Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 24th March 2010, 16:57   #1
BHPian

Default A Weekend trip to Bakkhali & Henry Island

After my last trip to Dooars in Jan/Feb, I was again bitten by travel bug. This time we (our Dooars team) decided to take along elders of our family too. In this month none of us had any options of taking a leave, so we decided for a weekend trip to the nearby sea beach of Bakkhali. We also were determined to visit Gangasagar en route, but destiny had planned something else for us.

Our team comprised of 9 people, four from my family including my parents and us and five from Suman's including his parents and mom in law (my aunt).

On Monday morning ( 20 March 2010) we planned to meet near Behala Chowrasta at about 6 am. Accordingly we got ready and got out of our home at 5.45 am and found heavy mist (very unlikely in this weather). As I was about to reach Behala Chowrasta crossing i found a red i-10 zooming towards south. I was sure that none but Suman must be going at that high speed and he surely have missed the meeting point. I too started chasing him and caught with him shortly. Soon we were at Amtala and got stuck in the early morning jam caused by a weekly local market that spills over on to the road. So wasted about 30-40 minutes in the place.

The Amtala jam (You can see the morning mist)
A Weekend trip to Bakkhali & Henry Island-dscf1512.jpg

Soon we were free from the jam and were cruizing towards Diamond Harbour. The roads are excellent, although narrow and no divider in between for up 7 down traffic, the surface is just silk smooth. Even in the mist we managed to touch about 70-80 kmph speeds. Soon we stopped near the river front of Diamond Harbour and had some snaps. Although we could not take good snaps of the river front due to the mist, I managed to take these.

A Weekend trip to Bakkhali & Henry Island-dscf1513.jpg

A Weekend trip to Bakkhali & Henry Island-dscf1515.jpg
Shantanu Sarkar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 17:00   #2
BHPian

Great Start Shantanu ... the spiderweb is a work of Art. Please cont ....
Dzire2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 09:40   #3
BHPian

Bakkhali is such a nice place. I have been there on a college guys trip in 2000. Please post a lot of pics.
There was a stranded boat on the beach, some military boat. We had great fun climbing up and down the mast.
Is it still there?
sen2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 09:57   #4
Team-BHP Support

Why it's taking such long to report? Can't wait to see how these places look now.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 14:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
Bakkhali is such a nice place. I have been there on a college guys trip in 2000. Please post a lot of pics.
There was a stranded boat on the beach, some military boat. We had great fun climbing up and down the mast.
Is it still there?
Thanks for the comments. Really Bakkhali is a very nice place. Have a lots of pics to post.

Well I could locate the ship on wikimapia just before I went for the trip. I walked about 2-3 kms on the beach to locate it but unfortunately couldnot. It must be a bit farther away. I had no energy left to walk further and the sun was too strong to bear ( although it was only about 9 am) in this season for me to show more courage.
Shantanu Sarkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 14:58   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Why it's taking such long to report? Can't wait to see how these places look now.

Apologies for the delay Rudra. Actually I was waiting for some more pics that was captured on Suman's digicam. I have received them just now.

So some more pics of the misty morning:

A Weekend trip to Bakkhali & Henry Island-100_2029.jpg

A Weekend trip to Bakkhali & Henry Island-100_2031.jpg

A Weekend trip to Bakkhali & Henry Island-100_2032.jpg
Old 26th March 2010, 15:04   #7
MX6
Senior - BHPian

cobweb has me trapped there! Good one. I loved the name of the place. Bakkhali. Very different.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 15:07   #8
BHPian

The spider web photo was amazing. The morning dew settling on them gives a special mention to the picture.
ElantraGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 15:20   #9
BHPian

Diamond Harbour was about 40 kms from my home. It took about 1.30 hrs to reach (thanks to the jam at Amtala).

We had plans to visit Kapil Muni Ashram at Gangasagar. We wasted no time and sped towards our destination. Just before reaching Kakdwip, we had to take a right hand diversion about 4 kms long to reach the Lot # 8 jetty. It is from here that we were supposed to board a vessel that is supposed to carry us along with our vehicles safely on to the other side to Kachuberia. The ashram of Kapil Muni is about 30 kms from there. It was about 8.35 am and we hoped to get the 9 am vessel. As soon as we reached near the gate of the jetty, we were informed that, we have to stand in a queue, A queue?? but we were the only car here. Well, not exactly, there were about 40 trucks waiting for their turn to cross. We will have our turn after them. Trucks!!! ohhh no!! The trucks that were parked on the side as we crossed them were actually waiting to cross over as well. If we choose to go it might be evening before we could actually board the vessel.

Quickly a person came to us and informed that there is an arrangement of car parking and we can cross over to the other side and get a car there. It was most annoying moment of my journey. There was no provisions for tourists to get on to the island and they are bound to wait for the vessel along with other goods vehicle and the touts are busy making their own share (of parking and car hire charges may be). We dropped the idea and quickly turned back towards Kakdwip (Well the tout must be very disappointed )

Soon we reached Kakdwip and had to take a left turn towards Namkhana which was about 17 kms ahead. Although I had a rough idea of the road by seeing the map (courtesy: wikimapia), I overlooked the left hand diversion towards the Namkhana car jetty (Courtesy: Poster of political party, how can they block the view of important road signs ) and drove straight towards the passenger jetty. However a call from Suman who was behind me, and we were back on right track.

