a request to the mods
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 22:10   #24
BHPian

Thanks all for the patience. Seems internet is working fine again. Hopefully I can attach a few more pics.

Star - That was quite a generous comment. I am humbled.
DKG - Thanks for advice. I got the thread name corrected.
Sudev, MX6, Akbaree - Thanks for appreciating. Here are a few more.
CL - Here are few more Day 1 photos.

The night shots of insects were taken without tripod. I was still new to photography and new to my camera - about 2 months old that time. So only a few "good" quality photos for this travel. I am still yet to come to grips to the terms like "ISO setting" and likes.

I will post Day2 log after the limit of 20 mins is over.
Attached Thumbnails
Taman Negara - Getting Closer to Mother Nature-canyou_spot_an_owl.jpg  

Taman Negara - Getting Closer to Mother Nature-caterpillar_meets_tree_insect.jpg  

Taman Negara - Getting Closer to Mother Nature-stick_insect.jpg  

Taman Negara - Getting Closer to Mother Nature-tarantulaspider_asianvariety.jpg  

Taman Negara - Getting Closer to Mother Nature-tree_insect.jpg