Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 20th April 2010, 10:22   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
There're some places where there's a lock kind of stuff between the rails to prevent the rail from going back or some kinda lock. Though I haven't experienced this by myself, atleast, this is what I heard from people who've experienced the ride from Mettupalayam to Connoor. Here's the pic that I found in the web.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Possibly means rack rail.
Yes, now I understand. Sutripta gave the correct terminology. Here's the Wiki link explaining it: Rack railway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Quote:
Sorry to post late because I haven't had an opportunity to follow up on this as we were enjoying ourselves at Coorg
Good - you'll have to post your travelogue quickly, because that's part of my next destination - in June.
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Since we didnt have a pic of Batasia loop in our archives, I fished out one from the net. Notice (as Sutripta says) the road following the rail line for half a loop and then taking a dip. The latter of course, goes on to take a full loop.
That's the place all right. The Gorkha Memorial is set up in the middle of that loop, and the bird's eye view now looks entirely different from what you've shown - and with a market in progress right on the tracks, it looks even more different - you miss the loop for all the loopy people shopping there!!!

Here are a couple of pics that I could get from the net again, and one from my camera showing the actual vantage point from where the pics are taken (along with our first view of the sun for that day )

How it looks now...
Name:  BatasiaLoopDarjeeling.jpg
Views: 1026
Size:  56.8 KB

Name:  Batasia birds eye.jpg
Views: 1375
Size:  90.2 KB

...as compared to the view you posted.
Name:  Batasia20Loop.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  90.3 KB

Looking up at the vantage point...
Gross Travelling Happiness - Bhutan, Sikkim, Darjeeling-batasia-vantage-point.jpg

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 20th April 2010 at 10:26.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 10:30   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Good - you'll have to post your travelogue quickly
Nah, I'm not posting mine as our stay was very short, not much details & besides very bad in writing travelogues. May be I'll get better with time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
because that's part of my next destination - in June.
God!!! you're covering all parts of India only by travelling. Actually I want to thank you for sharing the pony tail & plan B. We'd similar incident with our stay & the experience of your plan B helped us have a memorable trip.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 10:38   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nah, I'm not posting mine as our stay was very short, not much details & besides very bad in writing travelogues. May be I'll get better with time.
You've got to start somewhere! Now's the best time for my sake...

Quote:
God!!! you're covering all parts of India only by travelling.
How else?!? Just FYI, this time I'm driving. Your inputs would also be welcome here.
Old 20th April 2010, 12:05   #169
BHPian

Thanks for all the advice and help Dr SS. Am just back from the Sikkim trip and it was wonderful! I will post a few pics later on.
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 12:11   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Thanks for all the advice and help Dr SS. Am just back from the Sikkim trip and it was wonderful! I will post a few pics later on.
You're most welcome - my pleasure for whatever help I could extend.

Will look forward to your detailed travelogue too!
Old 24th April 2010, 00:48   #171
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up The Batasia Loop!

Great travelogue, SS traveller. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. You deserve a 5-star rating, just for putting in so much of an effort! Speaking of effort, I used to spend 6 - 7 hours daily on my Udaipur, Bhutan and Ooty& Kodai travelogues!

I have to read you log again some time later!

Here are some pics of the world famous Toy Train and the Batasia Loop. I have tons of pics in my collection!

Gross Travelling Happiness - Bhutan, Sikkim, Darjeeling-toy-train.jpg

Gross Travelling Happiness - Bhutan, Sikkim, Darjeeling-g-mighty-himalayas.jpg

Gross Travelling Happiness - Bhutan, Sikkim, Darjeeling-i-batasia-loop.jpg

Name:  I Toytrain on Batasia Loop  got it in an email forward.jpg
Views: 2911
Size:  48.9 KB

Name:  I Toytrain on Batasia Loop.jpg
Views: 1122
Size:  256.2 KB

Gross Travelling Happiness - Bhutan, Sikkim, Darjeeling-i-war-memorial-batasia-loop.jpg

I hope you won't mind me adding some pics to spice up your log!
Chevy_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2010, 09:28   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
I hope you won't mind me adding some pics to spice up your log!
Oh, no, I certainly don't mind. In fact, those integral parts of Darjeeling are the scenes I missed on my trip, due to the cloudy & rainy weather on one hand, and the non-operation of the toy trains due to bad coal when I was there. Thank you for the lovely pics. Do post some from Tiger Hill if you have them in your collection.
Old 24th April 2010, 14:35   #173
Senior - BHPian

Talking The Magnificent Tiger Hills!

From Tiger Hill, just the top of Mount Everest (29,002 feet) is visible, peeping out through two other peaks standing by its side. The peak that looks highest is that of Makalu (27,799'). These three peaks are seen to the north-west, a little left of Phalut.

Everest looks smaller than its two sisters, although Everest is not only higher than either of them, but the highest peak in the world!!! This phenomenon arises from the fact that Everest is several miles beyond them. The distance in straight line of Everest from Tiger Hill is 107 miles!!!

When we saw the first sun light of the day, I couldn't hold back my excitement any longer and jumped out of the gallery and climbed on top of a parked Sumo, set up my Tripod and got ready to see one of the most amazing scenes anybody can witness!!!

Gross Travelling Happiness - Bhutan, Sikkim, Darjeeling-kanchenjunga-6am-moonlight.jpg
Gross Travelling Happiness - Bhutan, Sikkim, Darjeeling-morning-sun.jpg
Gross Travelling Happiness - Bhutan, Sikkim, Darjeeling-b-view-tiger-hill.jpg
Gross Travelling Happiness - Bhutan, Sikkim, Darjeeling-c-morning-sun-2.jpg

A traveler, whose vision has not been entertained with the two most amazing sights, the Taj Mahal by moonlight and sunrise from Tiger Hill, has missed a pleasure that cannot be substituted!!!

As the first rays of the sun crept through the Himalayas, at the crack of dawn, we were extremely lucky to see Mount Everest. The view is simply spectacular and no words can describe it!

Gross Travelling Happiness - Bhutan, Sikkim, Darjeeling-d-sun-rise-1.jpg
Gross Travelling Happiness - Bhutan, Sikkim, Darjeeling-d-sun-rise-2.jpg
Gross Travelling Happiness - Bhutan, Sikkim, Darjeeling-d-sun-rise-3.jpg
Gross Travelling Happiness - Bhutan, Sikkim, Darjeeling-d-sun-rise-4.jpg

The first rays of the sun shot ahead and shed light on the twin peaks of the Kanchenjunga and gradually painted the whole of its snow covered body with a beautiful orange color.

The sun gave a beautiful orange tinge to the Himalayas!!!

Gross Travelling Happiness - Bhutan, Sikkim, Darjeeling-e-sun-has-finally-come-up.jpg
Gross Travelling Happiness - Bhutan, Sikkim, Darjeeling-f-sun-has-risen.jpg
Gross Travelling Happiness - Bhutan, Sikkim, Darjeeling-g-sun-rising-slowly.jpg
Gross Travelling Happiness - Bhutan, Sikkim, Darjeeling-h-sun-god.jpg
Gross Travelling Happiness - Bhutan, Sikkim, Darjeeling-i-most-amazing-sight.jpg
Gross Travelling Happiness - Bhutan, Sikkim, Darjeeling-j-first-sun-rays-fall-kanchen-junga.jpg

The immaculate beauty of the Himalayas left me at a loss for words! We stood there for an eternity, mesmerized by the sheer grandeur of the Kanchenjunga!!!

Gross Travelling Happiness - Bhutan, Sikkim, Darjeeling-j-powerful-sunrays-fall-mighty-kanchenjunga.jpg
Gross Travelling Happiness - Bhutan, Sikkim, Darjeeling-k-wonderful-kanchenjunga.jpg

We were told that there were clouds covering the peak for the past 4 days and the peaks were not visible. We were indeed lucky to get such a clear view!

The sheer beauty of the Mighty Himalayas cast a spell on us and we completely forgot about the surroundings!!!

Gross Travelling Happiness - Bhutan, Sikkim, Darjeeling-himalayas-all-its-glory.jpg
Gross Travelling Happiness - Bhutan, Sikkim, Darjeeling-chevy_couple-2.jpg

These pics and narration is from my travelogue. Here is the link:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...tml#post882101 (An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!)
Chevy_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 17:08   #174
BHPian

Thumbs up Definately worth a visit.

Anyone really interested in travelling would never feel fulfilled till they visit Bhutan after reading your extensive travelouge.
Special thanks for the number of pictures you have put up.
San Phrangmung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 19:14   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
Anyone really interested in travelling would never feel fulfilled till they visit Bhutan after reading your extensive travelouge.
Special thanks for the number of pictures you have put up.
Thank you, San, and I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Old 12th August 2010, 20:46   #176
BHPian

Smile Green & Clean

From the pictures it seems that the Bhutanese keep their city neat and clean. I did not see any massive sign board except the temporary Maruti roadshow banner on a bridge in your pictures.

The shop and office signs also seem to follow colour code like number plates. Another thing i liked was that you mentioned of the officials there being straight forward.

But what was alarming is that every restaurent seems to be a bar as well.
Do people there drink a lot and did you had any experiences with drivers being high.

Would you be also knowing if a tourist driving his own vehicle without any local guide is allowed to camp any where on the road or some sort of extra permit is needed for that.
Old 15th August 2010, 22:24   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do people there drink a lot and did you had any experiences with drivers being high.

Would you be also knowing if a tourist driving his own vehicle without any local guide is allowed to camp any where on the road or some sort of extra permit is needed for that.
Not one incidence noticed during our 72 hours there, of drunkenness or any otherwise aberrant/unsocial behaviour under the influence of alcohol - and we stayed 2 nights in the heart of Thimphu, as well as took late night walks. The Bhutanese drink, but either they can hold their drink well, or drink in moderation.

As to camping overnight on the roadside for a foreigner and whether special permits are required, I have no idea. Never explored that option.
Old 16th August 2010, 11:10   #178
BHPian

Thanks @ SS-Traveller

Bhutan still is a mystry of a kind. I had hit the border township of Phultshling (Spelling not sure) with parents as a schoolboy and can never forget it as got bitten by a monkey on way ! Yes true he he.

Fortunately it was a small chained one at a dhaba where our group waited for lunch and i got little too curious when he gifted me with a nice bite.
Old 16th August 2010, 11:22   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From the pictures it seems that the Bhutanese keep their city neat and clean. I did not see any massive sign board except the temporary Maruti roadshow banner on a bridge in your pictures.

The shop and office signs also seem to follow colour code like number plates. Another thing i liked was that you mentioned of the officials there being straight forward.

Nothing could be a bigger study in contrasts - Phuntsoling with its well-ordered streets, disciplined traffic and good signage, and Jaigarh (the Indian town 100 metres away) with mounts of garbage stinking to the heavens, road shoulders spilling over to the road, dirty hotels charging the skies and having to ask around for everything. Happily at least, Jaigarh has lots of garages which means some succour for cars in need for spare parts or urgent repairs.

Unfortunately, Bhutan closes its border at 8 pm and you have to stay back in the Jaigarh's hotels if you are late.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 19:19   #180
BHPian

Thanks @hvkumar, that means one must cross to the Bhutanese side by late afternoon and spend the night at Phuntsoling. Jaigarh a big no.