Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 13th March 2010, 07:51   #31
BHPian

Exclamation Misinfirmation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotstuff View Post

Our first stop was going to be Doddabetta peak, which is the highest point in South India. Asked for directions and we were on our way. Enroute, you can see a few spot which give us a glimpse of what Ooty once was...

Attachment 305633

Contd...

That is some serious misinformation by the TN Tourism Development Corp. Ltd.
It's Anamudi that's the highest peak in south India at 8842 ft. It is located in the Eravikulam National Park in Kerala.
smashnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2010, 09:21   #32
Team-BHP Support

Classic snaps of the train. Really loved it. Last I went, I did not take the train. How does one need to book these tickets? Is it through IRCTC?
CL had mentioned in his posts, that he had to really scramble for tickets.

Will take a day off for this alone!

Last edited by ampere : 13th March 2010 at 09:27.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2010, 09:32   #33
BHPian

Always lovely to read your travelogues and view the lovely pics that accompany them Sanjay ! Was actually wondering whether I had missed any travelogues from you since I have been a little busy with work these days. BTW - I too was in Ooty for about a week during the end of this Feb to March 5th. Went in the Omni and through Masinigudi both ways, I guess it is now an official 'two way' since no cops even bothered to stop us this time round ! Road conditions for most part was excellent except for some parts in the town of Ooty especially the road to the bus stand from the Ooty railway station which was dug up when we were there and going to the South part of Ooty meant we had to take a long diversion either around the lake or by going well into the commercial part of town. Has this road reopened ?
kannan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2010, 11:02   #34
BHPian

Smile Thanks!

srikanthpotluri
mjothi
anshurao
StarVegabond
smartcat
pjbiju
Fordmanchau
MX6
akroy
dreamdiesel
smashnerd
ampere
kannan666

Thank you all for your comments and appreciation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthpotluri View Post
which camera do you use?
Sangeetha uses a Panasonic Lumix ZS1 and I use a Lumix FZ28.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
The train ride is really awesome. Its still in my list and could not do the previous 2 times. Both the times, it was stopped when I went
I understand that the trains from Mettupalyam have been stopped since last years landslides and even prior to that there were some prolonged disruptions due to some maintenance work. Full services from Mettupalyam to Ooty are supposed to start from sometime in April 2010 onwards. The full trip spanning 4+ hours should be a really great experience thanks to the steep inclines etc. It would be really worthwhile to set aside a day to go down to M'palyam and take the train back all the way to Ooty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
i am yet to figure out how to post the pictures in between the text i tried several times, but not successful, i went through the guidelines posted here, asked few friends on the forum. but still not successful.i think, i am missing the forest while searching for the trees.
To attach a file to a new post, simply click the [Manage Attachments] button at the bottom of the post composition form or the Small paper clip icon at the top (both are same), and locate the files that you want to attach from your local hard drive.

Once you have uploaded the files, write your text and click on the 'Paper-clip' icon to get a drop down list of all the uploaded images. If you want them inserted into the text area instead of displayed at the bottom of your posting, you can position your cursor in the text where you want a photo, then click the paper-clip on the toolbar and select the photo you want to go where your cursor is positioned.

You will not see the photos there until you preview or submit your posting. What you will see are attach codes, that look like
[ ATTACH]123456[/ATTACH]
positioned where the photos will appear.

Any images not specifically inserted anywhere in your text will get displayed by default at the bottom of your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
hotstuff, are you sure Ooty sewage goes into the Lake? Maybe I don't have a sharp nose, but I didn't smell anything funny at the Lake.
While driving towards Ooty lake boat house, just before the lake area begins, you can see a big sewer / drain on your left side (At this time of the year it announces its presence through a lot of stink.). This was probably a stream or storm water drain (Kodappamund Channel (?)) into which sewage is being dumped since the channel passes through the town area. As soon as the lake begins, you can see that a significant stretch of the lake is ultra polluted, with sewage, floating garbage etc. I did not observe carefully, but there seems to be some netting put near the water's surface to prevent the floating garbage from moving into the boating area. During and after the rains, when there is adequate dilution, the lake probably does not smell as bad.
More info about the sources of the pollution in Ooty lake is available here: Limnology of Lakes, Reservoirs, Wetlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
...if not Ooty, we will tilt towards yercaud. lets see. BTW what date was your anniversary ?
Sounds like a good plan. Have a safe and enjoyable trip and dont forget to post a travelogue. Anniversary was on 6th March..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
photograph 12.jpg is mind blowing. And the brotherly love the horse showed to the other steed (bike) was very good.
:-) Interesting observation and interpretation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
...But the pleasant surprise comes from lokaruchi, When did they start serving Buffet?
I think the buffet breakfast started a few months ago, saw it for the fist time in Jan 2010. Though the regular service starts at around 6.30am, buffet breakfast starts only by around 7.15am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
...Yes, the parking fees near the Ooty Botanical Garden is pretty steep. I usually park the car on the road towards the Botanical Garden near the theatre...
I noticed the fees only after Turning into the parking area. Next time I will be a little wiser and park somewhere outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd View Post
That is some serious misinformation by the TN Tourism Development Corp. Ltd.It's Anamudi that's the highest peak in south India at 8842 ft. It is located in the Eravikulam National Park in Kerala.
Interesting, even the Wikipage provides similar details that Anamudi is the highest point in peninsular India, with an elevation of 8,842 ft.
Anamudi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Whereas Doddabetta at 8652 ft is mentioned as only the highest peak in the Nilgiris.
Doddabetta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The TDC board on Doddabetta mentions 8,640 ft, but still claims that this is the highest peak in south India.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...coonoor-29.jpg
I think the board can be corrected a little to state that Doddabetta is the highest peak in south India that is accessible by car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Classic snaps of the train. Really loved it. Last I went, I did not take the train. How does one need to book these tickets? Is it through IRCTC?CL had mentioned in his posts, that he had to really scramble for tickets.
Tickets were quite easy to book via IRCTC or via Cleartrip (Which is linked to IRCTC). But I could see only the Ooty to Coonoor options, the return trips were all greyed out stating 'train cancelled', whereas the train was actually running both ways between Ooty & CNR. As mentioned, first class tickets cost me around Rs.125 per head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
...Went in the Omni and through Masinigudi both ways, I guess it is now an official 'two way' since no cops even bothered to stop us this time round !
We did see quite a few cars coming down via the M'gudi route while we were going up... on the evening of the 8th while driving past the M'gudi turn (The junction where the M'gudi route joins the Gudalur route) we did notice some sort of a police checking going on. Maybe the 'one way' is enforced only during the evenings. We anyways took the Gudalur route since we had planned to stop at the Shooting Medu and Pykara. Since the roads on the M'gudi routes are quite satisfactory, I'll probably use the same route both ways since it saves almost an hour as compared to the Gudalur route. Just will be careful in the Kalhatti ghats and strictly follow the normal hill-driving rules about using engine braking to the max, staying in the lower gears etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Road conditions for most part was excellent except for some parts in the town of Ooty especially the road to the bus stand from the Ooty railway station which was dug up when we were there and going to the South part of Ooty meant we had to take a long diversion either around the lake or by going well into the commercial part of town. Has this road reopened ?
Not sure about it kannan. Since this was the first time I drove in Ooty, we just kept asking for directions and drove around. But for most part I saw that the sign-boards at the junctions too pointed in the right direction and I dont remember any long detours... so the road work you are referring to must have been completed.

Last edited by hotstuff : 14th March 2010 at 11:09.
hotstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2010, 11:17   #35
Senior - BHPian

Thanks hotstuff for your step by step instructions
i will try to follow, if i am successful, you will see that in my posts.

thanks once again.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2010, 13:49   #36
BHPian

Did try and follow the hill driving rules while coming down but the problem I guess with the Omni is that because of the low torque unlike in diesel engines, it used to run away upto nearly 35kms per hour on 1st gear itself due to the steepness of the ghats and in fear of breaking the engine at such high rpm's, I was also forced to use the brakes quite a bit and that heated them up and I was forced to take a 15min halt midway just to cool them down ! Also, one of the wheel caps (fancy) got bent outwards due to the heat generated from the front discs. Most of the sign boards advocate 2nd gear while coming down but that dosen't help much on the Omni and I suspect will not help much either on other lower cc petrol cars.
kannan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 09:55   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd View Post

That is some serious misinformation by the TN Tourism Development Corp. Ltd.
It's Anamudi that's the highest peak in south India at 8842 ft. It is located in the Eravikulam National Park in Kerala.
. There is misinformation elsewhere too. When I was studying in school, I was brought up on text books saying that Doddabetta is the tallest peak in South India. I guess nobody had heard much about Anamudi during those days, since Ooty was more heard of than Munnar (which is close to Anamudi btw).
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 10:42   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
. There is misinformation elsewhere too. When I was studying in school, I was brought up on text books saying that Doddabetta is the tallest peak in South India. I guess nobody had heard much about Anamudi during those days, since Ooty was more heard of than Munnar (which is close to Anamudi btw).
At least the NCERT texts that I read clearly mentioned Anaimudi as the highest peak.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 12:46   #39
BHPian

Quote:
At least the NCERT texts that I read clearly mentioned Anaimudi as the highest peak.
Yep, that's where I was introduced to the existence of that peak.
smashnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 14:33   #40
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anamudi might be the highest peak. But Dodabetta has the infamy of being featured in a rotten song starring tamil (self proclaimed) younger thalabathy Vijay! It goes something like
Dodabetta malai mela mutta parota. Thotukka naan chicken tharatta.
(Egg Paratha on top of Doddabetta hills. Shall I serve you chicken as side dish?)
Sorry for the
But somehow I need to point out something to makes Dodabetta look taller than Mt. Everest.

And for the un-initiated, the tune of the song goes exact like Akhiyan milaoon from movie Raja, starring Madhuri Dixit (nene)

Last edited by MX6 : 17th March 2010 at 14:34.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 10:39   #41
BHPian

Hi Hotstuff,
I always read your travelogue carefully. I liked your Andaman trip n I am also planning this september. Coming back to your ooty trip I would like to know few things as below:

1.You have mentioned that you opted for a top most floor in hotel,so do they have lift in the hotel?since I am planning to take my parents(aged >60yrs)
2.Do you have any contact number of the cab driver with whom you did the coonoor sight seeing?
3.Any other hotels do you recommend (in the same range as darshan) in ooty?

Many Thanks

Sanjeev
sanju.iitm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 12:47   #42
BHPian

Nice travelogue !

When we went to Masinagudi we stayed at Jungle Hut. Apparently Jungle Hut & Retreat are related as they are run by different members of a same family .. Junlge Hut is run by Vikram Mathias.

Apologies if I have not been attentive enough, but could you please tell me the place where you stayed at Ooty ?

Thanks
s3va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:35   #43
BHPian

Smile Ooty , Coonoor.

sanju.iitm & s3va

Apologies for the delayed response. My Internet connection is out from a couple of days due to house shifting and BSNL being BSNL, there is no defined turn-around-time that is followed for the phone shift...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanju.iitm View Post
1.You have mentioned that you opted for a top most floor in hotel, so do they have lift in the hotel? since I am planning to take my parents (aged >60yrs)
2.Do you have any contact number of the cab driver with whom you did the coonoor sight seeing?
3.Any other hotels do you recommend (in the same range as darshan) in Ooty?
[1] There is no lift at Hotel Darshan. Since the hotel is on a hill-side, there is a back entrance where the road is up to the second floor level. Since the topmost floor is the 5th floor, I would not recommend the climb for the elderly. If you park your car near the main entrance, you'll have to walk all the way up.

[2] Unfortunately I did not retain the phone number. But it is absolutely not a problem finding taxi cabs. There are several taxi stands located all around Ooty. You'll easily find lots of taxis and the rates are quite standardized. (See the rate board pic in the travelogue.) Since Ooty - Coonoor is just 18 kms by road, you can either take a taxi from Ooty itself and do the Ooty + Coonoor sightseeing, or you can take the train to Coonoor and take a taxi from the railway station. (Negotiate for similar rates as what you find in Ooty.)

[3] I checked on HolidayIQ.com and Tripadvisor.com and found a number of hotels in and around Ooty. You can select one based on your budget and also based on user recommendations. Since you will be out of the hotel for most of the day, any decent hotel should be sufficient. (Before booking, you can probably make a quick call to the shortlisted hotel and confirm lift availability & ask for a room on the top floor.)

By the way Sanjeev, I tried to respond to your PM. Looks like the setting in your account need to be changed :
Quote:
1.sanju.iitm has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3va View Post
...When we went to Masinagudi we stayed at Jungle Hut. Apparently Jungle Hut & Retreat are related as they are run by different members of a same family .. Jungle Hut is run by Vikram Mathias.
....but could you please tell me the place where you stayed at Ooty ?
You are right...Jungle Hut, Jungle retreat and some other resorts are all clustered in and around the same area in M'gudi. Since I read a mention of the 'Mathias family' on the JR website, I was under the impression that this was Vikram Mathias's property... later when I was checking the JH website, it clearly mentioned 'Anushri and Vikram Mathias'. We'll probably try out the JH next time around we are in M'gudi.

We stayed at Hotel Darshan, near the Ooty lake boat house.

Last edited by hotstuff : 23rd March 2010 at 11:43.
hotstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:44   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotstuff View Post
Tickets were quite easy to book via IRCTC or via Cleartrip (Which is linked to IRCTC). But I could see only the Ooty to Coonoor options...
Dude- You saved my day. 3years ago my wife missed this train trip. I had to make her pose on the stationery train in coonor and take pics. After reading your thread yesterday, I booked the 1st class tickets for 25th(thurs) for 2. Got it in the nick of time, only 4 were left. Wife had a pleasant surprise looking at the ticket...

Thanks again. PS - I am also checking in @ Darshan... thx for letting me know abt non-availability of elevators.

Last edited by svsantosh : 23rd March 2010 at 11:45.
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 15:57   #45
BHPian

I particularly liked the Sunset between the dry branches snap! Copyright it
pramod is offline   Reply With Quote