Soon we were near the Namkhana Jetty.

Last edited by bblost : 29th March 2010 at 10:54. Reason: Extra Smiley removed. Thanks.
Old 26th March 2010, 15:25   #10
Team-BHP Support

Nice snaps, esp. the web ! The misty ambiance adds on to it.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 15:46   #11
BHPian

Thanks MX6 and Elantra for your lovely comments.

Here are some pics of the Namkhana Jetty

Our cars standing in Q:
A Weekend trip to Bakkhali & Henry Island-100_2036.jpg

A Weekend trip to Bakkhali & Henry Island-dscf1522.jpg

The Namkhana Jetty
A Weekend trip to Bakkhali & Henry Island-dscf1516.jpg

The vessel that transports vehicles
A Weekend trip to Bakkhali & Henry Island-dscf1517.jpg

The driveway of the jetty
A Weekend trip to Bakkhali & Henry Island-dscf1518.jpg

The river bank
A Weekend trip to Bakkhali & Henry Island-dscf1519.jpg

Cars being loaded on the other side
A Weekend trip to Bakkhali & Henry Island-dscf1520.jpg

We are on the jetty
A Weekend trip to Bakkhali & Henry Island-dscf1523.jpg

Our cars parked side by side on the vessel
A Weekend trip to Bakkhali & Henry Island-dscf1525.jpg

The view in front of us. This is the exit of the vessel when we reach the other side
A Weekend trip to Bakkhali & Henry Island-dscf1530.jpg

A Weekend trip to Bakkhali & Henry Island-100_2037.jpg

The vessel
A Weekend trip to Bakkhali & Henry Island-100_2040.jpg

Our cars parked
A Weekend trip to Bakkhali & Henry Island-100_2041.jpg

The Hatania Doania River
A Weekend trip to Bakkhali & Henry Island-100_2042.jpg

Colourful country boats on the river
A Weekend trip to Bakkhali & Henry Island-100_2043.jpg

Curious onlooker (Fellow passenger of another vehicle)
A Weekend trip to Bakkhali & Henry Island-100_2044.jpg

The river and the boats
A Weekend trip to Bakkhali & Henry Island-dscf1527.jpg
Shantanu Sarkar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 16:04   #12
Team-BHP Support

However chaotic may our country be, there always is the unstable equilibrium which delivers the goods.
The vehicle transfer looks amazing.

Picture this to a foreigner, he may not even enter the ferry! Good going waiting for more.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 16:31   #13
BHPian

Thanks Ampere for the comments.

Although we took so many pics, the actual ride was all about 5-10 mins and we were on the other side. We wished the river was a bit broader to accomodate a 20-30 mins ride.

Soon we were zooming towards our destination which was about 25 kms away. It hardly took us 30 minutes to reach due to the excellent roads. Although narrow, the surface is silk smooth.

The road surface
A Weekend trip to Bakkhali & Henry Island-dscf1535.jpg

We drove past Frazergunj which is a fishing hamlet.

The wind mills at Frazergunj
A Weekend trip to Bakkhali & Henry Island-dscf1637.jpg
A Weekend trip to Bakkhali & Henry Island-dscf1638.jpg
A Weekend trip to Bakkhali & Henry Island-dscf1639.jpg

We reached WBTDC Bakkhali Tourist Lodge at about 10.30 am after covering a distance of 130 kms from my home including a detour of 8 kms to Lot # 8 (to and fro distance)

WBTDC Lodge is undergoing massive renovation work and are coming up with new cottages and a swimming pool.

The Lodge
A Weekend trip to Bakkhali & Henry Island-dscf1634.jpg

The Restaurant
A Weekend trip to Bakkhali & Henry Island-dscf1635.jpg

Our car parked near the reception
A Weekend trip to Bakkhali & Henry Island-dscf1536.jpg
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1634.JPG
Views:	17615
Size:	689.3 KB
ID:	316101
Attached Thumbnails
A Weekend trip to Bakkhali & Henry Island-dscf1632.jpg  

Old 26th March 2010, 16:42   #14
BHPian

Great to know that the roads have massively improved. Gives me ideas to venture out this weekend. You've captured river life beautifully.
Dzire2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 21:34   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzire2Travel View Post
Great to know that the roads have massively improved. Gives me ideas to venture out this weekend. You've captured river life beautifully.
The roads are really good now. Go ahead and enjoy. Do bring in some good story for us to share.

As the check in time was 12 noon, we were requested to wait till our rooms were ready. I asked all whether anyone would like to explore the beach. Suman, me and meshomasai (Suman's dad) were the only one to brave the blazing sun of March at 11 am to walk about 500-600 meters to the beach. In excitement, all of us missed our cameras as well as our cellphones. However, the sand itself was so hot by this time, it was getting difficult to walk on the beach. We decided to get back after 20 minutes.

The whole day was then a real holiday for me. Relaxing and sleeping in the room without any disturbance.

We again ventured out in the beach at about 5 pm. The beauty of Bakkhali beach was coming out to its fullest with the setting sun.