Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 16th August 2010, 19:25   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
Thanks @hvkumar, that means one must cross to the Bhutanese side by late afternoon and spend the night at Phuntsoling. Jaigarh a big no.
Yes, that is probably the only option if you are coming from Guwahati. For those coming from Siliguri, if they are early risers, they can leave Siliguri at 4 am to be in Jaigarh by 8, before the Immigration Office opens.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 23:29   #182
BHPian

Default Re: Gross Travelling Happiness - Bhutan, Sikkim, Darjeeling

I am planning for an honeymoon in Bhutan. Can someone guide me the best/fast/convenient way to reach Phuntsholing? By Train/Bus to the nearest point and abiout the stay at Phuntoshling. I am planning to fly to Bagdogra. Is 10 days sufficient enough in Bhutan?
manduvindupondu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2011, 00:47   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manduvindupondu View Post
I am planning for an honeymoon in Bhutan. Can someone guide me the best/fast/convenient way to reach Phuntsholing? By Train/Bus to the nearest point and abiout the stay at Phuntoshling. I am planning to fly to Bagdogra. Is 10 days sufficient enough in Bhutan?
You will get a bus - run by Bhutan Road Transport - to Phuntsoling.
Phuntsoling has several hotels including the Govt-run hotel.
10 days is a lot for Bhutan, too much unless you are planning to do East BHutan also (difficult during winter).
Old 4th November 2011, 10:26   #184
BHPian

Thanks kumarji! Can i book accommodation in thimphu in advance online. Please suggest some good hotels.
manduvindupondu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2011, 11:44   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manduvindupondu View Post
Thanks kumarji! Can i book accommodation in thimphu in advance online. Please suggest some good hotels.
The higher end hotels like Aman, Taj, Govt of Bhutan have web-sites for booking online. But the smaller hotels in Thimphu are all too small to have their web-sites. In any case, tour operators dominate the tourism industry in Bhutan, and they are likely to offer online bookings.

However, I have found above-budget hotels in interior Bhutan - like at Trongsa, Jakar - do have their web-sites for online booking.

I suggest you call them up in advance and check if they are open since winter time in Bhutan is not popular with tourists, and I am unsure f they will be open. IN any case, in THimphu, you can walk in without bookings.
Old 23rd April 2012, 20:38   #186
BHPian

Hi

Just back from Bhutan. It is peak season. So "walk into any hotel" may not work right now. Phones work in most of the hotels. But its ISD from here - remember that while calling. Rs. 10/min. Call them between 9:30 am and 5:30pm. Better to book in advance.

There are budget hotels for 700/800 per night but may not suit if you are travelling with family. Look for range of 2000 per night.

I agree with HV Kumar. No online booking. Even in the Rs. 5000/night range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The higher end hotels like Aman, Taj, Govt of Bhutan have web-sites for booking online. But the smaller hotels in Thimphu are all too small to have their web-sites. IN any case, in THimphu, you can walk in without bookings.
rockyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 22:25   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb View Post
Hi

Just back from Bhutan. It is peak season. So "walk into any hotel" may not work right now. Phones work in most of the hotels. But its ISD from here - remember that while calling. Rs. 10/min. Call them between 9:30 am and 5:30pm. Better to book in advance.

There are budget hotels for 700/800 per night but may not suit if you are travelling with family. Look for range of 2000 per night.

I agree with HV Kumar. No online booking. Even in the Rs. 5000/night range.
The smaller hotels (<1000 range) are mostly family-run, with women manning reception desk and so on, so they are actually nice cosy places to stay in, but no frills. There are many of them, and these don't appear to take any advance bookings and may not be difficult to get rooms in one of the other.

The next level of hotels prices itself at 2-3K, and are mostly frequented by large conducted tours of Japs & Europeans. Most of them are solicited by travel agents and booked in advance.