Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 9th March 2010, 15:52   #16
BHPian

Dude there are lot more things to see in Yelagiri than people know about. I go there thrice a month as we have a gated community project there and in the last three years my bro and me have found lota trekking points and lakes. Infact soon you might even have a golf course there. Yelagiri can only get better and its the closest hill station for us in Chennai. For people who are planning trips to Yelagiri dont stop yourself from driving around in the narrow roads past the main town...its a lota fun but you can always find your way back. You will find lot of interesting things like Panchayats etc. which we city folks never get to see.
redsfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 16:16   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsfx View Post
Dude there are lot more things to see in Yelagiri than people know about. I go there thrice a month as we have a gated community project there and in the last three years my bro and me have found lota trekking points and lakes. Infact soon you might even have a golf course there. Yelagiri can only get better and its the closest hill station for us in Chennai. For people who are planning trips to Yelagiri dont stop yourself from driving around in the narrow roads past the main town...its a lota fun but you can always find your way back. You will find lot of interesting things like Panchayats etc. which we city folks never get to see.
Good to know that more things are coming up there.

During my trip, boredom got to me, and I did you suggested. Took the car around, started following a private bus. Went some 8 KMs behind the bus into the country side.

Country side is different - very calm and serene. But after a while, family got little scared as it was getting very lonely with dense vegetation around. Hence had to return.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 16:35   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsfx View Post
Sir, can you post a detailed write-up on this? Waiting for the same.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 12:30   #19
BHPian

There are several trekking spots other than swamimalai which can be explored in Yelagiri. You need a local to take you to these spots or you will tend to get lost.You will find a water body or water fall in these places. I have been to few of these places but never remember the names of these places. Will try finding out a few names this weekend when i am there. Nights are the best time to walk around(lot of people are very very scared to venture out in the dark..i mean reallly really dark). Yelagiri is still untouched by tourists(snakes still venture out onto the roads in the nights). Remember to drag your feet while walking in the dark. Try catching hold of a local and pay him 100 bucks and am sure he will take you around. I will keep updating this thread once am back from my Yelagiri trip this weekend.

Last edited by redsfx : 12th March 2010 at 12:32.
redsfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 16:59   #20
Team-BHP Support

Just came back from a lazy drive to the place for a night. Stayed at Landmark. The hotel is well done for a decent price (bit high). Food was OK. Roads till Vanyambadi are not worth a mention. State highway till the foothill and the road to the hills are very good. As there was a baby, did not go around much, but for the lake and the park with the musical fountain (which had no harmony between music and the fountain). But still worth a place for a lazy weekend.

The roads from the state highway into the hills are not marked on the maps. Got my GPS track logs to report later to cart the map.

Overall, good nice weekend fun.

Another thing I got to see was a Ford Figo running on the Ghats !
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote