Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 31st March 2010, 10:52   #1
BHPian

Default Superb “Punjab (Punj means 5 and Aab means water)” Noida, Chandigarh, Amritsar, Atari

100 hours, More than 1100 KMs, Fuel worth Rs. 3800, toll charges worth Rs 430, zero breakdowns, covered Punjab till Atari (wagah border), disappointed Haryana Police for having all documents and finally back home.

I might be a “newbie” bhpian (as displayed under my avatar) but I sure am an avid road traveler. To make sure my status of newbie changes to whatever is next (I actually have promised few of my fellow bhpians that I will be contributing more in next few months), here is my first post. Please do comment/criticize.

My 3rd week of the month is typically manageable (in terms of workload) and when this year’s calendar showed a Wednesday Off in 3rd week, it was an opportunity to make a short trip. With few hours of planning in place and one medium sized bag of necessary clothes, we (I along with my wife and Kid) started our trip to God’s own backyard “Punjab”. It was a welcome break from the virtual farms of facebook (Farmville) as I, once again, got to be in real farms and with real farmers.

Because of the Holiday, the traffic was less and we zipped through NH1 and reached Chandigarh in about 6 hours (with all the Dhaba Breaks and safe driving, I took 6 hrs on that section). Evening was well spent in Rose garden and Sector 17 market. Here are some pictures.

The fountains are in Rose Garden and have been installed recently. They look spectacular in night.
Attached Thumbnails
Superb “Punjab (Punj means 5 and Aab means water)” Noida, Chandigarh, Amritsar, Atari-punjab2010-007.jpg  

Superb “Punjab (Punj means 5 and Aab means water)” Noida, Chandigarh, Amritsar, Atari-punjab2010-009.jpg  

Superb “Punjab (Punj means 5 and Aab means water)” Noida, Chandigarh, Amritsar, Atari-punjab2010-011.jpg  

Superb “Punjab (Punj means 5 and Aab means water)” Noida, Chandigarh, Amritsar, Atari-punjab2010-012.jpg  

Superb “Punjab (Punj means 5 and Aab means water)” Noida, Chandigarh, Amritsar, Atari-punjab2010-034.jpg  

Superb “Punjab (Punj means 5 and Aab means water)” Noida, Chandigarh, Amritsar, Atari-punjab2010-045.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 31st March 2010 at 12:21. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy paste from external fornt editors, also Preview before Submitting posts. thanks
sanjaykaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 12:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

More than two hours from the last post. Aage kya hua? And what vehicle?
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 13:03   #3
BHPian

[FONT=Calibri]Next 3 days details with pictures (Amritsar, Atari, Chandigarh) to follow. Little busy with the work :-). Mid week effect.[/FONT]
Old 31st March 2010, 13:29   #4
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Good start. Better to be a safe driver. Do we still have 5 rivers in punjab? Guess 3 of them are not in pakistan. only two flow in out land.
And how did you manage to disappoint Haryana Police? It's a great feat!
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 14:47   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
By showing all the papers wherever checked. Anyways, what's the story after Chandigarh?
sheetumanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 15:06   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Do we still have 5 rivers in punjab? Guess 3 of them are not in pakistan. only two flow in out land.
Technically yes. Beas, Chenab, Jhelum, Ravi and Sutlej still exist. I think Jhelum and Chinab after starting in J&K move down to Pakistan side of Punjab and merge with Indus. All of these rivers are tributary of River Indus.
Old 31st March 2010, 15:09   #7
BHPian

Started from Chandigarh early morning, zipped through Kharar, Roopnagar, Nawanshahar, Banga and reached Phagwara Byepass in about 2.5 hours. The state highway 21 is superb. Saw couple of dirty accidents on the way (sorry no accident pictures). Request fellow bhpians to drive carefully.

Few farms on the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Superb “Punjab (Punj means 5 and Aab means water)” Noida, Chandigarh, Amritsar, Atari-punjab2010-141.jpg  

Superb “Punjab (Punj means 5 and Aab means water)” Noida, Chandigarh, Amritsar, Atari-punjab2010-142.jpg  

Superb “Punjab (Punj means 5 and Aab means water)” Noida, Chandigarh, Amritsar, Atari-punjab2010-143.jpg  

Superb “Punjab (Punj means 5 and Aab means water)” Noida, Chandigarh, Amritsar, Atari-punjab2010-144.jpg  

Old 31st March 2010, 15:25   #8
BHPian

NH1 from Phagwara to Amritsar is under construction at many places, but we did manage to enter Amritsar in time.
I had to click the Safari in front of me. (Cropped the picture removing the vehicle's details)
Attached Images

Old 31st March 2010, 15:28   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Punjab is called "God's Own Backyard"?

Fountain photos look great!
smartcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 15:31   #10
BHPian

India I guess is ALMIGHTY's favorite destination; where else do you find "God's Own Country" and "God's Own Backyard"?
Old 31st March 2010, 16:07   #11
BHPian

It was time to Visit Holy Shrine. Car parking is at about 1 KM distance from the golden temple and it can be difficult to walk the distance in heat, especially if you have to carry your child piggy back.

As always, the experience of visiting the shrine is soothing.

We were looking forward to the "Langar" after darshan and got into the line. I am amazed by the seva bhav of people there. I guess more than 40,000 people eat food in the dining hall in one day. Everybody sits on floor, no division of cast, creed, color or status, powerfully symbolizing the doctoring of religion "Equality of all people".
Attached Thumbnails
Superb “Punjab (Punj means 5 and Aab means water)” Noida, Chandigarh, Amritsar, Atari-punjab2010-047.jpg  

Superb “Punjab (Punj means 5 and Aab means water)” Noida, Chandigarh, Amritsar, Atari-punjab2010-049.jpg  

Superb “Punjab (Punj means 5 and Aab means water)” Noida, Chandigarh, Amritsar, Atari-punjab2010-052.jpg  

Superb “Punjab (Punj means 5 and Aab means water)” Noida, Chandigarh, Amritsar, Atari-punjab2010-059.jpg  

Old 31st March 2010, 16:11   #12
BHPian

After Golden Temple, it was time to pay homage to the martyrs. Jallian Wala Bagh is not more than 500 meters from Golden temple. The Bagh is noted for its notorious massacre under British rule. On April 13, 1919, when thousands had gathered to celebrate Bisakhi festival, the then Lieutenant Governor of the province, "General Dyer" though that it as a violation of the law and personally led the troops to the sight and ordered his men to open fire without any warning which is resulted in the death of many Indians.
Couple of pictures from the Bagh.
(the painting is the artists depiction of the massacre)
Attached Thumbnails
Superb “Punjab (Punj means 5 and Aab means water)” Noida, Chandigarh, Amritsar, Atari-punjab2010-064.jpg  

Superb “Punjab (Punj means 5 and Aab means water)” Noida, Chandigarh, Amritsar, Atari-punjab2010-065.jpg  

Old 31st March 2010, 16:53   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Punjab is called "God's Own Backyard"?
That's probably my way of looking at it .

Where else would you find such fertile land.
Old 31st March 2010, 17:03   #14
BHPian

Nice pics Sanjay; the farms in the pics look better than the ones on Farmville
Old 31st March 2010, 17:11   #15
BHPian

Walked to the parking, drank lot's of cold water and started towards Atari (Famously called as wagah Border). Getting out of City can be difficult sometimes. People in Punjab are very helpful. You ask for directions and there would be many explaining you the map. We asked a policeman for directions and he explained in detail.
I had to stop at the restaurant on the way..... because.......... (see the picture)
Visiting Atari is an amazing experience. The pictures say it all.
Attached Thumbnails
Superb “Punjab (Punj means 5 and Aab means water)” Noida, Chandigarh, Amritsar, Atari-punjab2010-072.jpg  

Superb “Punjab (Punj means 5 and Aab means water)” Noida, Chandigarh, Amritsar, Atari-punjab2010-075.jpg  

Superb “Punjab (Punj means 5 and Aab means water)” Noida, Chandigarh, Amritsar, Atari-punjab2010-077.jpg  

Superb “Punjab (Punj means 5 and Aab means water)” Noida, Chandigarh, Amritsar, Atari-punjab2010-078.jpg  

Superb “Punjab (Punj means 5 and Aab means water)” Noida, Chandigarh, Amritsar, Atari-punjab2010-082.jpg  

Superb “Punjab (Punj means 5 and Aab means water)” Noida, Chandigarh, Amritsar, Atari-punjab2010-090.jpg  

Superb “Punjab (Punj means 5 and Aab means water)” Noida, Chandigarh, Amritsar, Atari-punjab2010-112.jpg  

Superb “Punjab (Punj means 5 and Aab means water)” Noida, Chandigarh, Amritsar, Atari-punjab2010-114.jpg  

Superb “Punjab (Punj means 5 and Aab means water)” Noida, Chandigarh, Amritsar, Atari-punjab2010-120.jpg  

Superb “Punjab (Punj means 5 and Aab means water)” Noida, Chandigarh, Amritsar, Atari-punjab2010-122.jpg  

Superb “Punjab (Punj means 5 and Aab means water)” Noida, Chandigarh, Amritsar, Atari-punjab2010-125.jpg  

Superb “Punjab (Punj means 5 and Aab means water)” Noida, Chandigarh, Amritsar, Atari-punjab2010-132.jpg  

Superb “Punjab (Punj means 5 and Aab means water)” Noida, Chandigarh, Amritsar, Atari-punjab2010-134.jpg