Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 10th August 2010, 15:07   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

@VRP, The Bangalore-Goa and the Konkan sector was always fun. As you said Dudhsagar is awesome. So is the full length Mumbai-Madgaon-Karwar-Mangalore sector. I have done this full stretch many a times and enjoyed it to the core!

The best pantry award for me goes to Goa Express. (Again this is decade ago. Not sure how is it today).
Its still the best.
The food contractor is the same fellow who runs the canteen at madgoan railway station.I think its Benjoe's restaurant or something.
SILVERWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 15:21   #47
Team-BHP Support

Goa express was the first times I had omelettes made in the pantry, first Maggy on train and many more firsts which I dont remember. The way Omelette was served on this journey, defined, where you were. Agra it was with bread, Itarsi it was with a Paratha, Pune it was with a Pau!

Used to be a regular on the Agra-Londa route. Almost 40 hours on train was amazing, but then started my nightmare. To a figure out a bus from Londa to Karwar. This is when the delay really hurt.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 15:34   #48
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Most embarrasing train journeys I've had are the one's in which I enter the lavatory to find graffitti on the walls. Pretty graphic with references to names (taken from the reservation chart) along with berth details.
Don't want to start a war. But I've seen most of such graffitti on trains which pass through Kerala. It's been 1 years since I boarded a train. So don't know what's the status now.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 15:37   #49
BHPian

I used to travel from Warangal to Varanasi during my college days and I used to have a number of adventures during those journeys. The train used to be always late by atleast 4 hours and sometimes upto 10 hours. I remember one day when the train was supposed to arrive at 8PM but arrived at 6 AM the next day :O .
I used to travel in the Sleeper class and this used to be like a normal unreserved class coz everyone with a ticket used to enter it and sit in the reserved berths. I remember one night when i was fast asleep when someone woke me up at a station. I was in deep sleep and was wondering what happened when a guy put his luggage under my berth and sat his daughter and wife on my berth. I was shocked to say the least, but I was a very timid guy during those times and didn't say anything ( His daughter being very pretty was another reason i guess ).
Another time, one guy wanted my seat so he woke me up saying my station had arrived. I was so mad at him coz my station was atleast 3-4 hours away and i couldn't sleep after that.
I think i could write a whole book with my adventures in Indian railways.
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 15:47   #50
Team-BHP Support

One of my friends was boarded a train from Katni to go via Katni/Satna/Allahabad.
At night he slept off and train was running at great speed.

Next day morning he wakes up and what does he find?
He is back at Katni!

It seems there was an accident and the train was sent back to Katni!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 16:25   #51
BHPian

My Worst train journey was 2 months back when returning from Bhopal to Delhi on the Secunderabad Rajdhani. The south rajdhanis are assigned what must be the oldest rakes in the Indian Railways: even the First AC coach was of seventies/eighties vintage! But that wasnt the worst part!

Unfortunately for me, I was assigned a berth in a coupe where the other 3 seats were occupied by a pyschotic lady in her 30's travelling along with her mother and child. The lady tells me I have made a mistake and this cant be my berth because the TT had assured her that the berth was empty. I tried explaining to her how seats are allocated in First Class but the lady started getting alarmingly hysterical and started shouting at the top of her voice. I was shocked and moved out into the passageway trying to look for the TTE. By then the whole coach had come out of their coupes hearing the lady's screams. It was very embarassing. The coach attendants looked amused. When one attendant shows the lady the reservation chart, she proceeds to tear it off and abuses the poor fellow! While the attendant and me were hunting for the TTE, the lady throws my luggage out of the coupe and locks the door! All this tamasha at 11 pm at night when the train is speeding towards Delhi and the TTE is nowhere to be seen! Finally he makes an appearance at past 1130 and forces a reluctant old lady travelling with her husband to move into the coupe with the hysterical lady while I am adjusted in her place. The old lady's husband gives me a stiff shot of rum to calm my nerves while i listen to tales from all around of how the "mad lady" has been behaving since the train left Secunderabad earlier in the day!

the apologetic attendants made up by serving a late dinner of fabulous chicken biryani!
COUGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 16:29   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
One of my friends was boarded a train from Katni to go via Katni/Satna/Allahabad.
At night he slept off and train was running at great speed.

Next day morning he wakes up and what does he find?
He is back at Katni!

It seems there was an accident and the train was sent back to Katni!
One of my friends boarded a train in Jamshedpur at night ( That was the starting point of the train ) and promptly went to sleep. The next morning , he saw that the train had stopped at a station, so he went out to get some breakfast and enquired which place this was and got the reply "Jamshedpur" . Turns out, the train didn't start at all for the whole night.

Last edited by Newpunter : 10th August 2010 at 16:30.
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 17:01   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Did you try the leeds to carlyle route through Settle? That's an amazing route. I've found the Settle route that dots the lake district and goes through the yorkshire dales better than the leeds to aberdeen on the eastern line along the coast.
Nops MX6. I could not try that one. I have stayed near London, Leeds and in Ramsgate, Kent. But this one was one memorable journey. Done that twice. Always preferred train over flight within UK.
Lightening-Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 17:19   #54
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Oh man. You stayed in Leeds and didn't try that settle route? Here's a sneak peak. May be I will put that in a log sometime later.

Scenic Settle rail.
Your best and worst train journey experiences?-settle.jpg

By the way, speakiing of the yorkshire dales, there's a thread that I started long back. Absolute photographer's paradise. Got to kick start that soon.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 17:21   #55
BHPian

MX6, now i know what you were talking about. Sure i missed that one. Damn!!!
Lightening-Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 18:36   #56
Senior - BHPian

My best train "experience" was the first time I travelled in 2nd AC with my father's friend to Allahabad from Singrauli(300kms).

I could feel such a huge difference in the ambience that I felt like paradise compared to my general class travel over all the years.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 18:53   #57
BHPian

I've got my list too. While I agree that some of the European rides are miles ahead of us in speed, timing and comfort I personally believe that Indian Railways has a character of it's own. When you are in sleeper it's like you're actually interacting with the surroundings, if it's hot you feel hot, if it's cold you feel cold - you can reach out and touch the green outside.

The best journey that I remember is from Chennai to Goa on an once a week train. Nothing great about the first part but when we woke up the next day it was magical. There was a dense fog and we could hardly see outside. Seeing the mist disappear as it gave way for the sun rise was simply superb. This was follwed by a ghat section with a lot of greenery and some waterfalls. Simply great trip. And I believe what made it even more enjoyable was the fact that we were travelling sleeper and the coach was almost empty. I'm not sure if I would have enjoyed as much in AC.

The worst that I remember was last week. On a fancy I booked my ticket on the Guruvayoor Express from Trivandrum to Chennai. This train reaches TVM at 03:30 a.m. and Tambaram at 07:20 p.m. I guess I did this out of a sense of adventure . Long story short, I could not get much sleep and the train was late by over an hour. Add to that the heat, dust and the crowd and I was about ready to get out half way and catch a cab to Chennai.
SafeDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 21:52   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I caught up with my family on time for my anniversary. I still have preserved that ticket
Lucky you

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Why ?

Because she had been upgraded from SL to 2A. And the person's seat she took in 2A had been upgraded from 2A to 1A

On asking the TTE said the system has quite a few parameters on which it selects people to upgrade so that the system is not abused.

BTW she is a Dr.
Was she upgraded because she was a Dr.?
SPIKE ARRESTOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 22:32   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Was she upgraded because she was a Dr.?
Education has nothing to do with up gradation. A couple of years ago our office boy travelling from LTT Kurla terminus in Bombay to his hometown in Bihar was upgraded from SL to 3AC. He was only a HSC pass at that time.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 00:00   #60
lsp
BHPian

Damn!!!
Was in Leeds for 6 months & never knew about this. Only consolation is I was there during winters so it wont have looked so beautiful.

Quote:
Oh man. You stayed in Leeds and didn't try that settle route? Here's a sneak peak. May be I will put that in a log sometime later.

Scenic Settle rail.
Attachment 403325

By the way, speakiing of the yorkshire dales, there's a thread that I started long back. Absolute photographer's paradise. Got to kick start that soon.
lsp is offline   Reply With Quote