Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 5th April 2010, 13:16   #31
Senior - BHPian

Nice photos and travelogue, Santosh. Your Nano did a great job in the hills. How was the weather in Ooty?

My wife and I had been to Ooty and Kodai last year. We missed the Kodanadu view point and the train ride by a whisker. Your pics gives us two more reasons to head back to the Nilgiris.

We had also spotted the first ever Nano in Ooty during our trip!!

Let me also share my technique of handling the ghats. I always downshift to the second or first gear just BEFORE I reach a hairpin bend. I always try to avoid being in a situation where I have to downshift in the middle of an ascent. The loss of power, even for some seconds, can be dangerous.

The second point is to avoid tailing heavy vehicles in ghats. They may stop anytime.

One has to use engine braking in Segur ghats. Drive down in second gear and take hairpins in first gear.

And lastly, I always try to drive in the ghats at night. There are no two wheelers to disturb me then!!
Chevy_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 14:45   #32
BHPian

Thumbs up @ Santosh

I was thinking about buying the NANO as my first car. Now this travelogue should help me in making my decision.

regards,
adg_andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Day 2:
25-Mar-10

(1st half of the day)

I had done this train ride only once back in 2000. Wifey had done ooty only once before, and never the NMR. I had booked the tickets only 1 day ago on IRCTC website. Paid ~100Rs for 1 1st class ticket. Later found out the 2nd class is only 3:00Rs!!! BTW, these prices are for Coonor - Ooty only. The Mettupalayam-Coonor route is still closed for repair work due to the land slides of 2009. I feel that route is more scenic and breath taking...

I am going to post a handful of pics from this ride.

Attachment 317307

Attachment 317308

Attachment 317309

Attachment 317310

Attachment 317311

Attachment 317312

Attachment 317313

Attachment 317314

Attachment 317315

Attachment 317316

Attachment 317327

Attachment 317328

Attachment 317329

Attachment 317330

Attachment 317331

Attachment 317332

Attachment 317333

Attachment 317334

Attachment 317335

Attachment 317336

Attachment 317337

Attachment 317338

Attachment 317339

Attachment 317340

Attachment 317341

Attachment 317342

These pics are of both to & fro Ooty-Coonor. I parked the nano outside Ooty railway station for 10Rs. This ride starts at 915AM and reaches Coonor at 1020. The reverse ride leaves at 1040 and reaches at 1140AM.

The return journey put my 'dabba' ahead of the train. Had a good open ride back. The pic of the 2 school girls was a scary experience for me, but common for them. The guard becomes the driver in the reverse ride and he keeps honking constantly to alert the track walkers. These girls cleared the track just in time...!! (pic doesnt show it)

-------------------------------------------------------------

2nd half of the day was more interesting in the tribal musuem... To be Contd.
adg_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 15:42   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post
Good one...How was the power of the car in the Ghats? I am sure the competition is burning the Nano's to keep it from succeeding
- thx
-- Power is adequate for regular ghats. The segur/masinagudi is INSANE. Still made in 1st and few 2nd gear moments
--- hehe, I too think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
Nice photos and travelogue, Santosh. Your Nano did a great job in the hills. How was the weather in Ooty?
I think I forgot to mention that point. It was way too HOT for a scenic hill station in the day time. My shripet water bottle melted/disfigured in the heat (parked for 4 hours outside a hotel).

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
I was thinking about buying the NANO as my first car.
nano makes a great 1st car. Also, when you upgrade, it makes a greater 2nd car too. Its resale value will be too low, that you wont mind keeping a spare car outside on the street, considering its cheap maintenance costs too...
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 16:03   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
The view point was nothing much, since it was a very cloudy day. There is some rock Peak near this point. Can anyone identify this cliff? Looked great.
Thats the Rangaswamy Peak, supposedly of great importance for the local tribes.

A great travelogue with some lovely pics. Credit to the Tatas' that the Nano comfortably did the trip.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 17:04   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely Travelogue there. The Nano does it. No wonder that the little car has got such accolades all over the world.

Superb pics by the way
nkrishnap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 22:56   #36
BHPian

great Travelogue, and i guess TATA's would love to hear about your trip to ooty , was quite surprised , but i guess you proved it that the car definitely is not a city car alone..
brijesh1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 12:38   #37

Pleasantly surprised that you have taken Nano out of the comfort zone. I am looking for a small second car sometime towards the end of this year, and this trip has made me add Nano to the competition! I am also planning a trip to Ooty, and the tribal museum that you have described in the travelogue looks like a must-see place.
maddjango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 21:17   #38
BHPian

Excellent pics, svsantosh. I never knew that Ooty boasts of such a rich cultural heritage. It was a tough decision of yours to go with the Nano. Glad to hear that you managed it nicely.
Utopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 20:31   #39
BHPian

Wonderful Travelogue svsantosh.. Must say those ghats are a challenge for most cars.. one of friends Ikon 1.8D had a near break failure during descend..
Have been planning another trip down those roads.. your travelogue has inspired me even more.. Ooty here I come..
cogentr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 13:18   #40
BHPian

[COLOR=black]Kodanadu is a great view point. On a clear day you can see as far as sathyamangalam with the Bhavanisagar dam on the plains and there a great view of a water fall to one side. The terrain changes in 30 deg turn you make. [/COLOR]
dsr_rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 22:36   #41
BHPian

Super Travelogue. Especially loved the train ride which i couldn't take because of time constraints. the Andaman and Nicobar Island tribes are hostile aren't they. The pics show them in quite a good mood i should say.

I surely loved the Good Shepard School as well. Brilliant school.
Here's a pic i took of the school.

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-img_14811.jpg
bornin70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 23:24   #42
BHPian

Excellent travelogue and a quite detailed as well!! Kudos to you sir!!!

The car did perform quite well and glad you managed to get the most out of it. IMHO there isn't too much into the whole Nano burning issue - its more because of the car's current celebrity kinda status - anything that will happen will get reported. Btw, there are a few other cars also that catch fire, but their reports would not get the TRPs for these channels.

However, I wouldn't discount it fully till concrete fact finding reports are out.

Overall, great report sir, shall look forward for more
keyurshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 20:50   #43
BHPian

Default Re: nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...

Hi Guyz, Would like to know the road/traffic condition if we were to take the Bandipur - Masanagudi - Ooty road.

great pix...would have loved to see your nano too
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote